Captain America Sequel Could Become Biggest April Movie Ever

Captain America Sequel Could Become Biggest April Movie Ever

CA Winter Soldier

So far, the post-Avengers life has been good for the individual members of the Marvel Studios superteam, with Iron Man 3 and Thor: The Dark World both out-performing their pre-crossover predecessors by significant margins at the box office. Now, it looks like Captain America is on track to do the same thing.

Analysts are predicting that the superhero sequel, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, will debut with somewhere between $80 and $85 million in ticket sales in its first weekend of release in the United States; dwarfing the $65 million opening of Cap's first movie. The film has already opened in multiple overseas territories, where it has already grossed over $100 million. In addition, online ticket-seller Fandango is reporting that Winter Soldier has become the biggest April pre-sale success in the company's history.

Some are now going so far as to predict that the film could actually become the biggest April release ever, a title currently held by Fast Five, which bowed with an impressive $86.1 million U.S. take in 2011.

Source: Deadline

Well this is awesome!

I predict that i do not care about predictions, when has a prediction ever been close to being right, other then this prediction about me not caring about prediction because that prediction is 100% correct.

NickBrahz:
I predict that i do not care about predictions, when has a prediction ever been close to being right, other then this prediction about me not caring about prediction because that prediction is 100% correct.

That was as big a waste of space as my response to you here man. Damn. Now we both look like fools to like, five people. Let's make paper hats and sail on brother.

I find it slightly funny that DC wanted to "gritty" up Superman and move away from his boy-scout persona that has defined him for nearly a century, to mixed results... while Captain America stays true to its heritage and is being EXTREMELY well received.

I'm seeing it tonight (hopefully). I've heard nothing but good things from my friends overseas.

This just means I'll wait 2 - 3 weeks before trying to see it. If I can avoid a crowded theater, then I will. Perhaps the drive in will have it double featured with something.

antidonkey:
This just means I'll wait 2 - 3 weeks before trying to see it. If I can avoid a crowded theater, then I will. Perhaps the drive in will have it double featured with something.

Take a day off of work and go on a weekday morning. Kiddies and folks off to school/work. Best time to do it :D

Makabriel:

antidonkey:

Take a day off of work and go on a weekday morning. Kiddies and folks off to school/work. Best time to do it :D

This is what I was planning- catch the first morning show after release, when all the hardcore fans have gone to sleep from midnight shows but everyone else is waiting for the weekend. Then my fiancÚ opted to switch to the first showing at the last minute so we could go in a bigger group, despite my concerns about crowds... and it turned out, he was right. For whatever reason, the first shows in our area were 8pm Thursday night, which apparently, no one expected. There were about a dozen of us in the whole theatre. It was actually really nice.

So I guess the moral is, know someone who's really good at reading the locals to pick the best show!

It's an awesome movie, one of the better ones in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, I'm glad too see it doing extremely well.

Also take note Hollywood studios: You don't have to release everything in the summer or around christmas, a spring release can make money too!

I watched this film on Friday 28th Feb and found it so incredibly dull. It had a lot of action and looked fantastic but i cant say i cared about any of the characters and what was happening.

I would expect a lot of people to go see it one time only based on the first movie alone same as i did; but i would say save your money for when its on tv or the dvd bargain bin.

Oddly for a Friday night the theater was empty. People must have assumed it would be packed so early after release and never bothered!

That's really, really depressing to me.

Fucking superhero movies man, when will they go away?

In Search of Username:

I've got to ask, was that tongue in cheek or a, "Stop liking what I don't like!", sort of thing?

The latter.

I forgot that negative opinions are not allowed on the internet. Everything is good! All art is equally valid! etc.

Good, the new Cap movie is probably the best solo movie yet. It might even be better than The Avengers.

In Search of Username:
The latter.

I forgot that negative opinions are not allowed on the internet. Everything is good! All art is equally valid! etc.

It's not a question of all art being equally valid, it's a statement that targets the one decent running of super-hero continuity in movie history. No one makes you watch them, and their success doesn't warrant an up-in-arms response :P There's like, totally nothing at all to go on here, man.

