Watch Dogs Will Require Uplay on PC - Update

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Watch Dogs Will Require Uplay on PC - Update

Watch Dogs Crash

Even the Steam version of the game will still require Ubisoft's proprietary Uplay client.

Update: An Ubisoft representative has confirmed that while the game will need Uplay, it is only for a once-off registration of the game, and any DLC you purchase. Once the game has been registered, you won't need to use the Uplay client.

Source: Lazy Gamer

Original Story: While earlier in the year, we learned that Ubisoft's South Park: The Stick of Truth would not require Uplay, Ubisoft's proprietary gaming client, i'm afraid the news isn't so good for fans of the publisher's flagship Watch Dogs. The company has confirmed to IGN that the PC version of the game will require Uplay.

"Like some of our other AAA releases, including Far Cry 3, Splinter Cell Blacklist, and Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag," said an Ubisoft representative, "Watch Dogs will be available on Steam and will leverage Uplay to support the games services." If it's anything like how Far Cry 3 worked, even if you purchase the game on Steam, you will still have to sign up and use the Uplay client to even launch the game.

It's a bit of a bother to be forced into using the client, but Uplay isn't quite as invasive as it could be. What is the most disappointing thing though, is that if you bought the game on Steam, you effectively have to have two game managers running, while the players who buy it from Uplay only need one.

Of course, this only effects the PC version of the game.

Previously, Ubisoft released the PC system requirements for the game, which recommended an 8-core CPU (uh-oh) and only 25 GB of free space (phew!)

Source: IGN

Webby Voting Banner

Ok. Info on a new Borderlands game got leaked last night and this is what gets a news post?

Uh.....duh?

This is Ubisoft game. A major Ubisoft game. As in, a hopeful tent-pole franchise that Ubisoft can milk for the foreseeable future like they've done with Assassin's Creed.

The only thing that could be surprising about this news is if the game didn't require Uplay, regardless of storefront purchase...

Vigormortis:
Uh.....duh?

This is Ubisoft game. A major Ubisoft game. As in, a hopeful tent-pole franchise that Ubisoft can milk for the foreseeable future like they've done with Assassin's Creed.

The only thing that could be surprising about this news is if the game didn't require Uplay, regardless of storefront purchase...

It is surprising because South Park: The Stick of Truth, which is another major Ubisoft title, did not require the service.

Not unexpected at all. They're not gonna backpedal on uPlay at this point, and it's actually not that bad a piece of software.
My only problem so far with uPlay is that the "Press B (360 controller) to exit uPlay" after closing a game, doesn't work if you're streaming a game through Steam.
Also, considering that many of today's AAA releases are based on console ports, which may not leverage your PCs specs 100%, the added overhead to run one or at most two game clients isn't that much of a deal.

I'm mostly just annoyed at how useless/pointless Uplay is, as opposed to it actually being bad software.

Doesn't matter how "not that bad" it might be; like Origin, Uplay is simply not going to get installed on my PC. I won't support companies like Ubisoft (or EA) while they try and force feed us excrement in the name of "convenience" when it's painfully obvious to all it's simply DRM and a marketing data gatherer (and a bloody obtrusive one at that). At this point, they can't even price themselves into my good books (not that they've really tried), it'll take multiple, public apologies and several years of them demonstrably having changed tack before I'll ever think about trusting them again.

At least this time they warned us about the DRM beforehand and not a couple of days after the game got released, like they did with Rayman Legends.

After what happened with south park, what they said because of people removing the censorship and realising how little control they have using steamworks while also realising at some point down the line that VAC bans do not simply happen on single-player games.

I'm guessing they can remove anyone who they don't like this way.

Steam and UPoo DRM running at the same time, wont be long till we have others. next we will need Microsoft DRM in order to use DX.

this is...not surprising

annoying but at least they droped the notion of "always online"

Steven Bogos:

Vigormortis:
Uh.....duh?

