Senator Leland Yee Arrested On Corruption Charges

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Senator Leland Yee Arrested On Corruption Charges

Leland Yee

Leland Yee, the Senator behind California's failed anti-video game law, has been arrested by the FBI and indicted on charges of public corruption.

California Senator Leland Yee has long been a crusader against violence in video games, and was a driving force behind the state law banning the sale of M-rated video games to minors that was ultimately overturned by the Supreme Court of the United States. But now he's headed for a different kind of court, as he's been indicted on charges of public corruption by the FBI.

KGO-TV in San Francisco reported that the FBI executed a series of search warrants this morning in a "widespread sweep involving suspected gang members." Yee was taken into San Francisco's Federal Building in handcuffs, according to KCRA.com, and a raid was conducted on his office; FBI agents removed computers and documents while California Highway Patrol officers remained stationed outside.

Corruption among public officials isn't something that normally falls on our radar but Yee is an exception thanks to his dogged crusade against violence in video games. In response to the SCOTUS decision to strike down the California video game law, Yee said, "Wal-Mart and the videogame industry will continue to make billions of dollars at the expense of our kids' mental health and the safety of our community" and added that the court had "put the interests of corporate America before the interests of our children."

Details of the charges against Yee haven't been revealed, but he's scheduled to be arraigned at 1:30 pm PDT (4:30 pm EDT). We'll update as more information becomes available.

Sources: SF Weekly, NBC Bay Area

Oh how interesting. Deliciously interesting. I love and hate being proven right that politicians are for the most part corrupt scheming jackasses who believe word zero of anything they say and use language only to their own advantage.

I have no words for how funny this is. Turns out the real threat to any health of any sort was the guy bitching about videogames hah.

See, video games have been linked to corruption and bribery. Wheres fox when you need them. lol

good, now all they have to do is capture his partner Mr Yutani and the future is secure...

...wait...

he's been indicted

OT: This tickled me to no end. Good to see the guy full of shit getting his just desserts.

SonOfVoorhees:
See, video games have been linked to corruption and bribery. Wheres fox when you need them. lol

Well he's a democrat so fox will be here for certain. Also I'm sure they will some how link this to Obama and get a mention of Benghazi and/or the IRS "scandal" as well.

But this guy is a state senator so he isn't that big of a deal one way or the other. There is bribery and corruption at every level of the government regardless of the political party the only difference between the local state and federal levels is the guys at the federal level have many more legal ways to be bribed and corrupted. If they do mess up they are far more shielded from the consequences as well.

As for his "Hate" on video games I doubt it is real, it's just a hot button social issue that polled well in his district and so he used it to keep his numbers up and or when he went to get reelected. Morals and values are the first thing that goes for politicians, you do what polls best and or gets you the most funding and damn the rest.

But think of the children!......the children that go into foster homes thanks to their parents being killed (and/or drug addicted) by these mob figures that this guy is taking corrupt money from. Think of all the laws that have been swept under the rug because they would have interrupted the criminal activities of his money-buddies. Please, please, think of....how funny this is!

Huh, how 'bout it, a politician who uses a lame platform of "anti-game violence" to grab voters' attention arrested on corruption charges. Seriously, he doesn't give a fuck if your games are violent or not, he just found a hate-train that old people will vote on. A liar is a liar, and this one has been caught.

You know what would be more hilarious? If he was caught taking bribes for pushing the anti-game violence agenda. Wait, that's totally legal in the States. Never mind.

Andy Chalk:

KGO-TV in San Francisco reported that the FBI executed a series of search warrants this morning in a "widespread sweep involving suspected gang members."

Can someone elaborate more on that? Was he involved in gang-related crimes?

Maybe he could be the next GTA protagonist.

He'll never get locked up, he has the best lawyer in all the lands to defend him. Jack Thompson!

I bet his defense is going to be "My research led me to play GTAV for one hour, and I suddenly felt an inexplicable desire to jump in cahoots with some gangs. Blame the games!"

Leland Yee also tried to ban all magazine-fed rifles under the Assault Weapons Ban, by claiming that the literal text of the law was a "loophole", after getting sick of everyone pointing out that the current ban only affects cosmetic and ergonomic features.

He also tried to claim that California's ban on Shark Finning was an attack on Chinese culture.

I'm not sad at all to see him leave office.

Interesting. Would be interesting to know more details as to the nature of his arrest.

Also confused about all this "man this guy tried to make a policy against games so good thing he gets to go to jail"

There's pretty much zero correlation here :P Even less so considering I doubt his crime has anything to do with games. (And if it does then this could be easily disregarded)

Almost every Senator, Congressman and elected official in the US is corrupt. That's how the good US of A works nowadays. This one was just dumb enough to get caught.

I can't stop laughing about this. As a Califonian, this just made my week. I would have been happy with any politician being caught for corruption, but it's so much better that its this guy.

I'm not surprised. I firmly believe that the human mind has a subconscious desire to establish "equilibrium" to perceived personal defects. People who openly talk about sex a lot are usually those who are lacking sexuality in their lives. Same thing applies to money, popularity, etc. Therefore the biggest moralizers are often people that are hiding a few skeletons in their closet.

RA92:

Andy Chalk:

KGO-TV in San Francisco reported that the FBI executed a series of search warrants this morning in a "widespread sweep involving suspected gang members."

Well if you read more than the first two paragraphs, or at least skimmed them, you'd have seen that the article says that details of the arrest (ie: what he did) haven't been released yet.

