Report: Mirror's Edge 2 Open World and Combat Details Jump Out

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Report: Mirror's Edge 2 Open World and Combat Details Jump Out

ME2ImageWall

According to someone who has seen footage of Mirror's Edge 2 in development, the title's open world environment will be a persistent "always online" component and is targeted for a 2016 release.

Announced at last year's E3, DICE's Mirror's Edge reboot -- more commonly known as Mirror's Edge 2 -- has been kept out of the spotlight with details being kept close to the studio's chest. Fortunately, Australian video game site Rocket Chainsaw has allegedly seen video content of the parkour action game and has spilled the beans on what they saw. According to the site, the footage we saw last year was all in real-time, and unscripted. What's more, the title's open world environment will be a persistent "always online" component, that's also being made as a "multiplayer playground" where players can drop-in and drop-out seamlessly. You can read up on the details leaked -- which was verified by a NeoGAF mod due to the poster's track record -- below.

- Faking nothing, the E3 2013 Mirror's Edge 2 teaser was indeed entirely real time and generally unscripted, including the combat systems. Rocket Chainsaw has now seen both in motion in test environments, and they match up, graphically and mechanically.

- Target platforms are Xbox One, PlayStation 4, PC, and Mac.

- Reiterating statements from DICE, Mirror's Edge 2 is a total reboot.

- Core goal of the reboot is to create an open world, living breathing city for you to explore.

- Part of this open world environment includes a persistent, "always online" component. The open world is considered a multiplayer "playground" where other plays can drop-in/drop-out seamlessly, freely choosing their level of interaction with other players and the game world. A comparison to Journey's online feature was given as the closest example.

- Other general multiplayer components include co-op and competitive modes, such as time trials

- Rebooting the universe means new enemies. Mirror's Edge 2 will include many AI opponents, some on equal footing to Faith. Among these are the standard cannon fodder Protectors, melee combat expert Sentinels, and armoured gun wielding Enforcers. We've been told that Faith does not have guns.

- DICE has taken on a lot of feedback from Mirror's Edge in shaping the combat system for Mirror's Edge 2. Heavy revisions have shaped the combat away from useless gunplay and one button combats (like the nut-punch) to a deeper system that emphasises speed and fluidity. Environment interaction is also a key feature of the combat system, Faith able to push, punch, and kick enemies out of the way, over ledges, tables, and railings. These physics driven interactions are combined with 1-2-3 punch/kick style combos, wall running, flips, and other martial arts moves, as well as brief grapples. Occasionally a third person take-down move will be used when an enemy is beaten, and "adaptive slow-motion" is used vary sparingly, mostly just to highlight cool sequences, like the E3 2013 trailer face punch. Rocket Chainsaw has seen all of these combat functions performed in real time, without scripting.

- While DICE are committed to providing a deeper combat system, melee combat is not the single focus of Mirror's Edge 2. DICE does not consider Mirror's Edge 2 as a brawler, but instead a racing game at heart. For the development team, the focus is on creating a game all about parkour: speed, fluidity, and mastery of your environment. Even these changes to the combat system are being done to prevent issues with Mirror's Edge where players would have a stretch of parkour with intermittent pace breaking stops to fight an opponent. DICE wishes to seamlessly integrate encounters and the combat system into the feeling of speed and parkour mastery, so players even while fighting are still on the move, making progress, and interacting with their environment.

- Its target release date is in 2016. Sorry kids. Fingers crossed it comes around earlier!

That last bit wasn't a typo. Mirror's Edge 2 is supposedly set for a 2016 release, which explains why EA hasn't been promoting it as much. When asked for a statement, an EA rep gave the standard, "We do not comment on rumors and speculation."

So, this Mirror's Edge reboot -- which we'll still call Mirror's Edge 2 until EA gives us a proper title -- will be an open-world, always-online parkour game with a revamped combat system? If true, then count me in. But do keep in mind that none of the details listed have been verified by DICE or EA, so don't be surprised if some things change.

Are you liking what you've read so far? What other improvements can DICE make to make Faith's PS4 and Xbox One debut a success?

