World of Tanks Is Building The Maus

World of Tanks Is Building The Maus

World of Tanks developer Wargaming.net has joined with the Kubinka Tank Museum to bring the legendary Panzerkampfwagen VIII to life.

The fearsome Maus may be the most ironically named tank of all time. It's the heaviest fully-enclosed armored fighting vehicle ever built, weighing roughly 200 metric tons, covered with nigh-impenetrable slabs of armor plating and packing a 128 mm gun that could destroy everything. Its one flaw: The most powerful engines of the day could give it a best speed of only around eight MPH.

Whether or not it could have been effective in the field will never be known; development of the behemoth started too late to impact the war, and only two hulls and one turret were completed before the Soviets overran the testing grounds.

The only remaining example of the Maus is on display at the Kubinka Tank Museum near Moscow. It's non-operational, but that's a situation that the museum, working in conjunction with Wargaming.net, hopes to change through a reconstruction project that's now in the works. It's a pretty big deal; because most of the internal parts didn't survive the war, they'll have to be remanufactured, which Wargaming.net promises will be done "in close cooperation with the most experience military vehicle restorers."

It's also a big deal because it's the Maus. It probably would have been completely ineffectual as a fighting vehicle, but as a grandiose secret weapon from a bygone era, there aren't many that can match it. And if any gaming company has both the resources and the willingness to make this happen, it's Wargaming.net: It's already taken part in the search for the lost Burma Spitfires and helped recover a Dornier bomber for the RAF Cosford museum.

Thanks to Charcharo for the tip.

Webby Voting Banner

deathmothon:
Maus is nothing compared to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landkreuzer_P._1000_Ratte

At least it exists
Anyway, Ratte is nothing compared to:
http://img13.imageshost.ru/img/2012/01/25/image_4f1f9c2c8879d.jpg
14 000 tons of concrete Soviet engineering!

And when it's done, they're going to tour the Ukraine.

MinionJoe:
And when it's done, they're going to tour the Ukraine.

Modern Ukrainian tanks can kill a Maus from 5 kilometers... behind buildings... whilst going at full speed :P

Charcharo:

Modern Ukrainian tanks can kill a Maus from 5 kilometers... behind buildings... whilst going at full speed :P

Why in the world would a Ukrainian tank want to do that?!?

MinionJoe:

Charcharo:

Why in the world would a Ukrainian tank want to do that?!?

Sorry, it was just that it was kinda strange :P
WarGaming, that are Belorussian, driving a captured German prototype tank that is in a Russian Museum in Ukraine :P

Charcharo:

Sorry, it was just that it was kinda strange :P
WarGaming, that are Belorussian, driving a captured German prototype tank that is in a Russian Museum in Ukraine :P

Lots of strange happenings going on in that part of the world these days. ;)

Now I have the sudden urge to watch Tank (1984) starring James Garner.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088224/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

While I may have fell out of their game, I still do commend their restoration and preservation efforts. Best of luck trying to get that damn thing to move. I recommend a train engine like the ones still in use in the states, diesel electric. It's the only thing I can think of that can both pull 200 tons and might fit in the chassis. It is what they used in the first place although it was an aircraft engine before they put what I think was a diesel submarine engine in.

Oh, and considering the thing, while it had 200+mm of very sloped frontal armor and just shy of 200 in the rear, It wasn't nearly as well armored on top. And it doesn't move. It wouldn't have taken long for an IL-2, Tempest, or P-47 to drop a bomb or rocket as near to right on top of it as possible. Given that even the other heavy tanks of the time had thinly armored tops, even though I can't find any information on the Maus specifically, I'd assume this would also be true for the Maus.

This is an amazing project, it's nice to see Wargaming helping towards rebuilding such a unique historical vehicle.

Who cares that it was ludicrously impractical, extremely heavy, very slow, and never saw combat, it's still a part of armoured warfare history :)

WouldYouKindly:
While I may have fell out of their game, I still do commend their restoration and preservation efforts. Best of luck trying to get that damn thing to move. I recommend a train engine like the ones still in use in the states, diesel electric. It's the only thing I can think of that can both pull 200 tons and might fit in the chassis. It is what they used in the first place although it was an aircraft engine before they put what I think was a diesel submarine engine in.

Oh, and considering the thing, while it had 200+mm of very sloped frontal armor and just shy of 200 in the rear, It wasn't nearly as well armored on top. And it doesn't move. It wouldn't have taken long for an IL-2, Tempest, or P-47 to drop a bomb or rocket as near to right on top of it as possible. Given that even the other heavy tanks of the time had thinly armored tops, even though I can't find any information on the Maus specifically, I'd assume this would also be true for the Maus.

In real life not that many tanks were knocked due to aircraft. Machine guns are almost completely ineffective against even the thing upper armour of tanks. Only bombs and rockets can knock out a tank, and only on a direct hit :P... and those were rare and hard to achieve.

Maus roof armour is 50 mm.

Nice that they're restoring it, like they did with the Dornier bomber. But the Maus is a laughable joke when it comes to tank engineering. The thing was ludicrous and horribly impractical at the time when it was developed.

deathmothon:
Maus is nothing compared to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landkreuzer_P._1000_Ratte

If you're gonna bring up crazy German super-heavy class tank designs that never went into production, you may as well go all-out.

I introduce you to the Landkreuzer P.1500 "Monster."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landkreuzer_P._1500_Monster

The main weapon on that beast is an 800mm Krupp railway gun. There's no kill like overkill.

