League of Legends to Feature in Game of Thrones Cross-Promotion

League of Legends to Feature in Game of Thrones Cross-Promotion

League of Legends

League of Legends characters will feature in a mash-up trailer to promote Game of Thrones season four.

What do Riot Game's MOBA League of Legends and HBO's fantasy drama Game of Thrones have in common? According to HBO, enough to warrant a cross-promotional deal between the two franchises. In order to promote its upcoming Game of Thrones season four, HBO got in contact with Riot, in order to discuss a campaign that would use League of Legends characters. Dustin Beck, vice president of eSports and merchandising at Riot Games, said that some kind of mash-up video was in the works.

"They're going to be getting some marketing assets, whether that's logo bugs or Website takeovers," said Beck, adding "But we're also working with their team to produce a mash-up trailer. They're giving us some exclusive sneak peaks into footage that hasn't been seen before." So, if you ever wanted to see how Jon Snow would stack up to the likes of Garen, or how Daenerys' pets would fare against Shyvana, this could be it.

Beck says that deals like this are great news for eSports such as League of Legends, as they have relevance to the dedicated fans it has built up over the years. "We've done a lot of player surveys to see what our fans like and dislike and I think a lot of the discussion and strategies going forward that we have are going to cater to our fan base," he said.

We want to make sure that any activations that we do are super authentic to our fans," Beck stressed, "And that we're not working with brands that aren't going to have any value to our players."

The League of Legends/Game of Thrones cross-promotion should appear some time during the three-week lead-up to season four's premier.

Source: A-List Daily

The question is, who is this a bigger sell-out move for?

Does this mean we'll get skins based of Game of Thrones? Cause that could yield interesting results...

JaceArveduin:
Does this mean we'll get skins based of Game of Thrones? Cause that could yield interesting results...

Like Garen and Lux as Jaime and Cersei Lannister? Interesting indeed.

The World Famous:

Neither, since we aren't talking about music? What are they selling out to? Riot has more players and money than some countries have people. I don't think there's any "shame" going on here. This isn't HBO putting Game of Thrones on Doritos or something. Sure it'll probably be totally cheese, but that's kind of the point.

I swear to all the powers of Chaos combined that if they include Lux in this trailer I'm fucking done with Riot.

Aprils fools joke maybe?

Evil mr dave:
I swear to all the powers of Chaos combined that if they include Lux in this trailer I'm fucking done with Riot.

why would that be?

Does this mean Warwick is the dire wolf? Whatever, I wanna see this.

Please include Swain, Please include Swain, I really wish to see my main, Swain in their trailer for this thing.... and if not him, please let it be Karthus.

Yes, because both Game of Thrones and League of Legends need all the promotion they can get right now.

It's not as if they're both already insanely popular or anything.

hickwarrior:

Evil mr dave:

why would that be?

[Trap Card Activation Intensifies]

The ADHD version of this story is this: Everything is wrong with her design (model, gameplay, lore, etc.); none of it makes sense in relation to any other part of her design and I would be pleased as punch if they addressed these glaring issues.

The full version can be found in this drunken essay I wrote 8 months ago when Aatrox was release:

http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=3482161

Some of the jokes are dated because I hadn't finished Storm of Swords at the time, but I think it gets the point across. All in all probably a sill idea to do the trailer, I for one like silly ideas, so ima give it the benefit of the doubt.

The World Famous:

Why do we immediately cry "sell-out" when something like this happens? I mean seriously there would be no ads of any kind for cool stuff if we cried sell out for every single awesome thing that decides to run some kind of ad campaign. Besides LoL is the hottest online game right now and its pairing with the new Lord of the Rings. What is there to complain about?

Gotta love all the rage on this thread, as-though this cross-promotion is somehow a bad thing for anyone.

Announcing Raylor, the Lord of Light, for new champion!

Passive: Setting enemies on fire lowers cooldowns. Targets on fire illuminate stealth and hidden champions within a range.

Q: All nearby targets burst into flames, which deals initial damage and burn damage for several seconds afterward.

W: Creates wall of searing light. Walking through it hurts and slows victim, deals secondary burn damage.

E: Flares up a huge light, summoning temporary shadow minions.

Ultimate: The Night is Dark and Full of Terrors
All enemies on the map loose the light from their eyes, rendering them blind for several seconds. Fire monsters spawn in huge numbers and last for half a minute before burning out.

