Amazon Prime Price Jumps to $99 on April 17th

Amazon Prime Price Jumps to $99 on April 17th

Amazon Small Logo 310x

The premium service sees a 25 percent price bump to offset low Amazon earnings.

Amazon is officially raising the annual fee for its premium Amazon Prime service from $79 to $99 a year.

The 25 percent-ish price hike will help Amazon offset lower than expected earnings from 2013.

If your Amazon Prime subscription renews on or after April 17th, the yearly price will be $99. Those of you (myself included) who renew before April 17th get to stick with the $79 annual cost until 2015.

Amazon Prime Student is also seeing a jump from $39 a year to $49 (in other words, 50 percent off $99 instead of $79), while the $299 price tag on Amazon Fresh will not change. Prime services also remain unchanged, so free two-day shipping, Prime Instant Video, and the Kindle book borrowing are sticking around.

Are you an avid Prime user? And how will the price hike affect your relationship with Amazon? Let us know in the forum.

Well that's saddening. I use Amazon Prime a lot, in fact I just ordered some stuff today. Luckily I'm a student so I only had to pay $39, and I'm not worried about paying $49 now. But if I weren't a student I'd definitely cancel my Prime membership because I can't justify paying $100 for something I'm only using a few times a year. Lately as well I seem to be going more on eBay again, although I wish I didn't have to use PayPal for that site, as really that's the only main reason why I use Amazon more than eBay, because I hate PayPal.

Ah, yes, the old "we made a massive profit but not quite as massive as predicted" thing. Wonderful.

Well, I don't use Amazon Prime, since I'm happy enough with Amazon UK's regular free shipping, so I guess I have no reason to complain. Plus, they're usually super-cheap.

Going from $80 to $100 is a 25% increase...

JediMB:
Ah, yes, the old "we made a massive profit but not quite as massive as predicted" thing. Wonderful.

Well, I don't use Amazon Prime, since I'm happy enough with Amazon UK's regular free shipping, so I guess I have no reason to complain. Plus, they're usually super-cheap.

I envy you and you're free shipping. I also envy Amazon UK because they have items that I can't get on Amazon regularly and I can't have them shipped to me. T^T

SharedProphet:

WELL LOOK WHO'S GOOD AT BASIC, GRAMMAR SCHOOL-LEVEL MATH. (fixed)
-Devin Connors

Devin Connors:
The premium service sees a 20 percent price bump to offset low Amazon earnings.

Seems you didn't quite fix all of it.

Devin Connors:

SharedProphet:

-Devin Connors

There's a second mention of the 25% number. I know it says -ish, but it would still be better to put 20%ish wouldn't it?

Neronium:
Well that's saddening. I use Amazon Prime a lot, in fact I just ordered some stuff today. Luckily I'm a student so I only had to pay $39, and I'm not worried about paying $49 now. But if I weren't a student I'd definitely cancel my Prime membership because I can't justify paying $100 for something I'm only using a few times a year. Lately as well I seem to be going more on eBay again, although I wish I didn't have to use PayPal for that site, as really that's the only main reason why I use Amazon more than eBay, because I hate PayPal.

Most people I know say it annoys them these days when sites don't have a pay with PayPal option. Including me, it's so useful not having to enter my payment details. You might be the first person I've seen who hates PayPal, any reason why?

razer17:
any reason why?

They are big fat jerks.

Shadeovblack:

razer17:
any reason why?

They are big fat jerks.

Some elaboration might be nice!

(and all 20 percent references have been eradicated, jerks)
-Devin Connors

SharedProphet:

Yeah, it is. You take 80 divide by 4 and you get 20. You take 100 divide by 4 and you get 25. Its "25-ish" because instead of being 80 it is technically $79

Personally I would have to do some calculations on that. I guess the question is: Do I spend more that $100 on shipping charges each year? Which on average shipping is about $5 if I need it in the next couple days. So, Do I buy more than 20 things on Amazon a year. I am pretty sure the answer to that question is "Yes" So yeah, I would probably keep the thing. But luckily right now I am a Student, so I will be paying $49 instead.

I made a thread about this a few weeks ago. First time I have ninja'd the Escapist.

Anyway it is pissing me off. I get most of my stuff from Amazon so Prime was great but now I will not be renewing my subscription.

They have also combined it with their online streaming service as a way of justifying the price increase but I never wanted it. I have Netflix for that. I have had 4 emails since I turned off auto renew and all of them are basicly trying to explain to me why it is a good thing they have forced me to stop paying for a service I enjoyed because it was not enough for them and they tried to force me to pay more for features I do not want.

razer17:

Devin Connors:

SharedProphet:

-Devin Connors

There's a second mention of the 25% number. I know it says -ish, but it would still be better to put 20%ish wouldn't it?

It's wrong the other way around. 25% of $80 is $20. So $100 is a 25% increase on $80.

MorganL4:

SharedProphet:

Yeah, it is. You take 80 divide by 4 and you get 20. You take 100 divide by 4 and you get 25. Its "25-ish" because instead of being 80 it is technically $79

That's what they meant. It originally said a 20% increase (before Devin fixed it).

