Majora's Mask Speed Runner Beats Game in an Hour and Half

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Majora's Mask Speed Runner Beats Game in an Hour and Half

Speed runner EnNopp112 has been repeatedly breaking his own Majora's Mask records since the beginning of 2014.

Editor's Note: The original version of this article mistakenly claimed the speed run in question didn't exploit glitches. To clarify, glitches were used. Our apologies for any confusion caused as a result.

Last week, we reported on speed runner Cosmo Wright and his record breaking Ocarina of Time run which saw him beating the game in less than 19 minutes. Ocarina of Time, of course, wasn't the only Zelda game to grace to call the N64 home. The console also played host to The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask which, much like its predecessor, has speed runners of its own.

Most notable among these, at the moment at least, would be EnNopp112. A native of Sweden, he's recently made a hobby of dominating Majora's Mask, running through the game and beating his own record once every few weeks since the beginning of 2014. His most recent run, for instance, saw him completing the game in 1 hour, 28 minutes and 51 seconds.

The kicker is that his efforts involve no cheats. Granted, he doesn't collect all of the game's masks (doing that took him 5 and a half hours) but, even then, it's a pretty danged impressive feat. Just personally, Majora's Mask took me months to finish. The very idea of someone sitting down and finishing it less than a day even flat out boggles my mind. Take a gander at EnNopp112's latest speed run video and let us know your impressions.

Source: Kotaku

StewShearer:

The kicker is that his efforts involve no cheats or glitches. Granted, he doesn't collect all of the game's masks (doing that took him 5 and a half hours) but, even then, it's a pretty danged impressive feat.

I've not played Majora's Mask, so even though he's not using cheats or glitches, does skipping masks still qualify it as a legitimate completion?

Neta:

StewShearer:

The kicker is that his efforts involve no cheats or glitches. Granted, he doesn't collect all of the game's masks (doing that took him 5 and a half hours) but, even then, it's a pretty danged impressive feat.

I've not played Majora's Mask, so even though he's not using cheats or glitches, does skipping masks still qualify it as a legitimate completion?

There are different categories. I.e. A 100 percent completion run would mean he collected everything in the game.

Neta:

You only need 4 masks to beat the final boss, and those are obtained by the bosses of the dungeons. Literally all the other masks are done via side quests to get pieces of hearts, and some of them don't even do anything really. In the end you give all your masks to kids wearing the boss masks around the tree to obtain the final mask of the game, the Fierce Deity, which is broken as hell.

OT: Well I'm impressed at it, but seeing as how the other thread went I expect some people to come and rain on the party. :P

So a dude beats an old game really fast, how is that so significant it warrants a news post?

Neronium:

Neta:

You only need 4 masks to beat the final boss, and those are obtained by the bosses of the dungeons. Literally all the other masks are done via side quests to get pieces of hearts, and some of them don't even do anything really. In the end you give all your masks to kids wearing the boss masks around the tree to obtain the final mask of the game, the Fierce Deity, which is broken as hell.

Ah right. Well in that case, cool.

Well done and congratulations for being an awesome speed gamer.

I used to be a massive Zelda fanboy but I was burned after playing Ocarina of Time and completely lost interest in the entire franchise. It was a bitter betrayal.

Neta:

I used to be a massive Zelda fanboy but I was burned after playing Ocarina of Time and completely lost interest in the entire franchise. It was a bitter betrayal.

Yeah Majora's Mask is very side quest heavy, and I think that's why I love it. It has only 4 dungeons total in the game, leaving you with 7 Hearts by the final dungeon. All the rest of the heart pieces are obtained via sidequests throughout the game. Thing about it is that in order to get every mask you'll have to reset time constantly because there are time-specific quests (think Lighting Returns, only better implemented), and as a result you'll have to do the Anju and Kafei sidequest at least 4 times, and that sidequest takes all 3 days to complete.

Congrats to that speed runner. I wish I had seen that earlier, I just finished a let's play of Majora's Mask about five days ago, it was in 56 30 minute parts!

Man, I really want to play Majora's Mask. I'm really holding out for an HD remake a-la the Wind Waker for the WiiU or Ocarina of Time for the 3DS.

RealRT:
So a dude beats an old game really fast, how is that so significant it warrants a news post?