Seems like a strange crossover to me.
The two are fantasy themed, but share absolutely nothing else in common apart from that (setting, tone, medium, purpose).

I've nothing against this, but sorry; I just don't get the point.

JaceArveduin:

Well... If it's anything like the erotic LoL fan-fiction I come across at DeviantArt, I imagine the pairings will have the Lannisters portrayed by C-

Oh, wait, you meant LoL character skins, not LoL parody por- Err... never mind, carry on...

conmag9:
Announcing Raylor, the Lord of Light, for new champion!

Passive: Setting enemies on fire lowers cooldowns. Targets on fire illuminate stealth and hidden champions within a range.

Q: All nearby targets burst into flames, which deals initial damage and burn damage for several seconds afterward.

W: Creates wall of searing light. Walking through it hurts and slows victim, deals secondary burn damage.

E: Flares up a huge light, summoning temporary shadow minions.

Ultimate: The Night is Dark and Full of Terrors
All enemies on the map loose the light from their eyes, rendering them blind for several seconds. Fire monsters spawn in huge numbers and last for half a minute before burning out.

Or just give Brand a skin...

Evil mr dave:

hickwarrior:

Evil mr dave:

why would that be?

The ADHD version of this story is this: Everything is wrong with her design (model, gameplay, lore, etc.); none of it makes sense in relation to any other part of her design and I would be pleased as punch if they addressed these glaring issues.

The full version can be found in this drunken essay I wrote 8 months ago when Aatrox was release:

Some of the jokes are dated because I hadn't finished Storm of Swords at the time, but I think it gets the point across. All in all probably a sill idea to do the trailer, I for one like silly ideas, so ima give it the benefit of the doubt.

Hopefully they will have some fun with this. Cross promotional skins would be nice.

Casual LoL players won't understand the outrage, but Runeterra and Westeros are two completely different worlds. If A Song of Ice and Fire skins had been announced, that would have been pretty sweet. Seeing as how Game of Thrones is the biggest thing since Jesus right now, it's obviously just another money hungry ploy looking to take advantage of the hype.

Not G. Ivingname:

Evil mr dave:

hickwarrior:

why would that be?

Hopefully they will have some fun with this. Cross promotional skins would be nice.

Honestly, that would be fucking ace. Can you imagine a Tyrion skin for Gragas? #Shutupandtakemymoney

Evil mr dave:

Not G. Ivingname:

Evil mr dave:

Honestly, that would be fucking ace. Can you imagine a Tyrion skin for Gragas? #Shutupandtakemymoney

No, they'll make Tyrion Teemo and give him a crossbow.

It's like hungry hungry hippos, only they're supposed to be people :D

Some of the more obvious cash-grabs I've seen.

Or just have certain characters be GoT House Sigils:

Zyra - House Tryell
Warwick - House Stark
Nidalee - House Lannister
Vel'Koz - House Greyjoy
Anivia - House Arryn

etc etc...

Brace yourself...minions are spawning. (Sorry...had to say it!)

Ya know, I've never really gotten into LoL... *waits until people stop gasping* PEOPLE LIKE ME EXIST!!! Yeesh...anyways, despite it being an obvious corporate move, I could definitely see where both groups could have a lot of fun with this. Besides the memetic stuff (like I did), it would be kinda fun to see how the two worlds mesh.

Mind you this is coming from the guy that still wants to see Gordon Freeman and Chell as playables in a future TF2 expansion, but you get the idea.

I....umm......Uhh.....

I don't know what the hell to think of this...

I really don't... 0_o

Unless they make a trailer that goes like this:

Then it would be pretty funny. XD

GamemasterAnthony:
Brace yourself...minions are spawning. (Sorry...had to say it!)

You got a chuckle out of me. ;) well done.

Much as I love LoL and much as I am into Game of Thrones (without actually watching it of course, I just follow it), this still sounds REALLY dumb.

Out of everything you chose League of Legends...anything else would of been better...ANYTHING!

"vice president of eSports and merchandising at Riot Games" This guys is doing a shit job of merchandising league of legends to be honest.

... I really don'r have any words for this.

Who the fuck came up with this? It seems like such a weird and arbitrary marketing strategy.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here