Dark Souls II Hi-Fidelity Screenshots Removed From Steam

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Dark Souls II Hi-Fidelity Screenshots Removed From Steam

dark souls 2 low resolution

It looks like the Steam version of Dark Souls II will share graphical parity with the console versions.

Dark Souls II is a great game, but, it's not quite as... shiny as we expected it to be. Earlier, From Software confirmed that the console version of the game suffered a graphical downgrade in the pursuit of a stable framerate, but seemed to imply that the PC version would be untouched. But now, our hopes have been dashed, as the higher-fidelity screenshots from the pre-release builds of Dark Souls II have been replaced on the game's Steam page with images more akin to how the game looks on consoles.

Reportedly, the retail console version of Dark Souls II featured the same outdated screenshots on the back of the box, suggesting the last-minute nature of the changes. Earlier, a Forbes source was quoted as saying "I strongly suspect that they were focusing heavily on delivering a top-notch experience on PC and underestimated the challenges the new systems would pose on PS3 / Xbox360."

The build of the game shown at E3 2013 featured a lot of additional graphical features, such as a lighting system that seemed to plunge the world of Drangleic into deep darkness, traversable only with the help of a trusty torch. Sadly, it looks like we will never be able to experience this version of the game (until, of course, PC modders start getting busy).

Dark Souls 2 will be released for PC on 25 April, and while it may have graphical parity with the console versions, it will support a much higher range of resolutions, all the way up to 4k.

Source: IncGamers

Well, at least they are striving to make the store page honest. More than can be said about some other games on Steam.

Steven Bogos:
It looks like the Steam version of Dark Souls II will share graphical parity with the console versions.

Well, at least until (I'm assuming) someone comes along and makes a mod for it enabling such features. Or not. Either way the game is prettier and runs more smooth than Dark Souls did so whichever works for me.

Don't put hi-fidelity shots if it does not show what the PC version will be. I hate deception.

What exactly are we talking about aside from resolution?

I mean if DS 2 has had to be scaled down...well that's annoying, if you have to watch yourself due that many times it might as well look pretty

wait what?
this makes little sense, why would they delay the game a month for pc if the graphics are going to be the same?
i thought that month delay was to optimize the game enough that the original super graphics would not be too heavy, they do know that pcs can handle much much better graphics than the consoles right?
or is the engine so wonky that they just can not get a good frame rate even on pc but then again how did they make the trailers and beta gameplay if that was the case...

this is a very odd game release.

If it's the same "vertical slice of gameplay" bullshit that they pulled with Watch_dogs then it's pretty annoying.

I know From doesn't have the same shitty reputation that Ubisoft does, but it's still pretty disappointing.

At least ensure that it will be 60 fps. An action game where timing is paramount simply cannot be 30 or below, especially on the PC.

This makes me wonder if I wasn't right about the issue earlier...I remember hearing that during Beta Tests for Dark Souls 2, the Beta kept the same lighting system that was shown in the promo material. However, the testers found that the system made the world too dark, and that even with torches it was hard to see some things. I assumed then that From just scaled the system back, and from what this report says, that seems to be the case.

For those wondering why the PC version wouldn't feature something more graphical superior...Dark Souls 1 was From's first PC game ever, and it kind of shows that they were (possibly are) not very familiar with all the systems in place. They may have had more time with this, but I think From is still a company that is primarily familiar with console development, and that it may take one or two more tries to get it all "right"

Now I'm sad.

I'm still pre-ordering the damn thing because it's a great game and proper resolution+framerate already make it much better than on consoles...

...but I'm sad it won't look as cool as they've shown it to look thus far; It seems that new lighting system was a complete failure across the board if they couldn't get it to work anywhere :(

Maybe in a patch?? *fingers crossed*

I don't quite understand. Technically the only difference between low and high resolution textures is the amount of VRAM required to store it all. Likewise, they are supporting up to 4k but can't get the game to run as intended at 1080p? I don't know what to make of this.

I have a massive grin on my face right now. I can't wait to see how the Dark Souls fans come justify this. (if it is true.) I'm expecting a lot of denial and "gameplay is all that matters." arguments.

