Xbox Boss: Xbox One DRM Controversy "Hurt Me Personally"

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Xbox Boss: Xbox One DRM Controversy "Hurt Me Personally"

Xbox head Phil Spencer claims he was hurt personally regarding the Xbox One's DRM/always-online controversy since he believes Microsoft builds Xbox "for the right reasons."

Just this weekend, we reported on how Xbox division boss Phil Spencer admits some "wrong decisions" were made with Microsoft's Xbox One. Now, in Larry "Major Nelson" Hryb's latest podcast, Spencer states that last year's Xbox One DRM/always-online controversy has hurt him "personally," since he believes Microsoft builds Xbox "for the right reasons."

I believe in why this company builds products. It's one of the reasons why the whole thing around last summer with Xbox kind of hurt me personally so much...Because I know we build Xbox for the right reasons. We didn't completely communicate it the right way; some of the decisions maybe didn't land or weren't the right decisions and we changed some of those. But this a company that has the resources to really do things that change the world.

This isn't the first time Spencer has spoken out about Microsoft's failed DRM scheme for Xbox One. Just last month, the executive admitted that Microsoft shouldn't have "sugar-coated" the Xbox One controversy.

Do you agree with Spencer that Microsoft is building Xbox for the right reasons, or has it proven with its initial Xbox One DRM reveal that it's out to control how gamers play, use and sell their games if given the chance?

Source: Major Nelson Podcast via GameSpot

I don't give a shit about your emotions Phil. That was a colossal mistake and it's amazing how no one at Microsoft saw the backlash coming. A bunch of incompetent Apple wannabes.

I think, when you do something for the right reasons, you don't have much problems communicating it the right way.

Alex Co:

Xbox head Phil Spencer claims he was hurt personally regarding the Xbox One's DRM/always-online controversy since he believes Microsoft builds Xbox "for the right reasons."

The right reasons for the customer or the distributors Mr Spencer?

Well, if you're asking for an opinion, I believe it's not a communication error but a comprehension error. They didn't read their customer base correctly into what they thought the public wanted, what's a turn-on and what's a turn-OFF. Confused signals, mistaken assumptions, and no double-checking on the results. You see, their machine was made for people who needed an integrated cable television box that integrates various devices for their shows, NOT as a gaming console. Extra features on a gaming console should never overwhelm the console function. The PS3 and PS4 have alot of things attached, but they're still off to the side, secondary. They were made for gaming. It was simply a bad decision, like the Windows 8 tablet function.

Ed130 The Vanguard:

Alex Co:

God damnit! ninja'd.
Yea pretty much this. Good is a point of view. You're going to have a be a bit more specific.

Captcha: dogs and cats living togheter
I feel this is appropriate somehow

This wouldn't have been a problem if they had actually bothered with full disclosure, instead of just insisting it's "good" or "right for the industry"
If they were really good for us (the consumer) and not another hurdle for us to jump through and good for the industry as a whole, why hide what it would have done for us and complain about it?

Tell us everything, all of it so we can decide for ourselves if we shot ourselves in the foot or made the right choice to be mad about a seemingly dumb decision.

Turn it up, Spencer. If you didn't see how that was the dumbest call ever, you're kidding yourself.

Ya you see dear Phil all the right reasons for MS are not the same as the right reasons for everyone else, I know being in control of everyone sound like a real dandy plan when you are the benevolent overlord, but a lot less so on the peasant side of things.

That is why you still have trouble understanding the objections to your iron throne.

What the fuck are the right reasons?

Always on drm only supports one of two desires; For Microsoft to control its customers or to act as a security blanket for publishers. For me neither of these could ever be the right reason.

My computer does not require a 24 hour check in why would it be necessary that the Xbox One does. That is what Microsoft never communicated so it left everyone assuming the worse. I haven't bought a Xbox One or PS4 yet but when I do it has to be a PS4 because Microsoft so disgusted me with that announcement and their still remaining belief that they were right.

so they still fail to say what those "right" reasons were to begin with and then hope anyone will understand them? sorry, aint going to happen.

Pictured: The Right Reasons

They spent a year going "Well yeah it sounds bad, we never got the chance to say it right... explain it? Naaahhhh..."

I think everyone here is missing the point; "hurt me personally" has nothing to do with his emotions or mental state. "hurt me personally" means "I didn't get the six figure bonus I was expecting; it was only 5 figures (as was contractually obligated by my employment agreement)."

Doesn't it just warm the cockles of your heart when assholes like this make bad decisions, get called out and busted for them, and instead of seeing the error of their ways and admitting they made a bad decision, they play the victim role instead? Obviously, the issue wasn't his bad vision; rather, the issue is the rest of the world's failure and inability to see things HIS way.

But this a company that has the resources to really do things that change the world.

