Ubisoft on Yearly Assassin's Creed: We'd Be Stupid Not to Satisfy This Need

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Ubisoft on Yearly Assassin's Creed: We'd Be Stupid Not to Satisfy This Need

AC Unity

Ubisoft vice president of creative Lionel Raynaud claims the publisher is able to release a new Assassin's Creed title every year because people want a new Assassin's Creed game annually.

Regardless if gamers are tired of the franchise or not, the Assassin's Creed series sees an entry every year for almost every platform conceived. Speaking to EDGE magazine, Ubisoft vice president of creative Lionel Raynaud talks about the pressure of releasing a major entry in the publisher's arguably biggest series annually, and claims Ubisoft would be "stupid" to not release a new Assassin's Creed game every year since people want it to come out every year.

We are able to offer people a new Assassin's Creed every year because they want Assassin's Creed every year. As long as this is true we would be very stupid to not satisfy this need, but it puts a lot of pressure on us to create something that will never disappoint...It needs to keep the series core values and we need to really make sure that we have a good, high level understanding of what it is to be an Assassin. We have to make sure we always deliver a better feel and overall experience every time while still bringing something that they haven't seen before that's consistent with being an Assassin in the world we've created.

While Ubisoft sells a load of Assassin's Creed games every year it's released, the publisher also needs to make sure the gaming public doesn't hit a saturation point since it is Ubi's flagship series in its stable. Do you agree that it'd be "stupid" to not release a new Assassin's Creed game every year since people are thirsty for more or are people slowly feeling the dreaded franchise fatigue when it comes to the series?

This year's entry in the annual series will be called Assasssin's Creed: Unity and will be set in Paris according to Ubisoft.

Source: EDGE

I don't ever remember taking a survey asking me if I want a new Assassin's Creed game every year, so I don't know where he's getting this knowledge from.

As I, and many others, have said to almost every single other person on these forums: 'cite your fucking sources.'

Where exactly is your proof backing this claim up Mr.Raynaud?

EDIT: Just wanted to add, I find it just a bit baffling that publishers and developers hold tight to this attitude that yearly installments are a necessity. Especially, in the face of Rockstar releasing 'Grand Theft Auto V' more than five years after its predecessor... and making a billion dollars in three days from regular sales.

Fair enough, people seem to have money to burn but it would be more sincere if those people handed over their wallets to them so we all can be over and done with this.

Hey, Ubisoft? Do you remember what happened to the Tony Hawk and Guitar Hero franchises?

Have you seen the response to Call of Duty: Ghosts? Or your own Assassin's Creed III? Did you completely miss the fact that many people were excited for Black Flag because you got to be a pirate, which was something actually different for once (in addition to being a very underutilized theme in video games at the moment)? And that now there's a lot of apprehension surrounding the new Assassin's Creed, because a lot of people are just straight bored of the typical Assassin's Creed gameplay formula?

No?

You're going to keep shoving out more and more of them until it all collapses on itself and you have to find a new franchise to become your money-maker?

Okay, well, I'm sure you know better than a random guy on the internet anyway.

We don't need yearly sequels, it will get stagnant and some consumers will want something new, not the same series all the time.

I think 'yearly' series can work, if you do a '1 year is a main, 1 year is a side' type of a deal.

For example:
2013 was the year of Black Flag.
2014 could be a solid spin-off focusing on a side character, set in the same time period but a different hub.

There's no '[citation needed]' sign that's big enough to cover Mr. Raynaud's statement. I'm pretty sure most consumers would prefer the quality of a series over the rate of release.

Replace the word "yearly" with the words "consistently good" and then you have a "need."

No one needs a yearly dose of Ass Creed. What the gaming world needs is publishers that are more interested in quality than quantity.

shrekfan246:
Hey, Ubisoft? Do you remember what happened to the Tony Hawk and Guitar Hero franchises?

Have you seen the response to Call of Duty: Ghosts? Or your own Assassin's Creed III? Did you completely miss the fact that many people were excited for Black Flag because you got to be a pirate, which was something actually different for once (in addition to being a very underutilized theme in video games at the moment)? And that now there's a lot of apprehension surrounding the new Assassin's Creed, because a lot of people are just straight bored of the typical Assassin's Creed gameplay formula?

No?

You're going to keep shoving out more and more of them until it all collapses on itself and you have to find a new franchise to become your money-maker?

Okay, well, I'm sure you know better than a random guy on the internet anyway.

My thoughts exactly. Just because I adored 'Black Flag' doesn't mean I think the series is going to keep up the momentum it garnered from it. At this point, I think it would be safe to say that AC4 is going to be remembered as the 'one-hit wonder' of this new era of 'Assassin's Creed.'

Ill grant that as a yearly ass creed does engage me more than it doesnt. But how long will that last?