Source: Rocket Chainsaw via NeoGAF

Always online and seamless multiplayer are redflags as far as I'm concerned.
Throwing server lag and forced multiplayer into something as twitchy and hard to pull off as firt person parkour is not something to be getting excited about.

Oh please no open world crap. Like we don't have enough of this, already.

Oh gods, 'Always Online' and EA in the same article is always bad news.

Lets hope you'll have the option to be able to putter around by yourself offline as I'm rather leery of those two words, especially with EA.

Having Journey style multiplayer is a plus however.

"always online component" This is going to seem a bit pointles but FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK YOU EA.

Online component? Really? Are they going to say that this will be a 4-people MMO? Why the hell do they keep trying to push this, it doesn't work, and the are just plain old liers when it comes to their "but it can't be done any other way" practices.

I think what they mean by "always online" is something like Test Drive Unlimited or Dark Souls where you dont have Singleplayer and Multiplayer as seperate entities, not necessarily "you have to have an online connection to play the game at all"

If it's "online" in the same way Borderlands 2 or Dark Souls were (i.e: completely optional), then I'm ok with that.

I still love the first game and, as long as the new one doesn't regress in any way, I reckon I'll love it too.

Kron_the_mad:
Always online and seamless multiplayer are redflags as far as I'm concerned.

Yeah, I honestly just stopped giving a shit about this game. I didn't really give much of a shit before because I didn't trust EA to make it anymore, but I really don't give a shit now.

Why does Mirror's Edge need multiplayer? It was one of the best games I played last gen and it did that on the strength of the single player gameplay alone. I'm not going to play a game that forces me to play multiplayer when that's not what I want. Especially if it's going to be more always online bullshit. No thanks EA, I like to play my single player games whenever the hell I want. Not whenever the hell your servers are working.

mindfaQ:
Oh please no open world crap. Like we don't have enough of this, already.

Yeah, because linearity in a parkour game that emphasizes fluidity and speed is a great idea. I had so much fun running around rooftops only to accidentally jump to my death because I wasn't following the EXACT path the game had laid out for me. (sarcasm)

OT: EA and always online are never a good mix; I predict a repeat of SimCity. I don't even understand why they need to make a shared overworld. On the other hand, having a gang of Runners doing a story mission together sounds like fun - provided co-op extends past time trials into the story mode.

It says that their always online component will be similar to Journey, but that can't be right, because I played Journey offline. This just seems like another flimsy excuse for always-on DRM. Glad EA learned so much from the SimCity launch.

Always online? Motherfucker! God damn it, knock that shit off!

A game that had boundaries and built a brilliant game inside them. The answer is not always to go online and make it open world, and Mirror's Edge is one of those.

Then again I can't say the loss of Pratchett and the Emo-style makeover has impressed me thus far.

Oh god no please no always online bullshit. As Kron_the_mad said this game sounds like it'll require precision and it's pretty hard to do that in an online game where you can lag at any moment. And please don't let this mean there won't be much of a story. I don't want multiplayer in this.

I can live with an open world, and the changes they're making to the combat/running sound neat... but please don't let the always online multiplayer world be true...

Crap.

Always online and forced multiplayer, on top of the earlier announced Sarkeesian involvement...

My interest in this game has hit zero.

As long as the always online nonsense doesn't detract from the playing the single player offline ala dark souls, I'm ok with it.

If you can not communicate with the other players at all, as in you see them as other runners,not Faith, doing their thing, That could be pretty awesome. Jumping from across a gap, as another runner goes in the opposite drection with a quick nod. I'd be down with that.

Just please don't say the Jorney reference is a red herrying and this might not suck total balls. EA and online are two things that live to diapoint.

So lemme get this straight.
It's a reboot to a game that is barely five years old.
It's now open world.
It has an always online component.
Take this all and add to it the fact that it's made by EA.

CHOO-CHOO! THE DISASTER TRAIN IS SET TO ARRIVE IN 2016!

Always online? So EA will never learn, huh? I bet the developer will soon come out and say how always online is totally their idea. Fuck this noise. I'm no longer interested. Unless I'm wrong and there is still an offline component.

Everyone is complaining about the always-online, but I'm worried about the combat. I liked combat in Mirror's Edge, especially the wall-running-kick and the two in the balls, one in the chin approach.