RA92:

Andy Chalk:

one favorite thing that happens is gangs will "pay rent" to do their activities.

it's usually a large sum per month/year so athorities will ease off or look the other way for certain things.

but the closest a Politician would come to being in GTA would be an satirical figure who uses the protagonist for certain things.

something like that FIB/IAA guy in GTA V that tells Franklin to kill Michale [or Trevor, been a while since I played it]

WhiteTigerShiro:

RA92:

Andy Chalk:

Well if you read more than the first two paragraphs, or at least skimmed them, you'd have seen that the article says that details of the arrest (ie: what he did) haven't been released yet.

Which is why I asked whether anybody can.

A politician is corrupt as fuck.

In other news, the sky is blue, Russia's cold during the winter, and the Ku Klux Klan doesn't get along with the Black Panthers.

Oh man, how the mighty have fallen. Do you think it hurt when he hit the ground? So, how long before he starts getting personal letters throwing everything back in his face about the safety of the children and whatnot?

Please do keep us posted on this, escapist. I want to watch this man squirm and burn.

Self-quoting:

UNHchabo:
Leland Yee also tried to ban all magazine-fed rifles under the Assault Weapons Ban, by claiming that the literal text of the law was a "loophole", after getting sick of everyone pointing out that the current ban only affects cosmetic and ergonomic features.

...and as it turns out, the charges are wire fraud, and conspiracy to deal firearms.

People are always so fascinated by the things they want to ban...

They also got the mayor of Charlotte, North Carolina. Just 30 minutes south of here, no sympathy at all for these corrupt assholes. Nice to see the government doing something good for once.

UNHchabo:
Self-quoting:

UNHchabo:

...and as it turns out, the charges are wire fraud, and conspiracy to deal firearms.

People are always so fascinated by the things they want to ban...

You know, I was just about to quote you about what you said earlier. I was literally going to state that he's even worse than I thought. Regardless of how you feel about guns, you have to admit trying to use a loophole in a law to ban something that the law wasn't intended to ban is pretty BS. And trying to equate what is likely intended to discourage hunting whales and sharks to an attack on Chinese culture is pretty low.

But now to know that he was apparently trying to deal firearms, after the Video Game ban and the attempt to ban gun sales just paints him in the absolute worst light and only proves that politicians are, or at least this one is, as bad as people say. So he's actually even worse than I had thought! That's just some amazing degrees of hypocrisy, there. He may just be up for the coveted "Biggest Hypocrite of the Year" award.

I admit, I lol'd evilly.

I've always said that the louder that one preaches at people, the more they've got to hide.

y'know, I never did quite understand the rigorous fight you Americans had against criminalising the sale of M rated games to minors.
In the UK it's just an accepted thing that BFCC ratings are legally binding for the retailer to abide by - i.e. an 18 rated game cannot knowingly be sold directly to an under 18 year old, it is literally illegal. Indeed the UK is very proactive on this with all age-restricted products, from video games to booze, most companies have a policy of "if you look under 25, we will ID you", because it keeps them safe from major prosecution if they stick to it.

Senators can be arrested for corruption? Damn, that's news to me.
I'd wager a lot more of them should be in jail.

Public corruption as opposed to private corruption? Is that like racketeering as opposed to tax evasion?

You'd think everyone would want their corruption to be private.

I've completely missed the point haven't I....

RA92:

WhiteTigerShiro:

RA92:

Which is why I asked whether anybody can.

About as many people can tell you about what he did as can tell you about Fallout 4. Nobody. Because the information hasn't been released yet.

While I know this is probably going to be controversial as hell and will also probably get me in trouble with the moderators, it just has to be mentioned. Perhaps I'm the only one, but has anyone else noticed that when a democrat says something stupid, does something illegal, or pushes some sort of anti-games agenda, their party affiliation is never mentioned? When a republican does the same, The Escapist always makes sure to slap that 'R' next to their name. But the guy who's so far to the left, he makes Engles look like a conservative? Nope! He's just some 'random anti-games politician.' Just thought I'd add in my two cents.

Ahahahahahahahah. Just desserts. Also, the guy is just a general asshole even without his crusade against video games.

Ferisar:
Interesting. Would be interesting to know more details as to the nature of his arrest.

Also confused about all this "man this guy tried to make a policy against games so good thing he gets to go to jail"

There's pretty much zero correlation here :P Even less so considering I doubt his crime has anything to do with games. (And if it does then this could be easily disregarded)

there's no direct correlation, however he tried fucking with something we love, lied about it, rallied against it, and demonized it. now he gets to go to jail, where he can rally against having a new lover named "Tank" with equally futile results.

LysanderNemoinis:
While I know this is probably going to be controversial as hell and will also probably get me in trouble with the moderators, it just has to be mentioned. Perhaps I'm the only one, but has anyone else noticed that when a democrat says something stupid, does something illegal, or pushes some sort of anti-games agenda, their party affiliation is never mentioned? When a republican does the same, The Escapist always makes sure to slap that 'R' next to their name. But the guy who's so far to the left, he makes Engles look like a conservative? Nope! He's just some 'random anti-games politician.' Just thought I'd add in my two cents.

Where in the article did it say that he was a republican? Did I miss something?

grey_space:

LysanderNemoinis:

Where in the article did it say that he was a republican? Did I miss something?

It doesn't. Yee is an extremely left-wing democrat, but the article never once mentions what party he belongs to. But when a republican does something illegal or anti-game or just plain stupid, The Escapist always makes sure to mention said politician is a republican. I'll leave the conclusion to this little thought experiment to you and all other readers of The Escapist.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here