Star Trek's Capt. Janeway "Misinformed" Participant in Geocentrist Film - Update

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Star Trek's Capt. Janeway "Misinformed" Participant in Geocentrist Film - Update

Captain Janeway

Star Trek fans will be disappointed to hear that Kate Mulgrew's voice puts Earth at the center of the universe.

Update: Mulgrew took to her Facebook page to address criticism of her participation in the project:

"I understand there has been some controversy about my participation in a documentary called THE PRINCIPLE. Let me assure everyone that I completely agree with the eminent physicist Lawrence Krauss, who was himself misrepresented in the film, and who has written a succinct rebuttal in SLATE. I am not a geocentrist, nor am I in any way a proponent of geocentrism. More importantly, I do not subscribe to anything Robert Sungenis has written regarding science and history and, had I known of his involvement, would most certainly have avoided this documentary. I was a voice for hire, and a misinformed one, at that. I apologize for any confusion that my voice on this trailer may have caused. Kate Mulgrew"

As Mulgrew said, Krauss's rebuttal can be found on Slate.

Original Story: While the Star Trek franchise plays a little loose with time travel, warp fields, and other technobabble concepts, you can't deny that its creators loved science. Sure, each series bent the laws of physics more often than the Prime Directive, but they still embraced certain principles that scientists agree upon, like how the Earth revolves around the sun. Sadly, many are now wondering whether Star Trek: Voyager's Kate "Capt. Janeway" Mulgrew forgot that minor detail. Despite spending five years playing a starship captain, Mulgrew will narrate The Principle, a 2014 documentary endorsing the defunct theory that the sun revolves around the Earth.

"Everyone knows that the ancient idea of Earth in the center of the universe is a ridiculous holdover from a superstitious age, right?" reads The Principle's trailer description. "Modern science has proven that we are nothing special ... prepare to be shocked! The Principle, destined to become one of the most controversial films of our time, brings before the public eye astonishing results from recent large-scale surveys of our universe - surveys which disclose unexpected evidence of a preferred direction in the cosmos, aligned with our supposedly insignificant Earth."

In The Principle's trailer, scientists are shown describing how Earth's unique features make it well-suited for life to evolve. Suddenly, a geocentric-sounding quote is inserted by The Principle's producer Robert Sungenis. "You can go on some websites of NASA," Sungenis says, "to see that they've started to take down stuff that might hint to a geocentric universe." Sungenis is a geocentrism advocate and author of Galileo Was Wrong: The Church Was Right who once found himself mired in controversy for denying evidence of the Holocaust.

Those featured scientists meanwhile, including Michio Kaku, Lawrence Krauss, and Max Tegmart, may have had nothing to do with The Principle at all. "For all who asked: Some clips of me apparently were mined for movie on geocentricism," Krauss wrote on Twitter. "So stupid does disservice to word nonsense. Ignore it."

It's worth remembering at this point that Mulgrew is an actress and not a scientist. I doubt she's had any part in compiling The Principle's "scientific knowledge", and was likely only hired to read from a script. It's even possible that Mulgrew doesn't endorse The Principle's message, but it's hard to imagine why she'd be involved if not. After all, Mulgrew isn't short on work right now, having returned to the public eye as Red in Orange is the New Black.

The Principle is slated to release later this spring.

Source: Raw Story

Just... wow. Geocentrism. What an unhealthy dose of arrogance, ignorance and (religious?) anthropocentrism can bring, right? As for Mulgrew... yeah. Even if it's "just a job" to her, she should be aware of basic science and not help perpetuate such nonsense. I guess we don't know the exact content yet, but it doesn't sound good. Ultimately, it's not important that she does it, but it is kind of sad. Frankly, it'd be sad if any thinking person did it. Her having played a science officer and Star Trek captain is really secondary to that.

I... but.... how..... I don't understand. there are ACTUALLY people who still believe this?
I mean, it's not like the evolution "debate" where people only don't believe because they are too narrow minded to see more than one generation. This is basic level science here. Grab a telescope. We have satilites that SHOW us that the Earth goes round the sun, and so on.

Boggling.

At least creationist come from a misplaced devotion to the literal interpretation of the bible. This just seems to fly in the face of 500 years of Astrophysicists.

And thus, with great haste, and enough force to level mountains, did my palm impact on my face.

Wasn't there also recently a 'documentary' released about how the US founding fathers were in reality super christian who were very much against the separation of church and state?

...guh, at least I can hope that Thunderfoot rips this movie a new one if he even bothers to mention it

I remember somebody linking me the trailer last night. I watched it reacted with "thats enough internet for this year".

Seriously, geocentrism? Is this like a hoax? Please tell me that this is a movie that very clearly explains heliocentrism and is being publicized as a film that supports geocentrism in an attempt trick stupid fucks into learning something?

