No One Wants Time Warner Cable's Cheap Data-Capped Internet Plan

Pages 1 2 NEXT

No One Wants Time Warner Cable's Cheap Data-Capped Internet Plan

Time Warner Cable Logo Truck 310x

A cheaper Internet service with 30 GB data cap is shunned by TWC customers.

Time Warner Cable is trying -- and seemingly failing -- to get its customers on the data cap train.

During a telecom conference in Florida earlier this week, Time Warner Cable chairman and CEO Rob Marcus said that his company started offering a new data capped Internet plan in 2013. The plan shaves $60 off the normal yearly cost (or a $5 per month discount), while adding in a 30 GB per month data cap.

The results so far? Of the 11 million TWC Internet subscribers, those who have signed on for data cap plans numbers "in the thousands," so significantly less than one percent.

Despite the low adoption rate so far, Marcus and TWC aren't backing down from data cap plans anytime soon. And if the TWC-Comcast merger goes through, you can bet there will be even more pressure from the monopoly to get customers on capped bandwidth plans.

This isn't the first time TWC has flirted with data caps on monthly Internet plans. Back in 2012, TWC introduced an "Essentials" plan that took $5 off your monthly bill if your total usage was under 5 GB. This new plan sounds a lot less flexible, however.

Methinks no one is sitting at home and saying to themselves, "You know what I want out of the internet? Less internet"

Especially with the netflix and hulu streaming people do, I can't imagine why Time Warner thinks this is going to have a high adoption rate. Unless someone wants speed but doesn't use the internet a lot... but... that seems like a niche market.

Right now this story is only making it's way in the tech sites...

But, mark my words, IF TWC tries to force this on the mainstream...
They won't like the results.

Oh fer Pete's sake.

Guys, we're the country that created DARPANet.

You're a cable service.

Your customers aren't dependent on radio transmission for their bandwidth. Your country isn't dependent on one pipe that strings across the ocean through several other countries.

If you need to cap your service... No, let me put this another way. You don't need to cap your service; you need to spend more on infrastructure. You're charging more for lower speeds than several other developed countries' customers can expect with their broadband.

You have a relatively cushy, over-paid job and a near-monopoly in many of your markets. Degrading service in that situation ought to be unacceptable. Do your damn job!

Callate:
Oh fer Pete's sake.

Guys, we're the country that created DARPANet.

You're a cable service.

Your customers aren't dependent on radio transmission for their bandwidth. Your country isn't dependent on one pipe that strings across the ocean through several other countries.

If you need to cap your service... No, let me put this another way. You don't need to cap your service; you need to spend more on infrastructure. You're charging more for lower speeds than several other developed countries' customers can expect with their broadband.

You have a relatively cushy, over-paid job and a near-monopoly in many of your markets. Degrading service in that situation ought to be unacceptable. Do your damn job!

The funny thing is they treat their customers so poorly but then complain when Google moves into a town with their fibre plan and steals all their business. There is little wonder really.

Tanis:
Right now this story is only making it's way in the tech sites...

But, mark my words, IF TWC tries to force this on the mainstream...
They won't like the results.

Their competitors however will.

Callate:
Oh fer Pete's sake.

The less they spend on the service they provide the more they can pay themselves.

Seriously though.. 30GB a month? Who was that package designed for hmm... people who don't watch videos, play games, or do audio visual work.

I mean one WoW update patch would pretty much kill that cap.

30 gigs? REALLY?

That's worse than the average service in Canada, and we SUUUUUUCK at internet!

Seriously, my family pays Bell through the nose for goddamn 60 gigs. And you wanna offer 30?

Eww...

30GB cap...yeah no one is gonna except that at all no matter how much you sugar-coat it. It's because of ISPs like Time Warner, Cox Digital, and Comcast that I knew the Xbox One's initial idea was gonna fail horribly. The biggest ISPs in the nation have a stranglehold over the industry and unfortunately I don't see that changing.

Zipa:

The funny thing is they treat their customers so poorly but then complain when Google moves into a town with their fibre plan and steals all their business. There is little wonder really.

It's why a lot of them are lobbying against the spread of Fibre networks. Take for example a certain Utah bill that not only would stop the Utopia project, but would also hamper Google Fibre. Believe me I'd love some fibre down where I live. My family pays about $170 for the highest internet plan, and it's about 5.1 Mbps. >.>

Why the hell are we trying to cap internet.