OT:
Whoo. Going to see it sometime next week, but good to hear it's (unsurprisingly) doing well.

Ferisar:

Yeah, that's just like, his opinion, man. I'm glad to see fun movies in theaters.

Ferisar:
No one makes you watch them, and their success doesn't warrant an up-in-arms response :P

No-one makes me watch anything! Doesn't preclude me from having an opinion on it. It's omnipresent. Everyone is talking about it. I'm just one of the ones not saying anything positive.

In Search of Username:

Ferisar:
No one makes you watch them, and their success doesn't warrant an up-in-arms response :P

No-one makes me watch anything! Doesn't preclude me from having an opinion on it. It's omnipresent. Everyone is talking about it. I'm just one of the ones not saying anything positive.

I mean... That's... great? I guess? Everyone needs a debbie downer... Or something. I uh... What...

continues to struggle for things to say whilst rapidly losing oxygen

Ferisar:
I mean... That's... great? I guess? Everyone needs a debbie downer... Or something. I uh... What...

Are you literally unable to comprehend the idea that anyone might want to express a negative opinion about anything?

In Search of Username:

Ferisar:

Are you literally unable to comprehend the idea that anyone might want to express a negative opinion about anything?

Ever since I joined the glorious Overmind, I've found that expressing negativity only leads to insubordination and increased failure-rate on subjective thinking.

So it was promptly removed.

In seriousness: It's a bit redundant going into the expression of negative opinions as a counter-point to my disagreeing with your opinion using my own opinion.

I think we've kind of established the foundation in that :P

EDIT: Wait, I'm the one that brought up opinions. Fuck. Forget it. I'm done with this argument. You win. Fuck me and(/in) the Big Lebowski.

God damn it.

In Search of Username:

It's one thing to criticize something you don't like. That's totally cool.

This, however, is not criticism. This is just you whining about the very existence of a thing that is not aimed at your personal entertainment, as if anyone who disagrees with you doesn't deserve to have what they want. That kind of behavior incredibly arrogant, self-centered and just generally really unlikeable.

Ferisar:

EDIT: Wait, I'm the one that brought up opinions. Fuck. Forget it. I'm done with this argument. You win. Fuck me and(/in) the Big Lebowski.

God damn it.

Nothing is fucked here, Dude.

(Sorry, I had to)

Regardless, the best bit is that it'll beat Fast Five. God, that film is such fucking dross, at least this is well made.

ZephrC:

In Search of Username:

This, however, is not criticism. This is just you whining about the very existence of a thing that is not aimed at your personal entertainment, as if anyone who disagrees with you doesn't deserve to have what they want. That kind of behavior incredibly arrogant, self-centered and just generally really unlikeable.

Oh my god, who cares? Seriously, do you need to be that pedantic? The guy doesn't like superhero films, he'd rather not have to see or hear about them. Is that so unreasonable? It's not a big deal and you certainly don't need to pick it apart like that.

ZephrC:

Can I have the style manual for how I'm allowed to phrase criticism next time?

TheRightToArmBears:
Oh my god, who cares? Seriously, do you need to be that pedantic? The guy doesn't like superhero films, he'd rather not have to see or hear about them. Is that so unreasonable? It's not a big deal and you certainly don't need to pick it apart like that.

Um, yes. That absolutely is unreasonable. Who in their right mind honestly thinks they have a right to never see or hear about a thing they don't like? That's insane.

I don't like horror movies, but you don't see me going around to reviews of them posting about how I wish they would stop being made so I could stop being reminded of their existence. That would be incredibly douchey of me.

ZephrC:

TheRightToArmBears:

Um, yes. That absolutely is unreasonable. Who in their right mind honestly thinks they have a right to never see or hear about a thing they don't like? That's insane.

I don't like horror movies, but you don't see me going around to reviews of them posting about how I wish they would stop being made so I could stop being reminded of their existence. That would be incredibly douchey of me.

It's the kind of throwaway line that people say all the time, if you get uppity like this every time someone does so you must have a very hard time talking to human beings.

TheRightToArmBears:
It's the kind of throwaway line that people say all the time, if you get uppity like this every time someone does so you must have a very hard time talking to human beings.

