This War of Mine Will Turn Players Into Helpless Civilians

Pages 1 2 NEXT

This War of Mine Will Turn Players Into Helpless Civilians

11 Bit Studios says This War of Mine will be "a dark survival" game centered around the trials of life in a war zone.

When it comes to war, video games have established a pretty firm standard on what the player's role is. You're the soldier fighting in the streets, the pilot in the sky backing them up or, in strategy titles, the commander guiding them as they charge into battle. If 11 Bit Studios has its way though, players will be experiencing a side of war seldom seen in the realm of gaming: that of the suffering civilians.

The Poland-based studio recently unveiled this vision in an announcement trailer for its new game This War of Mine. The trailer sadly doesn't show any gameplay but it does manage to be fairly chilling, focusing in on a typical looking war sequence that slowly transitions into an apartment where a family is dealing with the death of a loved one caught in the fighting.

Speaking about the game, 11 Bit Studios described it as "a dark survival game" where "the focus is shifted away from military operations" and will instead be turned toward controlling "a group of civilians trying to stay alive in a besieged city." According to lead designer Michal Drozdowski the game will be based in part on real life events. "This can happen in your city, in your country," he said. "We decided to work around this idea and make something real, something that moves people and makes them stop think for a second. It's about time that games, just like any other art form, start talking about important things."

Obviously we haven't seen any of the actual game yet, but just from the trailer and the description it's looking like an exciting and original experience. What do you think? Could you get behind being a helpless civilian or would you rather keep war titles focused on the flash, bang and boom of conflict?

Source: 11 Bit Studios

Damn, this looks like a really interesting idea. I really hope that they manage to pull this off successfully.

I'm in! What a great setting for a survival game. That song! So eerie, I love it. I want to use it for a Dungeon im running on Friday.

The 5% optimist in me is intrigued.
The rest of me is waving it off because it'll just be another PVP grief fest like all of the other survival games out there. DayZ? Rust? Had nothing to do with surviving zombies, it's about surviving whoever has the most stuff.

I'm not a huge CoD fan but when I play a level that takes place in a civilian area I always think to myself "I want to play as a civilian trying to save his family and I don't want failure to be the only option" because the stuff civilians go through is just as much a part of war. It's something that's disappointed me in every war based game I've ever played. I just hope we'll be able to grab a gun occasionally. Not because I need everything to be "Kill the enemies" but because if you were trying to defend yourself you would grab a gun if given the chance too and not being able to do so would destroy my suspension of disbelief. Maybe it wouldn't always be the best solution but you should at least have the option.

Hi Makabriel pesimist.
It's not PVP. It's a serious game - single player experience - where you control a group of civilians. The idea behind is about the war as seen from the perspective of civilians.

thx
Pawel (writer from 11 bit)

I'm not going to throw down money for a game based on a teaser trailer, but if 11 Bit Studios' goal was to get me to keep up on current affairs regarding their upcoming game, then mission accomplished!

SilverStuddedSquirre:
I'm in! What a great setting for a survival game. That song! So eerie, I love it. I want to use it for a Dungeon im running on Friday.

The melody is from the 1969 hit "Gyöngyhajú lány" from Hungarian rock band "Omega".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fs-PQXbpu0o

Now that is a smart idea!

Wujek Grga:
Hi Makabriel pesimist.
It's not PVP. It's a serious game - single player experience - where you control a group of civilians. The idea behind is about the war as seen from the perspective of civilians.

thx

Sound awesome.

PS: Please dont use words like serious or matur to describe your game.

this sounds far more interesting than Call of Duty. Way to make modern war games original.

This sounds awesome. I can't believe I haven't seen that idea used in video games before (it probably was and I'm just not aware of it, but still; it's rare for sure). Definitely going to keep an eye on this one.

Shut up and take my money!

This is a fantastic premise, and I am very interested in seeing the finished product. I'll definitely be following this thing going forward. With any luck, it'll be as good as my imagination paints it.

Wujek Grga:
Hi Makabriel pesimist.

thx

Try not to let it bother you, this site can be VERY cynical sometimes.

It's. About. Time.

I've been thinking for a while that this is what we needed. We've had WAY too many games centered around the glorification of war. THIS is the sort of thing we need more of if we're going to explore gaming as storytelling medium: we have a glut of the video game equivalent of storming the beach in Saving Private Ryan; we need games that explore the OTHER themes and ideas in that film, themes of personal loss and sacrifice, ideas and themes that are hardly explored in bigger-budget games.

