Teen Kills Own Grandmother After Scolding - Update

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

DotA you say? Enough objective facts in fact screw objective facts, I could not care less, video games clearly must be to blame... What?

No seriously, does anyone ever notice how it's always these games which create an obsessive and compulsive need to play all the freaking time, not to mention complain like an imbecile at other players who aren't like that? No? Yeah I'd ignore that too actually.

Tragic and of course it has nothing to do with video games, any particular one anyway, no this was always going to be about culture and like it or not video games have to fit in somewhere no matter how much it might seem like they don't or nobody wants them to.

That is if anyone wants to be able to continue enjoying them in any kind of civilised fashion that doesn't go out the window the moment anything bad, ie like this story or a new one comes up.

Fasckira:

A-D.:
This is sensationalism at its finest. Its actually got nothing to do with Video games.

Agreed. Poor show, Escapist.

Yeah, I have to agree. They got all the way home before it happened, there's not really anything linking the manslaughter(/murder?) to DOTA right now. You know, other than the headline.

Adam Jensen:
Maybe the grandma deserved it.

Jaime de Jesus, dude, what kind of horrible awful outlook do you have that allows for anyone to "deserve" being beaten to death?

Sounds like the kid had some serious issues brewing that finally boiled over. Could have been anything that set him off, but it happened to be DOTA.

And now we prepare for fox news to ignore the real problems. I'm going to go watch adventure time and try to forget this world exists.

You know, my grandma used to** drive me up the wall with her nagging. But to kill someone ... you have got to be a psychopath.

Of course the kid's lawyers will try to blame this and that, among of which would be the easy target that is the game.

** She passed away from cancer at 98 if you are wondering.

The title is very misleading, completely so in fact. This is absurdly ignorant journalism, the same kind of thing that has caused genuine problems elsewhere.

"Teen kills grandmother after scolding" with DotA or whatever other game it could have been in this context as a distant point of interest.

EDIT: Honestly whatever this might or might not have to do with video games what annoys me the most is how the potential mental health issues or other social issues are completely ignored here. Can we blame a third party that can't defend itself/we're not responsible for? Yes we can! Lets blame that instead of addressing the potential social or mental issues that might be in play here, and while we're at it why don't we sensationalise the whole affair by reporting it exclusively from the video game angle

Allow me to posit a similar title.

Man has brain aneurysm caused by reading terrible journalism

A 40 year old male has died of a brain aneurysm. Earlier that day he had read and commented on what he referred to as "ignorant journalism", clearly these two events are directly connected. Ignoring all other possible explanations, potential physical causes and any other vectors in investigation along with a sensationalist title is going to get us page views. Man I haven't had it this easy since I worked at FOX news.

With all seriousness this is ridiculous, whether or not it attracts views I don't think the Escapist is going to do much to distinguish itself in the massive pack of similar sites by doing a copy-paste on 4 day old news with a deliberately sensationalised title.

Why do these things relating to video games keep happening in the philippines?

Serious question and i know its a bit offtopic but, why philippines and in general asian countries?
I read something similar to this a few months ago about a chinese kid stabbing his mom to death after not being able to play League of Legends.

Why these countries, why these genres?

What's this got to do with gaming? The report clearly says that he was picked up, went home, got a telling off and then flipped and went all Norman Bates on his nan. Nowhere is it even indicated that he went off on one because she interrupted his game.

Also the report on this site is almost word for word as it is in the source except for this little omission

"The aunt told police the boy was always scolded by his grandmother" Source

When did the escapist turn into Fox News?

WouldYouKindly:
This is like a Fox News wet dream; Foreign teenager from a broken home kills grandma over videogames! They couldn't invent a better story to push their agenda.

Lets not forget that he's also not white. The only way that it could be a full house is if he was a Muslim.

Personally, I blame Obamacare. Or Putin.

"It's a night to celebrate when nobody dies on your block."

That's an old saying about the Phillipines. No pie or punch for them tonight; it's horrible that this happened. Many people say it's because the police are too aggresive, some people say they're not aggresive enough, it's to do with money, with drugs...