... at least its not flat-earthers?

While I can't really judge how harsh it is for actors to find jobs, I'd imagine a recognizable person such as her wouldn't have too much of a struggle finding roles.
I fear the day when I'll be forced to sell myself for a quick profit.

Before people get all crazy about this, geocentric just means you put the origin of your "galactic coordinate system" at Earth as opposed to the Sun or the center of the Milky Way. Its a perfectly reasonable way to define a coordinate system. Geocentrism vs heliocentrism is not a debate about facts, since both coordinate systems are compatible. Its more of a philosophical issue centered around the question "are humans special in the grand scheme of things?".

Edit: There are related questions which do have objective answers. For example, where is the center of mass of the solar system? (The sun.) As far as I can tell from the article, this is not being questioned.

Well...a gig's a gig, yes?
Though, does this mean that we're gonna get a documentary about the Hollow Earth Theory voiced by Robert Picardo?

Well just because actors did their part in a sci-fi series doesn't mean they know the first thing about it, their job is to act like they know shit not to really know it.

As for the movie... I'm just amazed of the extent some people can take their ignorance without a hint of self-awareness.

Geo-centrism?

I could wish these fine people all the luck that they are going to need with their project, but I doubt it will help.

webkilla:
...Wasn't there also recently a 'documentary' released about how the US founding fathers were in reality super christian who were very much against the separation of church and state?...

There are probably plenty of those in existence. You can certainly find clips from US news interviews in which people making such statements.

Guess those checks from Bioware are starting to run a little thin, eh?

In fairness, I don't think it matters. Janeway was clearly batshit crazy, and given the quality of acting on Voyager, I'm not sure Mulgrew actually WAS acting.

Braedan:
I... but.... how..... I don't understand. there are ACTUALLY people who still believe this?
I mean, it's not like the evolution "debate" where people only don't believe because they are too narrow minded to see more than one generation. This is basic level science here. Grab a telescope. We have satilites that SHOW us that the Earth goes round the sun, and so on.

Boggling.

You can observe evolution in a single human life span. Grab some fruit flies. How is that different?

Scorpid:
At least creationist come from a misplaced devotion to the literal interpretation of the bible. This just seems to fly in the face of 500 years of Astrophysicists.

There are a lot of geocentrists whose ideas come from the Bible. You can find plenty of arguments for Biblical geocentrism online.

Mr.K.:
Well just because actors did their part in a sci-fi series doesn't mean they know the first thing about it, their job is to act like they know shit not to really know it.

And you aren't picking up much science working a sci-fi show, anyway. Well, not the ones we normally see on TV. You could replace most of the explanations on Voyager with "magic" to a similar effect.

senordesol:

Or maybe EA is behind this.

...We blame them for everything else...Why not this?

And Janeway finally leaps over Archer to take the "Worst Captain Ever" award.

*sigh and a facepalm* This "documentary" is being made by a bunch of insecure idiots who crave attention. The same kind who do PETA's PR. Listen to Krauss: Ignore it.

All the same, it's crap like this that makes me wish global climate change would hurry up and kill our species. We're an insult to the universe.

castlewise:
Before people get all crazy about this, geocentric just means you put the origin of your "galactic coordinate system" at Earth as opposed to the Sun or the center of the Milky Way. Its a perfectly reasonable way to define a coordinate system. Geocentrism vs heliocentrism is not a debate about facts, since both coordinate systems are compatible. Its more of a philosophical issue centered around the question "are humans special in the grand scheme of things?".

No, they are not.

If you track a planet(any) in our solar system and you use the heliocentrism model it will make eliptical circle arount the sun.
But if you use the geocentrism model it wil make a weird figure 8 around use.

This was how they realized geocentrism was wrong.

See it like a shapeshifting 3d map, everything moves like it does.
If you change the center of the map, the map will form in a completly different way.
It's not like you use a imperial grid instead of Metric on the same map.

Braedan:

Boggling.

The last gasps of people who have already thoroughly lost on the facts. There's been a few 'documentaries' like this these past few years. They're just echo-chamber circle-jerks that these people and those who agree with them can watch to try and make them feel better as they ignore the facts.

It's the same reason christian fundamentalism has gotten so much more vocal and abrasive lately in the US, and has been trying to legislate literal-bible creationism instead of debating it honestly. They know they can't win, they know 99% of the facts are against them, and they're too afraid to question any aspect of their worldview lest any aspect of it prove to be false. So they're trying to steamroll on through the rest of us and just hope that something sticks. The recent passage of a 'religious freedom' law in my home state of Mississippi (I have never been more embarrassed to be Mississippian) is the same deal too. Obviously discriminatory, obviously unconstitutional, but they're just throwing everything against the wall and hoping something sticks. I eagerly await fundamentalism to breathe its last breath so that reasonable religious folk can not have the crazies ruining things for everyone any more.

