FTL: Faster Than Light - Advanced Edition Out Now - Update

Pages 1 2 NEXT

FTL: Faster Than Light - Advanced Edition Out Now - Update

The Advanced Edition adds new ships, enemies, events, and weapons, and is available as a free update for owners of the game.

Update: It looks like the Steam version of the update is now live - all you need to do is log into Steam and it should automatically update.

Original Story: Today is a good news day for iPad owners. The Advanced Edition of Subset Game's fantastic little indie roguelike FTL: Faster Than Light is now available, as a free update for anyone who already owned the game on PC, or for $10 on the iPad store. The iPad version of the game will require an iPad version 2 or higher. "We are proud to say that the iPad version is a true equivalent to the PC in the experience it provides, which is why we are price matching to the PC version," said Subset Games in an official statement.

The Advanced Edition was announced back in November last year and promised to bring the original game, along with a rather hefty update, to iPads sometime in 2014. The iPad version is, unfortunately, unable to connect to PC versions of the game to share the same save game or profile data

FTL: Faster Than Light started its life as a Kickstarter project. Previously announced features of the Advanced Edition include the The Lanius, a new Alien race complete with their own unique ship, as well as several new features including clone bays and hacking. Some other minor tweaks that Subset announced were some visual upgrades to quests, as well as the addition of a "Hard" difficulty level.

As of now, it looks like the Advanced Edition update hasn't quite hit the Steam version of the game yet, although it should come soon. All DRM free editions (from the Subset Games website or GOG.com) will require downloading the game again through the same method as originally downloaded.

Sweetness! More FTL is always welcome. The game is awesome, even though it takes my ass and beats me with it even on the easiest difficulty most of the time.

It says something about a game when both the casual parent and the gamer kids are both excited for the same release.

I expect many more hours of mayhem, explosions and asphyxiation to come.

A hard mode. Emasculate me a little more, why don't you?

I assume, the Steam-Version hasn't been updated yet because it's not the usual update-time yet. Might change in about 7 hours 30.

Yesssss. I have gotten too good at this game, it's time to get my ass handed to me again.

welp, time to lose 2 more dozens of hours on this

Bindal:
I assume, the Steam-Version hasn't been updated yet because it's not the usual update-time yet. Might change in about 7 hours 30.

That means it'll be ready when I get in from work tonight. Perfect!

unstabLized:
Sweetness! More FTL is always welcome. The game is awesome, even though it takes my ass and beats me with it even on the easiest difficulty most of the time.

I cheat a lot in single-player games. For FTL, I played on easy and gave myself infinite funds. The game *still* beat me most of the time, but was a much more "casual" enjoyable experience.

The thing that I hated most about FTL is that it downright lies to you - on get-go, you've told to hurry the heck up, and then in the end you're given an enemy you have no chance of beating unless you take your time to gather upgrades to your ship.

edit: they've changed the text so it doesn't lie anymore =)

Maybe with hacking and clone bays I might be able to finally beat FTL. A man can dream...

steam pls, update so that I can enjoy the greatness that is FTL

My body is ready

Come on steam version, I am itching to get blown to bits in outer space again, but this time with more stuff to keep track off.

So now it has new things to frustrate the ever loving crap out of me? Neat-o. I don't think I've ever enjoyed playing a game that makes me want to punch my monitor so much. Curse you, FTL!!!!!!!

does anyone know if old save files can be used, or do you have to start from scratch?

FTL update is now live, you are clear to die, say again, you are clear to die..... have a nice day.

Free update? I give my +1 to this developer.

How do you update the game? I don't have the Steam version, but the Stand-Alone file! How do I do it?

O maestre:
does anyone know if old save files can be used, or do you have to start from scratch?

dont know if its too late and you have already figured it out but on the gog version you had to uninstall and then load up new game. there was an option when uninstalling to keep save game and it was all there when loaded up new version.

I have a question: does this game have any kind of story at all? I played a game similar to this on ios called "Out There" and the story was incredible especially the ending.

ExtraDebit:
I have a question: does this game have any kind of story at all?

Yes. ...A little. And a few more tidbits in various quests. But, basically the main story amounts to a few paragraphs, a boss fight, and not much more.

ExtraDebit:
I played a game similar to this on ios called "Out There" and the story was incredible especially the ending.

FTL has many incredibly fine features. I'm not sure I'd rate its story as one of its strengths.

