Xbox One Controller Gets Unofficial PC Gaming Support

Xbox One Controller Gets Unofficial PC Gaming Support

Emulation finally brings Xbox One controller to PC gamers.

Even as a card-carrying member of the PC Gaming Master Race, I recognize that some games and genres are better played with a controller. The Xbox 360 controller has long been to go-to for PC players who need a gamepad, but it looks like the Xbox One controller is finally on its way as a viable alternative.

Lucas Assis (via Kotaku) has released the unofficial (meaning not approved by Microsoft) first version of his Xbox One controller workaround. The step-by-step video above offers detailed instructions on the software process, which involves installing a few different (free, open source, ad-free) programs. "...this was developed on under a day," says Assis, "I'm releasing due to a high number of people asking for it. It works, and it works great, but it's not really that easy to install."

So the more adventurous crowd should check out the workaround, which involves mapping keyboard keys to the One controller via emulation software. The more timid gamers should...well let's be honest, you're not going to wreck your Windows installation if you screw up a step, so you should try it, too.

You can download the software workaround here.

Okay, so I'm going to have to ask: is there some great improvement in the Xbone controller over its predecessor that would make it worth picking one up if I didn't own the console itself? I know the 360 controller's d-pad is shit, but otherwise I don't really have any problems with what I have.

Scars Unseen:
Okay, so I'm going to have to ask: is there some great improvement in the Xbone controller over its predecessor that would make it worth picking one up if I didn't own the console itself? I know the 360 controller's d-pad is shit, but otherwise I don't really have any problems with what I have.

Its more ergonomic and has better rumble control (inside the triggers). The sticks are amazing tbh, I don't own one but tried it out and my thumb had about half a mm of skin on it and it still gripped.

Wait, does this mean that the Xbox one controllers don't work on Windows PC's out of the box? Why? The original wired Xbox 360 controller does, so why not this one? Let me guess, there are no wireless Xbox one controllers...

Huh, I had assumed Xbone controllers worked on the PC anyway. Seems like a really stupid idea for Microsoft not to develop this, seeing as how their last controller became the de facto standard last generation for the PC. And they're always talking about platform integration anyway, so why not make this compatible with as many of their devices as possible?

I was wondering if anyone had any hard data over which is the better joypad heard some people say the ps4 has the edge this time around.

Scars Unseen:

There's a whole bunch of small improvements to it over the 360's that add up to a pretty nice controller. My only complaint with it (although it is a substantial one) is that the shoulder buttons are too stiff.

Great, now if MS can stick a wire on that thing I may consider purchasing one some day.

Huh, I too have assumed they would work on PC out of the box like 360 ones do. Odd.
I still prefer PS3 controllers on PC though.

Zac Jovanovic:
Huh, I too have assumed they would work on PC out of the box like 360 ones do. Odd.
I still prefer PS3 controllers on PC though.

The reason it isn't is MS is making a proprietary one that they can sell for £50 a pop. So people who own the Xbox One cant use there's unless they use this method.

Leviano:

The reason it isn't is MS is making a proprietary one that they can sell for £50 a pop. So people who own the Xbox One cant use there's unless they use this method.

I thought they had announced a driver would be coming sometime in 2014.

I also figured this was more a stopgap measure by the community.

How long would it take Microsoft to create well functioning drivers for the Xbox One controller? Less than a day? If a single person can make a jimmy-rigged driver set in a day, the people who made the controller AND the operating system could hammer out a good working version in a week.

They don't, of course, because Microsoft hates PC's.

Zachary Amaranth:

Leviano:

I thought they had announced a driver would be coming sometime in 2014.

I also figured this was more a stopgap measure by the community.

Its just a rumour at the moment, but have a look here.

http://nextingaming.com/2014/03/11/rumour-no-pc-drivers-for-xbox-one-controller/

Scars Unseen:

The only thing that feels better is the D-pad, and it still leaves a bit to be desired.

Everything else, in my opinion, has been downgraded. Especially the analog sticks, which have sharp angles on the inside rather than being smooth like the 360. They seem designed to be used with the edges only. In my short time with the controller I already hated it, and I've been told that it does become uncomfortable with longer sessions.

Haven't handled one myself yet, but I've been hearing that DualShock 4 is the best choice right now.

Fat_Hippo:
Huh, I had assumed Xbone controllers worked on the PC anyway. Seems like a really stupid idea for Microsoft not to develop this, seeing as how their last controller became the de facto standard last generation for the PC. And they're always talking about platform integration anyway, so why not make this compatible with as many of their devices as possible?

This, I totally agree.

It's downright pathetic that a controller meant to work with an x86 architecture has to have "unofficial" support to work on PC's.

For that matter, I thought it was somewhat ridiculous that the original XBOX 360 controller didn't work on PC if it was wireless (unless you bought a damn "communicator" as opposed to a play and charge kit).

Then again, I put all gaming companies on notice in my eyes when I realized X-Padder was a thing, or that adjusting the coalesced.ini files in a game's directory could enable controller support where none existed before.

In all likelihood, it's a marketing thing, just like it was with the XB360's wireless controllers. Even so, that a consumer was able to jury-rig this within one day is galvanizing, IMO. I just can't square how a team of experts working for one of the biggest companies in the world couldn't "figure it out" in time for launch.

