Stephen Colbert to Replace David Letterman on Late Show - Update

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Stephen Colbert to Replace David Letterman on Late Show - Update

colbert wow

CBS announces David Letterman's replacement for The Late Show.

Update: New York Times television writer Bill Carter has finally tweeted the answer to the question we were all asking. "Colbert confirms-- he will NOT do the CBS show in his Colbert Report character." That's understandable, but really too bad.

Original Story: Stephen Colbert will take over as host of The Late Show, replacing the retiring David Letterman, CBS has announced.

According to the announcement from CBS President Leslie Moonves, Colbert gets a five-year agreement. No details were released on Colbert's salary or when his first show will air, but Letterman plans to retire next year.

"Simply being a guest on David Letterman's show has been a highlight of my career," Colbert said in a statement. "I never dreamed that I would follow in his footsteps, though everyone in late night follows Dave's lead. I'm thrilled and grateful that CBS chose me. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go grind a gap in my front teeth."

"Stephen Colbert is one of the most inventive and respected forces on television," Moonves said in a statement. "David Letterman's legacy and accomplishments are an incredible source of pride for all of us here, and today's announcement speaks to our commitment of upholding what he established for CBS in late night."

Producers and a location for Colbert's new Late Show have yet to be announced.

Webby Voting Banner

Really? Surprised CBS would choose Colbert, in light of the recent calls to cancel the Colbert Report.

Vedrenne:
Really? Surprised CBS would choose Colbert, in light of the recent calls to cancel the Colbert Report.

Publicity = publicity

I can't imagine Colbert keeping his Report persona for the Late Show though. Which makes me a sad panda.

Vedrenne:

The only people who are calling to cancel Colbert Report are right-wing nutjobs that are ticked off he's making fun of Republicans, CNN News, and Fox News. It's not all too hard, honestly, and even the Daily Show's John Stewart does it too.

I'm glad Colbert is getting a more main-channel show....however, it will mean he's going to be hounded by censors more and more.

Seems like a downgrade to me. His current show is amazing, and I don't see how stepping into Letterman's show is going to be anything but 'meh'. When was the last time anyone heard anything interesting coming from Letterman, compared to Colbert? Must be one heck of a raise.

Lol this is priceless, those humorless morons that supported cancel colbert are going to s**t a brick with this one. Can't wait for the inevitable #colbertisthedevilblahblahblah response that is likely to ensue.

Vedrenne:

This implies that the Cancel Colbert shit had any credibility whatsoever.

Either way I'd be interested to see what Colbert makes of it. I don't see him going Colbert Report 2.0 on it, so it'll be interesting to see him host out-of-character.

Vedrenne:

Eh, I feel like the cancel Colbert BS is a little overblown - people make a big deal of it in the media, but in reality no really give a damn.

That said, I can't help but feel like this is a step backwards for Colbert - I mean, yeah its pretty prestigious to take over for Letterman, sure - but I really can't help but feel like shows like that are getting less and less relevant - while shows like the Colbert Report are becoming more so ...

Dunno - just seems odd to me.

Coreless:
Lol this is priceless, those humorless morons that supported cancel colbert are going to s**t a brick with this one.

Considering this could effectively end The Colbert Report, the people who were running with #CancelColbert would probably see it as a win.

I dunno, I find myself skeptical. I had to check the date on the article to make sure it wasn't from April 1.

I think I'd rather keep watching The Colbert Report. I seriously doubt he'll keep the persona for the new show. With the different format, he'll be doing a much more standard "monologue". Maybe he'll reinvent the format, but I doubt it. Good for him though.

Oh well, I guess this means Colbert isn't running for president, then.

Does this mean that we'll finally get all of those T's at the end of repor(t) that he said he was saving from the first episode?

I can't tell if this is real or not - it effectively insta-kills a popular (despite recent crap) long-running show and sends a valuable star to another network. On the other hand, as much as I love him, CR was essentially a different-flavored Daily Show, to the point where I've seen them run the same stories and opinions on both; it seems a bit redundant. Also, as much I'd like it to be true and believe he would knock it out of the park, is late-night really much of a thing anymore? I know the two Jimmys are supposedly doing well, but isn't it more about web-friendly skits than the monologing and publicity guest speakers?

I had a real good feeling about Colbert taking over. I wonder if he'll keep up his wacky persona, or tone it down a bit.

I am going to miss the Colbert Report :(

Sol_HSA:
Oh well, I guess this means Colbert isn't running for president, then.

Just give it time, many things can still happen!

Shjade:

Coreless:
Lol this is priceless, those humorless morons that supported cancel colbert are going to s**t a brick with this one.

Considering this could effectively end The Colbert Report, the people who were running with #CancelColbert would probably see it as a win.

I dunno, I find myself skeptical. I had to check the date on the article to make sure it wasn't from April 1.

Colbert is the Colbert Report, without his unique brand of humor and delivery it would have have never achieved the same appeal. He will no doubt bring that same kind of humor to the Late Show and probably take it a step further since now they are directly in the spotlight.

Colbert was just about the only show that stayed funny during the writers strike if you remember that far back. I think he may be able to do something with network late night, but his audience immediately gets 10 years older and more set in there ways and beliefs. I don't think his ratings will be great.

Deathfish15:

Vedrenne:

The only people who are calling to cancel Colbert Report are right-wing nutjobs that are ticked off he's making fun of Republicans, CNN News, and Fox News. It's not all too hard, honestly, and even the Daily Show's John Stewart does it too.