Though I do hope it isn't true. I don't hate dark souls, I just really don't like the fanbase.

And now I won't be letting them "get away with it" anymore, and can officially file this under the same bullshit Ubisoft was pushing with Watch Dogs.

Shame. I rather liked From Software.

I wonder if anyone who pre-ordered the PC version under the impression the removed screenshots were legit would seek a refund and be given one? I believe Steam will refund pre-orders.

Clive Howlitzer:
I wonder if anyone who pre-ordered the PC version under the impression the removed screenshots were legit would seek a refund and be given one? I believe Steam will refund pre-orders.

you can automatically refund pre-orders on steam now

just click a button and done

i blame those console peasants for this blasphemy! i say the entire master race should unite, hopefully under a charismatic leader and find a way to get rid of the console problem, a final solution one might say

also i probably should get my master race credentials revoked because the game still looks pretty damn good in those screens on the steam page

Vault101:

I mean if DS 2 has had to be scaled down...well that's annoying, if you have to watch yourself due that many times it might as well look pretty

YOU'RE BACK!

*ahem* Yeah, the problem here is not simply resolution, the problem is that earlier builds showed advanced lighting and shadowing techniques that actually made it look MUCH better than Dark Souls 1, but presumably at the last minute, the actual game looked closer than Dark Souls 1, without the pretty shadows and such that they showed on early build videos.

Everyone was hoping that the PC version would still look as pretty as those vids did, but now that they removed the early build screenshots, everyone's hopes is suddendly shattered to know that it'll take a graphical downgrade.

It's a bummer, but personally I don't mind, I liked DS1's graphics anyways, if 2 looks like that or slightly better, I definitely don't mind.

SupahGamuh:

Vault101:

YOU'RE BACK!

*ahem* Yeah, the problem here is not simply resolution, the problem is that earlier builds showed advanced lighting and shadowing techniques that actually made it look MUCH better than Dark Souls 1, but presumably at the last minute, the actual game looked closer than Dark Souls 1, without the pretty shadows and such that they showed on early build videos.

Everyone was hoping that the PC version would still look as pretty as those vids did, but now that they removed the early build screenshots, everyone's hopes is suddendly shattered to know that it'll take a graphical downgrade.

It's a bummer, but personally I don't mind, I liked DS1's graphics anyways, if 2 looks like that or slightly better, I definitely don't mind.

Unless there is some legit technical reason why would they graphically down grade? Unlike watchdogs it's already out on consoles (is it on ps3?)

Vault101:

They disabled a dynamic lighting system. Graphically, this makes the game look a little off and less appealing (and in spots you see some terrible textures that range from poor to unfinished, which were obviously meant to be hidden by shadows.

Gameplay wise, there's a whole mechanic involving lighting torches thats entirely useless now, with myriad leftover artefacts related to it. The most obvious of these are light sensitive enemies, who are now reacting to lighting that isn't visibly there. As well as the targeting system randomly failing to simulate enemies hiding in shadows that are no longer visually represented.

Seth Carter:

Vault101:

They disabled a dynamic lighting system. Graphically, this makes the game look a little off and less appealing (and in spots you see some terrible textures that range from poor to unfinished, which were obviously meant to be hidden by shadows.

Gameplay wise, there's a whole mechanic involving lighting torches thats entirely useless now, with myriad leftover artefacts related to it. The most obvious of these are light sensitive enemies, who are now reacting to lighting that isn't visibly there. As well as the targeting system randomly failing to simulate enemies hiding in shadows that are no longer visually represented.

Pretty much my thoughts. It's not just a case of "turning off the pretty graphics" as much as it is the removal of the dynamic lighting system as a whole. You can pretty clearly see in game that some things just aren't quite looking like or working like they were originally intended to, and it's not just a graphical change. Some of the mechanics have been emulated, like the lock on issues in darkened/shadowed areas or the light sensitive enemies but that's about as deep as it goes.

