Leland Yee Affidavit Reveals a Stunning Array Of Charges

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Leland Yee Affidavit Reveals a Stunning Array Of Charges

Leland Yee

The whopping 137-page affidavit detailing the charges against Senator Leland Yee reveals accusations of gun-running, ties to Chinese gangs, cash-for-favors schemes and more.

California Senator Leland Yee, a vocal opponent of violent video games who sought to ban the sale of M-rated games to minors, was arrested yesterday by the FBI on charges of corruption. That's bad enough on its face, but the details of the charges are nothing short of astounding.

San Francisco Magazine broke down the huge 137-page affidavit into its most salient details, and it turns out that the senator was into some pretty crazy stuff. There's the usual bribe-taking nonsense that people generally assume most politicians are involved with to some extent, but then there's the Russian arms dealer, and the Philippine rebel groups, and his relationship with Raymond "Shrimp Boy" Chow, the Dragonhead of the Chee Kung Tong.

In exchanges with undercover FBI agents, Yee said he could arrange a deal for "shoulder-fired automatic weapons... equivalent to the M16," and that he would handle the arrangements personally. Political consultant Keith Jackson, Yee's fundraiser, told an agent that the senator could hook him up with an arms dealer in New Jersey in exchange for a campaign contribution, and also that Yee had another associate who was supplying "heavy weapons" to rebel groups in the Philippines. The people in question were later identified as actual arms dealers, one of whom sources his weapons from Russia.

The FBI apparently came into contact with Yee through his relationship with a Chinatown gang, presumably the Chee Kung Tong. In early 2013, Yee was introduced to an "undercover employee" of the FBI who wanted a proclamation acknowledging the Tong's 165th anniversary. Yee said he could do it but wanted to keep it on the down-low, expressing concerns that Chow would hold a press conference regarding the proclamation. "What we have to do on our side is be careful," he said. "You know, because, umm, this guy [Chow] told on his friends."

That statement, according to the affidavit, is in reference to a previous prosecution in which Chow cooperated with authorities in exchange for a reduced sentence. Yee later reiterated his concern, saying that he and Jackson shouldn't "get too close" to the Tong and clarifying that the proclamation would be "not to Shrimpboy [Chow}, but to the organization."

"He's still hot stuff," Yee said. "I just talked to some of the, you know, people who, you know, in the families, and, you know, he's still hot stuff. So we just gotta be careful, man." Nonetheless, the deal was made, the proclamation was delivered by a member of Yee's staff and the agent forked over a check for $5000.

Other agents eventually made contact with Yee and Jackson and began offering larger sums of money for more direct access to high-ranking politicians. He was offered up to $15,000 to make a call to another senator regarding pending medical marijuana legislation; when he was later asked why it was taking so long to get the wheels turning, he called it "pay-to-play" and then later offered perhaps the choicest quote in the whole document: "Just give me the goddamn money, man, shit... You should just tell them, write some fucking checks, man."

And thus we come to the inescapable and gloriously ironic conclusion: Senator Leland Yee is a Grand Theft Auto character. Who'da thunk it?

While Yee is innocent until proven guilty, his career as a legislator is likely over, as Senate Leader Darrell Steinberg gave him the option of either resigning or being booted out. "We're going to demand that Leland Yee... leave the Senate and leave it now," Steinberg said. If Yee refuses to go voluntarily, Steinberg said the Senate will suspend him during its next session.

Sources: San Francisco Magazine, Los Angeles Times

Maybe he was hoping that if he was enough of a scumbag then Rockstar would base a GTAV DLC character after him and he could sue them for a slice of their billion dollar pie?

Against video game violence, but for real world violence. That's quite the platform. This guy was in deep, and it sounds like a whole House of Cards story arc. Nice to know America votes for whoever has the most campaign money, no matter where the money comes from.

CriticalMiss:
Maybe he was hoping that if he was enough of a scumbag then Rockstar would base a GTAV DLC character after him and he could sue them for a slice of their billion dollar pie?

Now, I think Rockstar just got a ton of material for another GTA game.
I'd buy it just for the extraordinary poetic irony.

Oh wow, ordinarily I'd assume that a 'corrupt senator' who gets himself deep (or dumb) enough to have the FBI cart him home in cuffs would be quietly convicted and booted to retirement in his mansion, but at this point in time, in this political climate, if Yee gets convicted of buying and import/exporting illegal arms from 'The Russians' he's going to get nailed to the wall.

As they say, live in hope.

CriticalMiss:

I can see it now, GTA V: The adventures of Shrimpy and Lee Yo.

hands up if you think he's the only one...
ofc not eh ?
so lets talk percentages...

CriticalMiss:

Actually Rockstar should sue him for stealing all of their ideas. Heck, so should Warner Bros because this sounds like a plot straight out of a Lethal Weapon movie!

Looks like the Devs of "Call of Duty" have some new material to use in their next game. Perhaps now we can have America V.S. America in the next "C.o.D." that would be great!

I suppose he must have played too much GTA ...

rasputin0009:
Against video game violence, but for real world violence. That's quite the platform. This guy was in deep, and it sounds like a whole House of Cards story arc. Nice to know America votes for whoever has the most campaign money, no matter where the money comes from.

We don't have much of a choice. Any campaign above town council is pretty much funded either by corruption and bribery like Yee's or playing to the "Moral Guardians" who fart money at any politician that says "think of the kids" with no real care or evidence, also like Yee's situation. There's no one on the ballot that didn't somehow buy their way in, and write ins aren't gonna win a state-wide or national election.

