Report: Star Wars Episode VII May Return to Tatooine

Report: Star Wars Episode VII May Return to Tatooine

Shooting will begin May 14th in Morocco, if the rumour mill speaks sooth.

Once upon a time in Morocco there was a budding young film director, George Lucas by name, who built a bunch of sets out in the desert and called it Tatooine. If reports are to be believed, J.J. Abrams intends to return to Lucas' old Moroccan haunts, and start filming May 14th. A May date isn't much of a surprise - Disney's already made it very clear that this one will STICK TO THE SCHEDULE OR EVERYONE INVOLVED WILL BE SHOT, and May was always part of the schedule - but a return to Morocco is a very interesting idea.

Lucas' old sets are still there, more or less, as you can see in the gallery, and if Morocco is on the schedule then presumably so is Tunisia, since those are the two places the original's Tatooine scenes were shot. The sets' weatherbeaten look may even be an asset, depending on what Abrams has in mind for them. As for how much reliance should be placed on these news nuggets, who knows? This is a film almost nobody apart from Abrams - and presumably Disney - knows anything about.

Not a single cast member has been confirmed, though there are plenty of names being talked about. There is a script, and if Abrams' hints are any indication the old gang - Ford, Fisher and Hamill - will be reprising their iconic roles. But as for what they're doing, and where, your guess is as good as anyone else's.

Sources: images Ra di Martino via Feature Shoot, Collider

I didn't think my anticipation could go down anymore, but it just did.

*sigh*

Why is it always Tatooine?

You know, I think there's still a lot of potential for Tatooine. Unfortunately, we haven't really seen any of it yet, so I'm not holding my breath for this time around.

Do they even have a script yet? Or are they just going to wing this motherfucker?

I wouldn't mind at all if they revisited Tatooine, but after 20 years of living in the fandom I know how much of a crutch it can be. Star Wars boasts entire galaxies full of millions of varied and inhabitable planets, but for all of that every single frikkin' important event in the known universe only ever seems to happen on 3 of them.

I'm hoping that the new trilogy will actually go to new and interesting locations, not just revisit IV-VI with extra lens flare. It will be hard to fall lower than the prequels, but we're talking about the guy who took the campiest sci-fi show ever and turn it into a CG-infested love triangle. At least some of the boys were cute :\ (I don't hate the new Star Treks, but they certainly have a vast, wasted potential)

MinionJoe:
Do they even have a script yet? Or are they just going to wing this motherfucker?

Karloff:
There is a script

I'm just going to assume you missed this when reading, because people on the internet would NEVER read a title then jump straight to the comments to complain about things.

TiberiusEsuriens:

I'm just going to assume you missed this when reading, because people on the internet would NEVER read a title then jump straight to the comments to complain about things.

Sooooo... They say they have a script but they're not sure if it calls for going back to Tatooine or not?

Oh well, J.J. Abrams said on the internet that they have a script. Must be true.

Captcha: smelling salt

Yeah. Someone could definitely use some. Thanks, Captcha.

Ep 1 Tatooine
Ep 2 Tatooine
Ep 3 Tatooine
Ep 4 Tatooine
Ep 6 Tatooine

Good job we never go to that planet then or this would start to see repetitive!

MinionJoe:

Sooooo... They say they have a script but they're not sure if it calls for going back to Tatooine or not?

Umm, the people involved with the movie have said they have a script. The Writer Of The Article doesn't know if Tatooine is going to be used or not. I'm not sure how you jumped to that meaning the people behind the movie don't know.

If I were making an epic sci-fi masterpiece, one with a huge following and I would assume a large budget, and some of the best effects people in the industry...I could probably do better location-wise than more fucking desert.

We have those on Earth. Big, sandy, desolate, maybe some rocks, and a vaguely Arabian city. Yeah, we have those already. You've even featured them in these movies several times over.

I mean for episode 5 they blew our minds with SNOW and ICE right? And episode 6 had a FOREST!! That is some first class imagineering am I right?

I'm kidding mostly, but I always thought it was strange that Star Wars (at least the live action portion) featured some of the most boring locations in sci-fi.

How about a planet with lower gravity? Imagine some amazing aerial lightsaber battles, not that Yoda didn't already kind of have that going on...but you get my point.

They don't need to be like Metroid, I mean Serenity made otherwise normal locations feel sci-fi without actually having aliens or (for the most part) any high tech weaponry etc.

If nothing else, the fact that for the first time in over 30 years we won't already know the ending is awesome. Anyone we see could be a sith, or worse, or whatever. Its no longer predetermined who the bad guy is, how he got to power, and who he screws over along the way.

