Dragon Age: Inquisition to Have 40 Different Endings - Update

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

thetoddo:
The 40 different endings is probably going to be something along the lines of DA1 where you get different slides and voice-over at the end based on your choices. 40 slides could mean 20 major choices...

Or if it's 40 different endings you could just have 6 major yes/no choices with 6 slots and 4 wildcards where you can get bonus slides and VOILA! 40 different endings. :P

You hit the nail on the head, that does sound like the most logical way they will do it.

loa:
So 8 voices would mean "shipping on 14 discs or something"?
Does that mean this game will ship with 7 disks due to 4 voices or is laidlaw just full of shit and if he's full of shit which seems very likely, why would anyone believe the ridiculous claim of 40 endings?

Or he could just be exaggerating as a way of saying the game would be multi-disc if they had 8 or so people repeat the exact same lines. That was how I read it.

OT: I, like others, are going to take the wait-and-see approach for this game. I want to play to continue the saga, but am more that willing to wait for a price drop if its mediocre or just skip it if it's awful. I hope EA and Bioware are aware of this and understand they have to earn back our trust before a lot of us buy their products again.

StormShaun:
There are many improvements on this list, many that lay some of my worries to rest.
No DLC companions is nice, but I will still worry about some of the DLC they may release.
I'm liking the description of future companions, the amount of areas and endings.

Although I am a bit sceptical about the Inquisitor themselves, I like the sound of another "Origin" prologue, but he or she will have the ability to close the rifts ... this make me ask "how?"
And the dialogue wheel has me a bit worried.

Still, it seems I can lay some worry to rest, but I will still be pretty worried about this game.
It is looking quite fund at the moment though.

... all I want though, is a dual-wielding warrior. :D

I'm calling it now, Inquisitor will be the Maker or related to the Maker in some way.

OT: Jar of bees, the ULTIMATE WEAPON! ProJared should be happy to hear the news.

Two endings will be drastically different from each other. A third ending will be slightly different if not neutral.

[cynical]Then all three of these endings will have 14 insignificant variations like "Bob died, so he's not being thrown into this scene where the group gathers". And they're gonna call that a different ending just cuz of Bob's absense.[/cynical]

Anyway, I'm a hopeless Bioware fan that's really wanting this to be good.

GARforGunman:
40 different endings? No DLC characters? Improved gameplay?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lm_GPkOfVKI

Oh, Bioware, didn't you get the memo? It's statistically impossible to for you to come back after the triumvirate of disasters that were TOR, DA2 and ME3. You can kick your marketing into overdrive and have your corporate overlords try to shut out any negative press, but that will never erase the truth.

You guys forfeited your artistic integrity the moment joined EA and their corporate philosophy.

I don't find excitement in these details and previews. Just more pandering and buzzwords from a developer that's lost touch with what made them great to begin with.

All three of the games you mentioned did quite well saleswise, and at least with ME3 you kind of have to look outside the echo chamber of internet forums, most people who played that game loved it. DA2 was probably the closest thing to a "disaster" they had, but it still made money and that's really the only metric that matters to the publishers.

Bioware isn't the same company it was when it was pretty much the undisputed king of the video game RPG genre, and that has a lot more to do with key talent leaving for other studios than EA coming in. Regardless of this they still have an audience, and a lot of people still follow the name. Heck, I only gave ME1 a second chance because it was Bioware and I was pretty sure there was a good story hiding behind the terrible combat. At this point Bioware is just a name, they don't get my day 1 dollars anymore but if they make a good game I'm not going to let past sub-par performances stop me from trying their product once it's been vetted. The energy people spend on hating on this company baffles me.

capcha: minty fresh (that'd be my cough drop, I've got a hell of a cold. But thanks for noticing)

Biowares making it hard to remain skeptical. But I will remain so.

And I sure as hell am not pre-ordering this one.

