The Next Oculus Rift Developer Kit is Coming in July for $350

The Next Oculus Rift Developer Kit is Coming in July for $350

Oculus Rift Developer Kit 2 2014 310x

Oculus Dev Kit 2 packs an OLED wallop.

The next development kit from Oculus VR is coming later this year, and it's a serious spec bump over the original.

Officially announced at GDC 2014, "Development Kit 2" features a lot of the tech present in the "Crystal Cove" hardware seen at CES 2014. This includes a 1080p OLED display (960x1080 per eye), 100-degree field of view, built-in accelerometer, gyroscope, and magnetometer, and an included CMOS USB camera for positional tracking. Connectivity is still via USB and HDMI.

The original development kit was discontinued late last month, so new hardware has been expected for the last few weeks. The new kit, while not retail-ready, should be significantly closer to whatever retail product Oculus VR ships in the next year or so. At $350, the new hardware is $50 more than the original dev kit -- largely due to the addition of the custom CMOS tracking camera, I think.

The new developer kit is available for pre-order on the Oculus website today, and hardware is expected to ship in July.

Yeah, it's becoming a bit harder for me to hold out until the official consumer release... although, weren't they saying that the release of the next dev kit would mean that the consumer release is right around the corner?

Oh yes please. *drool*

Placed my order in the chaos that ensumed. Some of the design for the purchase buttons and whatnot were bugged, but I managed to slip through. Saw lots of comments on their facebook page about problems with PayPal or orders timing out.

Now I'll just have to wait 4 months...

Placed my order too!! At first I tried PayPal, but it didn't work for some reason.

I phoned my wife - and I was clear to mention that I was NOT willing to negotiate the purchase, just which card to use to maximize cashback :)

It's going to be the longest 4 months of my life...

I wish someone would just buy them out already. That is what they are waiting for, and I do believe they are trying to entice Valve to buy them up. I will be blown away if they ever produce a consumer model without a buyout from someone like Valve. All this hyping and we still don't have even a remote idea of when the supposed consumer model is coming along.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here