Megan Fox Wants to Star in a Live-Action Sailor Moon Movie

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Megan Fox Wants to Star in a Live-Action Sailor Moon Movie

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles' April O'Neil, Megan Fox, states she'd love to do a live-action Sailor Moon movie, or even one based on Gundam Wing.

While Megan Fox has already appeared in live-action iterations of cartoon flicks such as Transformers and the soon-to-be-released Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, the actress is open to doing more cartoon remakes to turn into live-action features. Talking to Entertainment Weekly about her role as April O'Neil in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Fox was asked about her future projects and what would her choice be if she can remake another animated series.

"Gundam Wing," responds Fox, adding she'd love to see a Jurassic Park remake in the works. "Pacific Rim was sort of a Gundam Wing situation, but they should do it. What about Thundercats?"

Or maybe, she says, Sailor Moon."That could feasibly be made into a live action movie," mulls Fox. "I don't know how many Americans were into that. I was into that, but I don't know how huge it was here."

"That's not actually a bad idea.

Fox as a Sailor Moon character and in live-action? Count me in! Of course, I wouldn't mind seeing her in a Thundercats movie either. I can already guess she'd be a perfect fit for Cheetara. While you might already be imagining Fox in Sailor Moon attire, you might want to check out the trailer for her upcoming flick, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, which is set to hit theaters this coming August.

Would you want to see Fox in a Sailor Moon movie? Yeah, not an easy question to answer, I know. But aside from that, which other cartoon property would you want Fox to star in next?

Source: Entertainment Weekly

Webby Voting Banner

I'd say no thank you. We don't need more whitewashed Americanized Japanese stuff. The Ring, The Grudge, and so on... Let Asian movies be Asian.

Queen Michael:
I'd say no thank you. We don't need more whitewashed Americanized Japanese stuff. The Ring, The Grudge, and so on... Let Asian movies be Asian.

I think it really depends on the property. I don't think IPs such as Dragonball or Sailor Moon would fit well with a Hollywood version. But others, like Black Lagoon and Cowboy Bebop, could work.

It's not surprising. She has spent so much time remaking stuff other people grew up with she's now thinking about projects that she liked herself as a kid. That said, I can't imagine any of those projects working out. On the surface Gundam Wing has the most chance because the cast is largely international. But as with Sailor Moon the main characters in GW are like 15 years old, and it loses a lot of the "war destroys innocence and everything beautiful" point if they're not.

Besides, we all remember how the previous attempt to whitewash Sailor Moon turned out.

Really this is just her spitballing though. She hasn't even looked into whether Sailor Moon was popular or not, when it's probably one of the most recognizable and successful anime of that decade globally.

hummm would like to see her do the transformation part...

Short answer: No!

Long answer: Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

A lot of us are still hurting from the last time Hollywood failed to do an anime/manga adaptation properly. We called it Dragonball: Evolution. The last thing I wanna see is another property brutalized like that, especially if Megan "I've got the acting range of a 2x4 with a pair of silicon implants nailed to it" Fox is attached to it.

I... I could see this happen, Megan can act but she is always thrown into the roles we all seem to know her for, this could work.

no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no.

That being said, I could see her in a blonde wig as sailor Venus, playing up the somewhat vapid semi americanized depiction she sometimes has.

Wait, so Megan Fox IS April O'Neil in the new TMNT movie? I thought that looked like her, but she didn't look as plastic and fake as I remember her looking in the Transformers movies. They must have worked hard to make her not look like such a Barbie doll, or she got some plastic surgery to reverse some of the things she had done before, like her lips and around her eyes.

Queen Michael:

yay for racism and nationalism!

*highly kidding, I couldn't care less*

OT: I'm surprised she actually knows what gundam wing and sailor moon even is, she didn't quite seem the type to know what those are, but hey, cool.

I honestly wouldn't go see it in theater, but if enough people wanted it I don't see why not.

Don't we have some members on this forum with sailor moon characters as their avatar?...I swore I've seen a couple around.

Finally, girl geeks can hate Megan like the guy geeks do!

Queen Michael:

Isn't Sailor Moon, by its nature, already Americanised?

Mr. Q:
Short answer: No!