Perhaps the worst thing about this is that it happened to someone who's probably never touched a video game for an extended period; which pretty mcuh everyone this generation and the one before has.

I also imagine that Fox News'll jump at this like a jaguar would a young child, and milk it for all it's worth.

Correct title for article should be.
"Mentally disturbed person murders grandmother."

trigger relevant only to psychologists and fearmongers.

Honestly I feel pretty bad for the boy. From what it sounds like he basically lost control of himself and couldn't do anything about it. I have a few relatives who have had the same thing happen to them (not the killing part, just the blackout followed by violence that they don't remember). I know that if I was the boy I would be devastated. It definitely seems like he feels guilty over this. It doesn't really excuse what he did but I can't help but feel bad for him.

Li Mu:

Lets not forget that he's also not white. The only way that it could be a full house is if he was a Muslim.

The Philippines is over 90% Christian. Less than 5% are Muslim. So it's not very likely.

I hope he is punished appropriately, there is no excuse killing your grandmother over something as stupid as DOTA2.

JakobBloch:
Lets take a step back here.

The kid said he blacked out. When he comes to he realises that he is actually cleaning up the crime scene. He then goes to another family member to seek aid in what to do. After surveying the scene, they go to the authorities.

Judging by this I wager that the DOTA game had little to nothing to do with the actual man-slaughter. This is a case where we the public don't really have enough information to build a reasonable conclusion.

Was the grandma a loving custodian or had she been the horror of the kids life? Has the kid shown previous signs of uncontrollable anger? We know the kid was from a broken home. When did this happen? He has 2 living parents. Why were they not taking care of him?

This is a sensational story with very little meat on it. It is meant to inflame but not actually bring any facts to light.

I wanted to make a Big Lebowski joke (The officer's name is De Jesus), but I won't. What came to mind next was this (Presuming he was telling the truth regarding his "blackout"):"Please, take me away before I hurt anyone else." That, or he really needs help. Wonder what drove him to that point.

A-D.:
This is sensationalism at its finest. Its actually got nothing to do with Video games. The attack happened after he got home, where he doesnt have a computer to play since he played it at a computer shop in the neighborhood instead. So it didnt happen DURING the playing of the game, but after. If the interruption of said playtime was the trigger, it would have happened at the store or directly after, not when he got home and got scolded.

Which means the scolding was the trigger to it happening, we dont know what was said other than that scolding happened, it may as well have been about how he didnt brush his teeth. Its fair to assume he was pissed that he had to stop playing, but that doesnt mean he beat his Grandmother to death because of it.

Seriously stop trying to spin this into some gaming-related incident when games werent even part of the factors as it happened.

Pretty much sums up my feelings. This article is more to do with mental health disorders than video games.

I mean, I guess if a murder takes a cup of coffee before going out and killing someone, it's obviously because of the cup of coffee.

It can barely even be connected at all this time around.

I gotta call bullshit on this headline too. You're not helping with the video game violence issue at all with sensationalist crap like that.

Broken family, blacking out, turning himself in to the authorities after figuring out what happened... Sounds like genuine insanity to me. Damn tragic, but almost certainly unrelated to the game.

Edit: the house doesn't even have a computer in it, and this story is roughly 70% sensationalist bullshit. The kid needs help (and likely confinement, at least for a while), and the media needs to shut up about video games already.

Alex Co:

JakobBloch:
snip

Philippines is a third-world country. Kids not having parents happens a lot. Also, grandma scolding him due to playing Dota is the most likely cause of his anger and blacking out.

nodlimax:
snip

See above. Regardless of what triggered it, kid has issues. He could have run off, find a job and lived by himself...killing someone should never be a resort.

"Most likely cause" doesn't mean it's a fact. We don't know, and the article should reflect that. We have shit thrown at our hobby a lot, making it seem like we are all just waiting to snap because we like playing video games, and you're not helping by writing sensationalist articles. At least own up to that.