Well, Mass Effect 3 had "16 different endings", so can't help but be a bit skeptic about that bit. Otherwise, I'm now pretty hyped about this game. Hopefully it's finally a return to form for BioWare.

Dammit, why AM I excited for this thing? I promised myself I'd stop harboring hope if the Old Republic turned out disappointing, which it did, yet just the memories of KotOR and Baldur's Gate keep making me hope that this company's still got it in them to make another game of that level of excellence.

at this point are we really going to believe anything BIoware says about anything?

They said Mass Effect 3 would have 16 different endings and it ended up with zero endings.

So far they have a 100% track record for lying about stuff like this.

so... fuck Bioware everyone who works there deserves to die in a fire then burn in hell for all eternity, BUTTTTTTTTTTTTT having a separate dialog wheel for tone and choice does sound magnificent.

To address why the same voices apply to all races, Mike Laidlaw made the following statement: "It's a matter of file size...if we were to have eight voices, two for each race, we would be shipping on 14 discs or something. We figured that with four voices, that would give players enough options while staying within our size limitations

Is DAI going to come out on 7 disks?
That's what they're telling us right... because if 8 voices is 14 disks 4 would be 7, at least 7...
I suppose if 16 endings is actually zero... ummmm no one at Bioware even understands how to count on their fingers fucking wonderful.

Bioware has a tendency to promise us the sun and moon, but all they do is wait for us to look up then piss in our eyes.
Then in a year or two Mass Effect 4 is going to promise 50 "meaningfully different" endings and we're all going to forget about this betrayal just long enough to get a nose full of piss again. DON'T FALL FOR IT!

Holy crap, I hope they are able to make true on that. I think the most likely outcome that is possible for 40 endings is that those endings offer a slightly different set of dialogue and a different kind of outro (probably in comic form or so).

But still, impressive.

Mikeyfell:

That's what they're telling us right... because if 8 voices is 14 disks 4 would be 7, at least 7...
I suppose if 16 endings is actually zero... ummmm no one at Bioware even understands how to count on their fingers fucking wonderful.

Bioware has a tendency to promise us the sun and moon, but all they do is wait for us to look up then piss in our eyes.
Then in a year or two Mass Effect 4 is going to promise 50 "meaningfully different" endings and we're all going to forget about this betrayal just long enough to get a nose full of piss again. DON'T FALL FOR IT!

Oh wow, here we go with the "betrayal".

Just chill, there's no need to pick apart every hyperbole someone uses to prove a point.

This is exactly what Bioware shouldn't be doing. I want this game to succeed. I do. I want Bioware to stop disappointing me. But then they go and do shit like this that makes me sigh. This pretty much confirms that we're getting another Mass Effect 3 situation. Even if you try to argue with me about that. At best we're looking at slight variations to 2 or 3 endings.

Sounds interesting, Bioware.

Also, anyone who brought up Mass Effect 3's endings, please report to the volcano. The Volcano God will have words with you after you receive the customary boot in the ass.

40 different colored explosions?

BioWare, you spoil us you do X3

Anyone here remember a little game called Star Ocean: the second story? On the back of the box promised 86 different endings! In reality the actual number was closer to 8-10, the rest was viciously padded out with minor tweaks on these core endings. Said tweaks were almost entirely based on how you treated your party members and your relationship values with them. mark my words, Dragon Age Inquisition is going to pull a second story and have about 5-10 actual endings with the other 30-35 declared "unique" endings based on your character relationships.

thetoddo:

GARforGunman:
40 different endings? No DLC characters? Improved gameplay?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lm_GPkOfVKI

Oh, Bioware, didn't you get the memo? It's statistically impossible to for you to come back after the triumvirate of disasters that were TOR, DA2 and ME3. You can kick your marketing into overdrive and have your corporate overlords try to shut out any negative press, but that will never erase the truth.

You guys forfeited your artistic integrity the moment joined EA and their corporate philosophy.