Long answer: Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

A lot of us are still hurting from the last time Hollywood failed to do an anime/manga adaptation properly. We called it Dragonball: Evolution. The last thing I wanna see is another property brutalized like that, especially if Megan "I've got the acting range of a 2x4 with a pair of silicon implants nailed to it" Fox is attached to it.

This is why Sailor Moon would be the perfect project for her, from my perspective. I never cared for the show anyway.

....Come on, guys, my childhood needs a rest!

Actually, I really don't care what's done to Transformers or Ninja Turtles, but I wanted to fit in.

Lilani:
Wait, so Megan Fox IS April O'Neil in the new TMNT movie? I thought that looked like her, but she didn't look as plastic and fake as I remember her looking in the Transformers movies. They must have worked hard to make her not look like such a Barbie doll, or she got some plastic surgery to reverse some of the things she had done before, like her lips and around her eyes.

I don't know. I think she was intentionally made to look plastic for Transformers. Clearly, it's the only way Sam would dare approach her.

That could...surprisingly work....

The thing with Megan is, she can actually act, it's just she is given roles that just don't work with her...

Example, Transformers, sure she was good, but the girl from DOTM who played Carly, would of bee much better, as she actually had a backstory that could of been flushed out (her brother etc) Megans character had nothing going for her. She was playing the helpless girlfriend and love interest, but in that same respect, they forcefully gave her character something to do, which doesn't work. You can't have a helpless love interest in a film pluck up the courage to drive BACKWARDS WITH A GIANT ROBOT BLASTING THINGS! And then have her in the same role again in the second, it just kills the character -.-

And don't even get me started on that stupid vampire film she was in -.-

I'm hoping in TMNT she is actually good.

I would fucking love to see a live-action Gundam Wing movie.

I love the anime and it can probably be done considering Pacific Rim showed that it can be done.

As for Sailor Moon? Maybe...?

I'm not sure how the powers and everything would work as a live-action movie. The effects budget would have to be crazy huge and make it so it wouldn't be cheesy and lame as hell. I guess it could work. With Fox involved? I dunno. Would have to see how she does in TMNT first before I'd comment on that.

gmaverick019:
OT: I'm surprised she actually knows what gundam wing and sailor moon even is, she didn't quite seem the type to know what those are, but hey, cool.

I honestly wouldn't go see it in theater, but if enough people wanted it I don't see why not.

Don't we have some members on this forum with sailor moon characters as their avatar?...I swore I've seen a couple around.

They were both on Toonami in the late nineties and early oughts. Toonami was huge back then, at least where I was. It was big enough to eventually get 2 spinoffs[1] anyway, so I wouldn't be surprised if she watched them on that. Everyone I knew ran home to watch Toonami, switched over to Kids!WB to watch Pokemon, then switched back to Toonami.

[1] "Toonami The Midnight Run" which showed Gundam Wing and other shows "Uncut" i.e. someone would say "damn" every now and then. I think the Midnight Run was what planted the seeds for Adult Swim. And later there was the "Toonami Rising Sun" weekend morning program bloc, but I'd pretty much stopped watching by that point. Since I was growing out of my weeaboo phase.

Queen Michael:

What's funny about you saying this is that there was actually a live-action Sailor Moon. One of the chief complaints about it was that the characters didn't look anything like the ones on the show, because they didn't have the right natural hair color, or the faces/eyes to go with them.

Anyway, whatever! If it happened, it might be neat. I'd shell out the bucks to see it.

Zachary Amaranth:

Queen Michael:

Since it's a Japanese manga and a Japanese anime about Japanese people, I'd have to say no to that.

I...this...I just.
The level of hate I feel for Megan Fox and Hollywood at this point.

Queen Michael:

Zachary Amaranth:

Queen Michael:

Since it's a Japanese manga and a Japanese anime about Japanese people, I'd have to say no to that.

How kind of them to make it in English for us, then.

That would only happen if Michael Bay was somehow let loose on Sailor Moon, which would probably be funny to be honest. Instead of Asian girls they are grizzled ex-marines back from Afghanistan trying to live normal lives and be super kawaii.