And yet they spend their time making game consoles, shitty software, and tablets and phones no one gives a shit about.

If it was for the right reasons and trully believed in their product, they shouldn't have changed a thing. The customers and the Contreversy actualy "saved" them. Instead of thanking us he wants us to pitty him? Either admit you where wrong, or stick to your first plan and prove why it should be there in the first place.

And here I thought I missed him when I threw my beer can at him...

I just felt the Xbone was too gimmicky. all the sharing and TV integration and magical processing power of the cloud which would magically speed up gaming. turned me right off. DRM was part of that turn off, but not all of it.
I wasnt planning in investing heavily in this gen as I prefer my PC, but did buy a Wii U as it seemed the most consoley.

Wow.

This makes me viciously, unreasonably, unspeakably angry.

The sheer balls it takes to defend these decisions, and say he's personally hurt that people took offence to it.

I don't give a fuck whether you're personally hurt. Those were terrible decisions, and the backlash was fully justified.

I'm still wondering how even now, they're all so delusional about the whole thing. They defended the decisions when those decisions were made, they defended those decisions after they were revoked (and called it "miscommunication")[1], and now they're bringing it up again (and all the bad PR that comes with the memory), when a more sensible company would have let it fade into oblivion to never be heard from again.

Bringing it back up, instead of letting it die Mr. Spencer will also hurt you personally. All you're doing is reminding people why they chose not to buy an Xbox One in the first place, when they might have otherwise been rethinking their decision.

[1] Or worse accused us of "not being ready" for the future XBox One would magically usher in.

That is insulting coming from someone so high up, it's a lot of words but not saying anything at all. If he would only care to elaborate as to what those "right" reasons he was talking about and how exactly did microsoft miscommunicate to us.

Because from my knowledge they didn't miscommunicate anything and we undersood exactly what their intentions were. They just want all the control they can get giving us things we didn't want and care more about themselves on making profit than making a product gamers want.

They didn't miscommunicate anything, they didn't need to, the product speaks for itself. Changed the world? for the worst perhaps.

So, just last week, he was saying "mistakes were made." Now, he's saying that he was "personally hurt" because "they do things for the right reasons". You know, it's starting to make sense why no one could make head or tails of what the Xbox One actually did and why.

"People pointed out to me that my stupid idea was indeed a stupid idea - and now I feel offended that they noticed it." That's how it sounds to me.

Ah yes, the "I'm just like you" marketing approach.

My reaction: http://youtu.be/HFZkWIfFogs?t=32s

Seriously, though, it's awfully suspicious that their bold vision made "for the right reasons" just happened to serve as DRM, and just happened to include an invaluable data collecting tool for advertisers that couldn't be disconnected (according to Yusuf Mehdi).

Really, though, I'm not surprised that they won't say outright that they fucked up on those aspects. His comments echo Albert Penello's about not being convinced they were wrong, and that their initial plans are something they plan to pursue again in the future.

Ah so I take it he's hurting over the sea of microtransactions plaguing xbox one games right now too, right? Right?
Oh wait maybe those are included in those "right reasons" he is referring to.

Saltyk:

So, just last week, he was saying "mistakes were made." Now, he's saying that he was "personally hurt" because "they do things for the right reasons". You know, it's starting to make sense why no one could make head or tails of what the Xbox One actually did and why.

Sometimes I just feel that people from M$ just need to shut the fuck up and let their action speak for themselves. If they thought xbone was a mistake then go and fix it, don't tell us what we already know: they fucked up.

Ed130 The Vanguard:

Alex Co:

I assume the latter, buuut MS being MS, can't say 100 percent for sure. xD

Mr Ink 5000:
I just felt the Xbone was too gimmicky. all the sharing and TV integration and magical processing power of the cloud which would magically speed up gaming. turned me right off. DRM was part of that turn off, but not all of it.
I wasnt planning in investing heavily in this gen as I prefer my PC, but did buy a Wii U as it seemed the most consoley.

Good thing is, Phil Spencer seems to be focusing on games right now -- at least from what he's been saying.

ExtraDebit:

Saltyk:

Sometimes I just feel that people from M$ just need to shut the fuck up and let their action speak for themselves. If they thought xbone was a mistake then go and fix it, don't tell us what we already know: they fucked up.

Yep, but to be fair to Spencer, he's been very open to people on Twitter and has generally been likable. It's like he genuinely knows they screwed up, and wants to make amends.

I'm sorry, Mr. Spencer, but not you, nor Don Mattrick, nor the 2nd coming of Jesus Christ himself will ever convince gamers that "always online DRM" is a good thing for them. It's just not an argument you're ever going to win, sir, and if you expect to be able to win that argument then you should expect to have your feelings absolutely crushed since you apparently take your company's stance on the matter quite personally.