My exact thoughts upon reading the title.

To anyone even remotely connected to the online speedrunning community this doesn't even register.

StewShearer:

The kicker is that his efforts involve no cheats or glitches.

I'm curious as to where you got this information from? Granted the Kotaku article says he isn't using cheats...he most definitely is using glitches. I only watched 20 minutes of it and saw him use a bomb glitch to send Link sliding backwards across the world, a bomb glitch to send him through walls and out of the map, and a bomb glitch to make a jump. Also saw a few other instances where he would use an item and then rapidly try and hit start to swap it out with another item before it's use ended, which did produce some abnormal results.

Majoras Mask HD on Wii U...

Just do it already!

RealRT:

Because the speedrun is longer then Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes

josemlopes:

RealRT:

Because the speedrun is longer then Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes

A game of yahtzee is longer than MGS: Ground Zeroes.

StewShearer:

Sorry but while he does not use cheats, he does use glitches. Practically all any% runs require the use of glitches at least every so often.

Any% is definitely my favourite speed run category. While it is frequently under-appreciated or just plain dismissed by many, I have gained great respect for runners in this category.
Using Cosmo Wright as an example, his recent Ocarina of Time any% world records have required days of practice. Quite often he will stream his practice runs on Twitch and can spend upwards of 5 hours straight repeating the same glitch or strategy over and over again to figure out the most optimal way to execute it.
This is often done to save as little as a couple of frames let alone a second or two. But in the end all of these small changes add up.

Congratulations to EnNopp112 on his WR :)

It's runs like this that impress me.

Logan9993:
Sorry but while he does not use cheats, he does use glitches. Practically all any% runs require the use of glitches at least every so often.

What glitches did he use?

I've occasionally watched his streams, good stuff. I also like watching Cosmo endlessly practice/do runs in Ocarina of Time. You've got to admire their dedication.

As some have already pointed out, he does uses glitches (unlike the article said). I'm pretty sure runs using cheats aren't accepted (at least in any normal category), but using glitches is pretty normal and executing them often requires a great deal of skill too.

008Zulu:
It's runs like this that impress me.

Logan9993:

What glitches did he use?

I saw him at least use a bomb to repeatedly jump in the air (around 23:30) and to perform a HESS (hyper extended/endless super slide) at 29:58. Also he apparently goes out of bounds every now and then. Not sure if you aren't familiar with the glitches, or if you just wanted to know the particular ones, sorry :(

Congrats to him. Seconding that he does still use glitches, it's just that there isn't any huge wrong warp that can send him through the game extremely fast like OoT.

CriticKitten:

StewShearer:
Last week, we reported on speed runner Cosmo Wright and his record breaking Ocarina of Time run which saw him beating the game in less than 19 minutes.

*twitch*

No, he didn't, but I'm not starting that argument AGAIN. It's your site's fault that argument even got started in the first place, because your writers can't tell the difference between a full run of a game and a heavily-glitched-through speedrun of 5-10% of the game. But rather than restart that, here, AGAIN, I'm just going to tell you to stop mislabeling his achievement as a full game completion when it's obviously NOT one. Most of us, at least, could agree on the grossly misleading title of the last article. Hopefully this one isn't similarly as inaccurate for click-bait's sake.

I didn't find the title too misleading myself, maybe it's a matter of definition. Some would probably think "beating" a game means you play through it the way the developers intended, while others might argue it just means getting to the finish line. I'd personally lean towards the latter definition, because I wouldn't know where to draw the line otherwise - you could beat the game "properly" and miss one heart container for example.

Not sure if that is what you meant though, but didn't the article you linked specifically say that the Cosmo's run wasn't a full completion and uses glitches?

(If the article's been modified later on, then never mind. Also, there are always people spreading misinformation either knowingly or not, I understand if you've gotten tired of discussing this topic).

And he didn't actually skip any primary elements of the game? And no glitching/exploiting?

Then yes, this is a fair and legitimate run of the game, and he merits props for that.

Logan9993:

Oh? Which ones did he use in this run?

He used for example a bomb to jump in the air repeatedly, a HESS (hyper extended superslide, let's you go real fast) and out of bounds -glitches. I'm pretty sure he missed some "essential" stuff in the game, but then again, he categorized his run "any%", so he or Cosmo aren't at least themselves claiming to beat the game fully.

