Sony May Add Backward Compatibility to the PS4

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Sony May Add Backward Compatibility to the PS4

According to tipster Ahsan Rasheed, local PS2/PS1 support on PS4 with native 1080p rendering for select titles is coming.

Tipster Ahsan Rasheed, who has a pretty impeccable track record when it comes to leaks, has stated over Twitter that PS2/PS1 backward compatibility is coming to the PS4. He added that 1080p rendering for select titles would also be available, and that the PS4 is going to get some upgrades to its Bluray and media player.

In a second Tweet, Rasheed claimed that the software is still buggy and not every game works, but it's still reason enough to get excited. It seems to be that this functionality will come with the launch of PlayStation Now, which will also allow streaming of PlayStation 3 games.

He then talked a little about Project Morpheus, Sony's new VR initiative, stating that the company wants to hear as much criticism of the device from third-party developers, most likely to help improve the product.

Backward compatibility is one of those things that console games had kind of accepted isn't going to happen anymore. The PS3 was initially backward compatible by a single generation, and the Xbox One and PS4 have ditched it completely. Only the Wii U is natively backward compatible.

But if what Rasheed is saying is true, then that's huge news for fans of legacy titles, as it would mean the PS4 would be backwards compatible a whole three generations, second only to the PC in terms backward compatibility.

Source: Twitter via VG24/7

Very promising, BUT I'll hold my cheers till I see at what quality these games will run. I had a couple of PS2 games run on my PS3, with some of them getting their frame rate cut in half, and others having the screen vertically smooshed.

So if these games actually play well with no visual downgrade, then I'll bring out the fireworks.

Holy crap, I might actually get one if this turns out to be good. Depends though, if it's just "selected titles", i.e. those that will sell the best, because I own a LOT of PS2 games and PS1 games I'd like to play on a reliable console.
No alundra, no sale.

I'll wait til I hear more. Personally, I'm more interested in the PS3 streaming idea. I never owned a PS3, but there are a heap of games on it that I'd love to play.

Steven Bogos:

Backwards compatibility is one of those things that console games had kind of accepted isn't going to happen anymore. The PS3 was initially backwards compatible by a single generation, and the Xbox One and PS4 have ditched it completely. Only the Wii U is natively backwards compatible.

The PS3 was also played PS1 games. In fact, they still do, to my knowledge.

Still, if true this is amazing news. But I think I'll hold off celebrating until it's announced for real.

I would buy a PS4 for PS2 games

I hope this is correct, now we have a console that's not less powerful than a pc form 2004 we should be able to do some decent post processing on the PS1 and PS2 games, inject some AA and AO and make them look as good as you can make them look on an emulator. It is quite impressive the level of detail that is in the models of most PS1 games, you just cannot see it on PS1 native hardware, its not going to make it look amazing but i will try to dig up some of the screenshots i have of RE1 running on an emulator on my pc vs PS1 native and show you what kind of improvements you can expect if Sony do the job right.

Oh and on PS3 backwards compatibility why not have it so if you have a PS3 disk in the derive then it will let you stream the game OR let you download an updated version to your PS4 that will run but you have to have the PS3 disk in the drive so you cannot just sell it.

BrotherRool:
I would buy a PS4 for PS2 games

I might well too. If the backwards compatibility works, then I'd buy to replace my PS2 when that broke down.

I have been waiting on the PS4, biding my time to see what release come down the line.

This though, if this is true and as other have said, isn't some half arsed half baked measure, then I'm sold on the PS4 as of the time it happens.

"Report: PS4 to get PARTIAL PS1/2 Backwards Compatibility"

Come on, call it like it is. If they say 'select titles,' don't hype it up as being anything better than, say, the lousy xbox 360 partial backwards compatibility effort.

I wanted to buy a ps4 for my gf. Problem is that she has a fuckton of ps2-ps3 games. Most of them she wouldn't be that pissed off for if she could not play them. But the god of war series and oblivion... Yea she'd be pissed. If those games work on the ps4 then you have just gotten yourself a sale.