It is surprising because South Park: The Stick of Truth, which is another major Ubisoft title, did not require the service.

Stick of Truth was an odd duck, being a former property of THQ before its collapse and its IP holders still being the creators Matt and Trey.

If I remember right there was a court case involving Ubisoft's right to publish SoT post-purchase that was resolved somehow.

Also: Bugger.

If it is the retail version of the PC game than it having to use Uplay is fine since it isn't using Steamworks. The Steam version should just use Steamworks and nothing else. People should not have to log into two different accounts to play a game.

Well this makes my purchase decision a hell of a lot easier, especially since I'd apparently have to build a new rig to run the game, now I'll just sit back and wait for Ubisoft to get their shit together and make Uplay decent and maybe just maybe pick up the game in 2-3 years time.

Now I don't mind Uplay as much but it's annoying since it sucks up my bandwidth like crack when downloading a game and doesn't let me use the internet for anything else (Steam and Origin don't do that at all for me) and at least I can externally place the install data from my friends PC's to mine and have Steam and Origin locate and acknowledge the files exist on my PC, Uplay doesn't even care when I do that, it wants me to download shit from scratch and I say fuck that noise and it's why I never bothered installing Ass Creed 3 and Far Cry 3.

To be honest I just wish all forms of DRM would pipe down or go away, this includes all 3 of them, not just 2.

i agree that when starting from steam that you are still forced to sign in on uplay as well. so far i only have AC revelations and liberation on steam and yes, it does connect to uplay,. personally not a really an issue with me since i do have an account since AC2 but still stupid for steam buyers.
still not 100% if i should get the game. i would get the retail version anyway.

Uplay and its bullshit has made it impossible for me to play games twice now.

This is a major downside right here.

Zhukov:

How so? I am not advocating Uplay or anything, but for me UPlay was always in "install and forget, close after playing" category, it never gave me any trouble whatsoever

Steven Bogos:

Vigormortis:
Uh.....duh?

On the other hand, South Park was mostly complete by the time THQ went tits up, and since it has no multiplayer components, like Rayman: Origins, it has no reason to utilize Uplay.

Way to encourage piracy there ubisoft well done, idiots. I was still lightly interested in this but now no way. If it was just to register it or something fine but not something you should have to run at the same time as steam.

For a game about hacking the system and using it to your advantage... its like they're actively asking people to not get the game on launch.

I've 'tried' Uplay when I got Anno 2070 on steam. Hated it. It was a mess to begin with.

So I guess I'll wait a week or two before even considering to buy it - I'll need to hear some user feedback on how its working with steam.

Ubisoft need to fix Uplay, I know I am tempting fate in saying this, but a friend of mine pirated ACIV, and he told me had constant 60fps at significantly higher settings than I(he had a gtx 770 w/ i5 4670K, me, a gtx 670 and an i5 3570K, but the difference was still unusually large).

Also, to clarify, I got ACIV as part of Nvidia's free promotion they were having last year; I got it and Splinter Cell Blacklist with my gtx 670.

I began to suspect that Uplay is the culprit, as TotalBiscuit was also not playing at the maximum settings in his "WTF is" of the game (at a constant 60 fps), and he had two Titans in SLI with a hex core i7.

I seriously want them to fix it up, or to go full steamworks and swallow their pride.

Screw uplay. AC3 took me fucking 3 hours to install because of it. When it wanted to install uplay it always crashed. Had to find a bloody workaround for it. I was this close to downloading the pirated version and play that. I had bought it... cracked version would just be easier to install and play.

In summary: fuck uplay. Fuck uplay so very very much and fuck ubisoft as well.

And here I was thinking that this might have been the first Ubisoft game I would buy since Far Cry 2.

I've got a better idea: fuck this game.

This won't really affect my decision on whether or not to purchase it. I was also going to be one of the smug ones commenting "Well, duh", but then Mr. Bogos made the observation that the Stick of Truth didn't require UPlay. So, egg on my face.

