Facebook May Rebrand Oculus Rift, Import Interface - Update

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Facebook May Rebrand Oculus Rift, Import Interface - Update

An unnamed person involved in the Facebook and Oculus deal states the social media giant is planning to re-brand the VR hardware with the Facebook interface and logo.

Update: A Facebook rep has told TechCrunch the rumor is "not true and not in the spirit of our relationship [with Oculus]." Facebook also says it will allow Oculus to operate independently, similar to how it runs its other acquisitions, Instagram and WhatsApp.

We'll keep you posted once more news becomes available.

Source: TechCrunch

Original Story:

Earlier today, Facebook shocked the technological world when it announced its acquisition of Oculus VR -- makers of the Oculus Rift virtual reality headset -- for an astounding $2 billion. While it's been reported that nothing will change for Oculus and its upcoming device, that might not be the case for long. In a report by the New York Times, it states that "According to a person involved in the deal who was not allowed to speak publicly because he was not authorized by either company, Facebook eventually plans to redesign the Oculus hardware and rebrand it with a Facebook interface and logo."

Aside from that, no other info has been shared. Could this and other unannounced details be one of the major reasons why Markus "Notch" Persson cancelled Mojang's planned Oculus version for Minecraft? We can't say for sure. Keep in mind that this is just a rumor for now, so nothing's set in stone. Of course, seeing how much Facebook is shelling out for the tech, it is kind of understandable if they want some of its branding on the device to some degree. But a Facebook interface, though? I'm no VR expert, but if this comes true, I can see how it might rub some people the wrong way.

Would integrating a Facebook interface or logo be enough for you to not purchase an Oculus Rift once consumer models are made available to the public?

Source: New York Times via Superannuation

After reading most of the last thread, and getting insights on both sides of this acquisition, I'm surprised how many people flat out dislike Facebook.
I wonder why that is it be honest.
As for Rift, I don't mind the branding, it is Facebook's product after all . I'll just have to wait and see what Facebook does with the tech before I decide it is worth my money or not. I'm very happy I wasn't a backer.

Nope. If this happens any chance I had of buying an Occulus Rift just went away, branding I can deal with but a Facebook interface, Nope.

Its like we cant have nice things.

All in all since this is by an "unnamed person" I somewhat doubt they will make a Facebook interface, how would that even really work with a screen in your face that isnt all that great for text? The logo I can believe though.

Also, relevant

If this is remotely accurate I think that'd be a deal breaker for a lot of people.

As a general rule, I remain skeptical of news articles about anonymous sources stating things.

This is no exception.

Story:
After reading most of the last thread, and getting insights on both sides of this acquisition, I'm surprised how many people flat out dislike Facebook.
As for Rift, I don't mind the branding, it is Facebook's product after all . I'll just have to wait and see what Facebook does with the tech before I decide it is worth my money or not. I'm very happy I wasn't a backer.

Some of us just aren't that social to begin with, and never got into the whole Facebook wave of social media in the first place. Some of us hung back a bit, and got really skeezed out by some of Facebook's business practices, particularly as they touched on the gaming industry and the monetization of customers, the furthering of treating the people one ostensibly serves as one's product. With Zynga, Facebook helped foster and popularize a lot of the anti-consumer practices currently bouncing around the gaming industry.

That in mind, seeing them take such an overwhelming interest in the Oculus does not fill one with confidence that the tool will be used in any way other than to ruin good ideas with bad practices.

I refuse to buy this device if it has a small 'f' within a box on the side. End of story.

I don't mind a logo... but Facebook interface? What the fuck does that mean?

Like I'm always on goddamn Facebook while I'm playing a fucking game or something? The goddamn facebook toolbar hanging over everything I do?

Nah, fuck this shit.

Next thing we'll read about is a mandatory Facebook account to use that thing...

While the Oculus team certainly doesn't have to worry about how to pay the rent anymore, the project itself has taken quite a blow. Facebook's involvment alone is a major turn off, but them meddling with both hard- and software pretty much ruins it. They probably shift the priorities from gaming to social media as well.

It's also unfair towards the backers of the project. I guess if anyone would have known Zuckerberg takes it over even before the first units hit the stores, the project wouldn't have gotten nearly as much funding.

Ahahahahaha! I'm in stitches.

I'm so glad I didn't help fund Oculus Rift via Kickstarter, because if I had, that knife between my shoulder blades would be making it hard to sit comfortably right now.

Good thing Sony just unveiled their own VR product.

Facebook is already an intrusive load of ass, as if I want it strapped to my head like some kind of goddamn techno-facehugger.