No cheating? Really? At 1 hour and 14 minutes (Youtube time) he beats the miniboss that gives you the light arrows and then he blows himself up with a bomb and respawns at the start of the dungeon - skipping a lot of walking. Probably like a whole minute. Dying is supposed to be something you avoid, not something you do on purpose because it's "Within the rules of speedrunning"

Earlier in the run too there's a maze in a forest where you have to follow a monkey to a sick witch. He doesn't even follow the monkey, guys, he just has the whole maze memorized. This is so obviously an abuse of the fact that the developers forgot to make it impossible to finish the maze without waiting for the monkey to go ahead of you.

I'm with CriticKitten here that's clearly cheating. If the developers wanted you dying on purpose all over the place and memorizing puzzles they would have included it in the tutorial. Why are we praising a cheater?

Trotgar:

And he didn't actually skip any primary elements of the game? And no glitching/exploiting?

Then yes, this is a fair and legitimate run of the game, and he merits props for that.

Logan9993:

Oh? Which ones did he use in this run?

He used for example a bomb to jump in the air repeatedly, a HESS (hyper extended superslide, let's you go real fast) and out of bounds -glitches. I'm pretty sure he missed some "essential" stuff in the game, but then again, he categorized his run "any%", so he or Cosmo aren't at least themselves claiming to beat the game fully.

Yeah multiple HESS's, Bomb Jumps and Out of Bounds (OoB) glitches. I noticed the Infinite Sword Glitch (ISG) get used a few times as well (mostly as part of the Bomb Jump Glitch). I don't follow MM speed runs that much and I admit I haven't watched every second of this run but from what I saw in multiple occasions he uses a combination of the bomb jump and either OoB or HESS glitches to bypass entire sections. A couple of examples being:
Great Bay Temple - @ 51:23 Drops out of bounds in the entrance room and uses a HESS to push himself into position to 'fall' into the boss room.
To End Game(?) - @ 1:20:30 Uses the Bomb Jump glitch to access the top of the Clock Tower on the First Day. Normally only accessible on the night of the Third Day.

I noticed a couple of other random glitches being used as well but I don't fully understand what they do.

Also don't be surprised if he beats this run in the not too distant future. He made a few mistakes along the way and he had a bit of bad luck near the end trying to get bombs from grass. Only small things but would have added up into several seconds lost.

CriticKitten:

No, he didn't, but I'm not starting that argument AGAIN. It's your site's fault that argument even got started in the first place, because your writers can't tell the difference between a full run of a game and a heavily-glitched-through speedrun of 5-10% of the game. But rather than restart that, here, AGAIN, I'm just going to tell you to stop mislabeling his achievement as a full game completion when it's obviously NOT one. Most of us, at least, could agree on the grossly misleading title of the last article. Hopefully this one isn't similarly as inaccurate for click-bait's sake.

"I'm not starting that argument again, but here's why you're wrong, but I won't start that argument again!"

OT: Just learn the categories of speedrunning and be done with it. Your definition of completing the game doesn't matter to that community, nor should it. In any%, all that matters is the end-game screen / credits or its equivalent.

Trotgar:
I saw him at least use a bomb to repeatedly jump in the air (around 23:30) and to perform a HESS (hyper extended/endless super slide) at 29:58. Also he apparently goes out of bounds every now and then. Not sure if you aren't familiar with the glitches, or if you just wanted to know the particular ones, sorry :(

Both actually, I have never felt interested in the Zelda franchise and thus, never played one of the games. It does tarnish his effort though.

Rednog:

StewShearer:

I'm curious as to where you got this information from? Granted the Kotaku article says he isn't using cheats...he most definitely is using glitches. I only watched 20 minutes of it and saw him use a bomb glitch to send Link sliding backwards across the world, a bomb glitch to send him through walls and out of the map, and a bomb glitch to make a jump. Also saw a few other instances where he would use an item and then rapidly try and hit start to swap it out with another item before it's use ended, which did produce some abnormal results.

I must have come away with the wrong impression for what "no cheats" meant after reading the Kotaku piece. That is absolutely my fault and I've updated the article to reflect this. My apologies for the inaccuracy and any annoyance it may have caused you and other readers. My goal is, of course, to present information as it happened and I'm not happy that I fumbled the ball here.