Zachary Amaranth:

It was dubbed into English after originally being in Japanese. It's rare for an anime to be made with English dialog in mind, though not unheard of. Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust was made with English dialog as the default iirc. because the original anime had been so much more popular in the west than in Japan itself.

The art in Sailor Moon was also altered to take out a lot of the Japanese text on signs and things in the English release. Since there were a lot of real-life ads strewn through the background art of the original, or so I've heard.

Zachary Amaranth:

Queen Michael:

Zachary Amaranth:

They also made it in French, Swedish, Italian, and lots of other languages. It still took place in Tokyo, as far as I know.

Ratty:
It was dubbed into English after originally being in Japanese.

True! Though they did localize it very well. It was quite relatable for anybody; as a kid, I had no idea it was supposed to be in Japan until I learned of The Internet™.

I guess as well, my over-arcing question would be: Isn't it kinda weird to insist on cultural purity for a country that voraciously adapts outside culture more than virtually any other country in the region?

Cool. It would be worth it just to see how a polished, modern day transformation sequence. I watched a lot of Sailor Moon when I was a kid. It came on right before Dragon Ball Z when school let out, so I would watch that to make sure I wouldn't miss DBZ. I wonder if they'll keep it closer to the Japanese or American translation. Who would direct it?

I'm guessing something like that would only happen if the Jem movie is a hit, and even then... Honestly I would expect a Thundercats or Gundam Wing movie before Sailor Moon.

Yep, this is the warning the universe has given us that Hollywood is going to chew up the IP and spit out a rip-off movie that they paid to use the official name of the source material. Tuxedo Mask will probably be the villain, since the writers and studio execs don't pay attention to or care about the original story.

It's just like the Cowboy Bebop movie will ruin Spike's character by

Ed will probably be a boy who just shouts technobable instead of the crazy girl who's genius isn't apparent, too. If Megan Fox is cast as Faye, you just know something like that will happen.

With a decent script, Micheal Bay could make a good Thundercats and I'm cool with Megan Fox being Cheetara or a new or one-off character from the show. They better use make-up and prosthetic cat noses, not CGI, though. But even if the actress is quite excited to do the part, casting a big name star in an anime/video game movie is usually sign that the execs just trying to get as many non-fans to see the movie before the franchise's die hard fans warn everyone of another in-name-only stinker. Even Transformers had Shia "I'm not famous anymore" LeBouf to get the girls who don't care about giant robots and Megan Fox to get the frat boy who used her as an excuse to see a movie based on a robot cartoon based on a toy line.

Alex Co:
Fox as a Sailor Moon character and in live-action? Count me in! Of course, I wouldn't mind seeing her in a Thundercats movie either. I can already guess she'd be a perfect fit for Cheetara.

GOD NO.

Are you just messing with us? Imagining her as a Sailor Scout, or as Cheetara....*gag*....excuse me, I need to wipe the vomit off my lips.

I straight up do not get why people still consider Megan Fox attractive. If it's purely the body, then she's not even the best looking with her particular body type. If it's anything else, she's one of the most shallow, vapid twits in Hollywood, only recently losing her crown to Kristen Stewart. She can't act for beans. She was bad in Transformers, she's gonna be bad in TMNT, and she's been bad in a bunch of other films. All she can do is flash skin and hope that none of the guys notice that fact.

Well if they gonna make Sailor Moon into a Stripper, I'm all in (I kid)!

Also what? Gundam Wing? Last time they try to make a lived action Gundam film was G-Saviour which was a disaster (I'm pretty sure Gundam aren't made for the live action screen due to how much they have to cramp in the war politics into mere hours film length!!

Norithics:

Ratty:
It was dubbed into English after originally being in Japanese.

True! Though they did localize it very well. It was quite relatable for anybody; as a kid, I had no idea it was supposed to be in Japan until I learned of The Internet™.

I guess as well, my over-arcing question would be: Isn't it kinda weird to insist on cultural purity for a country that voraciously adapts outside culture more than virtually any other country in the region?

Well, there's the issue of white washing to worry about. But also the school system depicted in Sailor Moon is extremely Japanese. From the school uniforms (which turn into the school uniform costumes) to worrying about extremely crucial exams. It's so Japanese I'm not sure an Americanized version would even be recognizable as an adaptation.

