Electronic Arts Voted Out of "Worst Company In America" Poll

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Electronic Arts Voted Out of "Worst Company In America" Poll

Electronic Arts 350px

Bad news, EA haters: The three-peat is off.

Electronic Arts was a solid favorite to win this year's Worst Company in America award, which would have given it an unprecedented three Golden Poos. Yet it didn't even make it out of the first round, as it was edged out by Time Warner Cable, which must now surely be seen as a front-runner for the top spot.

Time Warner Cable got 51.2 percent of the vote in its first-round showdown with EA, which pulled down a mathematically-obvious 48.8 percent. That's the narrowest margin since 2011, when BP beat out Bank of America by less than one percent to win the overall title.

EA had a rough ride last year with the launch of Battlefield 4 but the Consumerist said that Time Warner's looming merger with Comcast, another former winner, is likely what put it over the edge. The still-independent Comcast delivered an "absolute crushing" to its first-round dance partner Yahoo!, 87.9 percent to 12.1 percent, suggesting that "there is a lot of hatred out there for the nation's largest cable/internet provider."

It's sad, in a way, to see the dream come to an end, unless you work for EA or think there are worse things that a major multinational can do than release kind of half-assed video games. Peter Moore will no doubt be happy about it, even if the result is less "we can do better" and more "somebody else can do worse."

Source: Consumerist

Well thank god that they got voted out. Now finally people can stop complaining that EA won the awards two times in the row and that it should have went to some other company.

OT: Well EA hasn't made too many controversial moves lately so I guess there is not too much to hate on. The only really big negative they really had was that stupid idea that was dungeon keeper and I guess you could throw in the launch of battlefield 4 i guess.

Well, I guess it's for the best. Anti-consumer practices by EA does are not likely to pass unseen in this day and age, anyway, so there's that fact to console the people who voted for them.

I wondered what that sound coming from the West was, must have been the collective sigh of relief coming from EA HQ.

Good.

If this poll was actually going to have an effect of what EA do or don't do we'd have seen it mid way through the second round, I imagine all of the armchair business experts on the Consumerist are currently pleased that the "peasants" have left them alone to decry other equally horrendous companies.

All that said am I the only one who still remembers that it wasn't ME3 that set this off the first time (it was a happy accident that they coincided) but instead the vividly terrifying reports made by both former and current EA employees about the kind of Work House level contracts they saddle you with?

Two things,

First of all, didnt even know voting for this started again. Probably due to lack of living in the US of A.

Second, i wouldnt be surprised if EA had some people on a dedicated mission to make sure EA wouldnt get through the first round(s)

From what I've heard about Time Warner Cable (I'm British and we have these things call competition laws and so are less inclined to be forced into using shitty services) they are one of the worst companies to deal with you could imagine simply because they have a captive audience of people forced to use their services.

Look guys EA is a shitty company but they have not nothing on genuine monsters like Bank of America.

They should give an honourary mention every year to companies that do a repeat so that they don't take up a spot in their bracket. The "lifetime achievement in being filled with poo" award. Mention them repeatedly every year in the bracket until they go a certain amount of years where they wouldn't have been nominated even if they were viable, say, five years. I mean, EA won't, because its fucking-EA, but that way EA can get a mention every year aside some other shitty company.

EA has alot of money.. I mean it would have been impossible for them to use so much money on all the garbage games we have seen them publish over the years. My guess is that EA stopped lighting cigars with 100 dollar bills and instead used that surplus of cash to ensure that it would be impossible for them to win a third poo.

Learn from this, EA. Drag yourself up from the pit you've fallen into and redeem yourself. It can be done. Honest, it can. You simply have to want to do it.

...why do I feel like my words will go unheard?

I can't help but feel that if I'd just voted a few more times during that hour or so of voting, that EA would still have a chance. Oh well. Doesn't diminish my grudge against them in the slightest.

There's really very little in this "competition" to hold my interest now. No matter which of the remaining companies "wins", there will likely be zero reaction and nothing will change.

See you next year, Consumerist!

How about instead of making several quality developers into losers in March Madness or w/e you guys have, you vote for the worst video game developers of the year?

