Latest Mighty No. 9 Gameplay Footage and Characters Revealed

Latest Mighty No. 9 Gameplay Footage and Characters Revealed

Comcept provides details of the other numbers in a new Mighty No. 9 video and shows off some barebones gameplay.

Mighty No. 9's likeness to Mega Man is a surprise to no one. Comcept revealed at GDC its latest prototype of its upcoming crowdfunded game Mighty No. 9, introducing all nine Mighty No. characters while the protagonist Beck, also known as "Mighty No. 9," performs like any side-scrolling character would.

As Beck runs to the right and shoots down enemies, descriptions of the other characters appear on screen. Beginning with Mighty No. 1, who is illustrated in flames, and ending with Mighty No. 9 himself, the descriptions address their strengths and combat style. Beck will have to fight the eight other mighty robots along his journey.

The gameplay of Mighty No. 9looks like Mega Man's, as was to be expected from Mega Man co-creator, now at Comcept, Keiji Inafune. Beck has hook-hanging and air dashing abilities, and he can stun and then absorb enemies with a dash attack. Beyond fighting enemies, the player will have to make use of his skills to avoid any traps.

The gameplay is still in alpha, but this is the most that Comcept has revealed of how Mighty No. 9 will play. The other robots each have an elemental theme, but they can do more than just shoot. Mighty No. 3, for example, can control machinery and short circuits, and Mighty No. 4 can reform terrain.

Mighty No. 9 is scheduled to launch in spring 2015. The Kickstarter campaign greatly surpassed its $900,000 goal, raising $4 million and met all of its stretch goals. It will be available on PS4, Xbox One, Vita, 3DS, PC, Mac, Linux, PS3, Xbox 360, and Wii U.

Source: YouTube

Can't wait. Looking better every time I see it.

Heh. Well, I can't help but actually feel that this is going places.
Though I wonder how "Mega Man-ny" this can get before Capcom tries to sue.

Spring 2015

I can't wait that long. IT LOOKS SO AWESOME!

I must have it. Although, I can imagine Capcom trying to throw a wrench into the works at some point just to be giant pricks.

I like number seven, for some rather obvious reasons.
On a bit of a side not from the characters, the way the BSPs look would make me think they're building this in UDK.

Nice that they're reviving the Megaman franchise under a different name, but I'll still miss Megaman, Roll, Protoman and Bass as characters :(

So they're doing the Mega Man Zero thing where the only way to duck is to dash.

Okay.

Also Mighty Number 7 needs to be playable. Just saying.

A whole year until release? (Sigh...)

I expect it will be worth the wait. I've loved Mega Man's gameplay for well over two decades now, and Inafune was the member of the creative team that I most respected. He wanted to stop the X series with X5; he made sure that the Zero series had a definitive beginning and end and didn't allow it to be milked...basically he was a voice of reason in the monkey house that is Capcom and I fully trust him to take the essence of the Capcom games I loved and create something great.

Mighty No. 7 -- Wow, someone's been reading Corey Lewis' "Sharknife" graphic novels (it's pretty awesome btw)! I've been kind of in the dark and not really following this game but I'm starting to get really excited for it.

I dig the Mega Man X style gameplay. I don't really care for the idea of a congratulatory message after every single enemy killed though. I wish they would abandon that; unless it is necessary as an indicator to string a combo to get something - and I mean something relevant to gameplay, and not some acheivement. Otherwise an explosion is all that is needed. The character designs are cool (No. 1 is awesome) - the concepts and ideas behind them are really interesting, but is it just me or does the artwork itself look like it lacks some polish (No.'s 5 and 6 especially)? I'm sure everything will look great in-game. Looking forward to it!

And now I cry because this isn't coming out until next year. This, along with A Hat in Time, Shante Half Genie Hero, and Shovel Knight are the only games that I will not mind paying for multiple copies of to support the developers. :D

Also, as the sentiment seems to be here, I hope they also make Mighty No. 7 playable. :3

despite the fact is still in alpha or pre-alpha or whatever, is shaping up nicely

Atmos Duality:
Heh. Well, I can't help but actually feel that this is going places.
Though I wonder how "Mega Man-ny" this can get before Capcom tries to sue.