You know. If we just forget the prequels for a moment, Tatooine appears in just two-thirds of the series. I don't mind revisiting the place. Heck, I wouldn't care if the entire movie was set there. I know Star Wars is mostly about adventure, cool characters and new worlds, but that doesn't mean a setting like Tatooine doesn't work. There is a reason it's so iconic.

Then again, I just expect this movie to be pretty. My story expectations are as low as they get.

I just hope they break canon so much that the prequels don't count anymore.

This movie just seems like its going for the "what fans want" or "what is starwars, lets add lots of nods to 4 - 5". Dont know why im surprised, the new ST2 movie just ripped off Khan from the original ST2 instead of telling a new story based on the entire ST universe/characters.

We already know that outside of Solo, Leia and Luke, R2D2 and maybe Chewbecca may be in it. I dont want a fan movie. I want an all new movie that uses new characters without having to make connections to the other movies. Its SWs, it will sell on its own, it doesnt need a connection to the original series to be a success.

Because JJ Abrams is overrated; he reuses old things and plugs in his empty mystery box to try make it appear that it's special and different and new.

Wait for Hoth in the second and the Forest Moon of Endor in the third.

Better idea: Go to Alderaan. You say you can't go to a planet that doesn't exist anymore? Hogwash! The new Republic make The Life Star which is in essence a reverse Death Star, so it brings Alderann and all it's people back to life. Now where's my academy award for best screenplay?

I'd be more stoked about these new films but alas every thing they've said pretty much falls in line with 'tonguing the fandom's balls'. There is an entire Galaxy going on out there and we're back to the same couple people? Really? Heck a smart writer would have done a parallel Trilogy... which would have been another trilogy that was going on in another part of the galaxy at the same time as the original.

This would have been interesting and a big plus because it would actually flesh out the universe a little more

So my Arrakis theory is still viable..

It reminds me of playing Star Wars Galaxies. Most of that game took place on Tatooine lol.

Brian Tams:

Well, 5/6 prior movies had key events take place on Tatooine, and the harsh planetary and social environment make the setting ideal for training experienced Padawan or hiding out.

Although, personally, I think more Moon of Endor like forest environments would be preferable.

This movie is going to be a huge failure. They are spending too much time worrying about fan nostalgia and not enough on just driving a good story. It's F'n STAR WARS!!! You don't need to pay any fan service, just use the universe and build an awesome story within it.

It just seems like they are forcing the story rather than allowing the story to take place.

Or, I don't know, maybe Tatooine actually works for the story they want to tell.

Besides, Star Wars is the progenitor of contrived space destiny. Might as well return to where it all began... provided that it is somehow relevant.

KoudelkaMorgan:

I mean for episode 5 they blew our minds with SNOW and ICE right? And episode 6 had a FOREST!! That is some first class imagineering am I right?

I'm kidding mostly, but I always thought it was strange that Star Wars (at least the live action portion) featured some of the most boring locations in sci-fi.

And 1 had MORE Forest and UNDERWATER areas. Episode 2 had Tatooine's desert another planet with a desert and an ARENA. Episode 3 had the LAVA planet while glancing over the more interesting locals. They all have the SPACE SHIP areas. So all they need is the sewer area and the 9 Star Wars films will fit into TV Trope's Video Game Settings page perfectly.

How about a planet with lower gravity? Imagine some amazing aerial lightsaber battles, not that Yoda didn't already kind of have that going on...but you get my point.

If Abrams and Co. had brains, they'd do this right. But I doubt they'd bother with real effort and just CGI the hell out of it, if they did do something interesting like low gravity. BTW thanks, George, for waiting 20 years for technology to "catch up to your vision." You should've filmed them back when special effects were done with hand crafted models and sets, not with a copy of Adobe©®TM After Effects©®TM. It was long enough for Abrams to be in right place and time to be at the helm of two major sci-fi franchises.

Nuxxy:
Because JJ Abrams is overrated; he reuses old things and plugs in his empty mystery box to try make it appear that it's special and different and new.

Wait for Hoth in the second and the Forest Moon of Endor in the third.

It's even worse than that. He plays on the audence's nostalgia for the property he's currently wringing money out of. That mystery box you speak of is either empty or full of dung. And Disney had given him permission, nay, demanded him to sucker everyone in with the nostalgia bait of the better films. Then he'll smear the mystery stuff all over Star Wars, just like he did to Star Trek. I'd bet they're still fighting the Imperial Remnant well into Ep. 9, while repeating the original trilogy's story quite like Tron: Legacy followed the broad strokes of the original Tron.

It's shooting next month and they haven't announced a cast yet? Is that normal?

