20% Off "WoW Killers": WildStar and Elder Scrolls Online

20% Off "WoW Killers": WildStar and Elder Scrolls Online

Subscription MMOs?!? What is this, 2005?

2014 could be the beginning of the end for WoW (or not...whatever.) Two hyped MMOs are soon to be released: WildStar and The Elder Scrolls Online. Will this be the revival of subscription-based MMOs - one based on a popular IP and one a completely new offer? Whatever the case, $15 buys you a lot of gaming these days (2/3 of a DLC Season Pass? Hah!). Fortunately for budget-conscious gamers, pre-order deals are available if you know where to look.

The upcoming June release WildStar has Standard and Deluxe versions available. Pre-ordering gets you a 20% discount after coupon at GMG and several other pre-order bonuses, including 30 days of game time, a 3 day head start, access to upcoming Beta weekends (next one begins on April 4th), and more.

It's a similar situation for The Elder Scrolls Online, but in a way more time sensitive. While the game releases officially on April 4th, pre-ordering the Standard Edition gets you a 3-day head start, OR if you snag the upgraded "Imperial Edition", you'll get a 5-day head start. That means you can start running the game as early as Sunday of next week, March 30th. There are a ton of in-game pre-order bonuses, including the ability to play any race in any alliance, whereas races will be faction-specific after the game releases.

MMO Pre-Orders

WildStar: Deluxe Edition (PC Download) - $60 at Green Man Gaming.

Releases June 3, but pre-orders include a 3 day head start (May 31st). List is $75. Deal expires March 28. Deal also valid in the UK/EU, dropping the prices to 40 and €48, respectively.

WildStar (PC Download) - $48 at Green Man Gaming.

Releases June 3. List is $60. Deal expires March 28. Deal also valid in the UK/EU, dropping the prices to 28 and €36, respectively.

The Elder Scrolls Online: Digital Imperial Edition (PC Download) - $64 at Green Man Gaming.

Release date is April 4, but Imperial Edition pre-orders get a 5 day head start (Sunday, March 30th 7am Eastern). List is $80. Deal expires March 28. Deal also valid in the UK/EU, dropping the prices to 56 and €64, respectively. The Imperial Edition also gets you these in-game bonuses:

• Ability to play the Imperial race (not in Standard Edition)
  • Ability to craft Imperial-style gear
  • Ability to transform gear into Imperial style
  • Rings of Mara (gets you bonus XP with a partner/friend)
  • Mudcrab Vanity Pet

The Elder Scrolls Online (PC Download) - $48 at Green Man Gaming.

Releases April 4, but pre-order includes a 3-day head start (Tuesday, April 1st at 7am Eastern, UK & Ireland at 12pm). List is $60. Deal expires March 28. Deal also valid in the UK/EU, dropping the prices to 40 and €48, respectively.

Xbox One Console Titanfall Edition - $449.99 at Best Buy.

List is $500. Guess these didn't sell that well? Now $50 off. Also available at Walmart and Amazon (after coupon at Amazon).

Releasing This Week

Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India (PC DLC) - $12 at Green Man Gaming.

List is $15. Deal expires March 28.

Total War: Rome II - Hannibal at the Gates (PC DLC) - $10.79 at GameFly.

Releases Thursday, March 27. List is $15.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (PC Download) - $7.99 at GameFly.

Releases Thursday, March 27. List is $15. Deal expires March 26.

Upcoming Releases

Warlock 2: The Exiled - Standard Edition (PC Download) - $24 at Green Man Gaming.

Releases April 10. List is $30. Deal expires March 28. Also available:

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn + $5 Gift Card (PS4) - $39.99 at NewEgg.

Releases April 14. List is $40. Deal expires March 31.

FIFA World Cup 2014 Brazil (Xbox 360, PS3) - $59.99 + $10 Gift Card at NewEgg.

Releases April 15. List is $60. Deal expires March 31.

Console Gaming Deals

Buy 2 Pre-Owned Video Games, Get a 3rd Free - at Best Buy.

Deal expires March 29. Approx 5,000 qualifying games, including next gen console titles.

South Park: The Stick of Truth (Xbox 360, PS3) - $42.99 at Amazon.

Released March 4. Next best is $57. Deal expires today.

Tales of Symphonia Chronicles (PS3) - $29.99 at Amazon.

List is $40.

Ryse: Son of Rome - Pre-owned (Xbox One) - $24.99 at GameFly.

List is $60.

PC Game Deals

Red Faction Complete (PC Download) - $13.35 at GameFly.

List is $67. Includes Red Faction, Red Faction 2,
Red Faction: Armageddon, Red Faction: Armageddon - Path to War DLC, and Red Faction: Guerrilla.

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Blacklist Deluxe Edition (PC Download) - $12.49 at Green Man Gaming.

List is $50. Deal expires March 26.

Tomb Raider Game of the Year Edition (PC Download) - $8.40 at Green Man Gaming.

Elsewhere $30. Deal expires March 26.

Alganon: Rise of the Ourobani (PC Download) - $7.99 at GameFly.

List is $20.

Gaming Capable Laptops

HP Envy 15t-j100 Select Edition Core i5-4200M, Full HD 1080p, GeForce GT 750M 4GB, 8GB RAM - $704.99 plus $9.99 shipping at HP.

List is $855. Deal expires March 30.