Still, it's a great game and if you liked the first game(s) then you'll also find a lot to like in DS2. The graphical and systems downgrade shouldn't stop anyone from experiencing it.

Elfgore:
I have a massive grin on my face right now. I can't wait to see how the Dark Souls fans come justify this. (if it is true.) I'm expecting a lot of denial and "gameplay is all that matters." arguments.

Though I do hope it isn't true. I don't hate dark souls, I just really don't like the fanbase.

What exactly is it you don't like? I can tell you, from the inside, it's about as good a fan base as I've been a part of. We get characterised as "elitist" yet if you need help and put a query out there you will get a number of detailed, helpful, friendly responses. Compare that to so many other games (like WoW for instance) where daring to ask a question instantly marks you as a worthless noob to be sarcastically misled at best, and randomly abused at worst. Also, if you look at some old Souls threads, I think you'll find that if there's hostility in there it's usually being brought in from outside, from one of a number of passionate haters who believe their taste is objectively right for some reason.

And for my part, I genuinely don't give a flying fuck about graphics and never have, which is why I was content to buy the PS3 version in the first place. I guess PC Master Racers are likely to be annoyed though.

The shiny graphics would have been really nice to have, but I do wonder if the dynamic lighting would have made the game too dark. (Yeah, yeah, I know; Dark Souls). Certain areas in the game are already pretty dark as is, and while a torch isn't strictly necessary, I do think that calling it useless is going too far. Having every level turned into the Tomb of Giants is not exactly my idea of fun. That being said, I would have liked to experience it for myself regardless, and it is a shame (assuming that this is true) that the PC version won't have that benefit.

I think people can count on modders getting it in though. That's pretty much a gimmick.

Also, were the original screenshots from the pre-beta footage, or were they legitimate supposed gameplay?

Elfgore:

I'm immensely disappointed in From and how the game turned out visual and lighting wise. Playing the beta and then revisiting the SAME area from said beta to see the jarring downgrade in lighting killed me inside.
BUT I'd be lying if I didn't say the game wasn't fun as hell and pretty gorgeous in comparison to Dks1.

I also have yet to see the console community really up in arms about it, yeah we were pissed, but we got over it in a flash (those same people are moving over to PC anyways because why not, more Dark Souls!). We're currently more fixated on getting From to fix the broken poise mechanics than lol graphics... especially when you consider modders are probably getting their itchy fingers ready to turn the PC version into the E3 gameplay.

Dark Souls 1 was shit plenty areas too... at this point you gotta take these things with a grain of salt.

inb4 that one elitist shows up, telling me to get over it.

And now I'm laughing my ass off at all the PC elitist cry babies on here crying and pointing their fingers at consoles, claiming its their fault, and which a lot of you are claiming the game isn't worth a buy if it isn't in "SUPERULTRA GRAPHICAL MODE ACTIVATE OMG" I beat dark souls 2 in a few days, its not that spectacular, a forgettable story, a ton of bosses and plenty of dying. Thats. About. it.

Seriously PC elitists, try to enjoy a game for once in your life without sounding like an over opinionated spoilt rich kid?

Branindain:
[quote="Elfgore" post="7.846112.20858252"]
-snip-

You clearly haven't seen the vast majority of dark souls elitists. When someone new asks a question about an item? Get good is the response, A person asks how to beat a boss? Nope, just get good. Thats the dark souls fanbase's answer to everything, just "get good, one person clearly wants help from other fans and they just barrage him with noob comments and tell him to somehow out of nowhere to just get good, isn't that unfair? Not to mention if you don't play a souls came your classified by dark souls fanboys as casual. Hows that NOT elitist?

I couldn't care less about this just because of two reasons:

1- I don't play these games
2- Someone IS going to put out a "OMG EXTREME HD ALL OF THE HD" mod that will probably look better than anything the devs could do.

Glaice:
Don't put hi-fidelity shots if it does not show what the PC version will be. I hate deception.

They aimed for it and missed, so they changed the screenshots to be accurate. Where's the deception?

OT: Daw. I wonder what broke the camel's back in the end.

so where are the watchdogs graphics angry mob whne you need them?