I can understand mobile internet usage being an issue. But broadband? Why....

Also, you're going to need to do WAY better than 5 dollars off the monthly bill if you want to cap people. Sure, many of them might not USE more than 30gb but we like being able to do what we want without any worry of going over the limit.

@BigTuk:
WHAT 'competitors'?

Net access in the USA has pretty much become a monopoly.

So sad how these monopolies still try to impose data caps. My ISP stopped offering capped plans nearly a decade ago.

Neronium:
30GB cap...yeah no one is gonna except that at all no matter how much you sugar-coat it. It's because of ISPs like Time Warner, Cox Digital, and Comcast that I knew the Xbox One's initial idea was gonna fail horribly. The biggest ISPs in the nation have a stranglehold over the industry and unfortunately I don't see that changing.

Zipa:

It's why a lot of them are lobbying against the spread of Fibre networks. Take for example a certain Utah bill that not only would stop the Utopia project, but would also hamper Google Fibre. Believe me I'd love some fibre down where I live. My family pays about $170 for the highest internet plan, and it's about 5.1 Mbps. >.>

Wow, I thought the UK had bad internet. And yeah I saw Tek Syndicate do the story on the scumbag practices of Comcast and TWC trying to stop Google all the while telling customers if you don't like our service swap provider. What a crock of shit. I am surprised there are no laws to stop this kind of stuff in the States, it would never fly in the EU zone.

Zipa:
What a crock of shit. I am surprised there are no laws to stop this kind of stuff in the States, it would never fly in the EU zone.

US is very pro business when you look at some of the things that happen here. Heck a good example is that in the United States, EULAs are considered legally binding contracts. There are more consumer rights in Europe than the US that's for sure.

Neronium:

Zipa:
What a crock of shit. I am surprised there are no laws to stop this kind of stuff in the States, it would never fly in the EU zone.

US is very pro business when you look at some of the things that happen here. Heck a good example is that in the United States, EULAs are considered legally binding contracts. There are more consumer rights in Europe than the US that's for sure.

Yeah its worrying how little rights Americans have compared to the citizens of the EU, while many people complain about being part of the EU and how bad it is ect it does a hell of a lot good for its citizens and their rights.

Feedback like this means nothing to monopolies. They'll offer whatever they want even if nobody wants it. It'd be nice if the laws on monopolies were enforced rather than skirted around.

America is THE country of perverted capitalism.

Data caps are a total money grab from internet providers. If they were actually interested in managing their network usage they would adjust the speed. Data isn't a limited pool that gets arbitrarily replenished each month.

Of course, Americans are lucky compared to Canadians where data caps are the norm among the larger companies. On top of that, rural customers just get a big huge dicking from every company. Rural relatives of mine have two options for internet: Satellite (huge latency) or a Wi-Fi modem that operates on the cell network (3 GB cap) and both are minimum $50 a month.

Welcome to the norm for Australian internet, America! We don't even get a choice.

Neronium:

Zipa:

They are pro certain business whoever can grease the election funds the most wins.

Obviously if these laws pass the cable industry is paying out more than google is. because your voters will want more choice obviously cause time warner sucks period. only money buying votes could turn less choice equals more choice for consumers. only in american politics.

Not quite a monopoly, but an oligopoly, certainly. And as per usual, that is harmful to the consumer. Remind me again how this would regulate itself out of existence and allow for competitors to spring up without being crushed or bought out or similar? Yeah, I'm making it political, because, frankly, it already is. Mergers like these are dangerous to the free market and the free market is ultimately unstable/incapable of remaining free without oversight and regulation, ironically enough.

I burn through 30gb's of data in a day easy, by myself! That's the stupidest plan I've ever heard of. Why can't ISP's just let people have the internet they love. I've never heard of Comcast have a rough time. And despite everyone hating time warner cable it manages to continue to thrive so wtf?! Aren't they just padding money with money at this point.

Oh, you're hilarious, Warner! Now, pull a rabbit out of your pants and sing all the names of the capital cities in the United States!

Seriously though, OF COURSE nobody's going for it. It stinks! I know people who have this problem already. Why would MORE customers want to DOWNGRADE their system? HELLO! The song is called 'Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger', not 'Slow Ride'. Everyone wants their page and images and flash to load up yesterday. Get with the program or get left behind!