Honestly, my favorite story bit in FTL is just a tidbit a rebel captain might say before attacking you (paraphrased): "You'll see how much better things will be when we take over! I mean, you won't, but you know what I mean."

ExtraDebit:
I have a question: does this game have any kind of story at all? I played a game similar to this on ios called "Out There" and the story was incredible especially the ending.

The 'story' is little more than a framework. Event text is generally short and gives you some insights into the kind of galaxy FTL inhabits. It's a very fertile ground for crafting your own narrative though. (I'd link you to some of the stories on the FTL boards, but the forum is being finnicky at the moment).

EndlessSporadic:
Free update? I give my +1 to this developer.

Justin & Matt are very awesome :) And while Ben Prunty isn't an "official" dev, to my knowledge, his new tracks for FTL are fantastic.

Played a little this morning. There are a lot of things not mentioned that they've added:

-Ships can now also be unlocked by completing the game with a particular ship, rather than having to trawl through sectors endlessly to get the right combination of events.
-The interface has been overhauled a bit; in particular they now list the benefits of training skills and manning systems.
-When you go to the jump screen, mousing over a sector will show you all the jumps you can make from that sector, hopefully putting to an end the problem of jumping into a dead end.
-Humans now train skills faster than other races.
-Subsystems can be manned, basically it grants the benefits of the next power level.
-Several of the enemy ships that appear have had redesigns, there are a whole new bunch of 'pirate' class ships with unfamiliar layouts.
-Shields now also have a bar that shows recharge progress.
-New music!

I played the new Lanius cruiser and it was awesome. My first thoughts were that the weapon loadout and crewmembers made it OP: then I realised there was no medbay. Yikes.

All in all, I can't recall the last time someone added this much content in a free update.

Now own both an iPad and PC versions. Excellent title, and I urge all to try it as well.

Very conceptually creative roguelike. Brutal and fun. Tough love.

Denamic:
A hard mode. Emasculate me a little more, why don't you?

Yeah I hear you. Fourth run I had on the game I died at the first jump. Got hit with an EMP ambush fight in a solar flare area. With my ship on fire and my engines disabled and the pirates seemingly too stupid to flee we both blew up.

SO, joy. More bashing my head into a brick wall. This game is harder to beat than Dark Souls was. I ran it over 30 times on Easy and have YET to eke out a victory though I've made it to the final boss a few times(once without a single meaningful weapon upgrade the entire game).

So they show the iPad version with the kestrel exploding on the screen :P Is this a premonition?

Geisterkarle:
How do you update the game? I don't have the Steam version, but the Stand-Alone file! How do I do it?

You redownload it from where you purchased it from, I believe.

No FTL for Android? That's a shame, I guess I'll keep enjoying the PC version then.

ExtraDebit:

I know 2 others have responded to this but I just wanted to point out this. Chris Avellone did the writing for a good portion of the new update. If you're unaware of who he is, Chris Avellone is the guy who wrote the story for as well as designed Fallout 2, the Icewind Dale series, Neverwinter Nights 2, Kotor 2 and other legendary Black Isle Studio/Obsidian games. Included Planescape: Torment, a game heralded as the greatest D&D based RPG ever made.

So there may be more of a story than people think this time round.

just had my first game after the patch, man the game is soooo much better now, just being able to know how each area of the sector is conected, huge game changer

This was already one of the best games I've ever bought, and now a free update? This. This is how you run a company.

Shamanic Rhythm:
Yesssss. I have gotten too good at this game, it's time to get my ass handed to me again.

Once you figure out killing all the crew members gives more scrap, the A layout of the Mantis ship can win Easy over 75% of the time.

Other tricks- maximizing your pilot, engine and shields officers by having oversized-for-your-sector shielding that a beam weapon only enemy cannot pierce. Wait. It'll give you big boosts to dodge % and shield recharge time.

Also, I remember the "showing all node connections" being a toggle-able option in the original. I guess most people didn't find it?

Whatever it's time for more FTL

Blitzing:
So they show the iPad version with the kestrel exploding on the screen :P Is this a premonition?

No, just showing your typical gameplay.. =)

So, I have it from the Humble Bundle. How exactly would I get the update? Or do I not?

NuclearKangaroo:
just had my first game after the patch, man the game is soooo much better now, just being able to know how each area of the sector is conected, huge game changer

Um... it was already like that beforehand. With the lines and all that jazz. Did you not know about that option in the options menu? (No offense intended, unless you hate waffles of course)

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here