Andy Chalk:

And thus we come to the inescapable and gloriously ironic conclusion: Senator Leland Yee is a Grand Theft Auto character. Who'da thunk it?

The sheer level of that burn has caused the fire department to be deployed to any place where someone read that out loud.

Quick! Someone mail him a copy of Grand Theft Auto with his face photoshopped--or just taped--on the cover.

haha, so i hate this guy for his videogame stance, but seriously, this guy is awesome from a criminal perspective.

i don't mind his criminal activity, i'm actually a big fan. i just mind his hypocrisy, like the Republican Senators fighting for "family values" while getting involved in all matter of gay and straight sex scandals.

it seems like the rule in Washington is this: "whatever you do that you are ashamed of, loudly protest against it."

In exchanges with undercover FBI agents, Yee said he could arrange a deal for "shoulder-fired automatic weapons... equivalent to the M16," and that he would handle the arrangements personally.

So, given his usual overblown rhetoric on guns, "equivalent to an M16" means he was going to get them a .22 rifle stolen from a summer camp? ;)

This is as, if not more, delicious than when that anti-gay Republican senator got caught soliciting gay sex in an airport bathroom.

Anyone else think this is poetic justice?

Lets hope the escapist covers his trial.

I like this. It's ammo for the right cause. Which is getting the money out of politics. It also set back anti-game legislators 100 years.

That's it! Next term I'm voting for Senator De Santa. Now THAT's a guy with strong moral values and a spotless criminal record.

Who wouldn't vote for this guy?!

Just so people know, a semi-history lesson of California. Since even long before California was a state, corruption has been a big part of its government. That's over a hundred years of corruption the state of California has had, some of it high and some of it low.

Also, if what the affidavit is true about the weapons Yee's been trafficking, the weapons are military grade weapons. And not just military, but Russian military grade weapons. That's pretty damn bad. Russian arms dealers, through Triad contacts, into the hands of Philippine rebels. Also like Reagan!

Ha! Take that, corrupt senator! I wish we caught these guys in their schemes much more often.

This... this is holywood comedy material...

No seriously... to quote Jon Tron "I wish i had the talent to come up with shit like this..."

No wonder he wanted to forbid games like GTA... he felt like they where making a game about HIM! XD

Well, if you're going down, you might as well burn in style. Nothing as boring as garden-variety vote rigging and corruption for this guy.

So all this anger was because he never received his royalties for inspiring GTA V's governor parody. I'd be pissed to.

Almost makes you yearn to get Arnold back in office.

You know, I expected to have a laugh when the guy got wheeled in yesterday.

But THIS?

This is pure Grade A gold.

Chinese mobsters with silly titles, Russian gun-runners and Filipino rebels?

It's too much to grasp, it's bordering on parody.

Here's hoping they hang him high.

This is the way Yee's career ends, not with a bang , but with a laundry list of felony charges and everyone laughing at his downward spiral into oblivion.

No, I mean it. I really laughed reading this. Hearing the level and variety of charges, the great quote, and even that nice burn, all just made me laugh. I think this is perfect and a great ending to this guy's career. If you're going to go out, go out with a bang!

Honestly, the allegations are insane. If you told me this was a fictional character from a game or comic, I would believe it. It reads like a Hollywood dream. Russian weapons, Chinese mobsters, and Philippine rebels. I'm calling it, now. This will be a movie.

But what will be the name?
Yee Only Live Once
Big Trouble in Yeettle China
Grand Theft Senator

Andy Chalk:

Perfect. Absolutely perfect. If Karma and Irony got together and had a baby, and that baby was a stand-up comedian, that would be this news story.

Rockstar, start taking notes here. I think you've got the idea for a character in the next GTA staring you in the face.

I'm not even gonna lie. This is an impressive amount of corruption. Like hot damn he deserves to be a video game character like everyone else is saying.

And this man nearly hindered the progress of an entire art form and medium?

What I find most ironically hilarious about this is that Yee was a die hard gun control advocate, and what does he get arrested for? Gun running.

I wonder if that was part of the racquet: first you ban the gun, and then you get in the business of selling it illegally. That's ingenious, this guy should get a "Wolf of Wall Street" type movie.

How the fuck can reality continually surpass fiction? I mean you can't find shit this perfect in fiction... where the only rule is to make up crazy shit. Most video game villains are 1 or 2 dimensional at best but this guy is like a rubik's cube. I would be unbelievably surprised if we didn't see a villain in the next GTA game with more than a few similarities.

In short...

Videogames are so morally corrupting that even people fighting for their banning become bad people.

I guess Senator Yee was right.

(pfft)

Maybe the real reason he's against video games is because he simply wants the kids to commit their crimes in the real world, like him?

He only did it for the POWAH.

Ihateregistering1:
I wonder if that was part of the racquet: first you ban the gun, and then you get in the business of selling it illegally. That's ingenious, this guy should get a "Wolf of Wall Street" type movie.

How about "Corrupter of California" as the movie title?
The video game tie-in is basically GTA VI with [more] meta DLC included...

OT: I knew all this would get nuts, but THIS?
HOLY SHIT!
I wouldn't be surprised if he did all this just so that Rockstar can make a GTA game based on him at this point...

Gaming New Outlet: GTA VI give players a chance to play as a Chinese-born Senator trying to stop the selling of "violent video games" throughout the game's main story...
Leland Yee: My work here is done...

I wonder what deal he will cut so he only has to go to a country club prison? Because lets face it he is not alone in his corruption and i'm willing to bet he can name some other names to get his sentence toned down. Or call in favors from people to get the charges thrown out, reduced etc.

however more optimistically he could be a made into a example so the system looks like its cleaning itself up so who knows.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here