I don't find excitement in these details and previews. Just more pandering and buzzwords from a developer that's lost touch with what made them great to begin with.

All three of the games you mentioned did quite well saleswise, and at least with ME3 you kind of have to look outside the echo chamber of internet forums, most people who played that game loved it. DA2 was probably the closest thing to a "disaster" they had, but it still made money and that's really the only metric that matters to the publishers.

Bioware isn't the same company it was when it was pretty much the undisputed king of the video game RPG genre, and that has a lot more to do with key talent leaving for other studios than EA coming in. Regardless of this they still have an audience, and a lot of people still follow the name. Heck, I only gave ME1 a second chance because it was Bioware and I was pretty sure there was a good story hiding behind the terrible combat. At this point Bioware is just a name, they don't get my day 1 dollars anymore but if they make a good game I'm not going to let past sub-par performances stop me from trying their product once it's been vetted. The energy people spend on hating on this company baffles me.

capcha: minty fresh (that'd be my cough drop, I've got a hell of a cold. But thanks for noticing)

ME3 had a record number of returns and it's price drastically fell in just three months of it's release.The sales numbers themselves came from the pre orders.

The Great JT:

Also, anyone who brought up Mass Effect 3's endings, please report to the volcano. The Volcano God will have words with you after you receive the customary boot in the ass.

Why?Bioware made the exact same claim with ME3 so people are justified in bringing it up.

Fdzzaigl:
Holy crap, I hope they are able to make true on that. I think the most likely outcome that is possible for 40 endings is that those endings offer a slightly different set of dialogue and a different kind of outro (probably in comic form or so).

But still, impressive.

Mikeyfell:

Just chill, there's no need to pick apart every hyperbole someone uses to prove a point.

I got news for you:Bioware won't be able to deliver on it's 40 different endings,it's pretty much impossible for a game that only has a 3-4 year development cycle.At best there will be 5-6 main endings ith dozens of minor changes depending on what you did in DA:I.

I will believe it when I see it. I wish this game all the best. I want it to be the best dragon age yet. I just don't trust bioware anymore.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2012/01/10/mass1525-effect-3-cas5ey-fdsafdhudson-interviewae.aspx?PostPageIndex=2

I will just let you give that a read as opposed to just going into another pointless rant.

ArkhamJester:
Anyone here remember a little game called Star Ocean: the second story? On the back of the box promised 86 different endings! In reality the actual number was closer to 8-10, the rest was viciously padded out with minor tweaks on these core endings. Said tweaks were almost entirely based on how you treated your party members and your relationship values with them. mark my words, Dragon Age Inquisition is going to pull a second story and have about 5-10 actual endings with the other 30-35 declared "unique" endings based on your character relationships.

That's actually perfectly fine, I don't think anyone seriously thinks there are going to be 40 different pre-rendered cutscenes. That'd be great (unless you want to platinum it and one of the trophies is "Seen all the endings") but it's a completely unreasonable expectation. It's probably going to be slides and different character dialogue at the end, which if it's different based on what my actions were will suit me fine. If it's the same cutscene with different filters I'd actually be ok with it too in a "You got me again you cheeky bastards" way before never buying one of their games again. At least I'd leave with a laugh.

They really just shot the themselves in the foot if they can't deliver on this. Hopefully they do. However, I'm preparing for when they don't.

I might have to pre-order this. I don't really care how many endings there are, I just think all the other news sound very promising.

mrverbal:
Green, yellow, pink, beige, puce, chartruse, aqua, scarlett, black, grey, amber, orange,.....

Look, hopefully this is them picking up the pieces from a trainwreck and a near trainwreck (which of DA2 and ME3 is which is left as an exercise for the reader) and ends up being amazing. Until I see that, however, they are still on my "handle with caution" list.

No, it's much more intense.

This time, they're going with the full Dulux Colour chart;

I can't wait for the arguments over whether they preferred Terracota-Red7 or Peach-Amber13.