I have over 100 PS2 games and a broken PS2. If this turns out alright I'll have more than 100 reasons to buy a PS4.

partial ?

seriously sony...just give the MAME/PCSX2 guys a dev kit...and maybe a glance at whatever paperwork they need...

you've got nothing to lose.

Promising, but I want to know what their 'selection' is...

Sony is a huge mega corp. How hard would it be to hire a few independent programmers who specialize in making emulators free for the public. Its just a matter of putting a few of those corporate tendrils out to find these people and add them to their payroll for a bit. Mabey offer a royalty for every system sold or something. People have been emulating for the older gens for years now and for no pay. What if those people were solely dedicated to their emulation job and had the full software support of sony to develop it?

Imagine the money coming in. The ps2 was the best selling system ever and now those people may just want a ps4. Mabey those who don't already own a ps3 or smart tv would like to get into the multimedia/gaming box that is the current playstations now with no fear of having to swap systems for their older gen game fix.

"Media player updates"? As in, DLNA support? Because that would be quite nice, thank you very much.

If it worked in a satisfying manner (meaning, if all my games would work, even the obscure ones) then im buying a ps4. Lets see what happens, this could get interesting. Though it is a bit sad that my only reason to own a next gen console is to play blu-rays and to replace my aging ps2 (2003 and still going!).

iseko:
I wanted to buy a ps4 for my gf. Problem is that she has a fuckton of ps2-ps3 games. Most of them she wouldn't be that pissed off for if she could not play them. But the god of war series and oblivion... Yea she'd be pissed. If those games work on the ps4 then you have just gotten yourself a sale.

Would you take away her PS3 and PS2 when giving her a PS4 then?

Nah my PS2 still works fine, no oneed for me to spend 400 to upscale them.

If the PS4 has backwards compatibility that might actually tip me over the edge to buy a console for the first time in 10 years

bluegate:

iseko:

Would you take away her PS3 and PS2 when giving her a PS4 then?

Her ps3 (first generation) is starting to act up. She doesn't have a ps2 anymore. So yea I would get rid of her ps3 probably. I wouldn't if it still worked properly though.

Eh, I wouldn't make so much fuzz about it.

There are plenty of great emulators by now (which of course nobody would ever use with anything but legit discs in the drive ;)) and used PSX/PS2 are dirt cheap.

Yeah, it's nice to have a console that's backwards compatible and all, but we're still spoiled by the PS2 and Wii. Unless the system in question is either realtively moderate in terms of raw capacity (PSX, GBA ect.) or very similiar to the hardware it's supposed to emulate (like the Wii, which really is nothing but a GC on steroids), the results are usually nothing to brag about. We've seen how backwards compatibility turned out on the 360 and PS3, and unless Sony makes a major effort to optimize a feature they can't really monetize, I wouldn't expect much.

I was worried what I'd do once my PS2 stopped working. They don't make them anymore. If Sony can give me a PS4 with the backward compatibility of even the 80GB PS3 (PS1, PS2 games that are "limited"), I will buy a PS4.

If they're using the same definition of "limited" that they used when describing the backward compatibility of the PS3, it won't be half bad. Maybe a stretchy screen (with the ability to fix it), and some minor frame rate and texture issues.

Although Wild Arms 5 just refused to work on my PS3.

Chaosritter:
Eh, I wouldn't make so much fuzz about it.

There are plenty of great emulators by now (which of course nobody would ever use with anything but legit discs in the drive ;)) and used PSX/PS2 are dirt cheap.

Sure, but when the memory cards, or the controllers start to go, they're both impossible to find and incredibly expensive. With current gen support for backward compatibility, those issues become far more minor.

That's nice, but I'd really like it if I could play my media from a usb again. That'd be swell. Also, if this PS3 streaming somehow incorporated a way to let me stream PS3 games I already own, without having to buy them again, well that'd be just dandy.

It's a long shot, but if it's disc-based backwards compatibility, and I can use my old giant collection, I will go out and buy a PS4 the day I hear it confirmed.

Selected titles, huh....

Well, A for effort at least.
But its nice to see sony try to actually offer further improvements of its console.

Squilookle:

Come on, call it like it is. If they say 'select titles,' don't hype it up as being anything better than, say, the lousy xbox 360 partial backwards compatibility effort.