In addition to this being only tenuously linked to video games, both uses of 'whom' in this article are incorrect. In each case, 'who' is correct.

I know this seems like a trivial and petty point but I still expect some minimal standard of journalism from the escapist; that includes the correct use of grammar and editing.

deadish:
You know, my grandma used to** drive me up the wall with her nagging. But to kill someone ... you have got to be a psychopath.

Psychopathy doesn't cause blackouts. A psychopath wouldn't stop in the middle of cleaning up, horrified, and go to the authorities, they would probably finish up and pretend nothing happened or start formulating a cover story. The kid's definitely crazy, maybe some sort of schizophrenia? There's not much info to go on here for specifics.

A-D.:
This is sensationalism at its finest. Its actually got nothing to do with Video games. The attack happened after he got home, where he doesnt have a computer to play since he played it at a computer shop in the neighborhood instead. So it didnt happen DURING the playing of the game, but after. If the interruption of said playtime was the trigger, it would have happened at the store or directly after, not when he got home and got scolded.

Unless confirmed by police reports that the minor was angry at his grandma for interrupting his dota game at 6pm, then yes this is sensationalist.
Just because the boy attacked at home doesn't mean he didn't do it because of the game.

There's obviously more to this, but until we get the exact details... we're left with what we have.

To me, this is truly sad. In most cases, people wouldn't normally kill someone that has raised them all their life. Perhaps mental issues are at bay, but the boy could be lying about blacking out. Who knows exactly. What's to really drive someone into killing another human being over a video game? Could of been over the fact there was no milk in the fridge, or the scolding itself was enough to snap someone's mentality. You never know...

Karadalis:

saltyanon:

teh_Canape:

the philippines cause teens to turn violent
it's a known fact

The award for that should go to the USA. It has exponentially more school shootings than the Philippines.

It also has exponentially more schools and more kids going to said schools then the Philippines... OH SNAP!

Seriously thought the number of violent crimes has been getting lower and lower for years now despite EVERYTHING.

The news coverages of these extreme incidents however make it seem that they happen all the time....

It's the echo chamber effect of the 24 hour news cycle. Remember that 'Summer of the Shark' a few years back when t6hey were hyping shark attacks. FUnny story, that year actually had fewer shark attacks than most other years.

Same for violent crime... there are fewer incidents but the incidents are repeated a 100 times from a 100 different5 soruces

toms:

Glaice:
I hope he is punished appropriately, there is no excuse killing your grandmother over something as stupid as DOTA2.

It didn't say DOTA2 anywhere you assbutt, it's DOTA.
Also, as has been stated, it's pretty clear the kid was already messed up. And it didn't even say he killed her because of DOTA, maybe she refused to give him a cookie or something.

Is the numeral truly worth the namecalling?
Just saying.
I'm not trying to pick a fight or anything.

OT:
This is indeed some sensationalist newswriting. There's hardly any information available so I'll not form an opinion about this as of yet.

He wasn't even playing the game at the time? I thought maybe she walked in while he was playing, but he was nowhere near the game at the time. This kid has some serious anger issues.

Wow, now the title's got changed. This doesn't take away the incredibly poor job of journalism this article makes up.

Alex Co:

Killing your own grandma whom raised you herself over a game? That's just a new level of low.

Since even the source article doesn't really assure the interruption of his game made the boy flip - apart from the title and the opening paragraph, the article fails to point out the significance of what the boy was doing before his grandmother fetched him - one cannot assume as a reasonable journalist what needs to be assumed to state the remark above.

Excluding one bit of, as some could argue, crucial information from the source article in the OP - I'm reffering to the line "The aunt told police the boy was always scolded by his grandmother." - might even imply an explicit intent of sensationalism rather than a just a bit too gullible journalist.

The source is too weak to make it into an article on here, as there is close to zero background information on what might have incited the boy to kill his grandmother. And in my opinion it is highly disrespectful to what happend to imply his doing was caused by trivialities.

I am appaled, Escapist.