I'm really disappointed in everyone here at the Escapist!
Instead of making the same tired jokes about color we should be talking about the tactical value of a jar of bees!
Consider! In Dragon Age Origins you could turn into bees!
Can you Buff/Heal characters that are currently a bee swarm by throwing jars of bees at them? And if so what happens to the extra bees when they resume human form?
Put shapeshifting characters in jars and throw them at people or hard to reach places?
Imagine seiging a castle by getting your wizards to turn into bee swarms and catapulting them over castle walls!

Candidus:
Spoiler, it's the secret ending, #41.

This.

This here, is genius.

Taste the rainbow bros

Well I'm quite excited about the game and interested in the series - so thank you, Escapist, for providing news about it. I've been watching their Google + page for updates - the unveiling of the mage companion has been quite interesting, although I fear I may not actually love having her as a companion. It's hard for me to sift through the forums for useful information though on my daily Internet stops so - thanks for pulling this out.

I hope they do it in a way how Dragon Age: Origins did it. Loved how all those boxes came up and said what happened based on the decisions I made in the game. Hope to see that to some effect in here.

The Great JT:

While I normally would agree in any other topic (its been two years and some people still won't let it go), I think that the ending of ME3 is topical right now. This is the first single-player rpg Bioware has released since that whole mess happened. The comparisons are not only inevitable but, in my opinion, necessary to remind both sides of the fence how much was promised (and, ultimately, undelivered) last time they had a shot at this.

OT:

I loved DA:O and I actually found DA2 to be more tolerable than most people did, but I also loved ME1 and ME2 only to be extremely let down by the third installment. Right now, all of those promises look really nice but ME3 showed us that Bioware is not above misleading or simply lying to its consumers to make a quick buck.

I want this game to be good. I want this to be a game that, like DA:O and ME1/2, I'll go back and play over and over again. But, considering Bioware's recent blunders and their increasing desire to water down franchises to appeal to the masses, I just cannot get myself excited for this game. Maybe once the reviews come out and I get a chance to see it in action. Until then, color me interested if still relatively apathetic.

Cecilo:
Yea, Sure, 40 different endings. Just like Mass Effect 3 was supposed to have so and so amount of endings.

Mr Ink 5000:
40 different ending? this is madness! I dont even know 40 different colours?!

Honestly, I could just go about quoting this entire damn chat so far. I will admit, the world and such sound interesting. However, this is truly a case of lost faith that will be extremely difficult to rebuild.

Moreover, while BW might have some stock in such an endeavor, EA has absolutely none with me at this point. Sad thing is, DA3 may end up being a good game, and a positive in terms of trust building. However, the fan reaction may still be so sour, the sales figures for this game will not accurately portray the merits of this game (assuming it isn't DA2 and ME3 again).

In such an event, we may get a proper "ode to the fans" that still "underperforms" simply b/c of expectation. However, even sadder is that I can't bring myself to care. I want this game to be good, and I want BW to return to form, but I couldn't care less about EA. As such, I am likely to buy this game used (if at all), but get DA merchandise (support BW directly, as opposed to BW and EA).

Also, that bit about the "no DLC characters" is cute: "part of them has to be shipped on the disc...which was led to criticism that we're forcing people to pay for content they already own. It's not the case, but we've decided this time to not go that route."

Uh huh, more like the consumer is tired of getting screwed, while being told "it's a service," and they realize we won't drink the Kool-Aid anymore...

Wow, they must be really delving into those more obscure colours! Will there be a mauve ending?

(In all seriousness, if I'd seen this news before playing ME3 I'd have been excited, now not so much. Too early to tell if the endings actually mean shit or they're just slight alterations of each other.)

Milky1985:
TBH i suspect again they are shooting themselves in the foot due to over-hyping. What will actually happen is that there will be points in the game where a event happens and you can solve it in one of 2 or 3 ways, a good, bad or neutral way, and this will be reflected in the ending (so now you have 3 endings).