Oh come on ubi I don't need an ass creed every year, in fact it's pretty much killed the series for me

But then I can't argue with your bottom line

There is no "need" for an Assassin's Creed game every year. They sell every year because the fans that can still stand the series like the series and want to keep up, and if it weren't for games like AC2 and AC4 sprucing up the series a bit every couple of years even those people would be sick of it by now.

And I wouldn't be surprised if even those occasional tune ups won't keep it going much longer. The series story wise went off the rails before 3 ever came out, and I couldn't bring myself to play it but I've heard it only got worse with that one.

He's confusing continued sales based on the strength of previous games and the occasional slight change to the formula with actual demand. Just because people are buying it doesn't mean the demand is going to be there year after year. And just because you're selling a game every year does not mean you're actually filling a real demand.

If they were at least a little smart about it and would go a couple of years between releases so they could make better titles and give people a chance to build some actual anticipation for the next release, that'd at least be somewhat smart. But we've seen repeatedly that these yearly releases die out eventually. Guitar Hero and Rock Band died extremely quickly because of the high cost. Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed are taking a bit longer because they're at least not $100+ each year. Several years ago, it was WW2 shooters that were dead as a door nail. When these yearly releases and over done styles go, it's not just franchises that day, it's damn near entire genres. AC is going to burn people out, and when it does, I doubt we'll see another game with it's style of gameplay for years. And Ubisoft is going to be left standing there wondering what the hell happened while looking for their new yearly franchise to replace it, none the wiser for the experience.

First thing I thought of

Except I don't have a need for an annual AC. Quit the opposite actually.

Ah well, can't wait for the inevitable death of this franchise in a few years. I suppose it at least means one of the games will have a proper ending.

It's not a need its a want. People like Ice Cream but you give them ONLY that, they'll decide they'd rather never eat it again for the rest of their life but spread it out some maybe throw in some dreaded veggies and meat then Ice Cream stays profitable for much longer.

Though I understand your business imperative to milk the cow until it dies, everyone gets sick of the same-old shit eventually, Mr. Raynaud.

Vault101:
Oh come on ubi I don't need an ass creed every year, in fact it's pretty much killed the series for me

I...

I thought you were banned?

In fact I'm sure of it. We had special mourning gifs and everything. How in the heck - Did you regenerate or something?

Oh well. Welcome back. I think.

shrekfan246:

I don't know a ton about Tony Hawk, but Guitar Hero died because they massively oversaturated far beyond one a year. You had World Tour, 5, Aerosmith, Metallica, Van Halen, Smash Hits, and Band Hero all in a two year period (08-09) plus Rock Band releasing a game or two in the same period.

I don't think one Assassin's Creed game a year will result in the same insane crash, especially since playing an AC game doesn't require you to keep a bulky and expensive peripheral around.

Hero in a half shell:

Vault101:

I...

I thought you were banned?

In fact I'm sure of it. We had special mourning gifs and everything. How in the heck - Did you regenerate or something?

Oh well. Welcome back. I think.

Much like eminem I made a comeback

Is it just me, or does the headline sound like the beginning of a poem?

Falterfire:

I don't think one Assassin's Creed game a year will result in the same insane crash, especially since playing an AC game doesn't require you to keep a bulky and expensive peripheral around.

If you count handheld titles, Assassin's Creed has released ten games since the first one in 2007. If you count iOS/browser games as well (I know, I know, but that's why I'm specifying) then it's fourteen.

Yeah, sure, they're not all released as full-price games or big-budget DLC, but the franchise has also spread out into graphic novels and books, and they're pushing into the film industry as well. And if the rumors are true then they intend on releasing two completely different AC games this fall, one on the PS4/Xbox One and one on the PS3/Xbox 360, both with separate narratives and characters and locations.

Ubisoft is most definitely pushing to oversaturate the market with Assassin's Creed, and they're only going to burst their bubble faster if they keep rocketing down their current path.

Sales wise, I suppose I can't blame them. I mean, if they're still selling enough regularly then I can totally see the value in pumping (at least) one out every year.

Game quality wise, however? Yeah, they really need to take a break. At least give the game a couple of years in development to allow for some real change and advancement to make it into the series. While they may be able to technically release at least one AC game per year, that doesn't allow them nearly enough time to really do anything new or interesting with the series. There is, of course, also the benefit of actually allowing players to miss the game a little such that when it does come back there is more of a real desire for it as opposed to just a compulsion to buy because "hey, I've bought every other one so far."

I was under the assumption ACIII was what we all hoped would be the dying breath of what was turning into a very stale IP. Black Flag was unveiled (unfurled?) and the natural and acceptable reaction of "oh... pirates! I will allow it..." was to be expected. I loved Black Flag for the piracy. The parts that pulled me out of terrorizing the Caribbean, forcing me to play the AC formula in order to progress, were boring and frustrating when repeated (I lost count of how many times I had to follow some turds to eavesdrop.
Another rushed AC so soon is going to be a case of "same shit. same shovel." and a flop. It's not that I hope something like that will happen. Hell... I hope it turns out to be the best game ever! But it's not gonna be.

