Star Wars: Episode VII Takes Place 30 Years After Original Trilogy

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Star Wars lightsabers

Star Wars: Episode VII will begin shooting at London's Pinewood Studios in May 2014.

Star Wars: Episode VII will be a sequel to the original trilogy. The very fact that it will be Episode VII was a pretty good sign from the get-go that it was going to take place after the events of Return of the Jedi. That said, the crew behind the film has, up until now, been relatively mum on exactly how long after the original trilogy the new movies would take place. A recent announcement however, has confirmed that the new films will be taking place 30 years after Episode VI.

The news came in release from Lucasfilm announcing that principal photography for the film will be starting this coming May and will be based at Pinewood Studios in London. Starting in May, of course, will give the production about a year and seven months to finish the film for its December 18th, 2015 release date. The plot details were revealed toward the end of the announcement.

"It has also been confirmed that Star Wars: Episode VII is set about 30 years after the events of Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi, and will star a trio of new young leads along with some very familiar faces," said Lucasfilm. "No further details on casting or plot are available at this time."

It goes without saying, of course, that the "familiar faces" will be the principal cast of the original trilogy whose return to the franchise has long since been confirmed. In fact, it'd probably be safe to say that the 30-year gap between Episode VI and Episode VII is a direct result of their presence in the film. There has to be a reason, after all, for them to not be all young and spry like were at the end of Jedi.

Source: Star Wars

StewShearer:

"It has also been confirmed that Star Wars: Episode VII is set about 30 years after the events of Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi, and will star a trio of new young leads along with some very familiar faces," said Lucasfilm.

*falls onto couch in relief*

Oh thank the maker, I thought Abrams was really going to use the original cast as the main protagonists. My confidence in this project is restored.

Considering that Jedi Outcast is set 8 years after RoTJ and Academy set around 10 years or so after, I don't think we'll be able to see Kyle Katarn even make a cameo in this one. That's too bad.

So just during the Yuuzhan Vong war?

MrPeanut:

More like 5 years after the Yuuzhan Vong War. (34 ABY, since episode VI is 4 ABY and YZV War ended 29 ABY) From what I read in Wookiepedia, nothing much happened around this time. Good place time to put a new movie in.

I can already see it now, four white young adults swirling lasers around with lens flares all over, kissing and screwing each other, fighting against the most generic and forgettable villains ever

Think I just made myself gag

nomaner:

MrPeanut:

More like 5 years after the Yuuzhan Vong War. (34 ABY, since episode VI is 4 ABY and YZV War ended 29 ABY) From what I read in Wookiepedia, nothing much happened around this time. Good place time to put a new movie in.

That is of course assuming they choose to take the Expanded Universe into account at all. They could just choose to ignore it as non-cannon and write the movies as though the books and comics just never happened.

I know they want some connection to the originals, but i want more original stuff. No bullshit adding R2 D2 or C3P0. ll new characters and robots and places. We really dont need a million winks towards the original series to make a new trilogy work.

SNCommand:
I can already see it now, four white young adults swirling lasers around with lens flares all over, kissing and screwing each other, fighting against the most generic and forgettable villains ever

You mean three?

a trio of new young leads

Obviously there will be a comic relief goofy sidekick too, but they aren't likely to be white.

New Frontiersman:

nomaner:

MrPeanut:

That is of course assuming they choose to take the Expanded Universe into account at all. They could just choose to ignore it as non-cannon and write the movies as though the books and comics just never happened.

I thought that they were redoing the Canon Policy for Star Wars, simplifying it from the M-, T-, C-, and N-Canon levels to just a simple Canon/Non-Canon classification. They're supposed to be going through the entire EU and saying what's happened in the timeline and what hasn't. (Sources: Here, here, here, and here. I realize that my sources are a bit biased in opinion on this, but the fact remains, it is happening)

With that in mind, it would be logical to assume that there could be EU references in Episode VII, or even EU material included outright, but the question would be what. Some of the immediately post-RotJ stuff like the Thrawn Trilogy and the X-Wing series would make sense to keep in, as it likely wouldn't affect much in Ep. VII; the same would probably go for some of the pre-PM stuff like KotOR and the like. The big thorn would be the Vong War, considering that this movie is supposed to take place in its aftermath, and whether it's canonical or not. Considering that the scriptwriter wanted to "start fresh", I wouldn't put money on it, but you never know.