The idea sounds interesting. If this is pulled off correctly, I will pick it up.

i wont get too exited for this.

i have seen so many games trying to depict the ugly side of war and conflict that is absent in military shooters only to see them get cancelled.

SilverStuddedSquirre:
That song! So eerie, I love it.

Greetings from Poland.

The concept has a lot of promise; even better that it's a single player game.

I'm a little worried there isn't even a hint about when it's coming out.

.. All of my yes. Please, take it.

I'm not the first to think of this, but I always wondered how civilians would play in a role of war. Obviously in real life, it'd be terrifying and i've seen movies based on such events. But, I never got to play as one in a video game. This is a chance to blow everyone's mind away.

Not to mention, it can be very emotional. If they do it like the story telling that TellTales does it, with great scenes and heart stopping moments like the trailer here did... oh, we'd have ourselves a memorable game indeed.

Oh so this game I imagined comes to life, but not the one in which doctor who travels back in time, fits a cyborg implant on a dinosaur, then uses the dinosaur to chew daleks into tiny tiny bits.

I mean I'm not even a who fan but I really want to play that.

I'll be interested to keep an eye on this project.

Very interested in this. I really want it to turn out as promissing as it sounds.

flying_whimsy:
The concept has a lot of promise; even better that it's a single player game.

I'm a little worried there isn't even a hint about when it's coming out.

A dev already confirmed that it is singleplayer in a post above yours.

I am behind this one hundred percent.
Looking back on it, this is a serious "Why hasn't anyone else thought of this?" kind of idea. I do understand why but goodness, we should have a game like this by now.

Could, be an option, but a terrible one, since then both sides would see you as a threat and shoot you on sight. If you want to save your family it would be better just to keep your head down, not start a one-man guerilla. In a zombie apocalypse, you might survive longer if you are armed, not so much as a neutral in a warzone.

Well that seems like a pretty unexplored angle they're going for. That being said, we don't really know anything yet. The one thing i'd like to know if it's based in real-world events, or if it's a non-descript setting. Could very much influence the impact of the game and the decisions you make.

As far as teasers go it's excellent. Really makes me want to know what kinda game it's actually going to be.

Makabriel:
The 5% optimist in me is intrigued.
The rest of me is waving it off because it'll just be another PVP grief fest like all of the other survival games out there. DayZ? Rust? Had nothing to do with surviving zombies, it's about surviving whoever has the most stuff.

Wujek Grga:
Hi Makabriel pesimist.

thx

Just helping to bring this to Makabriel's attention in case he doesn't notice it.

OT: It sounds like an interesting game. Too often, military shooters (and other military media) get so gung-ho with jingoism that we forget there's another side to such tales. I haven't seen these sorts of perspectives being looked at before, at least in video games, so it's at least caught my interest.

There was another game similar to this, only you play as a war photographer. What every happened to that one?

I definitely like the premise of it, at least. Hope to hear and see more about it in time.

Qvar:
-snip-

I know, that's why I said that it's even better that it's single player. :P I love when devs actually come onto the forums.

It'll be nice to have some intellectual counterpoints to the mob of modern military shooters.

Sounds interesting, getting to see a war from another perspective. Especially given how over-saturated we are with titles like Call Of Duty, Battlefield, etc. Also am I the only one thinking how awesome it would be if there were different endings and events based on your decision? Like, you can pick up a gun and try to be a Rambo, but that would attract the attention and ire of all the other highly-trained soldiers around you, who would begin hunting you actively?

YES! YES! This is excellent! I have wanted a game like this since Spec Ops: the Line!

Win32error:
Well that seems like a pretty unexplored angle they're going for. That being said, we don't really know anything yet. The one thing i'd like to know if it's based in real-world events, or if it's a non-descript setting.

Any setting becomes nondescript eventually, if you blow it to dust.

"It's about time that games, just like any other art form, start talking about important things."

This. I look forward to games like this more than any other. NOTHING could make me happier than seeing a game like this work and do well. Spec-Ops: The Line anyone? Hopefully "This War of Mine" (LOVE the name) will be a financial and critical success.

Here's wishing you all the BEST of luck 11 Bit!!!

Sounds like a pretty good idea. Im not going to pre-order it but I wouldn't mind buying this if it is actually a survival experience for civilians.

I just hope that being a civilian doesn't just mean that its a usual shooter but you kill both the red and the blue guys!

I can understand the need for violence at some points but im hoping that for most of the game you are not killing trained soldiers as a civilian.

Finally! I was getting really tired of the "war is glorious and killing is patriotic" viewpoint most war games recently have taken. Glad we're getting a game that reminds us war is hell - even better with the player as civilians.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here