Yearly Assassin's Creed games do keep me sated.
If they keep up the quality as they have so far, then by all means keep em coming.

Houseman:
I don't ever remember taking a survey asking me if I want a new Assassin's Creed game every year, so I don't know where he's getting this knowledge from.

King Whurdler:
As I, and many others, have said to almost every single other person on these forums: 'cite your fucking sources.'

Where exactly is your proof backing this claim up Mr.Raynaud?

You can be 99% certain that they're going of sales data: as long as they continue to sell 10 million plus copies every year, they'll continue to take that as justification for putting out another one every year.

Falterfire:

shrekfan246:

I don't know a ton about Tony Hawk, but Guitar Hero died because they massively oversaturated far beyond one a year. You had World Tour, 5, Aerosmith, Metallica, Van Halen, Smash Hits, and Band Hero all in a two year period (08-09) plus Rock Band releasing a game or two in the same period.

Exactly what I was thinking. Guitar Hero had all sorts of problems - market saturation was actually just one of them. There seemed like there was a new one... what, every two or three months for a while there. They also didn't offer great value for money, as they were often charging full price for what was effectively just the same game with slightly different songs. There's the peripheral expense too, given that they expected you to shell out for completely new controllers just to play the games.

And then there was the competition, from Rock Band as well as a bunch of other stuff (DJ Hero, the karaoke games, etc).

AssCreed isn't oversaturated to quite that extent. It also has an ongoing plot (as preposterous as it is) that keeps people invested as well, something which none of the Tony Hawk or rhythm games had. And try as I might, I can't think of a lot of stuff that gives you quite the same experience... so it doesn't really have that much competition.

I hate to say it, but I agree with the guy: as long as people keep buying the games in these numbers, they'd be stupid not to put one out every year. I won't be buying them all, but someone obviously is...

Goes to show that they are only concerned with money instead of producing a quality game.

as much i enjoy the series, i dont want it every year. rather spend some time making something new.

Good grief, I still haven't completed Ass Creed 2...

Yes, congratulations, you have identified that people will buy a yearly Assassin's Creed. You have also alienated some fans of the earlier games like myself and will not be seeing my money because we prefer better gameplay, more freedom and interesting, diverse environments to a handful of guided history tours in colonial settings. Admittedly, the quality of the games could have more to do with gameplay decisions leading to QTE combat and linearity and design decisions leading to boring architecture and settings than time constraints, but whatever they're doing, it's not what I signed up for when I bought the first game.

It's like sports games that release each year with essentially an updated roster - there are plenty of people who buy them, I think it's a travesty and wouldn't personally, but clearly some people think that's fine. The difference is I was part of the fanbase at some point whereas I am completely disinterested in sports games.

The only reason I care at this point is if their crap deluge smothers the good games out of the market. Signs point to this having happened already, so while I am mad about it, I'm not sure if there's really anything we could do at this point besides focusing on pushing back with better games. Otherwise, there won't really be anything to argue about, because there won't be anything recent to compare it to. For all the dissent we hear on the internet, there are too many more people willing to deal with it, and trying to convince them otherwise without something to offer them is useless.

Nobody really learns the hard lessons until it's too late, anyway.

I used to be a huge fan of the Assassins Creed franchise. I even bought collectors editions for several of the games, which is something I never do.

But after playing the same game year after year, and after the utter atrocity that was Assassins Creed 3, I'm done with this series.

Vault101:

Yay your back! :-)

OT: Ubisoft you, EA and Activison are idiots. History has proven time and time again that when you saturate the market you just kill it. Seriously your better off releasing different series over a 2-3 year alternating period then the one game every year, change is the spice of life after all.

I'm still burned by Assassin's Creed 3. (5/5 from Escapist, yes I'm never going to let it go)

If Lionel Raynaud person offers his face for me to smash kick his face in, I'd call it even.

RicoADF:

Vault101:

Yay your back! :-)

OT: Ubisoft you, EA and Activison are idiots. History has proven time and time again that when you saturate the market you just kill it. Seriously your better off releasing different series over a 2-3 year alternating period then the one game every year, change is the spice of life after all.

Now about that avatar....

mysecondlife:
I'm still burned by Assassin's Creed 3. (5/5 from Escapist, yes I'm never going to let it go)

If Lionel Raynaud person offers his face for me to smash kick his face in, I'd call it even.

To be fair it's perfectly within their right to rate it as high as they see fit, plus escapist is only one if many scources of reviews

id say release them as often as theyll sell. just try to innovate at least a little with each game.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here