MS: You want me to make a console to play some games? Link up with your friends and play online? And just leave it at that? But this is the modern age, that stuff doesn't work anymore. Which is why we've come out with this shiny new XBox One! We weren't getting by on having a console just for gaming.

Gamers: Come on, you're supposed to be good at playing games, man! I just want to play with my friends!

MS: And I've got to find a way to sell more XBox One's...but I'm going broke with this venture also.

G: Well I see you've got that Kinect and DRM...but where's the good stuff?

MS: The good stuff? This is the good stuff: Kinect and DRM!

G: Are you nuts, dude?!

And you get the idea. :P

Indeed, as David Spade so eloquently puts it: "Well that might be your problem. It's not what you like, it's the consumer."

nevarran:
I think, when you do something for the right reasons, you don't have much problems communicating it the right way.

That avatar gave me a chuckle.

OT: Sure, I get my feelings hurt when people lash out at me for doing stupid shit, but that still means what I did was stupid shit.

Scorpid:
My computer does not require a 24 hour check in why would it be necessary that the Xbox One does.

But Scorpid, your PC doesn't have access to value-added services like sports ball or Halo TV!

As EA stated previously, "The only people who don't want always-online are stupid pirates."

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2008/10/eas-drm-ceo-arrogance-may-cause-gamers-to-skip-good-titles

Of course, it was ex-CEO John Riccitiello that said that.

I wonder how many C-level executives Microsoft will go through...

Every time I go to a department store, I always get a good chuckle at stopping by the electronics section where I see PS4's sold out, and a shelf full of XBox One's ready for sale. I even see a sign outside, half of the time, proclaiming that the store has XBox One's for sale, and every time I think to myself, 'Why would I want an XBone?' Back in the day, I switched from PS2 to an XBox 360. When I finally get around to getting a next generation console (more games, perhaps a price break), I will be switching back to Playstation. Because of all of the crap that was pulled by Microsoft during their new console launch, I'd personally tell Phil that XBox's bad decisions hurt ME PERSONALLY. Sure it wasn't the loss of bonus salary, nor do I have some sort or religious faith that my favorite Game Companies 'do things for the right reasons,' but I enjoyed my XBox, I loved some of the exclusive titles. I even like the feel of the controller better than Playstation's, though it did take some initial getting used to.

In my belief, companies exist to make money, AND it is impolite in today's societies to say that. We like to call our corporations people (at least here in America) and pretend that they have a singular goal and are good or evil, rather than are guided by groups of people out to make money for themselves and their employees (sometimes, not even the latter). Microsoft's DRM decisions were (most likely) based on profit and controlling profits. But when groups of people set their minds to something, they tend to get a little full of themselves and find it harder to see their own errors. Due to (as far as I know) poor sales, and perhaps some awkward belief that we (the gamers) were wrong about Microsoft's potentially world-changingly awesome DRM, we're still getting reminded why I (personally) hate the XBone, even months after the non-player friendly shenanigans have all been changed.

This may sound cruel, but I wish an example made of Microsoft. I want XBox to go under. Let somebody else step up as the third console manufacturer and let everybody know the price of going against your customer base. I want game console developers for the next couple of decades looking back and saying, "Are you crazy? We can't treat our customers like that! Don't you remember what happened to XBox?!"

As for old comments about not sugar-coating the things that make player's unhappy. I remember getting VERY offended when someone from XBox, via twitter said, that they have a console for playing 360 games. It was called the XBox 360. If that's sugar coating, I'd hate to see what bitter-news is to them.

Reasons don't matter. Emotions don't matter. The Xbox is a product bundled with services. All you have to do is make a product the consumer likes and operate a service they are willing to use. Anything outside of this is immaterial. Microsoft failed to do this with the original plans for the Xbone. They made a poor business decision and are still being punished for it.

All the consumer saw was a product they REALLY disliked coupled to a service they felt wasn't for them. In my opinion post NSA leaks and in the environment of more democratized gaming its a miracle they managed to sell a single Xbox One.

While I appreciate Microsoft's attempt to back-peddle on how much they've destroyed the Xbox One's pre-launch hype and thus its current PR state, they totally brought it upon themselves.

Alex Co:

I believe in why this company builds products. It's one of the reasons why the whole thing around last summer with Xbox kind of hurt me personally so much...Because I know we build Xbox for the right reasons. We didn't completely communicate it the right way; some of the decisions maybe didn't land or weren't the right decisions and we changed some of those. But this a company that has the resources to really do things that change the world.

or in plain english

I LOVE MONEY , so last summer when our sales predictions plummeted , hurt my bonus :( because ya know we make the xbox for profit, the truth accidentally got out we had to reign in some of the craziest shit. but we are bigger than google ! LOVE ME!

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here