Lyri:

A-D.:

Unless confirmed by police reports that the minor was angry at his grandma for interrupting his dota game at 6pm, then yes this is sensationalist.
Just because the boy attacked at home doesn't mean he didn't do it because of the game.

Actually, its sort of implies it. The fact that he states he blacked out, which to be fair is a tenious defense as far as that goes since it cant be proven or disproven easily, and since the report goes further to say that when he realized what had happened that he went to get help and report what happened means that it was an affect-reaction rather than any kind of premeditated action.

He didnt plan it out on the way home, otherwise he wouldnt have said anything, even IF he realized after the fact that it was dumb you dont incriminate yourself. Therefore it is likely to assume that he wasnt happy on the way home, but the scolding, whatever it was about triggered the reaction and he flew into rage which by the way CAN cause black-outs because at some point, the higher brain functions just shut down and you revert to animalistic instincts.

In short no matter what, the game didnt cause it directly therefore it is false to imply that it did, regardless of how you spin this. I might get angry if somebody interrupts me in the middle of watching a movie, but that doesnt mean if i get angry later because i stubbed my toe that it was caused by the movie-interruption.

Alex Co:
Dota

It's DotA, not Dota, Dota is the one that's trademarked by Valve.

That said, get your facts straight, ABS-CBN is the Philippine equivalent of Fox News Network.

lacktheknack:

Adam Jensen:

Jaime de Jesus, dude, what kind of horrible awful outlook do you have that allows for anyone to "deserve" being beaten to death?

Personal experience. If you knew my grandmother (on my father's side) you'd know what I mean. I'm pretty sure my grandmother is a psychopath. And I seriously mean that. She is insane. She threw an axe at me once when I was 8 years old (luckily she missed) and she tried to poison my mother. I could go on and on about what she's capable of and what else she's done, but I think this paints a pretty good picture already. Evil people can grow old as well.

Adam Jensen:

lacktheknack:

Adam Jensen:

Personal experience. If you knew my grandmother (on my father's side) you'd know what I mean. I'm pretty sure my grandmother is a psychopath. And I seriously mean that. She is insane. She threw an axe at me once when I was 8 years old (luckily she missed) and she tried to poison my mother. I could go on and on about what she's capable of and what else she's done, but I think this paints a pretty good picture already. Evil people can grow old as well.

Went through something similar to this as well.

An hour kneeling on rocks and salt in front of a crowd, with arms outstretched with books on each hand and a hit from the belt if either books fell was the stuff I used to get back when I was a kid.

I was glad when I got off the Philippines, because that was finally the end of the shitty experience with my grand aunt. Many kids in the Philippines have issues, and the reasoning behind it isn't the videogames but the people around them themselves.

Please double check sources in the future writer person, this type of story is misleading and harmful to the gaming community.

Also people who skimmed it and pounced into the comments in ecstatic glee for a chance to shake their head and look down on this "new low" should also take more time to read things. Misinformation is bad, mm'kay?

Angry teen from broken home slaughters Grandmother. Teen enjoys kornflakes for breakfast. Is this the start of a corn based cereal related murder bonanza!?

Hey, guys, established what happened prior to the incident is important in understanding the entire event. So, the fact that he was playing a game is relevant to the facts of the case. If he were watching Spongebob Squarepants prior to killing his grandmother THAT would be relevant to the events. It gives a picture of what transpired. That does not mean it was responsible for what happened! And this story is relevant to the users of this site because it is largely a gaming site.

Stop being so sensitive.

Anyway, I gotta say that this is a rather sad thing to read. I can't imagine harming my grandmother or grandfather. Mind you, they are about the kindest people in the world. I can't say that this boy's grandmother was, but it's still a rather sad thing to read that someone was killed so mercilessly by their own family. I won't assume the worst of the victim in this case, though. Smacks of attempting to blame the victim. Regardless, I would think the boy has to feel some regret over the incident.

I hope that this is handled in a proper fashion. However, I can't really say what that fashion may be.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here