Terminator Reboot Will Feature Multiple Time Travelling Robots

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Terminator Reboot Will Feature Multiple Time Travelling Robots

Terminator

Arnold Schwarzenegger will play an older looking T-800 alongside a younger looking model that's eventually "reprogrammed."

When it comes to action franchises, you'd be hard-pressed to find another quite as iconic as The Terminator films. It'd be no great stretch, in turn, to say that a big chunk of its popularity is owed to Arnold Schwarzenegger. The actor behind the titular Terminator itself, he's starred in three of the four existing films and will be returning for the series' 2015 reboot Terminator: Genesis.

As potentially exciting as his participation could be however, it's also raised a lot of questions concerning how the film will deal with Schwarzenegger's advancing age. At 66, he'll be nearly thirty years older than he was when he starred as the villain of the original film. It's an issue that the actor, speaking about the reboot recently, took time to address.

"It will be challenging because it will be a new director, and it will be a really action packed movie," said Schwarzenegger. "And sometimes it does get more difficult when you're 66 years old and doing this kind of action, versus when you're in your 30s or in your 40s." That said, Genesis will apparently be taking steps to integrate his age into its story. "The way that the character is written, it's a machine underneath," he explained. "It's this metal skeleton. But above that is human flesh. And the Terminator's flesh ages, just like any other human being's flesh. Maybe not as fast. But it definitely ages."

The film, in turn, will apparently also feature a second "younger T-800" that will eventually be reprogrammed. "What that model does later on when it gets reprogrammed, and who gets ahold of him... [there] will be all kinds of interesting twists in the movie." Terminator 2, of course, featured Schwarzenegger in the role of a reprogrammed T-800 fighting on the side of humanity. Whether or not this younger T-800 will wind up doing something similar is something we'll be interested to see.

Source: MTV

If it doesn't have Shirley Manson playing the T-1001 Catherine Weaver, then I'm not going to be interested.

Well, if it wants to somehow be even more godawful than Salvation, then it's got its work cut out for it.

But honestly, haven't we had enough of reboots by now? Can we try something new with the franchise?

Well this just sounds stupid. How exactly is it supposed to age when its nothing more a cover? Why not just 'deaage' him ala Jeff Bridges in Tron Legacy? Admittedly that was a little weird but it worked.

this movie would benefit by cutting out arnold altogether. the shoehorning of "aging flesh robot" just to include him reeks of stupid.

The endoskeletal tissue obviously isn't perpetually renewing. But then, why would have needed to be?

Why not have a Terminator camouflaged as a little old lady, for example?

You know what was great about the original terminator? There was a robot in it, what could we do to make it better? Add MORE robots in it! Yeah!
Then we'll give every one of them away by having them in the trailer removing all mystery!

I'm not really looking forward to this.

UUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHHHHHHHHHHHHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Text simply cannot communicated how much of a hopeless groan I emitted upon reading this article.

Can we let this leathery old corpse retire already?
Seriously, Arnold movies have been a big part of my life, but I like many other intelligent people recognize when it's time too move on. Arnold, or the people who keep hiring him evidently do not possess that innate sense, that feeling of: "This is getting a bit ridiculous, time for something different."
Nope, just keep resurrecting ancient action stars from their Valium induced comas too shamble around onscreen for ninety minutes spitting cliched lines and looking incredibly awkward firing guns.

The Rogue Wolf:
Well, if it wants to somehow be even more godawful than Salvation, then it's got its work cut out for it.

But honestly, haven't we had enough of reboots by now? Can we try something new with the franchise?

more awful than T4? Did you not see T3?

I like this news, Terminator is Schwarzeneggar. I wonder if the younger T800 will be a CGI Arnold or a different actor (please be the Rock)

martyrdrebel27:
this movie would benefit by cutting out arnold altogether. the shoehorning of "aging flesh robot" just to include him reeks of stupid.

I think one of the books (going back a long time since I read them so I'm probably wrong) went through the issues Skyney had with stopping infection due to yhe flesh not being part of an immune system. So in that cannon its not that outrageous.

The T800 with its Model 101 skin is made for infiltration, it wouldn't behard (for me) to believe that there are variations on this model to help with this. 101 Young, 101 Old, 101 Aging etc

The Rogue Wolf:

What, like leaving it the fuck alone?