It basically amounts to them porting a PS1 and PS2 emulator over to PS4. It's certainly got the horsepower to do it, but they aren't going to certify that absolutely every title ever made for the hardware will work, because there will always be that one title that did something using an obscure undocumented feature of the hardware that makes emulators cry.

Hell, there have been cases where that was the case with PC hardware -- for example the 8086 instruction set supported popping from the stack into the CS register. There's no good reason you would ever want to actually do that if you are sane and aren't trying to write some horrific piece of spaghetti code specifically intended to be difficult to trace, but it was supported. Every following x86 chip does not support that instruction. The first generation of x86 processors to support protected mode also supported switching on paging (one of the main reasons to use protected mode) without actually turning on protected mode, aka "real mode paging" (which was much faster than protected mode if the only protected mode feature you needed was paging), which was also disabled in the following generation of processors and any attempt to activate that will cause an error. You could write an x86 emulator that will always work for all possible software ever because of things like that, but you can certainly hit the vast majority.

CAPTCHA: i need a vacation. Yes, captcha, I do. I'm also going to PAX East, so I'm going to have one soon enough... =p

And this is enough to tip me over the edge and buy
(that and the fact that I forgot to cancel my pre-order of inFamous: Second Son!)

Squilookle:

He seem to be referring that only select titles will run at 1080p native, not that only a few games will be supported, but will all run at 1080p.

bunnielovekins:
Holy crap, I might actually get one if this turns out to be good. Depends though, if it's just "selected titles", i.e. those that will sell the best, because I own a LOT of PS2 games and PS1 games I'd like to play on a reliable console.
No alundra, no sale.

You get ALL the points for showing Alundra some love! Give yourself a cookie! It's a great game.

OT: Depending on how this is impleminted, this is very, very good news. I would like to see local PS3 support rather than streaming as well, but this is deffinitely a step in the right direction, regardless.

My problem with this is that so far the PS2 library on PSN is pathetically small and mostly meh games. I looked through the entire thing and so far have only bought castlevania: lament of innocents(a subpar DMC that released after DMC) and Odin sphere(actually good). Meanwhile, PSOne games on there are plentiful and there are lots of great titles. This makes me sad.....

Well....I guess I will have to stick with my emulator that I LEGALLY loaded with the BIOS from one of my 2 PS2's( why not play them on one of those you ask? Because the ps2 controller crapped out and I'm not buying controllers for dead systems) to play my large library of PS2 games.

What I want to know is does this mean it will play the discs and/or digital titles already purchased on my account? Because it's a bit consumer-unfriedly to make us by the games all over again. On most of the PS3s, this made a little sense since the PS2 discs weren't compatible with the system's architecture. I'm also hoping they can make this streaming PS3 games thing work without having to make us pay for the games all over again. Also, memory needs to be transferrable. Like, start selling those memory card adapters there were for the early PS3s again. And let us transfer anything that we've uploaded to the online storage if we have Plus.

Also, I've found that early PS1 games don't play nice with HDMI or even component cables. So, if they're providing a graphical upgrade for discs, then awesome!

And the scales tip... but yeah, I'll wait for compatibility reports. I've got a pile of PS2 games I want to know work first. Still... not having to be paranoid about my 3rd PS2 dying (and having to dig up a new one again) would be nice.

On the other hand, as a previous poster noted... emulators are legal if you rip a bios from your own console. So I guess I don't have to be all that paranoid.

And to think I was planning to buy a PS3 (Xbox gamer at the moment) and keep the PS2 I currently have, and then get a PS4 later when the prices have dropped a bit. Instead, my new plan is seemingly going to be keep the PS2 anyway just in case, and just straight up get a PS4 and use PS Now to buy the PS3 games I wanted as well as for the sake of my still extensive PS1/2 collection. I'll wait and see what happens, but in any case this is excellent news, and it gives me hope that Sony have realised that giving the consumer what they want isn't always a bad thing, and can be pretty beneficial to the consumer and to the company. This doesn't hurt anyone, and is just a massive PR boost to a company already winning the current gen console war... Kudos, Sony. Kudos to you guys :)

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here