Star Wars VII Has A Finished Script And Is Already Filming

Star Wars VII Has A Finished Script And Is Already Filming

Palpatine Asks U Mad Bro

Fun fact: The film still hasn't been fully cast.

We'll cut to the chase. You'll recall rumors which popped up earlier this week that held Star Wars VII would begin filming in Morocco on May 14, and further that the film may already be shooting in Cairo? Well, while the Morocco rumors have yet to be confirmed, but turns out the film actually is filming as we speak. Disney Studios chairman Alan Horn confirmed as much on April 2, in an interview only published last night on The Hollywood Reporter. "Actually, we're shooting some of it now" is how Horn put it when asked to comment on the Morocco rumor.

According to Horn, "It's all about the screenplay. It has to be screenplay, screenplay, screenplay." And he's right, as Midichlorians and erotic discussions of sand proved a decade ago. I kid of course, but this script has had a messy go of it. Michael Arndt was hired to pen the original draft, but for reasons so far unexplained, last October his work was pretty much thrown out and screenwriting duties were taken over by JJ Abrams and Lawrence Kasdan. But according to Horn, and luckily for the still-uncast (or unannounced, more on that in a sec) actors, that part of the production is locked down. "It actually is now," he told the Hollywood Reporter regarding whether or not the script is ready for shooting.

The same cannot be said for casting, however. You might have noticed a suspicious lack of any official announcement about the film's cast. Rumors have it that Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher and Harrison Ford will reprise their roles as the original trilogy's power trio of Luke Skywalker, Princess Leia and Han Solo. Other rumors claim Girls' Adam Dwyer will be playing the film's central villain. But nothing has been confirmed, and this is apparently because Star Wars VII hasn't even been fully cast yet. "[W]e have a lot of them," Horn said in the interview, but "it's just not completely done yet."

Before we worry too much about the fact that this film really seems just super rushed, the filming Horn is talking about here is, most likely, footage for visual effects and other things you can pick up without having the cast on hand. Rumors that May 14 is the official start of principal shooting may yet turn out to be true. Even so, this is a JJ Abrams' film we're talking about, and that probably means the ridiculous "mystery box" is fully in effect here. In fact, after the debacle that was the promotional efforts for Star Trek Into Darkness - forcing the cast to outright lie about the fact that Benedict Cumberbatch was playing Khan - I am willing to bet real money right now that not only has the film been fully cast, but they're sitting on the news.

Which means, let's all prepare to groan when Disney celebrates May the Fourth by announcing the complete cast, the official title, and a plot synopsis that dissembles the actual story. Let's speculate about how much will be proved patently untrue once the final film comes out in comments, shall we? My guess is that after two years of hype, when the film comes out it will turn out to actually be a sequel to Howard the Duck.

Source: THR via Slashfilm

I don't know if this is really common for Hollywood films or not, but if they actually DO have a full cast and just haven't announced it then J.J. Abrams better do something about that before everybody starts imagining Star Wars VII as a cart that's only half-done being put in front of a horse that hasn't learned to walk yet.

I can just imagine the big shots screaming ridiculous orders.

"WE MUST RELEASE THE FILM" "But sir! We haven't finished casting yet!" " IT DOESN'T MATTER! WE MUST HAVE THE MAXIMUM AMOUNT OF LENS FLARE".

This reminds me to bring sunglasses when its released.

Sounds like they're scouting for locations and shooting B-roll rather than filming.

Lens flare wars is coming. Can't wait :)

Is anyone else after giving up at this stage?
I honestly don't see their release date of late 2015 is anywhere realistic. It's going to be horribly rushed, in all likelihood....

I'd rather they spent a year on the screenplay, then tentatively ground into pre-production, but that's me talking about Magic Wish Land, of course.

Sod JJ Abrams, I'm off to play some KOTOR :P

Solve Media:

'Corned Beef'

You said it, man.

Johnny Novgorod:
Sounds like they're scouting for locations and shooting B-roll rather than filming.

Yep, my feeling exactly. That doesn't mean the cast isn't complete and they're just doing mystery box bullshit.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this common for a lot of films in pre-production? There are shots that can be taken that don't require a single cast member on set, like panoramic locale shots. Hell, they're probably still scouting, too.

You know my reaction to the fact that this is being made thus far is still a surprising "I don't care." Unless the plot is going to be about Rogue Squadron from the X-Wing series I don't care about what's going to go down in these movies. I've just lost all interest in Star Wars for the most part.