Okay, okay, this could work. Disney could easily still fit the Expanded Universe lore into the movies. Just give them a little nod ("Hey, remember that war with those aliens?") and then move right along with their own story. I still think it would be totally amazing if the new characters turned out to be Jaina, Ben, and...I don't know, Jag? Or Ben and Tahiri maybe.

I want a Kyle Katarn reference or you can fuck right off Jar Jar Abrams!

And what's the bet that a large important portion of it takes place on Tatooine?

I don't know why Luke was so dissmissive of living on that barren desert planet of canonically no value, every single powerful person in the universe has stopped there at some point in their journey to consult an ancient macguffin/chase a dangerous criminal/Get eaten by a tentacle vagina.

It's the hip-happeningist place in the galaxy according to extended lore!

Hero in a half shell:
And what's the bet that a large important portion of it takes place on Tatooine?

I don't know why Luke was so dissmissive of living on that barren desert planet of canonically no value, every single powerful person in the universe has stopped there at some point in their journey to consult an ancient macguffin/chase a dangerous criminal/Get eaten by a tentacle vagina.

It's become a thorn in the side of "current" EU writers, so much so that one of the editors at Dark Horse Comics at one point enshrined a quote on his desk saying "Stay the f*** away from Tatooine."

The Critic:

New Frontiersman:

nomaner:

I thought that they were redoing the Canon Policy for Star Wars, simplifying it from the M-, T-, C-, and N-Canon levels to just a simple Canon/Non-Canon classification. They're supposed to be going through the entire EU and saying what's happened in the timeline and what hasn't. (Sources: Here, here, here, and here. I realize that my sources are a bit biased in opinion on this, but the fact remains, it is happening)

With that in mind, it would be logical to assume that there could be EU references in Episode VII, or even EU material included outright, but the question would be what. Some of the immediately post-RotJ stuff like the Thrawn Trilogy and the X-Wing series would make sense to keep in, as it likely wouldn't affect much in Ep. VII; the same would probably go for some of the pre-PM stuff like KotOR and the like. The big thorn would be the Vong War, considering that this movie is supposed to take place in its aftermath, and whether it's canonical or not. Considering that the scriptwriter wanted to "start fresh", I wouldn't put money on it, but you never know.

Huh. You have a fair point there good sir. I wasn't actually aware of any of that, biased opinions or not. So I guess if nothing else, most of those stories will probably remain canon.

I kind of hope they don't reference it overmuch in the movie though, I think it would just serve to confuse most of the movie goers, who are probably familiar with the movies, but not so much the expanded universe.

Either way, thanks for sharing, that's interesting.

New Frontiersman:

nomaner:

MrPeanut:

Disney has pretty much burned the EU to the ground. They are going through everything to decide what is and isn't cannon. Considering that they have banned the toymakers, Hasbro etc, from making any EU based Action Figures or toy subjects going forward (with an exception for some TOR stuff), easy money says everything past the closing credits of RotJ is gone. No longer cannon. and will not be added to. The best we can hope for is some stuff slowly re added as cameo's and references via things like the Rebel's animated show or background cameo's in the movies. Just as they did with the Prequel Trilogy and the animated Clone Wars series. (They snuck in stuff like the Outrider and Quinlan Voss in the Prequels. They introduced a lot of classic EU ships, such as the Z-95, the armored Y Wings, Bossk's Hounds Tooth, The Lady Luck (or at least its type) etc in the Clone Wars.)

Here is what we can reasonably expect to survive Disneys purge of cannon to make way for the new movies. Anything that was on screen. So the Original Trilogy. The Prequel Trilogy, the Animated Clone Wars, Rebels, Shadows of the Empire. And other than some cool ship designs, that will pretty much be it. Any of the comics or novelizations, unless they are explicitly referenced on screen are gone.

New Frontiersman:

nomaner:

MrPeanut:

It's not really a problem. Everything that happened after the Vong War minus that one X-Wing novel has been total garbage. Little of value lost.

There has to be a reason, after all, for them to not be all young and spry like were at the end of Jedi.

Radiation from Endor that nobody knew about aged them prematurely.

BAM

OT: Yeah, kind of figured they'd set it a few decades afterwards considering the appearance of the original cast members. I wonder what they're going to say about those 30 years we didn't get to see...