Neta:

Neronium:

Neta:

snip

snip

Not wanting to derail the thread, but can you share this tragic tale of spurned love?

I would also like to hear this tale of spurned love.

I think Cosmo's OOT was more impressive in terms of video, and it was just cool to see kid link go from the Deku tree to Ganon's castle and beat up Ganon with a Deku stick. Also when he and Zelda look at each other, kid Link is totally staring at her boobs.

I wouldn't say "beat" or "completed" for this kind of speed run, I'm not a completionist (like achievements) but I think you need to actually play the story through to "beat" the game. I would have said that he "beat Ganon within 19 minutes" and obviously that he used exploits. Same for the Majora Mask video. Then it's clear he just beat the final boss.

All this reminds of is that Nintendo still refuses to clarify whether they really are working on Majora's Mask HD or not.

I mean, come on guys, at least put the original game on the Nintendo Store.

Brian Tams:
All this reminds of is that Nintendo still refuses to clarify whether they really are working on Majora's Mask HD or not.

It is on the Virtual Console though, but not the eShop. I have the version on my Wii U currently. I agree though it'd be nice to not have to go to Wii mode to access it, and I still await the day in which I get to play an HD remake of my favorite 3D Zelda game of all time. >.>

They should put it on the 3DS too. I don't want to buy a Wii U, but I do have a 3DS! :D

Nata-chan:
I would also like to hear this tale of spurned love.

I think Cosmo's OOT was more impressive in terms of video, and it was just cool to see kid link go from the Deku tree to Ganon's castle and beat up Ganon with a Deku stick. Also when he and Zelda look at each other, kid Link is totally staring at her boobs.

I wouldn't say "beat" or "completed" for this kind of speed run, I'm not a completionist (like achievements) but I think you need to actually play the story through to "beat" the game. I would have said that he "beat Ganon within 19 minutes" and obviously that he used exploits. Same for the Majora Mask video. Then it's clear he just beat the final boss.

Did we watch the same video? He goes to all of the dungeons. There were some teleporting here and there, but he beat all of the dungeons and bosses. How isn't that "beat"?

Neronium:

Brian Tams:

It is on the Virtual Console though, but not the eShop. I have the version on my Wii U currently. I agree though it'd be nice to not have to go to Wii mode to access it, and I still await the day in which I get to play an HD remake of my favorite 3D Zelda game of all time. >.>

Do you need the Wii Mote to play it, or can I use the gamepad? Also, does it have offscreen play with the gamepad?

Brian Tams:

Neronium:

Brian Tams:

Do you need the Wii Mote to play it, or can I use the gamepad? Also, does it have offscreen play with the gamepad?

You need the Wii note and classic controller for some arbitrarily dumb reason. Wii games when doing off screen play I can understand, but for Virtual Console games it's dumb that you can't use the buttons on the GamePad. It's entirely possible to do it, but Nintendo hasn't patched it for some reason, which is why off screen play for VC games is really useless. :/

None of the Wii VC games have been altered with the GamePad in mind, so you're honestly better playing them on a regular Wii since they support GameCube controllers, and you'd need the Mayflash Adapter of you wanna use a GCN controller (I recommend it as it works extremely well)

CriticKitten:

StewShearer:
Last week, we reported on speed runner Cosmo Wright and his record breaking Ocarina of Time run which saw him beating the game in less than 19 minutes.

*twitch*

So what constitutes "beating" a game? 100%? 90%? Not purposefully dying?

What if you accidentally cause a glitch that causes progression? Did you really "beat" the game? Your suggestion of "beating" a game creates either such a ludicrous grey area as to what it really means or requires a ton of arbitrary definitions that would make both no sense and suck all of the fun out of speedrunning.

Also, as an aside, a lot of the glitches that are being exploited are FRAME perfect and are much harder and require more skill, timing, and practice to complete then ANYTHING in the vanilla game.

Apparently my first post was unclear. Allow me to explain:

When I said I was done discussing it, that didn't mean "I'll happily restart that multi-page argument with you here in this thread, because I love wasting my time repeating myself". It meant "if you try to argue with me about it again, I'll just ignore you and go about my business as if you never existed".