Because I'd be totally down for that.

That's a shame, I would have loved to see their reaction to a third consecutive 'win'.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

I've waited to long for them to win this. *sigh*

This isn't over EA, we'll get you someday, somehow.

Andy Chalk:
Peter Moore will no doubt be happy about it, even if the result is less "we can do better" and more "somebody else can do worse."

Set the bar that low and you'll be happy every time.

Awww, bit of a shame really. The meaningless award shoulda gone to 'em.

Good.

It won't have any effect on the company even if they were voted the worst, but at least now the morons who voted for EA can shut the fuck up, even if it's just for one year.

I'm relieved that a video game publisher isn't in the top spot anymore. It felt like there were more deserving organizations whose practices deserved a bit of stage time, and that EA was just the whipping-boy (albeit a deserving one).

I work for Time Warner Cable, they allow me to be part-time, have full benefits including free Cable/Internet. The company has won several "Best Place to Work" awards and most employees are happy working there.

*These are my opinions and not those of Time Warner Cable*
Time Warner Cable and Comcast are getting screwed by other companies. First off, Network Interface Cards in computers have been getting cheaper and sh*ttier year by year. Second Cable modem manufacturers Ubee, Cisco, Motorola, Netgear, Arris, etc have been giving the crappiest quality modems to the cable companies so customer would buy their modems from the store instead of renting it from the cable companies. Lastly there are a large percentage of customer base that does not do the simple stuff to protect their computers from virus and malware that slows internet speeds and are undetectable from the cable company.

Fair enough, honestly. I've heard such horrific shit about TWC that to be almost on par with them is damning enough.

Sniper Team 4:
Learn from this, EA. Drag yourself up from the pit you've fallen into and redeem yourself. It can be done. Honest, it can. You simply have to want to do it.

...why do I feel like my words will go unheard?

I hear you. I'm glad. They've been taking steps in the right direction and I'm glad to see they don't get it a third time. I want them to continue on their post Riticiello upswing.

That's A-Ok

Now how about people actually vote for companies that, oh i don't know, ruins lives, other businesses, the environment, the economy, have horrible business practices, just terrible companies all around.
While EA does have numerous horrible business practices(I'm looking at you Dungeon Keeper), EA really doesn't qualify as the worst company when BoA is still fucking people over consistently.

Baldr:
I work for Time Warner Cable, they allow me to be part-time, have full benefits including free Cable/Internet. The company has won several "Best Place to Work" awards and most employees are happy working there.

*These are my opinions and not those of Time Warner Cable*
Time Warner Cable and Comcast are getting screwed by other companies. First off, Network Interface Cards in computers have been getting cheaper and sh*ttier year by year. Second Cable modem manufacturers Ubee, Cisco, Motorola, Netgear, Arris, etc have been giving the crappiest quality modems to the cable companies so customer would buy their modems from the store instead of renting it from the cable companies. Lastly there are a large percentage of customer base that does not do the simple stuff to protect their computers from virus and malware that slows internet speeds and are undetectable from the cable company.

minor note: having worked for an ISP myself(and a fairly awful one at that), I can assure you that cable modem manufacturers do not "give" ISPs anything. If TWC/Comcast are getting poor quality modems it is because they decided that better quality ones were not cost effective. That's not other companies screwing TWC/Comcast; that's TWC/Comcast screwing themselves and passing the screwing on to the customers.

second minor note: any change on the users' side would affect service across the board, not merely with one ISP, and therefore has no bearing on the comparative quality of the users' experience.

EA is going to release an incredibly smug press release about this.
I guarantee it.

That's fine with me, although I have no idea what Time Warner is or has done.

Just please tell me YouTube is in the running for their stupid copyright and flagging problems.

Scrumpmonkey:
From what I've heard about Time Warner Cable (I'm British and we have these things call competition laws and so are less inclined to be forced into using shitty services) they are one of the worst companies to deal with you could imagine simply because they have a captive audience of people forced to use their services.

Look guys EA is a shitty company but they have not nothing on genuine monsters like Bank of America.