I'm sick and tired of reboots especially when the original were damn fine and doesn't need one. How about taking the series in a new direction but without pretending all the previous movies never happened?

We could have a story about John Connor fighting a losing war and realize he needs to adopt a new strategy. One day he reflect on all that's happened to him, the time he spend with the first terminator that saved him and the new one that give him the heart that beats within him now.

He then realized that the terminators and AI got potential to be good, they programming were just flawed and instead of fighting them on the hardware side (shooting them) he assemble a team of tech and scientist to fight then on the software side, capturing and reprogramming terminators to fight for them.

We can have the storyline about him teaching the terminator about humanity and coexistance like in terminator 2.

Mr Ink 5000:

martyrdrebel27:

I think one of the books (going back a long time since I read them so I'm probably wrong) went through the issues Skyney had with stopping infection due to yhe flesh not being part of an immune system. So in that cannon its not that outrageous.

The T800 with its Model 101 skin is made for infiltration, it wouldn't behard (for me) to believe that there are variations on this model to help with this. 101 Young, 101 Old, 101 Aging etc

i figure after nailing down sentient AI and TIME TRAVEL, they might have the technology to handle anti-aging robot flesh. i've never read a terminator book (honestly, this is the first i've heard of such things) but this all still kinda avoids my original point that including arnold at all seems stupid to me. if i were someone of power within the making of this, i wouldn't have allowed it to happen.

but, maybe someone disagrees.

How about not doing a reboot? The movie is fine as it is. Let's be, I don't know, creative and create a new franchise?

StewShearer:
[Arnold Schwarzenegger] starred in three of the four existing films

He's been in all four.

OT: Why do people feel the need to 'reboot' great movies all the time? The original is a classic, leave it be.

Gordon_4:

This, just this. God damn it, just let this franchise die, it's over, it's done. Give up, go home.

Grouchy Imp:

StewShearer:

He's been in all four.

OT: Why do people feel the need to 'reboot' great movies all the time? The original is a classic, leave it be.

It's a way to gull the gullible.

Neta:
If it doesn't have Shirley Manson playing the T-1001 Catherine Weaver, then I'm not going to be interested.

It's funny you should mention the t.v series. According to the timeline of the franchise, all the movies that happen after T2 doesn't actually take place or happen.

Why? Why is this necessary? Not going to see this in a million years.

Then again, it kind of makes sense.
Terminator was hilariously 80s, with the style and the hair and the bad animatronics.
Terminator 2 was hilariously 90s, with the sassy 90s kid and the badass female.
Terminator 3 was hilariously 00s, with its washed-out aesthetic and bad self-referential humour.
(Not going to mention salvation)

This new one would be perfectly indicative of the age, just like its predecessors; we are in the age of reboots, this is a reboot. Studios are trying as hard as they can to leverage recognisable names for a little more security, and we have arnie crow-barred in at all costs.

So maybe we're just getting the terminator we deserve.

martyrdrebel27:

Mr Ink 5000:

martyrdrebel27:

i figure after nailing down sentient AI and TIME TRAVEL, they might have the technology to handle anti-aging robot flesh. i've never read a terminator book (honestly, this is the first i've heard of such things) but this all still kinda avoids my original point that including arnold at all seems stupid to me. if i were someone of power within the making of this, i wouldn't have allowed it to happen.

but, maybe someone disagrees.

well as for including the big guy in the T5; I'd go to my previous post that Terminator is Schwarzeneggar. no point ever making a Terminator TV Show/Movie without him IMO. but thats coming from an admitted Terminator fanboy and Arnold fanboy. Def prefer this option to a CGI Arnold.

As its a possible reboot, we may see T800's without the 101 Model. 102's 103's etc, and the public will be more accepting of other actors playing the Terminator role. I know I wouldnt like it, but I'd me more accepting of it

I think most the Terminator books were late 90's, not sure. Maybe Skynet failed Biology class?

Mr Ink 5000:

On the one hand, sure. But on the other hand, this line of argument makes it very clear just how stupid it is having Arnie involved at all. What kind of idiot would make your infiltration robots all look and sound exactly the same? The resistance wouldn't need dogs or any other crap to detect terminators. Just a poster with Arnie's face on it and instructions to shoot him on sight. Justifications for different age Arnies only makes the fact that they're all Arnie even more ridiculous.