Have a splendid day! :)

Trotgar:
I didn't find the title too misleading myself, maybe it's a matter of definition. Some would probably think "beating" a game means you play through it the way the developers intended, while others might argue it just means getting to the finish line. I'd personally lean towards the latter definition, because I wouldn't know where to draw the line otherwise - you could beat the game "properly" and miss one heart container for example.

Not sure if that is what you meant though, but didn't the article you linked specifically say that the Cosmo's run wasn't a full completion and uses glitches?

(If the article's been modified later on, then never mind. Also, there are always people spreading misinformation either knowingly or not, I understand if you've gotten tired of discussing this topic).

As you can see here, even now, there's three more people trying to start it all over again. I've made my point of view clear on this subject, and we're never gonna agree, so there's no point in rehashing it all over again. >_>

It makes me respect speedrunning and its community less and less each time it happens, too. I didn't say that the speedrun is meaningless, I just said that I don't consider it "beating the game" in any traditional sense. Apparently, however, this is offensive to them in some way and they will shout down anyone who dares suggest as much....and I don't know why they find this opinion offensive, nor do I particularly care. I'm not obligated to accept their point of view any more than they have to accept mine. They have an ignore button if my opinion offends them so darn much, I just wish they'd use it and save us both the time.

But to explain: Yes, the article mentions (in one of the last paragraphs) that the run wasn't full completion and relied on glitches. The point of contention was that the article claimed he "beat the game", when "beating the game" by the standards used by a game's devs for almost any game on the market would generally mean "completed all primary story content without any form of cheating, glitching, or exploiting" (see: Titanfall's original excuse for not wanting to have a story mode at all). So it's traditionally accepted that "beating the game" is a term relegated more to a playthrough which completes all of the primary content. When I pointed this out, countless people took issue with it and argued with me for most of the thread's run length. I saw the same defenses and explanations rehashed enough times that I'm genuinely just sick of the discussion entirely, and don't really want to talk about it any more because it'll just lead to more of the exact same statements repeated ad infinitum. And repeating myself when I know my target audience didn't listen the first two or three times is a peeve of mine.

I only mentioned it in passing here (and already regret doing so) because that argument only got started in the first place because the writers at the Escapist used a definition of "beating the game" that is generally not shared by the core audience of gaming, or at the very least, is typically not a viewpoint that most blokes not directly invested into speedrunning would agree with. That doesn't mean their views are "wrong", they can have their own opinions too. They jut need to stop acting like theirs is the majority opinion (or like it's the common definition, when it's clearly not) simply because it's a majority here, in a relatively gaming-elitist forum community. >_>

He used for example a bomb to jump in the air repeatedly, a HESS (hyper extended superslide, let's you go real fast) and out of bounds -glitches. I'm pretty sure he missed some "essential" stuff in the game

That's a shame. Then it sorta falls into the same category as Cosmo's run for me at least. Maybe impressive in its own category, but not really a proper "beating" of the game. Though he does run more of the game's content than Cosmo, so that's still something.

but then again, he categorized his run "any%", so he or Cosmo aren't at least themselves claiming to beat the game fully.

Which is perhaps the most hilarious irony of all: they're not claiming to have "beat the game", but their defenders are all arguing that they did.

CriticKitten:
Apparently my first post was unclear. Allow me to explain:

When I said I was done discussing it, that didn't mean "I'll happily restart that multi-page argument with you here in this thread, because I love wasting my time repeating myself". It meant "if you try to argue with me about it again, I'll just ignore you and go about my business as if you never existed".

Have a splendid day! :)

I love how you say this, but then you go on to argue anyways. If you don't want to participate in the discussion, why not just, you know, not post? It's better then this smug passive-aggressive argument baiting.

CriticKitten:

That doesn't mean their views are "wrong", they can have their own opinions too. They jut need to stop acting like theirs is the majority opinion (or like it's the common definition, when it's clearly not) simply because it's a majority here, in a relatively gaming-elitist forum community. >_>

I dunno mate, if you ask people what "beating the game" is I'd imagine the most popular response would be either "beating the final boss" or "reaching the end credits". Either way it's irrelevant though, their runs are impressive because of the amount of planning, skill and practice it takes to execute. Not what arbitrary restraints on "beating the game" you might impose.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here