Alex Co:
...the title's open world environment will be a persistent "always online" component--

...aaaaand I'm out. Seriously, EA, I don't know why I have to keep telling you to go stick your always-online games right back up your ass. I was sure you'd have gotten the message by now.

[shuddering breath]

I'm not "disinterested", but DICE clearly not knowing how to do the combat last time around (I literally avoided all of it, and completely successfully minus two encounters) and the always-online persistent world have majorly narrowed the line the game has to balance on.

Mirror's Edge remains the best game I've ever played, so I'm going to end up with the new one no matter what, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't nervous as hell.

That said, "treating it as a racing game" with exploratory open world components is absolutely the correct thing to do.

Always Online and Multiplayer focus huh...

Welp I had a mild interest in the first given how people I know seemed to like it, but I guess that's one more game for the "Don't Buy" list.

not happy with the always online part. but as long i can move around by my self and play as faith without interacting with other players, then i might love it as well. till this day i still love the first game and i so hope that part 2 will not suck.

even if this info is not yet confirmed, it does not really sound amazing to me but i rather wait until official infos are out before i jump to any conclusion.

Personally, in spite of the always online crap I'd be willing to buy the game solely for the open world elements.

I mean for God's sake, the city in Mirror's Edge may have been the most beautiful place in any single videogame. If we're able to explore that to a greater degree, to visit those shining spires in the distance... I'd be quite pleased. Though here's hoping we'll be able to go ground level on more than one ocassion.

I want to know if the 'always-online' means you have to be connected to the internet to play the game at all, because they're talking it up like it's an optional extra rather than a requirement, but this is still EA.

I mean, come on EA, I want a sequel as much as this guy

lacktheknack:
Snip.

but I don't know what my situation is going to be like two years from now, and I trust EA's servers even less than I do Blizzard's. Don't duff this one up by pulling another Darkspore or SimCity. Please? For Mirror's Edge?

OH FUCK GODDAMMIT NO WAY IN HELL.

I was excited for this game, but now it's gonna be more of this "open world always online" bullshit? No fucking thank you. I'd be fine with open world, but the thought of having to share my freerunning paradise with other people (and being unable to play offline) is not something I want to have to deal with. This was gonna be the game that was finally gonna end my EA games boycott. Lol, looks like they'll never learn. Oh well, at least I get the enjoyment of watching them fail to secure enough servers for the fourth time in a row, or however they're gonna fuck this one up.

Still I'm really fucking pissed about that always online bullshit. I just won't put up with that in a game and so now I can't get this one. I might, might, still get it if I can choose to play by myself, but if not EA can kiss my $60 goodbye.

Oh my.

I think they said just about everything I wanted to hear.

As in, fucking everything. Every one of my worries, concern and hopes was addressed in there.

- Full on reboot. Awesome. The original had some vaguely cool ideas, but the execution was pretty horrible. I'd rather they just wipe the slate rather than trying to wrangle a sequential sequel out of it.

- Open world. FOr once, I approve. I don't like the way open world turns everything into a commute between the interesting bits. But the mechanics of Mirror's Edge are about getting from Point A to Point B. Being able to pick you path between the two would be a huge improvement.

- Faith doesn't use guns. Sweeeeeet. Was worried they'd turn it into a shooter.

- I see a bunch of people getting preemptively sore about the online stuff. But they're comparing it to the Journey approach, which is something I'd love to see more of. Curious about how it'll turn out.

- Treating it as a racing game at heart rather than a brawler. Perfect.

- Stuff about combat sounds good, but I'd have to see it in action to judge. Love the idea of being able to knock enemies into the environment though, so long as they give the physics some weight. Which, if the teaser trailer (apparently made of actual game footage) is any indication, they have. Reminds me of how in Dishonored sometimes killing a guard with a sword would knock them backwards. It was always immensely satisfying when it sent them tumbling over a railed or crashing into a glass cabinet. Would freaking love to see a game really do that properly. Fingers crossed indeed.

Not gonna lie, I'm... I'm a little turned on right now.

Zhukov:

- I see a bunch of people getting preemptively sore about the online stuff. But they're comparing it to the Journey approach, which is something I'd love to see more of. Curious about how it'll turn out.