Now... on a lighter note, if you want to get technical, every point in the observable universe is technically the center of the universe from that point's perspective. It's like... if you're standing on top of a tower looking down. From that perspective, you're the center of the world around you. From our perspective, Earth is at the center of the universe, because it is the only perspective we have. That isn't what they're arguing at all, of course, but still =P

castlewise:

Edit: There are related questions which do have objective answers. For example, where is the center of mass of the solar system? (The sun.) As far as I can tell from the article, this is not being questioned.

...No. Geocentricism is defined by the very notion that the Earth IS the center of everything and that EVERYTHING revolved around it. So put Earth in place of our sun and you have the geocentric solar system.

I thought this might be funny - this is the description ofn the movie's imdb page:

Another ill informed attempt at reversing the knowledge of the human race. Am curious to see the reaction to the scientists quoted in this film, I am assuming, unknowingly.

But yeah, bad humanity, you know better than that! *hits humanity on the nose with a rolled-up newspaper*

If this were a metaphor, I'd accept it as philosophy and pride as a species. However, to actually state that Earth is the center of anything but the origin of human life is...ridiculous. We shouldn't question this thing anymore. Someone gimme a sardonic response that would be the equivalent of telling a flat-earther to go on and FIND that worldly drop-off point. I need one for this.

The Principle, destined to become one of the most controversial films of our time

Or, more likely, to become 'the most underwhelming film that most people ignore and watch something else, maybe something with Morgan Freeman in it. Yeah, that sounds cool.' instead. And if they are used quote mined sources for their movie you know it's just going to be the same old bullshit rehashed for the n-th time but with shinier special effects and an extra large dollop of 'NASA cover-up conspiracy'.

Oh and apparently Mulgrew has come out and said that she doesn't agree with the movie and that she takes the side of the actual scientists.

http://www.geekosystem.com/kate-mulgrew-not-geocentrist/

So fucking what? Captain Picard claimed to have psychic powers [X-Men], murdered the king/aristocracy of England (multiple times) AND claimed to be a wizard [Shakespeare theater], and sent millions of people to their continuous repetitive deaths by convincing them they were "chosen ones" [Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion]. Hell, Captain Kirk continuously murders random people and stalks a young blonde girl, Penny, in the name of hotel shopping... which is even creepier when you think about it.

Point is, an actor's role has nothing to do with them or previous roles... unless/until they are deliberately referenced.

I should be disappointed by this clickbait bullshit, but I've long since given up expecting integrity from the internet. You're welcome for the page view and comment; I hope you choke on it.

I don't know why this is a thing still. You can't even blame creationists for this because the bible does not literally state the Sun rotates around the Earth. But, meh. Each to their own I guess. Keep in mind that she was probably just paid to narrate this. She may not even consider it to be a fact. I mean... no one in the modern world can sit there and claim it to be so.

webkilla:

Wasn't there also recently a 'documentary' released about how the US founding fathers were in reality super christian who were very much against the separation of church and state?

The US founding fathers were in fact super Christian (not that there is anything wrong with that). But clearly most of them believed in the separation of church and state in so far as they did not want to be like the Britain they had separated themselves from. The origin of that whole idea is that Britain had an established state religion, but they did not want an official state religion because it's restrictive of personal freedom. I'm sure they would have loved it if everyone was Christian like they were, but they were also not against other religions existing (the original colonies existed partially because there was not religious restrictions in the colonies like there was in Britain at the time). The original US was founded on religious freedom, which could only exist in the absence of an official state religion.

I have watched some of Thunderf00t's videos. I'm not too impressed with his ability to argue his point. He'll have good arguments intermixed with a bunch of poor arguments. He argued against the "Ban-bossy" campaign (as did I as it's fundamental ideas were based on misinformation), but under the premise of Sexual Dimorphism (which is a ridiculous argument any biologist should never make in the context it was being used). That is just one example of why his videos tend to not be any good.

senordesol:

I read this and was like "Who did she play in Mass Effect? I know Sirtis was in the first one..."

Then I facepalmed when I remembered Flemeth from Dragon Age. DAMN YOU FOR MAKING ME HAVE A BRAIN-FART!!!