That's cool...or I could just use the X-Input emulator in motioninjoy with my dualshock 3 (netting me effectively a 360 pad with a better D-Pad).

Leviano:

Its just a rumour at the moment, but have a look here.

http://nextingaming.com/2014/03/11/rumour-no-pc-drivers-for-xbox-one-controller/

It's just a really, really bad rumour.

And kind of dumb. "Well, it's sometime in 2014 hur hur."

DarklordKyo:
That's cool...or I could just use the X-Input emulator in motioninjoy with my dualshock 3 (netting me effectively a 360 pad with a better D-Pad).

And a smaller body with worse shoulder buttons.

so "many" people asked for it that it took the guy whole 3 months to even start bothering programming the driver. Not that there is a reason to use a controller on PC other than "hur durr keyboard has too many buttons im confused"

*Meh* I would like to replace my old USB Xbox 360 pad with the new XO pad. But not without official support.
At this point I rather buy a new Xbox 360 pad.

Strazdas:
Not that there is a reason to use a controller on PC other than "hur durr keyboard has too many buttons im confused"

Ignorance is bliss.

I have zero reasons to buy a Xbone controller and replace it with my current wired 360 pad.

I've also heard that the thumb stick on the new one has some rubberized circumference that apparently grazes your skin with prolonged use so no thank you.

I'm sure MS will get to it eventually when they remember that the PC gaming market is still around. Though it makes you wonder wtf they are doing when the 360 controller worked out the box and this one doesn't though the Xbone is far closer to a PC than the 360.

Ishigami:

Strazdas:
Not that there is a reason to use a controller on PC other than "hur durr keyboard has too many buttons im confused"

Ignorance is bliss.

Its true i am ignorant on whether you are trying to insult me or agree with me.
I do hope its the latter, as the former is against the rules.

Strazdas:

I'll disagree with you, but in a more polite way.

Many people find fighting, platforming and racing games more enjoyable whilst using a controller. Analog sticks tend to be better suited to those games than WASD.

Edit: Also sports games.
Yeah.
Sports!

Caiphus:

Strazdas:

I'll disagree with you, but in a more polite way.

Many people find fighting, platforming and racing games more enjoyable whilst using a controller. Analog sticks tend to be better suited to those games than WASD.

Edit: Also sports games.
Yeah.
Sports!

Ill give you racing games, acceleration gates are limited on a keyboard. but if you want a good racing experience your using a wheel anyway. Its true that personal preference does apply a lot in this, but you can play fighters perfectly fine on keyboard. Its still a bunch of keys just like on a controller, just you have the ability to make combos better as you can press more buttons easily (as in you dont have a single finger for 4 keys and a stick, but rather a finger for each button).

Sport games. what are those?
Yeah i know what sport games are, its just that its kind of a genre that often gets completely ignored by gamers. I dont have enough experience with sports games (gosh, i probably havent played one in 10 years at least) to know their control mechanics so i cant comment.

Strazdas:

Haha, yeah. I even forgot to mention them in my post at first. :P

Anyway, controllers end up being a jack of all trades for genres that require fine 360 degree movement (and a mouse won't cut it) or triggers with various levels of pressure sensitivity. Preferred by a lot of people over KB + M. But, like you said, if you reeeally love racing games, you'll probably get a steering wheel. If you reeeeally love fighting games, you might have a fight stick.

But I mean, yeah. You can play pretty much every PC game with a keyboard. If you can't, then most likely the developers fucked up (*cough* Dark Souls etc). But it is personal preference. My brother couldn't beat Super Meat Boy until he started using a controller, for example.

Caiphus:

Strazdas:

Haha, yeah. I even forgot to mention them in my post at first. :P

Anyway, controllers end up being a jack of all trades for genres that require fine 360 degree movement (and a mouse won't cut it) or triggers with various levels of pressure sensitivity. Preferred by a lot of people over KB + M. But, like you said, if you reeeally love racing games, you'll probably get a steering wheel. If you reeeeally love fighting games, you might have a fight stick.

But I mean, yeah. You can play pretty much every PC game with a keyboard. If you can't, then most likely the developers fucked up (*cough* Dark Souls etc). But it is personal preference. My brother couldn't beat Super Meat Boy until he started using a controller, for example.

funnily enough, i actually play fighters with a mouse. i set up it so all the fight buttons are actually mouse buttons 1 through 3 or more if needed and do that while left hand is WASDing. Certainly unusual setup i guess, but in those games that are hybrid fighting hybrid GTA clone its handy as i dont need to remove my hand from the mouse. Though i do get better results with keyboard, not that i ever needed that in singleplayer though.

so yes there is plenty room for preference. And thats where PC shines too, you can use any controller you want with it, including Kinect.

Sorry to bump a nearly 10 day old thread, but just a warning to everyone. I must have stuffed up one of the steps or not understood something, but Saints Row: The Third and Saints Row IV started misreading the controller as plugged in and pushing constantly to the left even when the Xbox One controller and Xbox 360 wireless receiver were unplugged. Uninstalling all the drivers and vJoy devices in device manager fixed it, but just so you know in case one of your games is misreading controller/keyboard information after you attempt this.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here