I'm a bit anxious to hear more about what they really mean on that end.

On the one hand, Journey never forced an online connection on the player, so if they take that to heart then it'd be interesting to see what they can do with it.

On the other hand, EA doesn't let the word "subtle" enter into their dictionary. Ever. So I feel like there's a greater chance for them to miss the point completely and just slap an online requirement onto the game rather than letting the players choose whether they enter into this online community or not.

I'm not making my final judgement on my purchasing decision simply based on this information, but it's leaning me more and more towards being wary than I'd like for another Mirror's Edge game.

Zhukov:
snip

Your optimism is greatly appreciated. I needed some at this point.

If it does turn out to be a Journey-style online component, that would be tolerable. Heck, everyone seems to love the idea for "Star Citizen", so I'm going to happy-face it and hope.

Always online complaints are justifiable. But complaining about it being open world? Wasn't one of the major criticism of the first game that it was too linear? That a more open world would only benefit the game?

Seriously, everyone is creating biased opinions on a game that has TWO WHOLE YEARS before you need to completely worry about that stuff. How about you fucking wait a little bit.

It was rather stupid of them to use the phrase "always-online" considering its connotations to intrusive DRM. If some of the people in this thread actually bothered to read, they would see that the online component doesn't sound that dissimilar to Dark Souls.

What's been reported here sounds rather good, actually. However, it is EA, so I won't rule out the possibility of them completely fucking it up.

Dire Trout:

Alex Co:
...the title's open world environment will be a persistent "always online" component--

...aaaaand I'm out.

This exactly
Btw, why in the world is this a reboot, it's not like the original was story intensive.
The only good(ish) news is that of improved combat, not because I want combat but when I needed it in a emergency I couldn't do it because... well I forget because it's been so long since I played it, but combat equalled death for me.

Zhukov:
Oh my.

I think they said just about everything I wanted to hear.

-snip-

That's precisely my problem with this: they're simply telling us, fans of the original, what we want to hear. Based on the previous comment:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/125341-Mirrors-Edge-2-Was-Always-Going-To-Happen

the notion of constantly running away wasn't maybe greatly perceived... What I can say is we're taking more of an action adventure approach on it than maybe before.

I'm on edge, no pun intended, that the people they're listening to and wanting to attract are not those that understood "Faith is fragile, (pardon the play on words) and combat must be avoided if at all possible, but those that played it and felt "What do you mean she has to run away all the time? That's stupid. This sucks."

- DICE has taken on a lot of feedback from Mirror's Edge in shaping the combat system for Mirror's Edge 2. Heavy revisions have shaped the combat away from useless gunplay and one button combats (like the nut-punch) to a deeper system that emphasises speed and fluidity.

I'd bet that "deeper system" is one that allows Faith to go toe to toe with foes, rather than trying to evade them. The gunplay in the original was "useless" by design. The point was to make it so cumbersome that evasion was your first, second and third choice.

- DICE wishes to seamlessly integrate encounters and the combat system into the feeling of speed and parkour mastery, so players even while fighting are still on the move, making progress, and interacting with their environment..

Did anyone not already get this feeling in the original, after you learned the paths and the enemy locations? To me this reads like "we want you to stop and kick ass, but look so cool doing it that you don't feel the 'break in flow' the way you did in the original." IMO, those "breaks in flow" made the game feel more realistic and more tense. They let me know that I screwed up. Yes, it was pretty unforgiving in areas, but that's what I played the game for. I'm all for Faith being able to mantle over a table, slide across it, kick some guy in the chest and keep running. What I'm not looking forward is to Faith realizing that she's in the matrix, kicks off a wall, takes a guy down with a hurracanrana, lands on her feet, vaults over a charging guard in order to crush another with a double knee drop, and then backward roll to sweep the legs of the guard that she vaulted over.

Mmmm oh how i love spoonfed always online shoehorned multiplayer components in sequels for titles that were originally singleplayer. EA just getting this down to a science now, how to ruin game franchises.

Press X to parkour!
Shoehorned military wanking combat sequences!

The gift that keeps on giving

Pumped. Excellent news. I've gone from buying hundreds of games a year to FOUR games a year. The longevity issues being addressed mean I can keep this game on my radar.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here