USB 3.1 Spec Will Have Small, Reversible Connectors

USB 3.1 Spec Will Have Small, Reversible Connectors

USB 3-1 Connector 310x

New connectors can be plugged in either-side up, will be micro USB-sized.

The first renderings (courtesy of Foxconn and USB-IF) of the new USB 3.1 connector have surfaced, and it's good news all around.

The "Standard-A" and "Micro-B" connectors won't be changing much -- Standard-A is the USB connector you're used to using with your PC or Mac, and Micro-B is the dual-head connector most USB 3.0 hard drives use. But a new "Type-C" connector will be replacing the micro USB connector every non-iPhone owner on the planet is accustomed to.

Type-C brings a host of improvements, the first of which is reversibility. Similar to Apple's Lightning connector, USB 3.1 Type-C connectors are symmetrical, and can be plugged in without worrying about orientation. Not that plugging in micro USB devices is hard, obviously, but there's no chance for error now.

Power throughput is getting a boost as well. While micro USB typically supplies gadgets with 1.1 or 2.0 A of power now, 3.1 will allow for up to 5.0 A of power. Assuming the circuitry on the gadget end is up to snuff, this means shorter charging times without burning out your battery.

The 3.1 spec hasn't been officially approved, but the renderings from the USB-IF are proof that the standard should be official in the near future.

I was super excited to here of reversible USB plugs... then I saw "Micro USB". Screw that.

I wish they'd choose a different name for the spec -- or at least the plug -- as there's no chance in hell this will be backwards compatible with the reversible plug design.

I also the read the new micro usb's will be the same on both ends and computers will start launching with the micro port built in. Now we can finally have tiny flash drives and devices than can plug straight into a phone or computer with no adapters. My life is so boring that I'm more excited for this than I should be

TiberiusEsuriens:
I was super excited to here of reversible USB plugs... then I saw "Micro USB". Screw that.

Supposedly 4.0 will be reversible

erbkaiser:
I wish they'd choose a different name for the spec -- or at least the plug -- as there's no chance in hell this will be backwards compatible with the reversible plug design.

It's not like USB micro was backwards compatible with USB mini. Besides, it has to happen to make progress. Otherwise we'd still have computers that need a different type of port for all your devices. Whenever I clean up old tech crap at my work and see a box of random cords with huge pin connectors, I thank god I live in the time of USB

WOO!! Now I'll have to buy[1] more adapters and cables whenever I get a device with this standard. Was it really that had to plug in a mini B or micro B plug for anyone? I think that standard was fine except for the lower current rating. I think the main "A" plug is what still gets people and changing that means a lot of problems solved only by loads of adapters and more extra cables to loose or tangle in a drawer/backpack.

TiberiusEsuriens:

All they have to do is make a new socket with a bigger chamfer (angle around the edge) to guide in an existing plug in easier. It would just use up maybe 30 grams of extra metal to make and the extra cost of switching cutting dies and presses over would be a one time cost. Not putting ports in a depression in the computer case would help, too. I had an old Compaq with a little compartment for the front ports and you could barely fit your fingers in to get a grip on the plugs. But nope, they still make them cheap as hell.

[1] Online and dirt cheap of course. Screw you big box stores. Stop marking up the same quality cable I can get online with shipping for $2-$3 to $10-$15. That's a reason why you're failing.

If the power throughput is bumped to 5 amps what's the data throughput increase look like?

As for needing to buy new cables, Monoprice.com incredibly cheap excellent quality cables. I've bought hundreds over the years and not one ever had an issue.

So its a micro USB plug. whatever happened to regular and mini usb plugs? oh well, i guess i may be able to use it for my phone, thats about it. my mp3 uses miniUSB (its different) and i use USB 3.0 or USB 2.0 for everything else (actually using USB 3.0 cables on the superspeed USB 2.0 plugs give amazing results). Ill be waiting till they make reversible normal USB cables. not that its really needed.

TiberiusEsuriens:

i see your picture and raise you a 4d USB picture.

PoolCleaningRobot:
It's not like USB micro was backwards compatible with USB mini. Besides, it has to happen to make progress. Otherwise we'd still have computers that need a different type of port for all your devices. Whenever I clean up old tech crap at my work and see a box of random cords with huge pin connectors, I thank god I live in the time of USB

I wish we would standardize the video output cables too. We got 4 versions of HDMI (well ok one is technically NEVER used), we got at least 3 other output devices and lets not even begin on the old unput cable variation. when you need to use adapters because your monitor does not use same connection as your GPU you realize how convoluted it has become.

Hairless Mammoth:
Was it really that had to plug in a mini B or micro B plug for anyone? I think that standard was fine except for the lower current rating. I think the main "A" plug is what still gets people and changing that means a lot of problems solved only by loads of adapters and more extra cables to loose or tangle in a drawer/backpack.

i actually had far harder time fitting microUSBs in than regular usbs. they always seem to be flipped the wrong way on first 3 tries (yes im aware of irony here), meanwhile the regular USBs can be plugged blind since you can know the right side up by touching them.

also what is this connector backpack your talking about. i got 4 cables in a drawed and thats about it. heck, it would be 3 if i were to throw away the old MiniUSB MP3 charger but its interchangable with my new one so i keep it as backup.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here