Holland is First Country to Legalize Carrier-Free SIM Cards

Holland is First Country to Legalize Carrier-Free SIM Cards

SIM Card Wiki 310x

Open SIM cards could be reprogrammed for any carrier, company.

It's now legal for any company to issue carrier-free SIM cards in the Netherlands, according to the Holland government website.

Because Holland is the only country to legalize this kind of SIM card setup, don't expect any major changes in the way you use your smartphone on a network. However, if other European, Asian, and North American countries were to follow suit, carrier-free SIM cards would pave the way for maker-controlled wireless networks.

Put another way, Apple, Samsung, or other phone manufacturers could load their own custom SIM cards into their devices, bypassing carriers altogether. Non-telco companies could provide SIM cards to their employees or clients, again bypassing carriers in favor of their own networks. Setting up a wholly new network takes gross quantities of cash, so another scenario is Apple buying data and voice services from existing carriers, then selling the the services to iPhone and iPad users at a discount. No more middle man, even if their networks are still being used.

It's not just a win for smartphone makers, as other industries could make use of the new rules. As GigaOM points out, car manufacturers could equip their cars with these agnostic SIM cards, allowing your car's data service to be attached to whichever carrier you prefer. Or even better, your car comes with a SIM card that can change carriers on the fly, so the odds of hitting a data dead zone decrease.

Again, this move would need widespread adoption to truly change or revolutionize how we use mobile data with smartphones and other devices, but it's a step in the right direction.

I was going to make a sarcastic comment about how you would no longer need to pay $0.50 (hyperbole) for a new sim card when you switch carriers, but now that I think about it it seems like a very useful thing, particularly the switching carriers on the fly thing. Also would this possibly make starting a new carrier company easier?

@DasDestroyer:
It can be a much bigger deal than saving the cost of the SIM card- for starters, you could switch carriers and keep your old mobile number, which is not just a big win in terms of convenience (not having to go around giving your new phone number to all your contacts), but also because you may have other services tied to your phone number, like how Gmail uses it as an additional security credential.

I'm going to be "that guy" and say that Holland =/= The Netherlands. We usually prefer the latter name if you talk about our glorious submerged nation.

I dunno if I'll notice these changes - I barely use more from my current cellphone than the alarm clock function >_> Still, this law got us in the news so hurrah ;)

Devin Connors:
Holland

Ouch trampling all over my tender Frisian soul are you.
Good news for us Dutch though, as for the rest of the world, I could easily see the EU enacting similar legislation, especially with the euro commissioner in charge of everything digital being a Dutchwoman.

No offense intended to readers from Holland...or the Netherlands. Sorry, I've always used both interchangeably. :(
--Devin Connors

Devin Connors:
No offense intended to readers from Holland...or the Netherlands. Sorry, I've always used both interchangeably. :(
--Devin Connors

You'd better be sorry :@

On a more serious note here, Holland is what I know as north and south holland, two provinces, rather than all of the Netherlands.

As for the carrier free SIM card, let's hope it's not too hackable. But it looks like the 'problem' is easily solved by the companies.

Devin Connors:
--Devin Connors

In that case, let me clear it up for you.

Now OT; even though i live in THE NETHERLANDS (sorry, couldnt help myself) i never heard of it. And doubt it will have any impact whatsoever.

When i get a new phone i either just go with the same carrier (which is transferable then) or just get a new sim.

Longstreet:

Devin Connors:
--Devin Connors

In that case, let me clear it up for you.

Now OT; even though i live in THE NETHERLANDS (sorry, couldnt help myself) i never heard of it. And doubt it will have any impact whatsoever.

When i get a new phone i either just go with the same carrier (which is transferable then) or just get a new sim.

Strange definition of clearing up you have.
(although not a bad as Great Britian)
And i'm Dutch even.

on topic,
This is the first time i heart about this.
and like you said i don't think it will affect me much.
But i am supprised that there was no mention on tweakers.net
This is right up their ally.

This could mean the end of SIM card as we know them.
At some point they will build blank non-swappable SIM chips directly in the phones.

Bwuh? This was not on any Dutch news website or the actual news on TV!

As someone who does not have a cellphone, what does this mean?

Kenjitsuka:

Tweakers actually alluded to it here yesterday, but nary a mention of it before that.

For all you Duchies out there: here is the official statement issued by the government

Devin Connors:
--Devin Connors

No problem a lot of people have that. But you could maybe correct the article.

On topic.
I also don't think I'll see much difference as I still use pre-paid on a vary old phone. I think it'll be mostly a convenience thing that people don't think about and will find good service when the get a new phone.

Descalon:

Kenjitsuka:

Tweakers actually alluded to it here yesterday, but nary a mention of it before that.

For all you Duchies out there: here is the official statement issued by the government

Ok, that one slipt under the radar.

for all the non Duch speaking here.
short version, Car manufacures want to put a sim card their car and become a virtual provider on the existing networks.
As to why?
Cars need 4G to function, apparently.
Also:
It becomes more easy to switch provider with an Integrated sim card.
and companies can make their own in office networks with roaming options.

harrisonmcgiggins:
As someone who does not have a cellphone, what does this mean?

To you as a person?
About as mutch as if you did.
Nothing at all.

But if you are going to buy a new car, it's an other accessory to consider.(text goes about Audi, so it won't be cheap)
And what this will mean for future phone designs? who knows.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here