Hey, at least it's not just called 'Terminator'!

Kahani:

Mr Ink 5000:

On the one hand, sure. But on the other hand, this line of argument makes it very clear just how stupid it is having Arnie involved at all. What kind of idiot would make your infiltration robots all look and sound exactly the same? The resistance wouldn't need dogs or any other crap to detect terminators. Just a poster with Arnie's face on it and instructions to shoot him on sight. Justifications for different age Arnies only makes the fact that they're all Arnie even more ridiculous.

They don't necessarily have to be all Arnold look alikes though. The model number isn't specifically for that skin, its for that model of robot. They probably made thousands of different variations.

Grouchy Imp:

StewShearer:

He's been in all four.

Arnold appearance in Terminator Salvation was actually CGI only. He was a tad predisposed at the time of its filming, being the governor of California and all.

At least the Terminator in part 3 tried killing people. In Salvation they just kindof held people down and made scary robot faces at them. A terminator should terminate.

StewShearer:

Grouchy Imp:

StewShearer:

He's been in all four.

Arnold appearance in Terminator Salvation was actually CGI only. He was a tad predisposed at the time of its filming, being the governor of California and all.

I was pretty sure he still received an acting credit for use of his likeness or whatever. Could be wrong though.

*goes off to check IMDb*

I stand corrected. Sorry 'bout that.

Grouchy Imp:

StewShearer:

Grouchy Imp:

He's been in all four.

I was pretty sure he still received an acting credit for use of his likeness or whatever. Could be wrong though.

*goes off to check IMDb*

I stand corrected. Sorry 'bout that.

No worries! :)

Gordon_4:

The Rogue Wolf:

That would actually be novel by Hollywood standards.

Kahani:

Mr Ink 5000:

I would like to Quote Boomstick from DEATHBATTLE! now: "...yeah, because multiple Olympic gold medal winning power-lifter
and Two-Time Mr Universe Arnold Schwarzenegger TOTALLY blends in with your average human."

While showing a clip of Arnie from Conan the Barbarian.

FUCK OFF with the ReBoots!

I don't want to hear anymore until they decide to Reboot ReBoot!

This really is the decade of reboots, isn't it?
Guess they can't come up with anything original anymore.

A reboot isnt needed. It only grew stale because no one wanted to do anything original with the source material. They just continue remaking the first movie. An rebooting does the same thing, remaking the original movie instead doing something completely different. In the comics they had a family group of terminators with a child and a dog. Because that was a good way to hide. The only reason they have Arnie is because he is in the 1st one, they need to get rid of him. You dont even need John Connor in it, you can have other Terminators being sent back to kill other influential people in his life, those that trained him or helped him become a leader.

If the suits in Hollywood are going to re-boot the Terminator series, why don't we go all the way? Let's re-boot Lawrence of Arabia and Casablanca, Dirty Harry, Blade Runner, and True Grit. Oh, wait...

Kahani:

Mr Ink 5000:

they might only have say 40 Arnie skins in use over an entire war torn USA (possibly over the world)not many printing presses etc about. unless you know where and when and who to photo, cant be emailing pics of Arnold to everyone. if he did become recognisable, that skin would be decomissioned. Movie cannon wise, there have only been 4 101's that we've seen, and we don't know which time theyre from.

I read this, which sounds like a T800 surviving its mission in the past could be the old Arnold.

Chatting to MTV, he said that "Terminator deals a lot with time travel, so there will be a younger T-800 and then [there's] what that model does later on when it gets reprogrammed and who gets ahold of him". So we're going to get more than one version of the T-800 in the upcoming film then.

Read more: http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/terminator/29858/arnold-schwarzenegger-on-the-terminator-genesis-story#ixzz2x64gyvyj

shintakie10:

They don't necessarily have to be all Arnold look alikes though. The model number isn't specifically for that skin, its for that model of robot. They probably made thousands of different variations.

sorry to be a massive fan boy;
http://terminator.wikia.com/wiki/Cyberdyne_Systems_Model_101#cite_note-0 James Cameron states that "...the model 101s all look like Arnold Schwarzenegger, with a 102 looking like someone else..." in his commentary on the DVD release of Terminator 2: Judgment Day
I think you mean the T800's dont have to all be alike

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or