Brian Tams:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this common for a lot of films in pre-production? There are shots that can be taken that don't require a single cast member on set, like panoramic locale shots. Hell, they're probably still scouting, too.

You're not wrong. The reason this is being talked about is HOLY CRAP ALL THE SECRECY. They won't even say they're just doing establishing shots or other non principal filming. They're also doing annoying things like holding investor meetings or the yearly fan convention and not giving even a tiny trickle of information. It's absurd hype building and it's just making people annoyed. Hence my snark in the article.

RossaLincoln:

Brian Tams:

You're not wrong. The reason this is being talked about is HOLY CRAP ALL THE SECRECY. They won't even say they're just doing establishing shots or other non principal filming. They're also doing annoying things like holding investor meetings or the yearly fan convention and not giving even a tiny trickle of information. It's absurd hype building and it's just making people annoyed. Hence my snark in the article.

Because if we've learned anything from media, it's that Over-Hyping the living Balls out of your product, before said project is finished, always goes off without a hitch.

Boba Frag:
I honestly don't see their release date of late 2015 is anywhere realistic. It's going to be horribly rushed, in all likelihood....

I'd rather they spent a year on the screenplay, then tentatively ground into pre-production, but that's me talking about Magic Wish Land, of course.

Solve Media:

'Corned Beef'

You said it, man.

To be fair, production for the original Star Wars was horribly rushed due to a cavalcade of accidents, setbacks and personality conflicts. Quite frankly, it's amazing the film was finished at all.

I'm trying my best to keep an open mind free of any expectations. Having said that, I won't deny that my inner Star Wars nerd is reacting like this:

No matter what happens, I can at least take solace knowing that it won't be any worse than the Star Wars Holiday Special.

My thoughts on this make me think of Yoda when he's morose, so I will phrase it like him:

Disturbing this is. Hope for a good film we must, but expect it to be supreme we cannot. Villainized George Lucas many fanboys have, but at least with him, a priority to make a film he cared about it was.

Disney, be mindful. Let your desire for profits outweigh your understanding of what Star Wars is you must not.

J.J. Abrams, your mystery box take and up your ass shove it.

"Sir, we just lost our bridge reflector shields!"

"Intensify the forward flood lights, I don't want any footage getting through!"

(incoming image between lens flashes)

"INTENSIFY FORWARD LENS FLARE POWER!"

(image actually reaches eyeballs)

"Too late!"

So, they're filming in Morocco and Cairo. Fuck, we're back to fucking Tatooine again, aren't we?

Soviet Heavy:
"Sir, we just lost our bridge reflector shields!"

"Intensify the forward flood lights, I don't want any footage getting through!"

(incoming image between lens flashes)

"INTENSIFY FORWARD LENS FLARE POWER!"

(image actually reaches eyeballs)

"Too late!"

So, they're filming in Morocco and Cairo. Fuck, we're back to fucking Tatooine again, aren't we?

But I haaaaate saaaaand! :(

Can I ask a question? Has everybody just forgotten that Billy Dee Williams was in Star Wars now? I've not seen one damn article about Star Wars VII that mentions him. Seriously, not one article has even brought up whether he's rumoured to be in it or not. I know the rumours are that Ford, Hamill and Fisher are back, but what about Williams?

Back on topic though, I reserve judgement on this news until we know more about it. If they actually have started principle photography without a full cast, then yes they're rushing through the film to get it ready for 2015 as the Disney corporate gods demand. However, as others have pointed out, this could just as easily be a case of misdirection or filming of locations and or special effects.

Soviet Heavy:

Oh shit, I didn't stop and think about that. You're probably right!

For a planet regarded as the "ass end of space" (to quote T.R.O.O.P.S.) it sure gets a lot of screen time. Can't they mix up the locales some more this time around? They have literally an entire galaxy to work with, for crying out loud.

Wait, why is this listed under the "Comics and Cosplay" section when it is clearly about neither of those things. Shouldn't it be under "Movies and TV"?

What they are filming is likely B roll footage and plate shots for CG work.

"It's all about the screenplay."

Great!

"...by J.J. Abrams."

Well, so much for that.

To me at least it seems obvious that Disney is filming the transitional material that focuses on the returning cast members from the original trilogy, but they're still not entirely sure what they're going to be transitioning to.

Neverhoodian:
No matter what happens, I can at least take solace knowing that it won't be any worse than the Star Wars Holiday Special.

Are you trying to jinx this movie or what? Saying it won't be worse than something is all but guaranteeing that it will be worse.

immortalfrieza:

Neverhoodian:

Are you trying to jinx this movie or what? Saying it won't be worse than something is all but guaranteeing that it will be worse.