It can get as close to Mega Man as it wants just shy of using any copyrighted characters or music. I'm sure it gets slightly more complicated than that, but you get the gist of it. There have been games that were even more blatant about ripping-off some popular game du jour.

I think they still have to tweak some shaders, it still has that Unreal Engine 3 feel but I'm sure they will fix it.

RatherDull:

Okay.

you mean the megaman thing where the only way to duck is to slide, right?

except it makes more sense that somebody could boost that far as opposed to scooting around on their butt without any means of propulsion

vagabondwillsmile:
Mighty No. 7 -- Wow, someone's been reading Corey Lewis' "Sharknife" graphic novels (it's pretty awesome btw)! I've been kind of in the dark and not really following this game but I'm starting to get really excited for it.

I dig the Mega Man X style gameplay. I don't really care for the idea of a congratulatory message after every single enemy killed though. I wish they would abandon that; unless it is necessary as an indicator to string a combo to get something - and I mean something relevant to gameplay, and not some acheivement. Otherwise an explosion is all that is needed. The character designs are cool (No. 1 is awesome) - the concepts and ideas behind them are really interesting, but is it just me or does the artwork itself look like it lacks some polish (No.'s 5 and 6 especially)? I'm sure everything will look great in-game. Looking forward to it!

Tell me MORE about this..."Sharknife" graphic novels you speak of. I've Googled the name, and I'm amazed by the art. Please leabortae.

1:48 Shadow Man lives! XD 2:04 I like this one. He has sort of a Mexican Search Man theme going on there.

vagabondwillsmile:

it looks like a combo system, because when he fudges the combo midway through the demo, the color changes.

weirdguy:

RatherDull:

Okay.

except it makes more sense that somebody could boost that far as opposed to scooting around on their butt without any means of propulsion

And it doesn't make sense why you can do that but you can't duck.

RatherDull:

weirdguy:

RatherDull:

Okay.

And it doesn't make sense why you can do that but you can't duck.

I guess nobody wants to see Beck crabwalk?

also, be able to shoot or boost upwards

It certainly look promising, I can't wait to see the whole thing (background and level design) in full glory!

It make me wonder, if the new series became successful to the point they release a sequel, will the new villain will be called Mighty No 10 and onward?

Seeing this sparks my interest in this game, shame it's still more than a year away.

WhiteTigerShiro:
It can get as close to Mega Man as it wants just shy of using any copyrighted characters or music. I'm sure it gets slightly more complicated than that, but you get the gist of it. There have been games that were even more blatant about ripping-off some popular game du jour.

True.
If Zynga can get away with outright code theft, then a legitimate team making their own content from scratch should be fine.

GamerMage:

vagabondwillsmile:

Tell me MORE about this..."Sharknife" graphic novels you speak of. I've Googled the name, and I'm amazed by the art. Please leabortae.

I don't want to risk derailing the forum discussion for something that's just tangentially related to the topic (besides, telling the story and so on might ruin the experience of reading it for you for and others). So, I'll just tell you to get both available volumes from his website (reyyy); you'll get redirected to amazon. They aren't expensive - I highly, HIGHLY recommend them. So much energy (especially in the second volume)!

OT: I rewatched the footage and at 1:02 the dash/jump backwards is cool, and so is the dash down (stomp?) at 1:17. I wonder what other mechanics and maneuvers No. 9 has.

Atmos Duality:

WhiteTigerShiro:

True.
If Zynga can get away with outright code theft, then a legitimate team making their own content from scratch should be fine.

Well, considering this is Inafune's baby, I'm willing to bet that any such concerns are less of a blanket copyright issue, and more of a specific, contractual nature. During his tenure at Capcom, we don't know what rights, or to what extent, Inafune retains regarding his involvement in Mega Man developement. Depending on his contract with Capcom, he could retain extensive rights to his intellectual contribution, with which he is enabled to freely do as he pleases. Though again, the particulars of this would be something we don't (and can't) know. It should be safe to say, regardless, that he is profoundly aware of where lies the line he shall not cross, as it would all have been laid out in his contracts with Capcom while in their employ.

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 57685)