Holy Crap, The First Image Of NBC's Constantine Is Right Out Of Hellblazer

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Holy Crap, The First Image Of NBC's Constantine Is Right Out Of Hellblazer

The first official image of John Constantine looks like he stepped right off the pages of Vertigo's long-running series. Time for a very stiff celebratory drink.

Well, this is unexpected.

When NBC announced plans for a show based on DC and Vertigo's Hellblazer series, the response was skeptical, to say the least. But the network has today released the first image of Matt Ryan as John Constantine, lead character in the upcoming series Constantine, and for the first time, the show looks like it could actually be good. Rather than belabor the point, here it is in all its glory:

I'm going to be honest: hot. damn. Without exaggeration, this is almost exactly what John Constantine looks like in the comics, right down to the trench coat, askew necktie, and clear lack of a recent bath and shave. That's exciting if only because network television is insanely risk-averse. The temptation to make a version of Constantine that looked "realistic" or TV hot in that stupid CW way must have been high. Sure, Matt Ryan is still really handsome, but at least they're going for shitty, hungover handsome instead of, you know, Keanu Reeves.

Yes, we can rule out most of the more controversial elements associated with John Constantine. We probably won't see Constantine's bisexuality, or his prodigious smoking habit. We definitely won't see him survive terminal lung cancer by selling his soul to two demons, thus forcing them to cure him rather than risk a war over his soul. And while we're at it, we can forget about vampires who can taste AIDS in their victims' blood, lots of drug use, or the series' absolutely epic level of blasphemy too. But that doesn't mean it can't be a halfway decent supernatural detective show, just so long as they get Constantine's world-weariness, cynicism and willingness to screw over practically anyone in order to survive the messes he often creates.

Based on this image, they're at least trying. OK, NBC, well played. I definitely want to watch this pilot now. Yes, I realize this is precisely what is hoped for by the release of an image like this. But don't rain on my parade, people. At least let me wait until the pilot does that for you.

Is it wrong I think he looks too pretty?

synobal:

Remember that Alan Moore created him specifically because Stephen R. Bissette and John Totleben were fans of The Police and wanted to draw a character who looked like Sting.

RossaLincoln:

synobal:

Remember that Alan Moore created him specifically because Stephen R. Bissette and John Totleben were fans of The Police and wanted to draw a character who looked like Sting.

I have no idea who any of that is other than Alan Moore.

synobal:

RossaLincoln:

synobal:

They were the artists on Swamp Thing during most Alan Moore's period writing for it. Big names.

Totleben is comic/graphic novel illustrator of some renown, but that is gleaned from Absolute Sandman's Endless gallery where he did pointillism-style Destiny among few other pieces.

E: Wikipedia gives Swamp Thing from 80s as breakthrough.

synobal:

RossaLincoln:

synobal:

Stephen R. Bissette and John Totleben are the artist and inker that worked with Alan Moore in the "Swamp Thing" series that first introduced John Constantine.

The Police were a popular rock band in the late 70s early 80s, and Sting was their lead singer.

Edit: Didn't realize this had already been answered, sorry.

OT: Hey, he has a beard now! :)
If nothing else, it looks like this series will be faithful in the character design deparment. Let's hope it's good.

He really doesn't look all that dirty to me. Also, having the main character look right is a very very long way from this being an accurate adaptation of the source material. Honestly, he could look nothing like he does in the source material but as long as they got everything else right I'd be happy.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.844703-First-Look-at-Matt-Ryan-as-John-Constantine

Reposting old news? Or just felt like making the observation in a new post.

StriderShinryu:
He really doesn't look all that dirty to me. Also, having the main character look right is a very very long way from this being an accurate adaptation of the source material. Honestly, he could look nothing like he does in the source material but as long as they got everything else right I'd be happy.

If you've played Assassin's Creed 4, You'll know Matt Ryan has a very "dirty" sounding voice, so the grittiness will be there.
All you need is some talented writing and BOOM! Constantine.

RossaLincoln:
Zoop

Three demons, actually, resulting in the argument in Hell's triumvirate over his soul, which would slip through their grasp if they didn't immediately cure and heal him.

As I've said before, the raunchier stuff in Hellblazer definitely won't make it, but I believe smoking, lung cancer, and needing both that and drinking to get through his Bad Shit days will happen, because it's always painted in a very negative light. John doesn't have horrible vices because it's cool. He has them because he'd go mad (again) without them to cool him down. I believe NBC can spin that.

Am I the only one who thinks that this looks JUST like a blond Max Payne?

(Not angry drunk bald Max Payne but NYPD cop)

I liked the Reeves movie but I also know nothing about Constantine so take anything I have to say with a grain of salt...

The world he lives in needs to be gritty and grimey. Lets hope thwey get that right the character with ride along through that as he should naturally. No airbrushed photoshoped BS please.

Well, at least it's not Keanu Reeves and this guy is smugging, so that's a massive improvement.

FalloutJack:

RossaLincoln:
Zoop

Three demons, actually, resulting in the argument in Hell's triumvirate over his soul, which would slip through their grasp if they didn't immediately cure and heal him..

HERP a derp, you're right! (It's been a while!)

If they couldn't give him a ciggy couldn't they at least have him flip-off the audience? I'd be less apprehensive.

P.S. Great Taste No Sugar

It's a lie, you can taste the difference, it's not the bloody same! Screw You cola companies! >:(

Good promo shot, but I'm just not sold on NBC doing anything more than a sort of 'Dresden Files: The Poorly Done Constantine Knock-Off Edition'.

Tanis:
Good promo shot, but I'm just not sold on NBC doing anything more than a sort of 'Dresden Files: The Poorly Done Constantine Knock-Off Edition'.