Facebook interface... ugh. Or are they thinking Steam overlay, just Facebook? Somehow that sounds even worse.
Imagine if your Steam friends used it like they do Facebook and everything they write gets a popup right into your game (and brain). Same for game invites etc.

Genocidicles:

Like I'm always on goddamn Facebook while I'm playing a fucking game or something? The goddamn facebook toolbar hanging over everything I do?

Nah, fuck this shit.

Coming from someone who said that Facebook was a welcomed change and EA is shit blah blah blah....

It was only a matter of time when a gimmcky project was attracted by a gimmcky company adding more gimmcky features. Somehow I think there should be another phrase for peuso-technological innovations.

Honestly Facebook owning Oculus is a deal breaker for me alone. If this is actually the case though I'm staying as far away from that thing as I possibly can. Fuck Facebook.

EDIT: The only way I'm going to buy one of those headsets at this point would be if Facebook 100% does nothing to the device at all. Which they probably won't do so no VR for me!

You know what? I'm calling bullshit on this one. It's almost April 1st and this smacks of a April Fool's prank. It's just building up I tell you.

The only good that can come from this is if they shape the device like a book, so that it can be a literal face book.

But even then the giggles would die pretty quickly when it requires me to poke ten friends to keep the resolution above 1080p.

Truly, the future looks wonderful. I can't wait for uncloseable clickbait in 3D, right before my very eyes....

at first i was skeptical and now you have me running for the freaking hills.
oatmeal called it

And it begins.

I'm 99% sure the Rift at some point will require you to log into a Facebook account. Though not just that, you will most likely be required to install a Facebook program on your computer to even use the Rift. Who knows what the implications of that will be.

In the worst case scenario there will be a Facebook toolbar, or a floating button whenever you are using the Rift.

Though hopefully, somebody will release a crack that strips those things away from the screen.

It makes no logical sense that Facebook would willfully destroy what everyone was anticipating in the Rift, but I can't help but be afraid. Very afraid. If this locks down the Rift in any way, shape, or form to the Facebook ecosystem, that's a horrible thing and that alone I think justifies my fear. It could happen, but I don't honestly think the Oculus VR team will let it happen.

I mean, Palmer alone is so passionate about bringing the best VR experience to as many people as possible that I just can't see him going for a deal that will wipe out a large chunk of its appeal. I suspect things will work out all right in the end.

But I'm still very afraid.

So... does anyone know what happened to the VR headset Valve was developing?

I'm starting to wonder if this is an extremely elaborate april fool's..

If i were in the occulus team, i'd cash in my share of the FB loot and then abandon ship right over to sony. Sony, now, sony is not known for its pro consumer practises or general frriendlieness, but its at least a company that has contend providers, experienced hardware manufacturers and an established audience.

I would not be surpsised if both both MS and sony would make efforts to block content from reachign the rift, certainly they would try to keep their ip's away. EA, activision and ubisoft likewise have no real gain in having a new kid on the block with a successful facebook...

Story:

people tend to devote a lot of energy into things they don't particularly like or intend to use

however

I don't know much about facebook's business practices and what it does with peoples info but I've heard its not exactly all that good that is in of itself worthy of criticism, that and I just can;t see anything particularly good coming out of this acquisition, given social medias annoying habit of getting in the way of games

Facebook for what it is is more or less fine, its good for keeping in touch with people even if in a passive way

I'm still confused as to why Facebook would buy the Rift in the first place. Google, maybe, they're always doing stuff like that. But Facebook I always saw as solely a social media thing, and the Oculus Rift seems a lot more like a niche gaming device/simulator.
Then again, the PS4 controller has a 'share' button, so maybe social media means more than I thought it did.

I used to just dislike Facebook, keep away from it, but I still understood why people might like it.

This...just pisses me off.

I hate how social media has to invade goddamn everything.

I hate how one of the few things that would allow for true immersion and escapism will now crowbar in social media features that no one asked for.

Honestly, fuck this.

*goes back to hermit cave*

SourMilk:

Genocidicles:

Nah, fuck this shit.

Coming from someone who said that Facebook was a welcomed change and EA is shit blah blah blah....

It was only a matter of time when a gimmcky project was attracted by a gimmicky company adding more gimmcky features. Somehow I think there should be another phrase for peuso-technological innovations.

Honestly, this didn't seem gimmicky. When the simple act of putting a game in windowed mode is less immersive then simply putting black bars around the game, the Oculus rift seemed like a legit amazing idea. Good old Sony, saving the day with their version. Hope it don't suck :(

This timing is way too tight and too much exactly what everyone on the internet was yelling about. I will believe it when we can put a name to the source.