Grabehn:
I couldn't care less about this just because of two reasons:

2- Someone IS going to put out a "OMG EXTREME HD ALL OF THE HD" mod that will probably look better than anything the devs could do.

except they(from software) is getting your money to do a job they promissed and its not the modders job to do it and guess what the modders will get in return for this.

people shouldnt take good will from fans for granted. not even the companies who create the product.

Eh, I love the Souls series but they've always been really ugly. While I'd never not play cause of that, there's no real reason for them to be as demanding as they are, even on console - it's just poor optimization.

CharrHearted:

Branindain:
[quote="Elfgore" post="7.846112.20858252"]
-snip-

You clearly haven't seen the vast majority of dark souls elitists. When someone new asks a question about an item? Get good is the response, A person asks how to beat a boss? Nope, just get good. Thats the dark souls fanbase's answer to everything, just "get good, one person clearly wants help from other fans and they just barrage him with noob comments and tell him to somehow out of nowhere to just get good, isn't that unfair? Not to mention if you don't play a souls came your classified by dark souls fanboys as casual. Hows that NOT elitist?

Really? I hardly ever see that, when I was new and looking for help myself about the first game I usually just found helpful advice. The only time I've seen the kind of thing your talking about is when someone made a topic on a forum somewhere bashing the game with untrue comments or stupid stuff like "The first boss is unbeatable, this game is terrible your all nerds for playing this crap" because they didn't realize you need to run away from the first boss. When they ignore the camera focusing on a door that opens as a giant monster jumps down while your unarmed and the glowing orange text on the floor saying "get away" then I imagine some people may just angrily respond with get good.

Mostly the community is alright, it's just that fans really overhype the games, especially the difficulty.

Pretty sure I'll be buying this when I have money, and still would if it looked worse than demon's souls.
Fortunate that I never played the beta really, or I'd be disappointed. Darkness mechanics are cool, but I'll bet they get old after about 5 minutes; they did in the tomb of the giants.

And this is why people should stop pre-ordering games. The entire business plan of today's publishers depends on pre-orders, so of course they're gonna try to deceive you into pre-ordering. And this is a PC game for fuck sake. It's available digitally at any time. You don't need to pre-order it. It isn't going anywhere.

It's unfortunate to see a promising PC game get held back by the consoles.

I didn't really care until I read how the dynamic lighting system was tied into gameplay. Shiny graphics I can do without but when a central mechanic is just removed I get a bit miffed. Think I'll pass on this for the time being.

Glaice:

bullshots[1] have been a standard practice for years now. i remmeber seeing them back in 2006 for games like Mafia II and so on. Its really whats strange is that they actually went back and fixed it afterwards. thats the first time i heard about company caring for honesty to that level.

The Lunatic:
It's unfortunate to see a promising PC game get held back by the consoles.

Unfortunate but not unexpected. Basically anything that came out on 360/PS3 for last 3 years were holding the PC version back.

gittonsxv:

or is the engine so wonky that they just can not get a good frame rate even on pc but then again how did they make the trailers and beta gameplay if that was the case...

Was beta gameplay live? because trailers can be prerendered quite easily to the point of allowing it to render the script for a day or needed. (and more, ect)

[1] A technical term for bullshit screenshot

I played the beta on PS3. I was sad to see the downgrade visually. But I'm not sad that the game isn't as dark. Torches sound cool in concept, but it made using bows nearly impossible because you have to two-hand bows. And there's still a super dark Tomb of the Giant like area in the game and I don't think anyone will say they wished everywhere was that dark.

Also while comparing the beta to the retail I can also say that the retail game plays much much faster than the beta did. This is probably the reason for the downgrade. Dark Souls played slower than Demon's Souls, Dark Souls 2 Beta played slower than Dark Souls but retail Dark Souls 2 plays as fast as Demon's Souls.

Torches and light still play a role in the game but it is no longer a dominate mechanic in the game.

On the screenshot changes I think it is far more ethical of Bamco and From to change the old screenshots on the steam page instead of leaving them up and being deceptive.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here