Simpsons Couch Gag Takes Minecraft's Notch By Surprise

Simpsons Couch Gag Takes Minecraft's Notch By Surprise

"I'm not sure how I feel about it," says Markus Persson.

Minecraft, the game that Notch Persson turned down a job at Valve to make himself - and a hell of a good decision that turned out to be - has claimed another blocky chunk of popular culture: The Simpsons borrowed it for a couch gag. Notch is pretty flattered, but he's not sure what to make of it.

"I STILL feel a bit like it's just this small game I made at home," says he. "It's so weird to have all these things happen. <3" Weird, sure, but surely no weirder than a $600,000 fan film Kickstarter - that one died on the vine after Notch got annoyed - or a Warner Brothers film adaptation, or giving away a few million bucks to employees, just because.

Also, Moe as Creeper: well played, couch gag writers. Well played.

Source: YouTube

I think we've reached a weird point where to many Minecraft has more cultural relevance than the Simpsons in it's current form.

And this scene will be fully re-created in minecraft more than likely before I even finish typing this comment.

Maybe I just need to play Minecraft, but that gag was pretty lacklustre for me.

That said, I think The Simpsons has been rubbish for years now so *shrugs*.

Scrumpmonkey:
I think we've reached a weird point where to many Minecraft has more cultural relevance than the Simpsons in it's current form.

I was going to say "but The Simpsons has a Lego set!" but I recall Minecraft had Lego sets well before The Simpsons did. So... how about that.

Simpsons is still a commercial powerhouse, though, definitely moreso than Minecraft. People still buy into The Simpsons even as its decried as a shadow of its former self. Until people start criticizing and ignoring it, it's got relevance in spades.

That is adorable. Now I both want to watch The Simpsons and play Minecraft. Grr, choices.

Moe as a creeper was the good part of that.

Otherwise it was worse than Minecraft, like one of the million knockoffs.

Ah, The Simpsons. Butt-raping popular culture for years just for material to be unfunny with.

Why can't you do an episode without any celebrity cameos, throwaway characters or plots you ripped off of short-lived sitcoms nobody remembered, Simpsons... whyyyyy.....

Moe as a creeper was indeed well played, however.

Well folks time to pack up shop and go home, Minecraft is officially dead now. Once you get referenced on The Simpsons it's over :P

Also somebody really needs to tell The Simpsons writers that just pointing out a thing exists isn't a joke.

Hazy992:
Well folks time to pack up shop and go home, Minecraft is officially dead now. Once you get referenced on The Simpsons it's over :P

I think you're confusing The Simpsons with Family Guy. :P

JediMB:

Hazy992:

I think you're confusing The Simpsons with Family Guy. :P

Doesn't it kind of apply to both of these? :P Besides, Family Guy is a little too focused on the 80's :P

You think that's bad? Remember the time I lost a pie-eating contest against Paula Abdul?

That was actually terribly-executed. Like "Cowboy Bebop At His Computer Pacman Fever" levels of terribly-executed.

Hazy992:

Also somebody really needs to tell The Simpsons writers that just pointing out a thing exists isn't a joke.

One of the truest statements I've heard. I also wish they would learn that guest stars don't make episodes automatically good.

OT: Hate to copy a few of the other responses here, but Moe as a Creeper was the only enjoyable part.

I wonder how many less-informed elders thought it was parodying lego, that is, if they saw it at all.

JoshuaMadoc:
That was actually terribly-executed. Like "Cowboy Bebop At His Computer Pacman Fever" levels of terribly-executed.

Or "using names of TV Tropes entries in common everyday speech" levels of terribly executed.

Hazy992:

Hey now, Jerry Seinfeld built his stand-up career out of doing that! :P

Hero of Lime:
I also wish they would learn that guest stars don't make episodes automatically good.

Oh tell me about it. One of the worst examples is when Lisa starts playing soccer, and then Ronaldo just shows up for no reason. He says like three lines in the entire episode. What was the point? That cameo added nothing

RJ 17:
Hey now, Jerry Seinfeld built his stand-up carrier out of doing that! :P

What's the deal with chili? It's not chilly, it's hot!

Hazy992:

Hero of Lime:
I also wish they would learn that guest stars don't make episodes automatically good.

Oh tell me about it. One of the worst examples is when Lisa starts playing soccer, and then Ronaldo just shows up for no reason. He says like three lines in the entire episode. What was the point? That cameo added nothing

RJ 17:

And what's the deal with typos? Can't a guy make a forum post without tripping over his keyboard and typing the wrong word? I mean come on already!

*fixes his original post* :P

RJ 17:

Hazy992:

Hero of Lime:

RJ 17:

And what's the deal with typos? Can't a guy make a forum post without tripping over his keyboard and typing the wrong word? I mean come on already!

*fixes his original post* :P

And what's the deal with it being called a keyboard? Am I supposed to lock my doors with it or something?

Why... why can't the fucking Simpsons just DIE already!??

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here