In any case, UPlay has given me the most trouble out of the three major online store-client-DRM things. But, eh. If the game's good, then I'll buy it. All of the trouble UPlay has caused me has been fixable, if annoying.

But yeah, Ubisoft really needs to dedicate some man-hours towards getting their store fixed. Shit's a bit of a mess.

I knew this would be happening... Ugh.. I'm already struggling with UPlay. Driver: San Francisco, which I was trying to replay the other day, said the game key is tied to a different UPlay account. Which one? Fucked if I know. I sent a question to Ubisoft, but apparently they never even got it because it's not in my question history. On the other hand, if I want to re-send the question, I have to download the game again, just to look at the CD Key because for some reason Steam doesn't let you look at your own CD Key until the game is downloaded. I can live without Driver for now, even though I like the game, but an unplayable game in my Steam library that I can't even re-buy just.. ugh... Also, if anyone can help me and give me an idea if there's a possible way to fix my issue, please do message me :(

Hawkeye21:

Zhukov:

How so? I am not advocating Uplay or anything, but for me UPlay was always in "install and forget, close after playing" category, it never gave me any trouble whatsoever

For me its not a problem with Uplay, but Steam and Uplay. I am currently playing Assassin's Creed 3 on the PC and I have had two saves corrupted during the upload to Uplay and forcing me to start over from scratch. Another common problem I am having is that Steam won't launch Uplay properly and I need to shut down my PC and start it from scratch, its not a big problem but there are times where I loose my interest in playing that specific game while spending those couple of minutes waiting.

This hasn't happened to me with Assassin's Creed 3, but it has in the past with previous Uplay versions with the game never being able to connect to the Ubisoft servers and I couldn't put the software into offline mode because it wouldn't work.

I bought Stick of Truth because it had no connection to uPlay.

Looks like I will not be buying/playing Watchdogs for the opposite reason.

Not that I was very interested in the title anyway. The teasers have been pretty uninformative regarding the actual gameplay.

I haven't used uplay in a long ass time since it would force me to have the sync option enabled to run any game except whenever it wanted to sync a game it'd take 15 minutes to do then and crash at 98%.

Can anyone tell me if they've fixed that and whether Child of Light needs uplay? (I don't care about Watch Dogs, wasn't going to get it anyway)

unstabLized:
On the other hand, if I want to re-send the question, I have to download the game again, just to look at the CD Key because for some reason Steam doesn't let you look at your own CD Key until the game is downloaded.

Just start the game download from Steam, pause it after 5 seconds, and now you can magically access the CD-key by right-clicking the game in your library. No need to download the full game all over again, and no need to thank me :)

This game had already gone from 'buy on launch' to 'wait and see' for me, now it's 'no sale'. So much for that.

Who actually thought this wasn't going to be the case? I mean honestly? Did people freak when BF4 needed origin?. It's a Ubisoft game, of course they will use Uplay.

I guess I won't be getting Watch Dogs then.
Too bad.

webkilla:
I've 'tried' Uplay when I got Anno 2070 on steam. Hated it. It was a mess to begin with.

It's gotten a little better recently but it has it's issues, not least that it won't show your games (at least for me) if you're offline. Not really an issue for me as my service is very stable but it's annoying on principle. Other than that and Ubisoft's hopeless excuse for customer support it's not terrible.

seditary:
Can anyone tell me if they've fixed that and whether Child of Light needs uplay? (I don't care about Watch Dogs, wasn't going to get it anyway

I'd imagine it does, isn't it made and published by Ubisoft? As far as I know you can turn off syncing in settings, but I've not had any crashing issues for a while, I think they've improved it somewhat.

I'd wait till after launch anyway. I never preorder Ubi games till I know more after release on the grounds that they generally offer insultingly bad PC ports and often have issues running. I'm waiting for TB and RPS's reviews first

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here