Neronium:

haha wow, someone else who has my EXACT thoughts. Unfortunately after this year I won't be getting my student discount anymore, but I definitely use amazon every chance I get to buy something...

dat two day shiping is nice

razer17:

Devin Connors:

SharedProphet:

-Devin Connors

Neronium:

Most people I know say it annoys them these days when sites don't have a pay with PayPal option. Including me, it's so useful not having to enter my payment details. You might be the first person I've seen who hates PayPal, any reason why?

it could be different in the UK, but in america paypal is horrible anytime you buy anything online/with a card that isn't in your area, paypal is the MOST paranoid big brother on the planet when it comes to fraud (10x worse when it's anything out of the country)

How do I know this? I worked for 8 months in a call service center and one of my duties was fraud detection/management for...you guessed it, paypal. 90% of our incoming calls were people hulking out over paypal being a fucking pain in the ass, and I can't blame them to be honest, I could see all the transactions and info on my screen, and it was horrid that their cards were getting locked up for these things, and then they'd have to deal with 20-30 minutes on the phone getting bounced around until they reached us and I could unlock it for them.

I have no problem with this. Between free shipping, and Prime TV and Movie streaming we've saved a couple hundred dollars, so twenty dollars more seems somewhat reasonable.

razer17:
[quote="Devin Connors" post="7.844714.20807961"]

Well one reason, as gmaverick019 stated is because in the US it is very dangerous and fraud is very prevelant with it. For me personally, I hate how long it takes PayPal to take money out of my account. If it was always a certain time it took, I'd understand, but with the times I've used PayPal over the last couple of years it jumps around with how long it takes. I'm the kind of person who likes his bank account reflecting the amount of money it has, and while with Amazon the purchases are pending for a while, they at least take the money out right away.

I'll be sticking with it - I'm not thrilled about paying more, who ever is? Still, I use it and I use my Kindle free movies damn near every night - my fiancé likes to have something on when he goes to bed and that's set him up nicely while I use the TV for games.

Neronium:

Amazon prime is the only reason I still use amazon as opposed to ebay. Like you I have the student discount but once that runs out I won't use their service. $100 for fast shipping when there are very few times I actually need fast shipping.

Not only that but their shipping service of Prime has actually gone down. In 2011-2013, when I ordered with two day shipping I actually got it within the two days. However, in the past few months anything I have order with prime sometimes takes 2-4 days or one day shipping that you pay $4 sometimes takes 2-3 days. If they want to raise the price then they need to improve their service.

Hey seem i renouvelled just in time, did it monday when it was still at 70$... Can say i'm glad

For anyone looking at dumping Prime due to the $20 increase, look at it from a different perspective.

There's a decent chance that you pay $10 for Netflix right now, which works out to $120 a year. Amazon Prime is $99 (or $8.25 per month), and that fee nets you a boatload of movies, TV shows, and Amazon-made shows. So you're getting a Netflix-like experience, along two day shipping, and free Kindle book lending, all for a lower price than Netflix. That's a pretty solid value, even with the increase to $99, right?

I'm not suggesting you choose one or the other, but if you think of Amazon Prime like you do Netflix, the value is definitely there.

Oh, and if you haven't watched any of Amazon's homegrown shows? Check out Alpha House, and Betas. I loved both!
-Devin Connors

Devin Connors:
For anyone looking at dumping Prime due to the $20 increase, look at it from a different perspective.

There's a decent chance that you pay $10 for Netflix right now, which works out to $120 a year. Amazon Prime is $99 (or $8.25 per month), and that fee nets you a boatload of movies, TV shows, and Amazon-made shows. So you're getting a Netflix-like experience, along two day shipping, and free Kindle book lending, all for a lower price than Netflix. That's a pretty solid value, even with the increase to $99, right?

I'm not suggesting you choose one or the other, but if you think of Amazon Prime like you do Netflix, the value is definitely there.

Oh, and if you haven't watched any of Amazon's homegrown shows? Check out Alpha House, and Betas. I loved both!
-Devin Connors

The Amazon streaming service is actually why I signed up for PRIME to begin with. And I've often ordered DVDs or Blu-Rays and gotten access to their digital counterparts as well. So I can order something I want to have a physical copy of on hand, but still watch it immediately via PRIME streaming.

The interface is kinda janky, but as far as a service it's pretty great in my book. As much as I'm not thrilled about the bump in price, ultimately I still think it's worth it. The shipping and book lending are nice, but the video service is enough to justify the costs for me all by itself.

That's still not bad. Compared to Netflix streaming (which I believe is $8 a month for just basic streaming, or $96 a year), that's just $4 more for the video and the two-day shipping. Issue there though is that they don't have nearly as good of a library as Netflix does in my opinion. But I mostly use it for the shipping anyways. I'm going to figure out how much I realistically used the two-day shipping during the year when reenrollment comes around to see if I can justify it. But being able to just be like "I don't want to drive 40 minutes into town to get something and spend $10 on gas, so I'll just buy it online and wait two days to get it" is pretty nice.

Hope they don't lose more money or they'll rob a bank to offset low earnings.

Did anyone else catch the whole "We just want more money and we lost a little bit so suck it" vibe from this?

They're welcome to, but I wish they'd stop with the flowery language and just admit it.

They've done this in the UK, it's gone from £49 to £79, sure they've added the movie streaming, but that's no used to folks who's internet is so shabby you couldn't stream a 30 second you tube clip let alone a three hour movie!

I re-upped back in January, so there's no problem with me. However, giving people a two week window to get it at the original price makes it sound to me like they're just trying to get an influx of people to rush out and renew before that.

Its a sales tactic they use in the office I work at.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here