Charcharo:

WouldYouKindly:

Only bombs and rockets can knock out a tank, and only on a direct hit :P... and those were rare and hard to achieve.

Yes, it's the size of a house and it only takes one good pass. It's not like they even could have fielded them in significant numbers.

WouldYouKindly:

Charcharo:

WouldYouKindly:

Only bombs and rockets can knock out a tank, and only on a direct hit :P... and those were rare and hard to achieve.

Yes, it's the size of a house and it only takes one good pass. It's not like they even could have fielded them in significant numbers.

According to Wiki, only five were ordered.

And while it's easy to say in hindsight that it's an insanely impractical idea, you have to remember that Germany at that time was desperate for some kind of silver bullet to halt the Allied advance. The same mindset that led to the design and near-creation of the Maus also led to all kinds of amazing technological advances that had a huge impact in the post-war era.

The Maus reminds me a lot of the Japanese battleship Yamato. Ridiculously big, heavy, tough, outgunned everything else in the world, and it ended up sunk by aircraft without firing a meaningful shot. Fearsome weapons, but not for the era in which they were created.

Tuesday Night Fever:

deathmothon:

If you're gonna bring up crazy German super-heavy class tank designs that never went into production, you may as well go all-out.

I introduce you to the Landkreuzer P.1500 "Monster."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landkreuzer_P._1500_Monster

The main weapon on that beast is an 800mm Krupp railway gun. There's no kill like overkill.

Man, that 80mm shell they were gonna fire outta that...

Andy Chalk:

The Maus reminds me a lot of the Japanese battleship Yamato. Ridiculously big, heavy, tough, outgunned everything else in the world, and it ended up sunk by aircraft without firing a meaningful shot. Fearsome weapons, but not for the era in which they were created.

Yeah, but at least it got a chance to fly across the universe to save the human race.

WouldYouKindly:

Charcharo:

WouldYouKindly:

You are giving them too much accuracy. It would take several passes, the Maus is big, but bombing runs were very inaccurate.

mistwolf:
Yeah, but at least it got a chance to fly across the universe to save the human race.

Right website, wrong thread. ;)

Of all the things that Wargaming does, its these restoration projects that I respect the most.

*fangirl like scream*

I might eventually have to look into visiting Russia now to see it actually work.

*adds this to bucket list*

Now THAT i want to see come to life. this is almost as cool as that train gun Nazis had that shot strategic bombs and had accuracy so low it actually did more damage to friendlies than enemies

Charcharo:

WouldYouKindly:

You are giving them too much accuracy. It would take several passes, the Maus is big, but bombing runs were very inaccurate.

While the Il-2 Šturmovík literally could not hit the broadside of a barn, the thing is there were alot of them. And the soviets really liked to deploy them en masse.
But then again to paraphrase Something Awful: "If they succeed in blowing up a Maus, the thing could reasonably expected to flash red then split open to reveal an even deadlier form"

Personally I really hope they build a Ratte.
Obviously they won't build a practical military vehicle, It just has to LOOK like it might be awesome in a fight.
Basically use modern material and components, have the armor be thin sheets of aluminium, no firing mechanisms on the cannon.
Just have that thing roll down the country side and look awesome.
That's all I'm asking.
It would probably be relatively cheap too.

Soviet Heavy:
Nice that they're restoring it, like they did with the Dornier bomber. But the Maus is a laughable joke when it comes to tank engineering. The thing was ludicrous and horribly impractical at the time when it was developed.

Maybe, however if you follow a lot of conspiracy theories and such a lot of the impractical weapons the Germans were developing at the end of the war might have been intended for purposes that weren't immediately obvious. One of the things about Nazi Germany was that it's leadership had it's head in the clouds and was thinking in some rather odd, occult-based, directions. When you look at their successful weapons, and what the scientists recruited by the US and Russians made when put on the practical, it's hard to believe that the Germans would have just created something like the Maus or the "Vortex Cannon" (which was an artillery piece that was basically a giant fan and flammable gas generator, what happens is it basically shoots giant flaming rings over a good distance. It apparently worked as planned but one has to ask WTF they intended it to be shot at, given that it was an utter joke compared to other artillery and had all kinds of limitations... requiring almost ideal firing conditions, and the transport of flammable chemicals) without some good ideas what it was used for. Given that Germany barely lost the war, and Hitler was convinced almost right up until the end that he was going to win (convinced by prophecies and fortune tellers no less) it raises some interesting questions. What's more (plays X-files music) the allied governments have a lot of stuff about Hitler's plans, archaological research, and other things that were never divulged to the public.

In a more serious sense, I believe it was theorized that the Maus was intended as a sort of mobile turret. It's rather laughable speed being kind of irrelevant given that the basic point is that it CAN move under it's own power, even if it's slow. It's super-heavy armor meant that it's something you could pretty much park in an area and let even most bombs pretty much be ineffective, not to mention that even with it's weight it could be driven onto the decks of boats and such and act as a turret on ships that otherwise wouldn't be packing a cannon that big (it would be irrelevant to a full fledged battleship or other naval vessels, but a lot of ships could benefit hugely from having a Maus on deck).

Of course it's more fun to think they made it to withstand attacks from Cthulhu as they engaged in their "mile a day" conquest plan after raising Ry'leth from the depths.... Yithians bah! Their final moments will come at the hands of thousands of Maus tanks, slowly but inevitably crushing all slimey tentecled opposition before them! I mean what could be more epic that that, and it's surely not the most insane idea I've ever heard (even if I did you know... just make it up).... :)

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here