It's physically impossible to be worse than the Holiday Special.

It would have to be filmed by PewDiePie while he was drunk and angry and scored by Murda Hatchet Girlz to even attempt to reach the lower levels of the Holiday Special.

the best thing about this is JJ is no longer helming Star Trek :|

nah i kid...he's a lifelong SW geek (who by his own admission "never watched Star Trek" as that was the anthesis of what he was actually into ;) ) and i'm pretty certain the new SW movies will turn at least as good, if not actually better, than the last 3...

little known fact: JJ "instantly gelled" with his co-writer on Lost because the first time they ever met Damon Lindelof was wearing "An Original Star Wars Fanclub Bantha T-Shirt!".

point being...the franchise is now in the hands of a serious "fanboy" who arguably (even if you don't like him) also has the technical/artistic competence necessary to do it some justice...this is a far better dice roll than most.

consider, as a comparison, Michael Bays "relationship" with The Transformers and Ninja Turtles...because i don't think anyone would seriously consider for a moment Mr Bay had any real interest in those "properties" until someone else told him they could make money of them because other people do...

but that's not actually what Star Wars is getting with JJ.

i think he'll surprise a lot of naysayers on this...

and that's from a guy that hated what he did to Trek.

immortalfrieza:

Neverhoodian:

Not possible. The prequels at their very worst are still LEAGUES better than the Star Wars Holiday Special. Watching it from start to finish in one sitting is considered a rite of passage, a "trial by fire" for Star Wars fans. Everyone else values their sanity and bails within the first five minutes.

Here is but a taste of the horrors it unleashed:

Even if J.J. Abrams turns Episode VII into one giant lens flare, it would STILL be better than the Star Wars Holiday Special.

lacktheknack:

immortalfrieza:

Neverhoodian:

It's physically impossible to be worse than the Holiday Special.

It would have to be filmed by PewDiePie while he was drunk and angry and scored by Murda Hatchet Girlz to even attempt to reach the lower levels of the Holiday Special.

It doesn't matter how low the bar is set, eventually there will be somebody somewhere that makes something that sucks even more, probably unintentionally. Saying they can't do worse is like saying it can't possibly get any worse, it is tempting the irony gods.

Though I must admit, if somebody did make something worse than the Holiday Special it would be so bad it would loop around again to being brilliant.

Probably not as severe, but this does sound an awful lot like Alien 3. Atleast they havenīt released any trailers yet and atleast they have an experienced director to helm the project, so maybe it will be allright. The good news is that they donīt have time to do several damaging rewrites. It might turn out to be interesting after all.

Darth Caedus....here we come.

It can't be worse than Hayden Christensen.

Ahh stuff em all. They've already said once the trilogy is complete they plan to keep making more so IMO its going to be no better than the endless High School Musical franchise. As far as I'm concerned they can cast Morgan Freeman as senator Jar Jar Binks and Brad Dourif as a talking Centipede, I won't be watching them

Lilani:
I don't know if this is really common for Hollywood films or not, but if they actually DO have a full cast and just haven't announced it then J.J. Abrams better do something about that before everybody starts imagining Star Wars VII as a cart that's only half-done being put in front of a horse that hasn't learned to walk yet.

I agree whole-heartedly. Hollywood seems to think that by keeping secrets and teasing us we'll be drooling for more info. While some of that may be true, they seem to keep forgetting that this is the internet age - the internet always fills in the gaps with the worst possible guesses and is all but guaranteed to derail any hype train you throw at it. The longer you wait, the worse it will get.

Some things are fun to hide, but by treating every detail as a sacred mystery they really are just going to make this worse for themselves.

Neverhoodian:

Boba Frag:

Solve Media:

'Corned Beef'

You said it, man.

To be fair, production for the original Star Wars was horribly rushed due to a cavalcade of accidents, setbacks and personality conflicts. Quite frankly, it's amazing the film was finished at all.

I'm trying my best to keep an open mind free of any expectations. Having said that, I won't deny that my inner Star Wars nerd is reacting like this:

Whoah, loud pony... :P

Yeah, that's quite true, and they had George Lucas' hamfisted approach to deal with as well, I guess.
I shall try & not be too negative about it, I mean, I would absolutely, dearly love for the original cast to return briefly & have a 'where are they now?' catch up with them, but I'm really wary of Abrams' & his obsession with the mstery box nonsense.

Mind you, if it's good, I'll be first in line saying 'Never doubted you for a second' lol

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here