I'm glad Colbert is getting a more main-channel show....however, it will mean he's going to be hounded by censors more and more.

Huh? Are we watching the same outrage because I'm pretty sure I just watched the internet SWJ "can't take a joke" movement try to get him cancelled. Look up #CancelColbert.

What a waste. The colbert report is great. I couldn't care less about the late show or the tonight show.

Deathfish15:

Actually the people calling out to cancel his show are SJW LEFT-wing nutjobs that don't understand the concept of SATIRE and are too humorless to see that Colbert is actually on THEIR side (which made this whole meltdown even more amusing to me). Wing nuts come from both directions.

Coreless:
Colbert is the Colbert Report, without his unique brand of humor and delivery it would have have never achieved the same appeal. He will no doubt bring that same kind of humor to the Late Show and probably take it a step further since now they are directly in the spotlight.

No no, Colbert plays Colbert on the Colbert Report; he isn't actually that person. I don't think that stage persona would translate to The Late Show's venue very smoothly.

Nowhere Man:

Deathfish15:

Actually the people calling out to cancel his show are SJW LEFT-wing nutjobs that don't understand the concept of SATIRE and are too humorless to see that Colbert is actually on THEIR side (which made this whole meltdown even more amusing to me). Wing nuts come from both directions.

It was picked up by both conservatives and liberals. Started by a liberal, and pushed by conservatives like Michelle Malkin.

It's probably a good thing, Letterman is totally losing it.

I have a feeling I'm going to miss him more on the Colbert Report than I'm going to enjoy seeing him on The Late Show

This isn't quite as bad an idea as Conan O'Brian taking over from Jay Leno was. But it's still a bad idea.

deathmothon:
Colbert was just about the only show that stayed funny during the writers strike if you remember that far back.

Plus he's always incredibly quick on his feet during the interviews.

Colbert might be getting sick of playing the villain; he's said in the past that he doesn't want his kids to watch his show because they'll get a false idea of who their dad is. Maybe he just wants to be sincere for once in his career? :)

Deathfish15:

Vedrenne:

The only people who are calling to cancel Colbert Report are left-wing nutjobs who use colbert report to boost their publicity to make more money so they can support their racist views.

fixed it
O.T. I might watch at least one episode just to see what colbert brings to the table

Ferguson wasn't interested in moving up, then, or did CBS just give him the shaft?

Brendan Davis:

It was picked up by both conservatives and liberals. Started by a liberal, and pushed by conservatives like Michelle Malkin.

Ah. well, that further proves my point.

I used to enjoy Letterman back in the day but he's been phoning it in for years now and even he's aware of it. As much as I'd love to see Colbert take over I can't picture him not doing his Colbert Report persona. His reaction to #cancelcolbert was epic and I look forward to seeing how he responds to this CBS thing.

No no no no no no NO NO NO NO NO!!!! If we lose the Colbert Report over this I will be sad as fuck

vid87:
I can't tell if this is real or not - it effectively insta-kills a popular (despite recent crap) long-running show and sends a valuable star to another network. On the other hand, as much as I love him, CR was essentially a different-flavored Daily Show, to the point where I've seen them run the same stories and opinions on both; it seems a bit redundant. Also, as much I'd like it to be true and believe he would knock it out of the park, is late-night really much of a thing anymore? I know the two Jimmys are supposedly doing well, but isn't it more about web-friendly skits than the monologing and publicity guest speakers?

Zacharious-khan:
No no no no no no NO NO NO NO NO!!!! If we lose the Colbert Report over this I will be sad as fuck

Oh I have a feeling the 11:30 slot on Comedy Central isn't going to get away from Stewart anytime soon. Look out for the Mandvi Update, or better yet they bring John Oliver back from HBO and give him his own show there. And besides who says that an hour long Daily Show would be a bad thing?
I'm sad to see the Colbert Report end. In my opinion it was always the more biting of the two shows. Colbert was merciless with guests without being a bully, but he was always looking for that zinger not just to argue his point effectively like Stewart does with his guests.

Steve the Pocket:
Ferguson wasn't interested in moving up, then, or did CBS just give him the shaft?

He has repeatedly stated over the years that he is not interested in the job, but who knows what really went on behind the scenes. Definitely nothing as sneaky and underhanded as Jay Leno's twin sagas with Letterman in the 90's and Conan a few years ago.

It will be interesting to see Colbert try something new, I'm sure he can nail it. I suppose there's no chance he can do both shows? :)

As much as I like the Colbert Report and have been a loyal watcher since the first season, I have to say it is maybe getting a little long in the tooth. Personally I think it's best if the show ends BEFORE it starts to become really old and tired, and I imagine Colbert himself is probably getting a little tired of the character as well. I think his tongue-in-cheekiness will translate well to The Late Show, and he won't even have to move time slots!

McGuinty1:

Steve the Pocket:

He has repeatedly stated over the years that he is not interested in the job, but who knows what really went on behind the scenes. Definitely nothing as sneaky and underhanded as Jay Leno's twin sagas with Letterman in the 90's and Conan a few years ago.

Knowing Ferguson, he probably really wasn't interested. His current time slot allows him far more creative freedom from censorship than the earlier slot Colbert is taking would, and attracts a somewhat younger audience that better suits his bizarre personality. He's never struck me as the sort of guy who would compromise his vision or sense of humor in exchange for a traditionally more desirable schedule.

P.S. Thanks

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or