Star Citizen Won't Sell Out, Chris Roberts Says

Star Citizen Won't Sell Out, Chris Roberts Says

Star Citizen screen

Chris Roberts says he has no interest in handing Star Citizen over to a big company with deep pockets, and with $41 million in crowdfunding he doesn't need to, either.

The backlash against Facebook's acquisition of Oculus VR was swift and sustained, particularly among Kickstarter backers, many of whom felt betrayed by the move from "indie darling" to "big money machine." That inspired Chris Roberts, the man behind the most successful video game crowdfunding effort of all time, to assure his supporters that Cloud Imperium Games isn't looking for a similar deal.

That's not to say that he doesn't understand why Oculus VR did what it did. "In order for the Rift to succeed, it really needed a lot more funding than it has raised from its past two VC rounds. Hardware is expensive," he wrote. "It's one thing to perfect the technology, but before you can sell a single Rift, you need to spend hundreds of millions on manufacturing and building a supply chain if you intend to make the Rift (and Virtual Reality) relevant for the mass market."

Nonetheless, he went on to state that he's not looking for a similar deal for Star Citizen. "We have no plans nor interest in following this path! We don't need to go to anyone with deep pockets to make OUR dream a reality," he continued. "To mass-produce hardware like the Rift, you need an outlay of hundreds of millions of dollars. Luckily our ships are digital so we have hardly any cost of goods, just the cost of developing the universe of Star Citizen and running servers that Star Citizen's universe will be simulated on. Thanks to the generosity of the Star Citizen community we have these two things covered."

That's putting it mildly: Roberts also announced that Star Citizen crowdfunding has hit $41 million, which will allow the studio to begin begin working on advanced procedural generation "to help build the universe out in a greater detail and scope in ways we didn't think possible when we started developing the game."

Source: Roberts Space Industries

"HM, IT SEEMS LIKE IT'S APRIL FIRST, OH WELL I GUESS I SHOULD ANNOUNCE THAT I DON'T PLAN ON EVER SELLING OUT"

Seriously, he couldn't hold on for like 24 hours?

I don't mind if they are selling out, as long as it is only after they have independently delivered the Star Citizen game that they sold in Kickstarter, just like Oculus did with the rift Devkits.

Funnily enough, TheMittani.com's April Fools joke was that Star Citizen had been sold to Facebook.

sid:
"HM, IT SEEMS LIKE IT'S APRIL FIRST, OH WELL I GUESS I SHOULD ANNOUNCE THAT I DON'T PLAN ON EVER SELLING OUT"

Seriously, he couldn't hold on for like 24 hours?

The original statement on the RSI website dates the announcement as occurring yesterday. The Escapist only reported it today.

As a feelancer level backer... I can say I wasn't worried about this at all.

As an impatient man child...

WHERE IS MY DOG FIGHTING MODULE!

Gimmie Gimmie Gimmie!

Why make a public statement about this? I don't recall anyone accusing Cloud Imperium of being on the verge of selling out. So far, they've been astoundingly successful as a crowdsourced company, one which I suspect could be of great interest to business and economics students in the years to come.

Blarg Blargson:
Why make a public statement about this? I don't recall anyone accusing Cloud Imperium of being on the verge of selling out. So far, they've been astoundingly successful as a crowdsourced company, one which I suspect could be of great interest to business and economics students in the years to come.

It's only being said because Oculus Rift sort of destabilized the trust market.

"Luckily our ships are digital so we have hardly any cost of goods, just the cost of developing the universe of Star Citizen and running servers that Star Citizen's universe will be simulated on.

Emphasis added.

Technically true. There are no expenses associated with the production of their goods other than the electricity used during rendering and downloading. But so long as you are selling a product at a profit, you can often cover the cost of goods sold on credit. Oculus VR hadn't even reached that point in their product cycle.

But there are certainly quite a lot of development costs for Star Citizen. In fact, they were rather quick to announce that the design of each ship in the game ran upwards of $35,000.00 each.

http://www.vg247.com/2013/06/28/star-citizen-ship-assets-cost-upwards-of-35000-each/

I bet if offered $2 billion, they'd think long and hard about how many digital resources they could generate with those funds.

In the meantime, it's good to remember: Corporate promises are like assholes. Full of shit.

Blarg Blargson:

Some site made an April fools joke about EA buying Cloud Imperium. I guess he may have received enquiries from people who missed the joke and felt a need to set the record straight.

Draconalis:
As an impatient man child...

WHERE IS MY DOG FIGHTING MODULE!

Gimmie Gimmie Gimmie!

As someone who can handle the wait...

PUSH IT BACK FURTHER TO MAKE IT BETTER!

Waiting waiting waiting! :D

OT: If CR ever sold Star Citizen, I'm pretty sure I would legitimately throw a monitor out of a window. Not joking.

But I never have to worry about that so thinking about that is pointless. =P

Blarg Blargson:

The $12 million funding goal promised occulus rift support for the dog fighting module. There had also been constant talk(and speculation) on the official forums about Facebook buying occulus and how it would affect star citizen. Chris Roberts just came out to calm a vocal minority.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here