OOF, low blow! But yes, I agree. I don't believe for a second this will end up being anything other than tepid.

Tanis:

Dresden Files as in the book series? Or as in the crappy Canadian TV series?

RossaLincoln:

synobal:

And I'm relatively certain the only way to get a guy who looks more like John would've been to go back in time to 1988 and actually cast Sting. I mean, bloody hell, he genuinely looks like he just walked off a page of Hellblazer.

I don't see why they could not have the cancer story. Him selling his soul is not something that american tv has not seen before thanks to Supernatural and having him play 3 of the most evil beings in creation like a fiddle in order to cure himself would make a great story.

Mahorfeus:

Tanis:

Mahorfeus:

Tanis:

I must say that when I first found out about this show my reaction was I hope it is nothing like the Dresden Files TV show because that this was just bad.

Ironically I saw the TV show first, did not think it was that bad, got the first few books and read them, realised how bad the show was and just continued with the books which are now one of my favorite series.

He looks happy.

In other words, they've failed.

SO basically we can expect none of the things that made Constantine such an interesting character? Great this will be the new 52 Constantine series rather than the Hellblazer series DC cancelled because they're dicks.

I had sort of gotten used to a bit less blind optimism for no reason at all on this site.

Eh, so he looks good. Have we lowered our expectations THAT much? This is at best a reason to re-read the original series where, unlike here, he does look unhappy, unbathed and more forked-up than we can muster the strength to fathom.

"Hot stud in a trenchcoat with perfectly airbrushed hair" is not really hwo I think of that character.

He looks like Castiel. And since all I know about Constantine is that he fights demons... And I have no cable... so, I'm probably going to give this a pass...

Even when it's jut remotely as good as the movie I'm going to watch it I think.

tippy2k2:

I liked the Reeves movie but I also know nothing about Constantine so take anything I have to say with a grain of salt...

I liked it too, but then again I like keanu despite him not being an actor but rather an epic piece of cardboard.

I'll wait, there are way too many horrible translations of good series on the TV medium already.

Lenny Magic:
As much as I'm worried a lot by how tacky this image looks. I'm vaguely reassured at the fact that this is just a pre-production promo shot, and in my opinion he looks close enough.

Pretty much sums up my opinion of this. Judging the entire production based on this image is almost the same as judging a book by the first vague description the author gives before they have even submitted their finalised draft.

I still hope this will turn out to be a good series, but I don't expect anything as great or as interesting as the comics to come out of it.

sneakypenguin:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.844703-First-Look-at-Matt-Ryan-as-John-Constantine

Reposting old news? Or just felt like making the observation in a new post.

It is possible that the escapist wants to have its own news articles linked to, rather than the IGN one it got everything from. More likely someone forgot to check if there was already an article for this and approved it.

CelestDaer:
He looks like Castiel. And since all I know about Constantine is that he fights demons... And I have no cable... so, I'm probably going to give this a pass...

Came here for this.
Of course since I have no idea what the constantine series is, it is very well possible that Castiel is based on this, not the other way around.
In which case the supernatural guys did it first and damn did they do it well...

Am I the only one who actually sees the smoke floating around him? Granted, there's no way of telling where that's coming from but it's very similair in appearence to cigarette smoke. People forget that a lot of companies don't put cigarettes in advertising simply because of the "bad" image it creates. I think this may be the case here.
True, he looks a bit too clean-cut at the moment but I feel the original post makes way too many assumptions about this series based on a single promotional image.
It's very early days yet and I'm looking forward to seeing how this show will turn out. Right now I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt. Constantine (the 2005 film) obviously veered away from the comic series in various ways but I actually really enjoy that film as it's own thing.

Both routes appearance-wise could be viable, given that ol' Johnny aged about 25 years in real time. Matt Ryan fits the -88 Constantine, but if we're going for the guy in his 50s then I have only one answer:

That promo image could very well be him being smug as shit after the cancer deal.

I don't know why you think he should be less attractive than this, because in order to seduce people to do whatever you want you have to be vaguely attractive, and he looks almost exactly like this in the comics. :d We'll see how far they will push it, but I hope it's not some castrated, watered down and mainstream version. I'm not saying this like a hipster I just know how far they can go when they try to go for mass appeal.

StriderShinryu:

He isn't. His shirt has been ironed and the trenchcoat looks like it was just bought.

softclocks:
He looks happy.

In other words, they've failed.

He's got the traditional Constantine smirk.

In other word's they're doing just fine. I've got a Hellblazer compilation 3 feet away from me. He looks good to me. Better than Keanu's rendition of him. Not a smile through the movie :(

tippy2k2:

Read* HellBlazer Original Sins. Its a compilation of stories and it starts off with the story arc that the movie was heavily based off of.(This and another story where John Constantine find out he has terminal lung cancer) My beef isn't even with Keanu's performance. I just took that as the writer's/director's creative freedom with their vision and I'm ok with that. My problem was with the shitty acting from everyone that wasn't a main character. Namely the priest that was buddies with Constantine.

If you remember, the scene is the priest drinking desperately in order to quench insurmountable thirst. It was supposed to show him getting thirstier and thirstier. Instead you see him drink 6 bottles of liquor (liquor that doesn't appear or feel to him like its even reaching his mouth) and then the movie cuts to him gushing out alcohol from his mouth dead with the store owner saying that he drank until he drowned himself.

My problem here is that in the book, the same thing happens but it involves hunger instead of thirst, and the more someone eats, the hungrier they get AND the more malnourished they appear. I won't say too much more but seriously, read Original Sins.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here