There will then be another event which can be solved in a similar situation, but now they will count the showing of the results of this combined with the last one as a separate ending, so now you have 9 endings, (good-good, good-neutral etc)

And so on, so if there are 3 ways of dealing with it, it only takes 4 "events" to make the 40 different endings , about 5 or 6 to make the 40. Don't' get me wrong this could work, but the amount of binary moral choices that are happening in games nowerdays make me cynical when they come out with stuff like this.

This is of course assuming they are not talking out of there behinds, and also assuming by 40 different endings they don't just mean different parts of the colour spectrum (although the brown ending could be funny)

yupp. this is deja vu from mass effect 3 pretty hardcore.

I'd honestly rather have 1-3 amazing endings than to have "40" mediocre/bleh/color spectrum ones. screw that noise.

Unless this game is a godsend, they are shooting themselves in the foot hard by saying stuff like this.

I wager that most of these "different" endings will only be different by adding a word or two of different dialogue. And that will ultimately be ME3 all over again.

Not even gonna go near the endings issue, but:

- According to the magazine, while enemy levels don't scale to your characters, you can affect environmental changes to drastically influence local settlements, establish trade routes, capture territory and disrupt the local ecosystem.

Heard this one a billion times before, never seen it done properly.

- Wild flora and fauna, useful for crafting can be hunted to scarcity, allowing other species to proliferate.
Defeating intelligent enemies like bandits or dragons will have a significant effect on a given region.

Peter Molyneux? Is that you?

- "We have three wheels that we use in response to any given piece of dialogue" says Gaider. "One of those is what we call the 'tone wheel', which is mostly for role-playing choices. The other two are the 'choice wheel'- for taking an action or stating an opinion-and the 'reaction wheel,' for emotional moments"

Well this is confusing as fuck. Do you have to pick which wheel you use, or does the game do it for you? Why the arbitrary distinction between 'role playing choices' and 'choices'? For that matter, why the distinction between 'roleplaying' and 'emotional moments'?

Christ, I wish Bioware would start treating dialogue like dialogue again, instead of telegraphed binary character choices.

the hidden eagle:

Fdzzaigl:

But still, impressive.

Mikeyfell:

I got news for you:Bioware won't be able to deliver on it's 40 different endings,it's pretty much impossible for a game that only has a 3-4 year development cycle.At best there will be 5-6 main endings ith dozens of minor changes depending on what you did in DA:I.

If you read between the lines of my response, you'd see that I fully expect a few slightly different endings with a slightly different ending cinematic.

As long as they're making a serious effort and the game is fun that's fine by me. Having 4 different voices per gender for your player character is also impressive.

All the "betrayal" shit about ME3 is getting real old by now. The ending wasn't the everlasting land of milk and honey where you could have sexy times with Tali forever, like some expected. Nor was the ending great or good, but it did make sense. So feeling betrayed is misplaced.

I really want to hear the voice actors... female hawke was atrocious.

Fdzzaigl:

the hidden eagle:

Fdzzaigl:

But still, impressive.

If you read between the lines of my response, you'd see that I fully expect a few slightly different endings with a slightly different ending cinematic.

As long as they're making a serious effort and the game is fun that's fine by me. Having 4 different voices per gender for your player character is also impressive.

All the "betrayal" shit about ME3 is getting real old by now. The ending wasn't the everlasting land of milk and honey where you could have sexy times with Tali forever, like some expected. Nor was the ending great or good, but it did make sense. So feeling betrayed is misplaced.

I'm not going to get into the ME3 endings again but how did it make it sense?Also Bioware did betray it's fans by basically calling them a bunch of dumb nimrods who just did'nt "get it".

I don't know about any one else, but I'd much rather have 3 or 4, hell even 1 well crafted ending than a few dozen shallow token endings.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here