I mean, presumably *they* know who's going to be in it, but why keep such a tight lid on the information?

Abrams reusing old shit to milk people's nostalgia and make an ultimately mediocre movie? No shit!

God, for fucks sake, NO. Enough with fucking Tatooine.

Dark Horse Comics used to have a sign up in their Star Wars department that said "STAY THE FUCK AWAY FROM TATOOINE", because they were tired of every single comic using the same planet over and over.

Question? Has there actually been any information about this upcoming movie that appeased the fans? (no not having jar jar blinks in it doesn't count.)

I mean this film is beginning to sounds like something that should be a 15 minute montage opening sequence rather than a jaw closing 2 hour long action romp.

Everything that is coming out of jAr jAr Brams makes this seem like the worse movie sequel ever. With no respect to fans, or to the already cemented and fleshed out lore + extended cannon.

"If there's a bright centre of the universe you're on the planet that it's farthest from." One of Luke Skywalker's earliest lines. Our galaxy contains at least 200,000,000,000 stars. The Andromeda galaxy contains over 1,000,000,000,000.

Taking all this into account, why why why why why do we keep going back to fucking Tatooine? RotJ was understandable, it made sense both for the plot and for Luke's character development. But the amount of shit that has happened there according to the prequels and the expanded universe should make it one of the most well known and important planets in the galaxy, not the obscure backwater it is supposed to be. You don't even need to come up with new planets if you suffer from the utter lack of creativity this tendency indicates. There are plenty of interesting planets already established that the films have never even mentioned. Mandalore, Manaan, Korriban, Ziost, Rhen Var, Dromund Kaas, Tython, Ryloth, Bothawui, Nar Shadaa, Mon Calamari, Lehon. But nope, it's Tatooine, a-fucking-gain, and I'm willing to bet we'll visit Yavin IV, Hoth, Dagobah, Bespin and bloody Endor again (all of which are also supposed to be obscure backwaters that people keep visiting and where important events keep happening).

Honestly, I think this is a bad sign. Between this and the their stated desire to put the original actors into the spot light this seems less like it's going to be a new and exciting Star Wars trilogy and more "Hey, remember this?" the movie.

Ickabod:
This movie is going to be a huge failure. They are spending too much time worrying about fan nostalgia and not enough on just driving a good story. It's F'n STAR WARS!!! You don't need to pay any fan service, just use the universe and build an awesome story within it.

It just seems like they are forcing the story rather than allowing the story to take place.

So have you read the script?

So if it has a scene on Tattoine then it can already be marked down as a failure?

Stop jumping to conclusions and att least wait until more info comes out or the first trailer...I seriously doubt if a scene or two on Tattoine will ruin the whole thing.

mattttherman3:
Better idea: Go to Alderaan. You say you can't go to a planet that doesn't exist anymore? Hogwash! The new Republic make The Life Star which is in essence a reverse Death Star, so it brings Alderann and all it's people back to life. Now where's my academy award for best screenplay?

If this happens, I will find you, and I will be most displeased with you... :-)

Brian Tams:
I didn't think my anticipation could go down anymore, but it just did.

*sigh*

I know, right? There's nothing there. Luke literally says it: "There's nothing here for me now." It is a big desert planet. Now, if we pull in the lore for KOTOR and how it has a hidden history and was actually once a lush jungle world, that could be interesting, but we all know that's not going to happen.
Please don't be podding racing. Please please please...

Oh, no. This movie is going back to the home planet of Darth Vader and Luke Skywalker. What are they thinking?

Well, maybe the planet that he lived on does finally hold something of relevance to Luke? Maybe he wants to pay his respects to his dead family? Or there's something in Obi-Wan's old home that he might need, like a holocron? Perhaps they are trying to end the practice of slavery on the planet? Or deal with the Hutts. It could be a 10 minute scene in a larger movie. Who knows?

I'll wait and see. I honestly don't care if this "movie is gunna suck". I've been watching these movies since I was a kid. I'm going to watch this movie. Maybe I'll go see it with my family, while I'm at it.

Brian Tams:

yeah I have to ask that as well. Isn't there other more interesting places in the star wars universes they can be at instead?

If I remember correctly Tatooine was in episode 1, 2, 4, and 6. I would think Tatooine was used enough already but I guess I am wrong. or maybe JJ Abrams is wrong and this will not be a very good idea. Only time will tell

Luke and his dad spent the first halves of their respective first movies trying to get off that freaking planet. Why? Because deserts, being deserts, are not known for excitement. They are known for dehydration and boredom.

Oh, biggs was right. I'm never going to get out of here!

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here