Amazon To Acquire ComiXology Within The Year

Amazon To Acquire ComiXology Within The Year

ComiXology Storefront Screenshot

Amazon will soon acquire comiXology, the world's largest digital comics storefront and one of the top performing mobile apps.

Have you ever bought a digital comic book? If so, it's probably safe to say you bought it through comiXology. Its digital comics storefront is the biggest worldwide, offering roughly 50,000 comics from over 120 publishers. It's effectively the Steam or iTunes of digital comics, although comiXology won't be operating as a independent brand much longer. Co-founder and CEO David Steinberger has just announced that the company will be acquired by Amazon later this year, and will operate as a digital comics subsidiary.

"More than seven years ago, John D. Roberts, Peter Jaffe, and I set out to connect people to comic books and graphic novels they'd love, and we're so excited about how far we've come," Steinberger wrote. "We have long had the goal of making every person on the planet a comics fan. With Amazon's help, this crazy goal is more possible than ever before. With the Kindle, Amazon has shown a passion for reinventing the reading experience, just like comiXology has shown for comics and graphic novels.

"ComiXology will retain its identity as an Amazon subsidiary and we're not anywhere near done 'taking comics further.' We are confident that - with Amazon by our side, who shares our desire for innovation and a relentless focus on customers - we've only just begun."

ComiXology first began as an online comic book community, slowly transitioning from a website displaying weekly listings to a full-blown digital storefront. It was comiXology's digital comics apps that really helped it stand out, allowing readers to purchase issues and graphic novels across Android, iOS, Kindle, and Windows 8 devices. In 2013, comiXology for iOS was one of Apple's highest performing apps, being only one of two non-games to reach the Top 20 by gross sales.

ComiXology, like Amazon itself, recently branched into indie publishing by allowing comic creators to upload and sell their work. Considering that Amazon's self-publishing branch CreateSpace allows for both digital and print-on-demand products, this acquisition could create several interesting opportunities for comic writers and artists.

While comiXology will maintain its brand, presumably it will see further integration with Amazon's services. Although the full extent remains to be seen, we'll likely find out once the acquisition is completed in the second quarter of 2014.

Source: comiXology, via TechCruch

Webby Voting Banner

Well, time to find another digital comic store. Although the Borg Amazon will probably assimilate every internet business eventually.

You know how people say comic book villians always have the craziest plans...

Fanghawk:

"More than seven years ago, John D. Roberts, Peter Jaffe, and I set out to connect people to comic books and graphic novels they'd love, and we're so excited about how far we've come," Steinberger wrote. "We have long had the goal of making every person on the planet a comics fan. With Amazon's help, this crazy goal is more possible than ever before."

Not even the Joker was that ambitious!

CAPTCHA vegan zombie wants grains!... I don't want to know

Cool. Maybe I can get some Amazon Prime discounts on comics now too.

Amazon and Google are the two big companies I'm pretty okay with. They do some seedy shit, but the stuff they do for me kind of balances it out. Plus they're the ones really pushing for advancing the way we do things. So I'm all aboard the idea of my google glass being delivered to me by Amazon-branded robots. The future looks pretty good to me.

Mcoffey:

Yeah. It'd be even cooler if they provided some of the comics for free through Prime, like they do with TV shows and movies.

UltimatheChosen:

Mcoffey:

Yeah. It'd be even cooler if they provided some of the comics for free through Prime, like they do with TV shows and movies.

I'm all about free. It'd probably also be a great way to get people to buy more. Like, the first five issues are free, and you can buy the rest individually, or bundled together for a discount. If the series was good, it'd probably work on me.

CriticalMiss:
Well, time to find another digital comic store. Although the Borg Amazon will probably assimilate every internet business eventually.

Is tyhat really a bad thing? I mean the ability to get mah comics on Amazon sonds great to me... but yeah if we ever hear a Google/Amazon/Valve Three way merger I'd start to worry.

I use ComiXology quite a lot. So, i'm interested to see how this pans out. I've spent over 100 on comics in the last few months alone so this certainly has my attention.

there was some wondering as to whether or not this would kill physical comics or local comic stores...

unless I get a tablet viewing comics in digital form isn't really Ideal..it would be cool if they develop e-reader technology with color..but thats probably a bit far off

I probably will get a tablet of some kind one day but even then I'm not sure I like the idea of my comic reading being on a normal LCD screen...at least with a proper e reader I can turn it off when I don't need it or turn it down...

Digital comics are pretty much a non entity for me unless I can download and actually keep them (Which comixology doesnt allow), so this doesnt bother me one way or the other. Maybe this will change it, more than likely it will stay the same

With ComiXology on his side, I'm sure Amazon will defeat the Ten-Faced Demon Gorgos in no time!

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here