Glu to Turn Off GameSpy Multiplayer Servers Next Month - Update

Glu to Turn Off GameSpy Multiplayer Servers Next Month - Update

"Thanks for a great ride!" says GameSpy, as 800 publishers start looking for multiplayer alternatives.

Update: EA says it is trying to keep old Battlefield multiplayer servers online, but there are technical hurdles it needs to overcome.

EA originally Tweeted that it intended to "transition those games after the shut down" so players would be able to enjoy the old titles. However it has since said to IGN that the transition is not an easy process, and it will make an announcement "when there is news to share."

Original story: First GameSpy Technology owner Glu Mobile shut down the classic game servers December 2012, saying that bills weren't paid, so tough nuggets. Then in January 2014, GameSpy stopped making its software available for licensing, and now it has announced that, effective May 31st, any remaining multiplayer servers will be shut down. It's going to be up to individual publishers whether they want to take on the burden of running those servers.

More than 800 publishers and their product will be affected. Some publishers saw this coming a mile off, and have already been preparing for the inevitable. Epic says it's already working on an in-house solution, as does Iron Galaxy Studios. Capcom hopes to have a definite solution soon. Rockstar's been migrating its servers from GameSpy for two years - as soon as the classic game multiplayer server shutdown news hit - and Nintendo recently announced it was shutting down its Wii and DS multiplayer.

Bohemia, whose modern shooter Arma series depends on online multiplayer, has said that it expects several of its titles will have "more limited multiplayer experience with loss of server browser." The list of affected games includes Take On Helicopters, Arma 2, Arma 2: Free, and Arma: Cold War Assault. Bohemia thinks direct IP connection to servers should still work even after the shut down. CEO Marek Spanel hopes to have an alternative solution via Steam for Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead and Arma 3 users soon.

Source: Game Trailers

Webby Voting Banner

Kinda sad to see this go. Whenever I hear about Gamespy I get all nostalgic about all the fun I had playing the first AvP game online back in 1999. God, I had a lot of fun with that game, and it was mostly due Gamespy for offering the multiplayer servers.

Why GLU Mobile ever brought Gamespy is beyond me.
They didn't do anything with them, only shut down their stuff.

I hope Halo on PC will find a new home.
No doubt Steam considering what Microsoft has been doing with the Age of Empires series recently.

RIP gamespy.
The very first forum I was a member of was the Gamespy Forum.
Also was one of the first clans I was ever part of GSF/OTC.
If anyone was a part of it, I was known as "Bang" back then.

Sad to see them go.

Gamespy...there's a name that makes me feel old.
I remember when they started as QuakeSpy...good times.

I still remember Gamespy's articles on the top 25 smartest moments in gaming...and top 25 dumbest moments.

It's still fun to look at, even if the list is over a decade old.

The lists aren't available anymore because the site is down, but you should still be able to find them using WebArchive.

Gamespy... now that's a name I've not heard in a long time... a long time. I remember that being bundled with nearly every game I played in the late 90s- early 2000s. I just recently reinstalled No One Lives Forever 2 and there it was.

Borderlands 1 used this thing, didn't it? Any word on what Gearbox is doing? Is that game still going to have multiplayer on PC? Or did it get shut down in the first round and I just didn't realize?

I bet Steamworks will see a lot of more adoption any time now. It's becoming scary how so many of the alternatives to Steam are getting shut down.

This also includes Halo 1. Which when I last played still had a small but decent sized player count. Such a shame. No way in hell Microsoft will update it to work without it. Would be nice if they released it on Steam or something but they just don't seem to give a damn.

uncanny474:
Borderlands 1 used this thing, didn't it? Any word on what Gearbox is doing? Is that game still going to have multiplayer on PC? Or did it get shut down in the first round and I just didn't realize?

I'm wondering the same. I know it worked only a matter of a month or so ago when I last played it. I thought that it was already working in spite of the servers shut down, so I'm kinda surprised that there are still servers up and running. I have no idea if Gearbox patched around them yet or not.

uncanny474:

LAN stays atleast. With the miriad of vLAN programs it still survives the awesome digital future.

Kuredan:
Gamespy... now that's a name I've not heard in a long time... a long time. I remember that being bundled with nearly every game I played in the late 90s- early 2000s. I just recently reinstalled No One Lives Forever 2 and there it was.

I think my uncle knows of that service. He said it was dead.

Then again, I have not heard the name of GameSpy since... oh, before most gamers these days were born.

Yozozo:

Kuredan:

I think my uncle knows of that service. He said it was dead.

Then again, I have not heard the name of GameSpy since... oh, before most gamers these days were born.

Oh,it's not dead, not...not yet.
(at least until 31 May)

Well... this makes me sad. First the browser of Neverwinter Nights and now... pretty much everything else gets the axe. It was a fun ride while it lasted (although I certainly won't miss that crappy login for some games, like BF2), and speaking of wich, at least Epic's finding a solution (for UT3, wich used GameSpy's login system), but what about Borderlands 1?.

How does this affect Star Wars: Battlefront 2, I wonder? While it does indeed say "Powered by GameSpy" in the bottom left corner when one tries to play MP, actually logging in to GS is entirely optional and it seems like people create their own servers. This PC noob just can't tell...

If it does shut down SW:BF2 though, hopefully fans can create a workaround, because we all know Disney won't.

Aw man - does this mean no more Dawn of War (1)? Anyone know if THQ's server code was ever released?

Ha! Joke's on you Glu, the BFME servers have been down for 3 years!

Oh... Now I remember why I'm sad, and why I have a dislike for EA

GameSpy is also used for Saint's Row 2's multiplayer, which is a hoot when it works. I always thought that kinda dumb as it also requires Steam and Steamworks has always supported multiplayer. At least SR 3 and 4 use Steam's multiplayer.

JaceArveduin:

To be fair EA couldn't keep running Lord of the Rings games, even if they wanted.
They lost the license to Warner Brothers, EA couldn't do anything with LotR anymore.

jackpipsam:

JaceArveduin:

To be fair EA couldn't keep running Lord of the Rings games, even if they wanted.
They lost the license to Warner Brothers, EA couldn't do anything with LotR anymore.

Oh I know, the servers went down December 2011, not the 2012 mentioned in the article. And the angry at EA bit is due to the problems that plagued the game I loved, and not that the server shut down (you can still get games on Gameranger, though you'll probably have to wait a bit if you're wanting u2.02)

I'm still not sure what kind of legal bullshit makes it where they couldn't continue to support games they'd already made though.

ugh *head desk* on the one hand gamespy is dead wooo between the security flaws and spoty service over the years i hate it... on the other hand i know arma 2 multiplayer browser can crash if it cant connect to gamespy and it will allso be a heck of a pain to get onto my Day z epoch server in the future if we lose the browser and probably day z comander with that because i will have to make sure all the mods launch properly.

Wait, the only company that's announced any intention to transition to non-Gamespy servers is EA? Odd, they're the last company I'd expect to do anything this pro-consumer.

P.S. Thanks

Good riddance. GameSpyware should have been shut down long ago. why people used them is beyond me. it literally sent spyware to your PC. Then again some people were enjoying these old games after all so it may be worth keeping it on for them.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here