I could imagine a logo...maybe but if you go look at Instagram and WhatsApp right now you can hardly argue that Facebook smeared it's branding everywhere. I don't believe the interface will be a Facebook interface. It's hard to understand what that even means.

Daaaah Whoosh:
I'm still confused as to why Facebook would buy the Rift in the first place. Google, maybe, they're always doing stuff like that. But Facebook I always saw as solely a social media thing, and the Oculus Rift seems a lot more like a niche gaming device/simulator.
Then again, the PS4 controller has a 'share' button, so maybe social media means more than I thought it did.

Facebook currently own their section of the world, but they very nearly lost it with the mobile revolution. I think they believe that VR could ultimately once again change the way we interact with each other, instead of Skyping, how much better would it be if it looked like the person was actually in the room with you? If it's a rainy day you could call up some friends and ask if they want to VR around the moon for a bit.

There's already signs that this could be incredible. According to arstechnica one of the games allows you to turn around and 'see' the person playing with you and that was a lot of fun.

So Facebook want to get in on that technology before it even exists. This is their chance to get in on the new paradigm just after they finished with the old one. The mistake everyone is making is thinking that Facebook want to take VR and make it like Facebook. It's not that, they think VR is the new think that will make Facebook irrelevant and they want to be part of that too. And worst comes to worst? It will probably be a successful games platform that makes most of their money back

smithy_2045:
As a general rule, I remain skeptical of news articles about anonymous sources stating things.

This is no exception.

How about these:

https://www.facebook.com/zuck/posts/10101319050523971

mark zuckerberg:
But this is just the start. After games, we're going to make Oculus a platform for many other experiences. Imagine enjoying a court side seat at a game, studying in a classroom of students and teachers all over the world or consulting with a doctor face-to-face -- just by putting on goggles in your home.

I'm excited about facebook secretly dropping in on my medical advice

http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/21cy9n/the_future_of_vr/

palmer lucky:

In the end, I kept coming back to a question we always ask ourselves every day at Oculus: what's best for the future of virtual reality? Partnering with Mark and the Facebook team is a unique and powerful opportunity. The partnership accelerates our vision, allows us to execute on some of our most creative ideas and take risks that were otherwise impossible. Most importantly, it means a better Oculus Rift with fewer compromises even faster than we anticipated.

Fewer compromises? This just made compromises inherent to the design.

This whole thing gave me black mirror flashbacks.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2089049/

RESUME VIEWING. RESUME VIEWING.

I was really interested in this, but now.....wow. Facebook is very annoying and dont have alot of trust with the users who are not totaly braindead and need to be logged into that shit every second they can. I dont know why they gotta get their dick all over this for. It bugs the fuck outta me that everysmart phone comes with facebook pre fuckin loaded.
Feel so sorry for the poeple who helped for the kick starter would really feel bitter apart basicly helpin out facebook.

Chaosritter:
Next thing we'll read about is a mandatory Facebook account to use that thing...

Annnnnnd that's what I'm mostly concerned about. I have no Facebook account and have absolutely no desire to set one up. I was looking forward to this, and I don't know if I'd really care if it had a Facebook logo or interface, but I've got a very strong feeling that it is indeed going to require a Facebook account just to use it. As such (and if that's true) I guess I'll be sitting out for the VR craze the same way I've sat out for the social media craze.

I'm now hoping this thing flops like the Virtual Boy. :P

Single Shot:
So... does anyone know what happened to the VR headset Valve was developing?

As far as I remember the people in Valve who were developing it left to work on it seperately, so they don't have their own project in the works any more. Although someone told me there was some kind of VR demo at the Steam Dev Days thing but I don't know if that was a Valve project or something from someone else.

I think what people object to is Facebook's culture, business practices and sheer ubiquity. Facebook is fundamentally against the idea of personal privacy, Zuckerberg has even gone so far as to say so. That is their ethos; in exchange for their services they have the right too... everything. They can store, sell and analyze anything they see fit. That covers private messages, locational data and everything you ever post to the site. Facebook has a personally identifiable file on you with your that they are willing to sell to any advertizes or allow governments back doors into.

There is also the issue of how they use this information; to dehumanize you. They include the maximum amount of advertisements based on your information as they can. They take your personal information and use it to make them tons of money by flooding you with advertisements. The sheer amount of them in insulting and their culture towards pushing content on your personal wall turns your interactions with your 'friends' into a false corporate-guided mockery.

Facebook believes it has the unlimited right to everything you have ever thought and will store that for an unlimited period.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here