Oculus VR, EA, Panasonic Combine for Immersive Technology Alliance Voltron

Oculus VR, EA, Panasonic Combine for Immersive Technology Alliance Voltron

Oculus Rift Developer Kit

Inaugural ITA meeting happens at GDC next week.

The Stereoscopic 3D Gaming Alliance has a new name, a new mission, and several new members as it looks to stay ahead of the VR-heavy future of video games.

The newly-minted Immersive Technology Alliance "has an expanded mandate to effectively meet the needs of the newly established Augmented Reality (AR), Virtual Reality (VR), stereoscopic 3D and gesture industries...the goal of the alliance is to foster a vibrant and diverse industry that content makers can support on a wide scale. Accomplishing this goal requires commercial success, industry diversity, great content, compatibility, and a growing consumer base through joint education and outreach."

New alliance members include the likes of Oculus VR, Electronic Arts, Technical Illusions, Epson, Panasonic, and Virtuix, among others. The hardware manufacturers listed are no surprise, but EA's inclusion is to some extent. Hopefully this means we'll see all sorts of VR support for Mirror's Edge 2.

The ITA launch event is a closed, private GDC session happening on Tuesday, March 18, 2014 at 9:15AM. The session will have demos and presentations from Technical Illusions, The Game Creators, Survios, YEI Technology, I'm in VR, Epson, and others.

Dont get your hopes up ībout Mirrors Edge.
EA is just in it to find out which company to buy and than gut like a fish.

They lost my support by taking EA on board.

God in heaven, it'll have Origin on it! Somebdy get me the REAL Voltron so we can sort out this mess!

If Rift requires Origin to use, then I am out. I don't care how awesome gaming in VR might be.

Maybe if we all wish hard enough, EA might not fuck this up. Although we'd need a passing comet, some goat's blood, a pentagram, the blood of a virgin, and seven thousand souls to complete said ritual.

Ugh... EA?

Well it was a nice dream while it lasted, but now it's time to lose hope.

Maybe Sony's VR goggles might turn out ok.

Lets hope EA's involvement is limited to making the odd game that uses the tech, as it's name is mud for many enthusiasts who would be the first adopters of VR like the Rift.

I was really interested in the oculus rift and all the vr stuff it looked cool but if EA gets their claws into it they'll drive it into the ground. I hope this doesn't happen but it's EA I wouldn't be surprised.

EA's involved? That means nothing but good things!

Seriously, don't worry, VR is just another gimmick that will be doomed to fail same as in the 90's. Nothing has changed except graphics.

Voltron? Please. We need to discuss Super Fortress Macross, the TRUE thing that us Americans butchered.

That's a lot of companies that are going to be upset when they realize that slapping two screens to your face doesn't constitute as virtual reality or an intelligent idea whatsoever.

Westaway:
That's a lot of companies that are going to be upset when they realize that slapping two screens to your face doesn't constitute as virtual reality or an intelligent idea whatsoever.

This is how I've felt this entire time, it's literally strapping two screens closer to your eyeballs, to me that isn't VR at all, just me being much closer to the screen, me being inside the actual game itself is what I'd call VR like a holodeck per say.

OT:
Also the second article of the day with EA mentioned and the typical hate machine revving up it's cynical gears?, truly I am shocked.

I'm not surprised that EA is jumping on this. I HIGHLY DOUBT they give a damn about the spirit of the mission statement of course but this is the exact sort of thing motion controls needed. Motion controls didn't just die on the fact that the equipment NEVER worked as advertised but that the only companies that made games exclusively for motion controls all made complete disasters. So with no Halo of motion controls except for Wii Sports, the concept died because Sony and Microsoft preferred to take a cowards way out and merely ape the Wii (which because it's nintendo they give no damns about 3rd party devs) and not worry about the games that came out for their expensive to develop technology.

VR is getting the treatment motion controls needed with careful refinement before the retail release and getting developers and not just customers excited for the product so that there will be great games to use the tech with. I'd like to see what Motion controls combined with VR's would feel like. But I think it will be difficult to sell motion controls a 2nd time and we won't see them again for a couple decades after the Microsofts absurd required Kinect bundle for the Xbone. (fuck those guys for forcing a 100 dollar gimmick down the throat of their customers.)

Devin Connors:
Hopefully this means we'll see all sorts of VR support for Mirror's Edge 2.

I honestly think that Oculus support for Mirror's Edge would absolutely kill the game. It sounds amazing, up until the point I remember all of the head twisting, tumbling, and somersaults that we could be doing. That excessive amount of forced eye movement does not feel natural to a sitting body, and could make even the strongest willed people nauseous. Oculus themselves admitted at Steam Dev Days that run or gun games aren't the best way to use VR because they simply don't match what our physical bodies would be doing... something something vestibular mismatch.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here