Lenovo IdeaPad Y510p 59375624 Dual Graphics, Core i7-4700MQ, Full HD 1080p, Dual GeForce GT 750M 2GB SLI, 24GB SSD - $1,029.99 at Lenovo.

List is $1,300. Deal expires March 31.

Alienware 17 Haswell Core i7-4800MQ, Full HD 1080p, GeForce GTX 860M 2GB, 16GB RAM, 80GB mSATA SSD, Blu-ray - $2,243.12 at Dell Home.

List is $2,549. Deal expires April 3.

Alienware 18 Haswell Core i7-4800MQ, Full HD 1080p, Dual GeForce GTX 860M 4GB SLI, 16GB RAM - $2,339.10 at Dell Home.

List is $2,599. Deal expires April 3.

Gaming Hardware

NVIDIA Shield Tegra 4, 720p, 16GB - $199.99 at GameStop.

List is $250. The latest update supposedly gives a bunch of features to power users.

OUYA 8GB Gaming Console - $69.99 at Amazon.

List is $100. Deal expires today. Yup, some retailers still carry this baby.

Xbox 360 Chatpad with Headset - $13.99 at eBay.

Next best is $20 at Amazon. Good price if you need something simple that works.

The weekly "Big Deals on the Internet" is brought to you by the crew from Dealzon. If you want to save money on game deals, check in every Tuesday at 5:30PM Eastern for the latest deals. Feedback? Let us know in the comments!

The only thing killing WoW is WoW.

I wouldn't pay 40 for a PC game anyway, but that's 40 AFTER a discount, AND they want a monthly subscription fee? And microtransactions? Sorry Elder Scrolls Online, looks like you won't be the game to tempt me back to paying a sub fee.

Am I growing old or is the Elder Scrolls Online just not that impressive in reality?

On paper, it sounds like it's going to be an amazing game, but when I played the beta I just wasn't impressed. Maybe it's because I didn't give it much of a chance, but the range of arrows fired being limited really rubbed me the wrong way - Mostly because there was no indicator that there was a certain range.

Edit:

Even so, I must admit I am tempted to give it a go, but the cost of it is just too much for me for a game I'm not sure on...and that's without the addition of a subscription fee.

Which is a shame really, as I booked next week off so could get plenty of time playing it.

I didn't book next week off for it, it's just a coincidence.

frobalt:
Am I growing old or is the Elder Scrolls Online just not that impressive in reality?

On paper, it sounds like it's going to be an amazing game, but when I played the beta I just wasn't impressed. Maybe it's because I didn't give it much of a chance, but the range of arrows fired being limited really rubbed me the wrong way - Mostly because there was no indicator that there was a certain range.

YES!!! i get to do this again!

you can't bring the Elder Scrolls experience to an MMO. think about what ES is as it's core? combat? the spells are uninspired, clunky, and completely under powered in many regards while the melee combat is slow and unintuitive. the archery later becomes over powered. story? snorrrrrre. . . the NPCs are obnoxious at best. aesthetic? the art direction is so poorly realized it actually breaks my heart (the environments are pretty if you do a lot of looking up and night). so why do so many people adore ES?

shut up, i'll tell you; exploration and adventure. in my mind, there is only one thing ES gets right. they capture the feeling of because a real adventurer; a treasure hunting hero/villain who can plunder five dungeons before dinner. granted, Bethesda and Zenimax rely way to heavily on the dungeon crawling (watch out for drauger!) but it works. running through the mountains, anxious to see what around the next corner, standing at the top of the world, murdering bandits as you go; discovering new factions and engaging in their shenanigans, collecting houses full of toll skulls. this is really the only thing ES does right, though to be honest, even that doesn't stand up to scrutiny.

how are you supposed to bring that experience to an MMO without watering it down till it's nothing but another LOTR online or Guild Wars? by definition of an ES game, you can't. i'm willing to give it a try, but i have a good feeling it's going to fall flat on it's bland little face.

Wildstar. . . a lot of MMOs have been declared potential "WoW killers" over the years, but all of those declarations ignored the fact that under every single circumstance, WoW have spent hundreds of millions of dollars maintaining its community. people play WoW because they're friends are playing WoW. also, people hate change. think about how much time players have invested into their characters over the years. they're got all the sweet loot and epic mounts on Wow. most of them don't want to start over. Half of WoW at this point is just an advanced facebook. and blizzard has ten years of polish on the damned thing. competing with that kind of experience, trying to unearth roots that run so deep. . . that's no easy or inexpensive task.

that said, Wildstar looks slick as hell and i'm looking forward to it. there's no way it will kill WoW, but i 'spect it'll give it a good run for its money. they're taking everything polished about Wow and building on it. i've watch a few hours of game play; these guys know what they're doing to be sure. but can it compete with the Wow community experience? mayhaps. the aesthetic (which is amazing and i've been drooling over for the past year) will be able to attract a younger audience i think. maybe kids who don't want to play WoW because all the old fogies are playing it will wander into WS where they will start building their own decade-long communities. if there is a key to competing on any level with Wow, i think that's it.

razer17:
I wouldn't pay 40 for a PC game anyway, but that's 40 AFTER a discount, AND they want a monthly subscription fee? And microtransactions? Sorry Elder Scrolls Online, looks like you won't be the game to tempt me back to paying a sub fee.

Beat me to it. Upfront fee, monthly subscription and microtransactions was pushing it a bit to start with, but when the initial cost is already higher than almost any other game that's really just taking the piss.

looks desperate, trying to get as many first buyers as possible.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here