Naw, I think we are going to loss the Yuuzhan Vong War, way to complicated to keep in EU; especially if those annoying three Solo things are not included (willing to give up thirty years of EU and all those book I have bought if I never have to hear about any of the solo kids again). If they reference Thrawn, X-wing and/or Wraith squadron it would be in passing. Actually, destroying EU is about the only way this movie would work. It would be okay, for me as a nutty fanboy, as long as JJ doesn't destroy the fandom IV, V, and VI created.

You know as far as Tatoonie is concern, there is a really cool NJO Jedi from Tatooine, one that could be introduced into the new movie without out much fuse or backstory to get in the way of current story, you know: Tahiri Veila.

Soviet Heavy:

New Frontiersman:

nomaner:

It's not really a problem. Everything that happened after the Vong War minus that one X-Wing novel has been total garbage. Little of value lost.

I second that. The vong war was getting too dark for me, but was still pretty good. Post vong just got strange.

Hopefully this means that the Jedi knight games are still cannon.

Hero in a half shell:

Or maybe they'll reveal that Tatooine will eventually be called Arrakis.

No real surprise here. Abrams said he wanted to do a "passing the torch" kind of story and, honestly, with the age of the original trio they had to set it a few decades after Jedi. Now, what happened in those 30 years? I don't think Disney is going to change much - they paid $4 billion for the universe (and erasing too much will tick off too many fans). All they're gonna do is lose some stand-alone and/or stupid stories, change some of the silly details in well-referenced ones.

SNCommand:

thanks for that image burnt into my mind at the begining of the day.... I've gotta work now ;-)

OT: Lost all interest in this as soon as Abrams got involoved.
He already ruined Star Trek for me, now he'd gonna do the same with my other childhood love!

I'm gonna call it right now: a new jedi order. That book series is what they are going to use. At least I hope... If they just say that all the books are non canon. Then they can fuck right off. Then again they could fuck right off with episode I-III so yea... nothing much changing there.

We already know that Carrie Fisher is one of the cast, it's safe to assume that Han, Luke and Leia are going to be in it.

putowtin:

SNCommand:

thanks for that image burnt into my mind at the begining of the day.... I've gotta work now ;-)

OT: Lost all interest in this as soon as Abrams got involoved.
He already ruined Star Trek for me, now he'd gonna do the same with my other childhood love!

Well, actually, if you think about it, JJ may be the perfect Director for this. Think about it. The criticism and why most people feel that the Star Trek movies were crap is because they don't focus on exploration like the original series, but more on action, intrigue, and so on... Which is exactly what most people felt was missing from I through III. Too much talking, too many annoying characters, not enough cool stuff.

I'm actually pretty hyped for this. Loved both new Star Trek movies, and Abrams really can't make a bigger hash of Star Wars than the prequel trilogy already did.

Ukomba:

I second that. The vong war was getting too dark for me, but was still pretty good. Post vong just got strange.

The Vong War was what drove me away from the EU.

Mostly because they were way too contrived (yeah, I'm complaining about "contrivance" in Star Wars).

But really, the Yuuzhan Vong were just too "perfect" of an enemy for the New Jedi Order to face since they were diametrically opposed to the Jedi in every way. Oppressive, light-saber proof (which made such little sense that they had to reinvent how lightsabers worked), force-proof, and far more numerous than the Jedi.

It's as though the EU writers wrote in too much power for the Jedi. These beings who can effectively do anything: Super Jump, Super Speed, incredibly potent telekinesis, mind-control (or "suggestion"), wields laser swords that can cut through damn near anything...and so they had to invent something very specific just to create tension.

Though as bad as I thought the Vong saga was...what followed was worse.
My dad still reads that stuff, and I thumbed through a few novels while visiting.

Ugh. The melodrama is strong with that crap.

OT: The only content I'd be rather sad to see discarded as canon are the Rogue and Wraith Squadron books...and maybe Kyle Katarn's stuff (though there is some truly stupid contrived shit in his stories).

Everything else can burn for all I care.
Abrams is still heading the films and after seeing his run with Star Trek, I have no hope for the direction Star Wars will take afterwards anyway.

I am curious to see how it goes. I'm an EU (novel, never did the comics) guy since the Thrawn novels came out in the mid-90's so I am pretty invested in the Expanded Universe. With that said, I almost hope they throw the whole thing away. I don't want to be watching the movie and the whole time just thinking about what does and doesn't mesh with the expanded universe. I think I can just compartmentalize it off in my brain and just enjoy the new take.