Only on the internet, my friend. Only on the internet.

Make of that what you will.

In Search of Username:

Ferisar:

You don't like superhero movies. Check. Everyone's talking about it. Check. So, why did you waste your time? There are other things to see and post about. Let's see... yep, check. It's not all about Cap. There are plenty of things I don't like. I don't waste my money or my time on them. It's not so much that you don't like this specific movie that surprises people, imo anyway. It's that you, apparently, dislike the whole genre and post about it anyway. Why go to a thread on that subject and say I can't stand superhero movies? Negative opinions are typically expressed about things by people who were disappointed or disliked the result, not the entire genre. People who dislike superhero movies, or science fiction movies, or pie for that matter, generally don't bother to decry the subject to those who enjoy it unless they are asked about it. Were you? Broadcasting it into the ranks of fans... that's a bit odd (unless you thrive on negative attention or just like trolling). Imo, of course :)

r_Chance:
You don't like superhero movies. Check. Everyone's talking about it. Check. So, why did you waste your time? There are other things to see and post about. Let's see... yep, check. It's not all about Cap. There are plenty of things I don't like. I don't waste my money or my time on them. It's not so much that you don't like this specific movie that surprises people, imo anyway. It's that you, apparently, dislike the whole genre and post about it anyway. Why go to a thread on that subject and say I can't stand superhero movies? Negative opinions are typically expressed about things by people who were disappointed or disliked the result, not the entire genre. People who dislike superhero movies, or science fiction movies, or pie for that matter, generally don't bother to decry the subject to those who enjoy it unless they are asked about it. Were you? Broadcasting it into the ranks of fans... that's a bit odd (unless you thrive on negative attention or just like trolling). Imo, of course :)

I was just commenting on a trend I dislike in popular culture! It would be pretty weird if I was going on a forum dedicated exclusively to superhero films and derailing threads by talking about how much I dislike them. But this is just a post about the extreme popularity of superhero movies, which I think it's as legitimate for me to comment on as it is for a fan to do so.

In Search of Username:

I was just commenting on a trend I dislike in popular culture! It would be pretty weird if I was going on a forum dedicated exclusively to superhero films and derailing threads by talking about how much I dislike them. But this is just a post about the extreme popularity of superhero movies, which I think it's as legitimate for me to comment on as it is for a fan to do so.

Maybe. I would think a separate thread to debate the topic would have been more reasonable. Come to think of it that would be an invitation to a flame war... anyway I suspect you have more time than me :)

It still baffles me. If the me from five years ago was told that Captain America 2 would be one of my favorite superhero movies of all time and one of my favorite action movies ever made, I'd likely have laughed.

... Marvel is killing it at making me a believe. Long live the Cap'n.

In Search of Username:

You may be the first Heliocentrist in a Aristotelian world sir. Your ideas are too radical for us devout religious folk of the church of Marvel. But stick too it because while people may think you're crazy until centuries after you are gone, people may come to realize that what you are saying is true and you could shape the way the world views the cosmic world of super heroes forever.

Either way, let your legacy wash away your depression my friend, you may be a prophet before your time just yet!

That or these movies are awesome, and you need to reconnect with your inner child and accept the awesomeness!

OR! they will go away at the earliest 2028 because at least that is how far marvel has them planned for.

Kameburger:

In Search of Username:

You may be the first Heliocentrist in a Aristotelian world sir. Your ideas are too radical for us devout religious folk of the church of Marvel. But stick too it because while people may think you're crazy until centuries after you are gone, people may come to realize that what you are saying is true and you could shape the way the world views the cosmic world of super heroes forever.

Either way, let your legacy wash away your depression my friend, you may be a prophet before your time just yet!

That or these movies are awesome, and you need to reconnect with your inner child and accept the awesomeness!

OR! they will go away at the earliest 2028 because at least that is how far marvel has them planned for.

That's the problem with Galileo syndrome, someone with an unpopular opinion will cling to the idea that the unpopularity of their opinion is proof that their opinions are more valid, rather than entertain the idea that their opinions are unpopular because they are invalid.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here