Time Warner Cables is not forced on anyone(except if you live in an Apartment Complex in places like New York). Time Warner Cable has more than several competitors in each market. You have DirecTV, Dish, At&T, Verizon, and a myriad of smaller ISPs/media companies. Time Warner Cable just happens to have a better range of services.

I've said this before, but I'm glad that they aren't getting the third vote. Though there have been blunders (Dungeon Keeper and BF4 launch), EA has made a lot of changes since Poo 2 in the PR and consumer relations department:

The Origin bundle, giving away over $200 worth of games for as little as a dollar, giving out Steam keys so you didn't have to use Origin (for most of them) and giving all of the money to charity

The firing of John Riccitiello, a CEO who was making unpopular decisions and saying unpopular things to the public

Actually giving Bioware time to work on Dragon Age 3, compared to the absolute rushing out the door of DA2 and ME3

Getting rid of the online pass, and letting users download online access for free if they purchased the game before the abolishment

No, they aren't yet paragons of positive consumer relations and choices in the gaming world, but I've seen a definite change in attitude and are backing up that attitude since getting the second poo award.

Turns out a biotech company almost killed the entire world in the 90s by planning on selling a genetically modified bacteria present in all know plant species that would break down dead plant material into alcohol. Their own testing (and the EPA's as well) showed it was fine, as they tested it in sterile soil, and the company planned on releasing it. Fortunately, an independent study at Oregon State discovered that, when used in fertile soil, this bacteria would kill every plant species it came in contact with.

Turns out Apple still outsources their device construction to Chinese sweatshops were workers would rather kill themselves than go back to work.

Turns out EA isn't that fucking evil just because they made employees code for unpaid overtime sometimes.

I would say that Time-Warner's push to standardize capped and throttled internet access makes it much worse than EA this time around.

How is King not on the list of companies?

Johnson McGee:
I would say that Time-Warner's push to standardize capped and throttled internet access makes it much worse than EA this time around.

It dropped data capping and throttling policy years ago when the DOCSIS 3.0 standards were announced, and adapted a pro-net-neutrality policy. However that will be gone when it merges with Comcast.

Thank. Fucking. God.

EA shouldn't really have even been on the list, not when other company's on that list have 'anti-comsumer' that do orders of magnitude more harm to their customers then EA ever could. EA is a bad company and should be called out every time they fuck up, of that there is no doubt, but they are far from the worst company in the US.

would have been ironic to see them winning it a third time but i have to admit, they did improve a bit. but just a bit.

SKBPinkie:
Good.

It won't have any effect on the company even if they were voted the worst, but at least now the morons who voted for EA can shut the fuck up, even if it's just for one year.

Likewise for the people who complain about a meaningless internet award.I would ask for the insults to end but I guess that's too hard huh?

I don't really see them as the worst, I've thought Ubisoft with their plethora of DRM schemes ranging from limited installs to always online schemes were FAR WORSE than anything EA has ever done. They flip flopped on so many of their policies and now have Uplay shoved into games you have bought on other digital things. Want to play Rayman Origins? Well start it in steam....uplay boots and updates now you can play your game....okay...great but what the hell is the point of steam now? Yes SimCity launched with dumb DRM- but people showed they didn't want that and they fixed it years later. Doesn't exactly save them from it but it was still faster than Ubisoft who was basically telling everyone they're thieves and they don't trust you.

Okay, Dungeon Keeper mobile sucked, big deal, we've seen shit games before and people should know to avoid that. I don't directly blame EA for decisions that Maxis made and all the complaints about Mass Effect 3 and Dragon Age 2 I found largely moot and more accurately targeted to bioware or internal issues not directly EA.

Ahh Origin watches your PC harware oooo...ahh so bad...except the other digital platforms (steam/uplay) do the same for security reasons and to gather what the average person is packing so they can make games for it. But Origin also does it so they need to be singled out waahhh, evil.

I'm not defending them, I do find their mobile stuff pretty crappy and Sims 3 is a micro-transaction disaster- but people can stop that by not buying...but they do, so you can also pin some blame on people supporting such trends. But comparatively vs others? I find EA pretty mild. :|

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here