OT: Sounds like dude behind this is one manipulating d-bag, from the sounds of all the people coming out and saying that he completely mis-represented them...

senordesol:

She did voice-acting work for BioWare? O.o

OT: Recent article update:

Update: Mulgrew took to her Facebook page to address criticism of her participation in the project:

"I understand there has been some controversy about my participation in a documentary called THE PRINCIPLE. Let me assure everyone that I completely agree with the eminent physicist Lawrence Krauss, who was himself misrepresented in the film, and who has written a succinct rebuttal in SLATE. I am not a geocentrist, nor am I in any way a proponent of geocentrism. More importantly, I do not subscribe to anything Robert Sungenis has written regarding science and history and, had I known of his involvement, would most certainly have avoided this documentary. I was a voice for hire, and a misinformed one, at that. I apologize for any confusion that my voice on this trailer may have caused. Kate Mulgrew"

Oh dear. The plan has already begun to tear apart at the seams. Why didn't the fools build it with a thousand and one hulls? When will they learn?!

I'm glad I didn't get up in arms about this.

2xDouble:
So fucking what? Captain Picard claimed to have psychic powers [X-Men], murdered the king/aristocracy of England (multiple times) AND claimed to be a wizard [Shakespeare theater], and sent millions of people to their continuous repetitive deaths by convincing them they were "chosen ones" [Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion]. Hell, Captain Kirk continuously murders random people and stalks a young blonde girl, Penny, in the name of hotel shopping... which is even creepier when you think about it.

Point is, an actor's role has nothing to do with them or previous roles... unless/until they are deliberately referenced...

If you are referring to the choice of her character's name over her real-life name, I think you displayed why they are referred to that way in your post - you named the roles that, for better or worse, those people are widely known for. The name "Kate Mulgrew" rings a bell, but "Captain Janeway" is more easily recognizable. Click-baiting is a disagreeable tactic, but I think the name choice makes sense here by aiding clarity.

Okay I've read this a few times and I still don't quite understand what it says. I'm interested because I really liked Voyager and think she's a good actress, but this confuses me.

I read the title of the guy's book and laughed until I coughed up a lung.

I need a doctor.

Magmarock:
Okay I've read this a few times and I still don't quite understand what it says. I'm interested because I really liked Voyager and think she's a good actress, but this confuses me.

Janeway here was hired to do a voice over for a trailer. She was mislead about the topic of the documentary said trailer was for. Escapist and others wrote some news articles about it, assuming she was totally aware of the real topic of the documentary. She responded by letting us know she was misinformed, and had she known she would not have participated.

She also clarified that she doesn't agree with the assertions made in to documentary.

Update: I had a feeling Columbo's wife wouldn't suscribe to something like that.

Geocentrism is borne of a desperate, flailing attempt to deny just how distant and tiny this little blue marble is in the universe. Earth is a speck of dust in an unexceptional star system in the backwater of a bog-standard galaxy out in the ass-end of nothingness.

And to people who need to feel like they're a special little snowflake that matters, that's a nightmare.

seditary:
I read the title of the guy's book and laughed until I coughed up a lung.

I need a doctor.

You got me curious so I looked it up.

Some of his book titles:

The Consecration of Russia: How Seven Popes Failed to Heed Heaven's Command and Brought Turmoil to the Church and the World
Speaking in Tongues: Sign of Blessing: Sign of Judgment: A Critical Analysis of the Pentecostal and Charismatic Movements
Galileo Was Wrong: The Church Was Right: The Scientific Evidence for Geocentrism
How Can I Get to Heaven? The Bible's Teaching on Salvation Made Easy to Understand
Not By Bread Alone: The Biblical and Historical Evidence for the Eucharistic Sacrifice
Bob's Dictionary of Big Words

You know the way if you try and save a word document without giving it a title, it'll just use the first paragraph of the document rendering a stupidly long name?
It looks like that was the process he used for naming his books
(and no, the last one isn't a joke... somehow.)

EDIT: Even the Catholic Church is sick of his bollocks:

Sungenis' bishop, Kevin C. Rhoades, directed Sungenis to stop writing about the Jewish people and Judaism. He also threatened to remove the name "Catholic" from Sungenis's organization, if he did not comply.[8][12] In 2008, Rhoades denounced Sungenis's views of the Jewish people and Judaism as "hostile, uncharitable, and unchristian". According to a September 2008 report in the Washington Post, Bishop Rhoades made Sungenis remove the name "Catholic" from his organization.

Kicked out of the Catholic Church for being too hostile. Now there's an achievement!

Hell, even the Catholic Church gave up on the Geo-centrist argument back in the 1950's....... I mean REALLY? I thought this idea died back then.... I had no idea it still existed.

Darkmantle:

Magmarock:

Janeway here was hired to do a voice over for a trailer. She was mislead about the topic of the documentary said trailer was for. Escapist and others wrote some news articles about it, assuming she was totally aware of the real topic of the documentary. She responded by letting us know she was misinformed, and had she known she would not have participated.

She also clarified that she doesn't agree with the assertions made in to documentary.

Thanks for clearing that up. Why does everyone hate this documentary I saw the trailer it looked okay.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here