My cable company was Charter. Then they (in my area) were bought out by Time Warner. I think that my Charter data plan and rate were grand fathered in to Time Warner, but after reading this, I really should look more closely. I don't game nearly as much as I used to, and even then it's only single player, but my house downloads music, apps, games, and streams movies quite a bit.

RatherDull:
Why the hell are we trying to cap internet.

I can understand mobile internet usage being an issue. But broadband? Why....

Because there is money to be made in droves by charging "overage fees." Nothing quite like charging penalties for a resource that you have an infinite amount of.

USA - the Internet's third world country...

Fuck Time Warner. I pay for 15 mbs a month and I'm lucky if I can get above 8 on a good day. Of course everything is gorgeous when I call to complain, and mysteriously reverts less than an hour later.

Anything that's bad for these assholes is good news in my book.

It's rather funny to see the US starting to put on caps when here in Australia Optus is now offering unlimited no cap plans, even the option to not be on a contract (on 30mb/s and 100mb/s options). Oh how the wheels are turning :-)

They're also planning a price hike if my sources are right.

So basically, I'm paying for 20mbps and they're going to raise my rates to 60 a month. While google is charging about that for gigabit internet. 50 times faster, no more expensive.

You know, I might - MIGHT - understand people switching to this - IF the price was a whole lot less. A discount of $5 a month is NOT worth a 30 GB cap.

If they were only charging $5 a month, then sure, that would be a fair trade off - insanely cheap internet, but limited use. But (last I knew) Time Warner was charging something like $65 a month for the non-capped service. Who in their right mind would pay $60 for 30GB? That is literally charging 2 dollars per GB.

And that was just at the last numbers I knew about. I switched more than a year ago to get away from Time Warner's overpriced bullshit.

Vausch:
They're also planning a price hike if my sources are right.

So basically, I'm paying for 20mbps and they're going to raise my rates to 60 a month. While google is charging about that for gigabit internet. 50 times faster, no more expensive.

Cable/internet companies in the US are crap, but South Park benefits from the part they are complaining about. If 1997 Comedy Central depended on people choosing them, then they would not have aired South Park and gone with something more mainstream.

Only 30gb, I couldn't even download Titanfall with that!

I must admit, I'm used to people bitching on the internet, but really, some of these numbers being thrown around make my mind boggle.

This "discounted" fee is more than what I'm currently paying for unlimited fibre. Your cable companies are just that full of shit.

Shamanic Rhythm:
Welcome to the norm for Australian internet, America! We don't even get a choice.

Really? I have unlimited and have had it for a long time. I don't know exactly what plan it is, but it's about $60 a month from TPG and the speeds, as with all Australian internet, are shit. Honestly I think it's despicable to offer anything less with the crap service we get outside of the data.

Hey, ass holes at Time Warner. I left my previous company BECAUSE they started capping my service and charging me for going over. I've heard Comcast is considered terrible by many customers, but I am also getting faster, more reliable, internet without a cap. I am perfectly happy with my current service.

Don't try to screw with me on this. I won't budge on my "No Cap" position and I will change to a service that doesn't cap me.

Shamanic Rhythm:

Actually unlimited without contract and at 100mb/s is available from Optus and other's, perhaps shop around for a better deal?

I'm on Telstra with 500GB and plan to switch to those deals once my contract ends, if Telstra offers them by then sweet, if not then I switch.

Here in Sweden I'm not even sure I could get a data-capped service if I wanted to, except on mobile.

100Mb/s is available in most high density population places, only small rural places are stuck with cable or cell(3G/4G), and even then 5 to 20Mb/s(available, there's still some shitty low bandwidth plans available, dirt cheap though).

My mom had 10Mb/s 3G when she was living in a literal cabin in the woods(inherited from grandparents, RIP) for $30 a month. (Which did have a "cap", but it was throttled down after reaching it, to like 0.5Mb/s, no overcharge fees).

Did a little search, you can get a 4G cell internet with 100Mb/s and 60GB cap(after which it throttles) for $50.

About the same price and speed as my uncapped flatrate fiber.

Thankfully I'm moving out to Elgin Illinois where they are rolling out fiber internet lines instead of being stuck on old infrastructure.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here