With that said, I am very curious if Jacen and Jaina are going to be in it. If they asked Lucas's opinion at all, I think he would want those two in there. I read some interviews with some writers and Lucas was pretty strict on how those two characters were handled. He was pretty hands off for the most part, but he required a re-write of one of the Vong books because they were going to kill off Jacen.

I don't even see other main stalwarts of the EU surviving this such as Mara Jade, Kyle Katarn, or Ben Skywalker, but Jacen and Jaina....very possible.

If they did use the post Vong war EU for a setting I really wouldn't have a problem with it. I though the premise was okay, just the writers they used were pretty poor at making a cohesive story. There is a good question raised on how to balance the power of the jedi (especially a family of them like the Skywalker/Solo clan) with a government for 'regular' people. It's hard to trust them after pretty much every war in history is a result of Jedi vs Sith squabbles. It's a decent basic story in my eyes.

They'd pretty much have to do that for anything to make sense.

As much as I enjoyed Timothy Zahn's trilogy, I found almost all the rest of the post-Episode VI EU stuff to be complete crap. The Courtship of Princess Leia was probably the last nail in that coffin for me and it, truthfully, didn't take many nails to begin with.

Even the few things I did like, such as Stackpole's versions of the X-Wing books and the Dark Forces game sequels added a lot of things that really felt out of place. Ysalamiri? Jerek's Dark Jedi group? Bleh.

I'm very much ok with almost a complete purge of the EU, even the stuff I liked.

A few nods would be nice though. I'd love to see some references and characters still make it back into the light, even if in completely different ways:

Kyle Katarn
Mara Jade
Thrawn
Talon Kaarde
Corran Horn

I have no need for the melodramatic Solo-kids storylines or the Yuuzhan Vong. A lot of the Empire's "Remnant" storylines were overblown and overdone. Good lord, the Eclipse and the Palpa-clone from the Dark Empire comics? Gah.

Oh, and one other rule should go out to all EU writers and to the sequel makers: Stop trying to one-up everything in the movies. Just because there was the Death Star doesn't mean you need to make the super-space ship version of it (Eclipse). Just because there were clones in the past doesn't mean you need to clone prior characters. Just because the force exists doesn't mean you need to blow it out of all proportions (looking at you The Force Unleashed, and almost every book having the word "Darth" in it that isn't written by Drew Karpyshyn).

Atmos Duality:

Ukomba:

The Vong War was what drove me away from the EU.

Mostly because they were way too contrived (yeah, I'm complaining about "contrivance" in Star Wars).

But really, the Yuuzhan Vong were just too "perfect" of an enemy for the New Jedi Order to face since they were diametrically opposed to the Jedi in every way. Oppressive, light-saber proof (which made such little sense that they had to reinvent how lightsabers worked), force-proof, and far more numerous than the Jedi.

It's as though the EU writers wrote in too much power for the Jedi. These beings who can effectively do anything: Super Jump, Super Speed, incredibly potent telekinesis, mind-control (or "suggestion"), wields laser swords that can cut through damn near anything...and so they had to invent something very specific just to create tension.

Though as bad as I thought the Vong saga was...what followed was worse.
My dad still reads that stuff, and I thumbed through a few novels while visiting.

Ugh. The melodrama is strong with that crap.

OT: The only content I'd be rather sad to see discarded as canon are the Rogue and Wraith Squadron books...and maybe Kyle Katarn's stuff (though there is some truly stupid contrived shit in his stories).

Everything else can burn for all I care.
Abrams is still heading the films and after seeing his run with Star Trek, I have no hope for the direction Star Wars will take afterwards anyway.

I'm not going to argue that. There were parts I liked, but it did hurt my love of the EU. For me, it was where Star Wars lost its sense of fun. The prequels killed the sense of wonder.

Eh. I'm always down for more Star Wars but I really don't want a Twilight/Hunger Games with lightsabers.

Sol_HSA:

Hero in a half shell:

Or maybe they'll reveal that Tatooine will eventually be called Arrakis.

Now THAT would be a plot twist I would heartily endorse.

"Master Jedi, the Hutts have us surrounded with an entire army, what can we do?"

"SUMMON WORRRRRRRMS!"

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or