All that said, I'm not a big fan of Sailor Moon so maybe someone who is would be better qualified to talk about it. I loved it when I was 10 and 11 yeah, but watching it these days just makes me feel old.

Ignoring the whole Americanization thing, Megan Fox is way too old to play Sailor Moon. She can't convincingly play 14. How about someone who's actually a teenager, like Morgan Lily or Karley Scott Collins?

P.S. Thanks

Covarr:
Ignoring the whole Americanization thing, Megan Fox is way too old to play Sailor Moon. She can't convincingly play 14. How about someone who's actually a teenager, like Morgan Lily or Karley Scott Collins?

P.S. Thanks

There's no way Hollywood is making a movie about a 14 year-old girl who fights evil monsters and has a sexy transformation sequence. Shit, Hollywood would be apprehensive to make a movie about a 14 year-old boy who just does the monster fighting part. Sailor Moon will almost certainly be about a group of girls late in their high school years if it is Americanized. That shit don't fly around here.

Not that Megan Fox could convincingly play that either. Or any kind of shoujo protagonist. She's too much aggressive sexuality, not enough innocence. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing, but it wouldn't really work for Sailor Moon.

Revnak:

Covarr:

P.S. Thanks

There's no way Hollywood is making a movie about a 14 year-old girl who fights evil monsters and has a sexy transformation sequence. Shit, Hollywood would be apprehensive to make a movie about a 14 year-old boy who just does the monster fighting part. Sailor Moon will almost certainly be about a group of girls late in their high school years if it is Americanized. That shit don't fly around here.

Not that Megan Fox could convincingly play that either. Or any kind of shoujo protagonist. She's too much aggressive sexuality, not enough innocence. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing, but it wouldn't really work for Sailor Moon.

It would be easy to make it pass. They'd just have to rewrite the theme song like this:

Fighting evil by moonlight!
Tokyo's where she's living!
There, thirteen's the age of consent!
She is the one named Sailor Moon!

Revnak:
There's no way Hollywood is making a movie about a 14 year-old girl who fights evil monsters and has a sexy transformation sequence.

Then make the transformations less sexy. The age is a hugely important part of it, and making her older would really defeat the purpose.

P.S. Thanks

P.P.S. An Autism Speaks captcha? Really? These guys treat Autistic people as diseased, as inferior. Can't stand 'em.

I never really liked Sailor Moon so I really don't care.

I actually like Fox, and I also think a live action Sailor Moon movie could be pretty fun. I don't, however, think she should be in it unless she's maybe playing Beryl or something. Quite frankly, as attractive as Fox is, she's way too old looking to be playing a high school girl.

She's a bit old for the role, but if you can ignore her age, she'd be a decent Sailor Mars. I'm glad the picture agrees.

Queen Michael:

Revnak:

Covarr:

P.S. Thanks

It would be easy to make it pass. They'd just have to rewrite the theme song like this:

Fighting evil by moonlight!
Tokyo's where she's living!
There, thirteen's the age of consent!
She is the one named Sailor Moon!

It's still not necessarily normal to find young teens super sexy there, at least not for adults. However, shoujo is primarily marketed towards girls around 9 - 15 with some crossover with boys of the same age and a peripheral (and not totally well liked) demographic of otaku (I'm sure you know all of this, I'm just throwing it out there just in case). This movie will probably be targeted towards teenage girls (ideally) and nostalgic 20 and 30 somethings (definitely). A 14 year-old protagonist is not normal in that case. A sexy 14 year-old less so.

Covarr:

Revnak:
There's no way Hollywood is making a movie about a 14 year-old girl who fights evil monsters and has a sexy transformation sequence.

Then make the transformations less sexy. The age is a hugely important part of it, and making her older would really defeat the purpose.

P.S. Thanks

P.P.S. An Autism Speaks captcha? Really? These guys treat Autistic people as diseased, as inferior. Can't stand 'em.

I don't really see how it would be that important that she be in her early teens. I suppose the puberty metaphor is lost, but late teens is still a major transition point in life that the story can be about and it works better if the movie is going to mostly be made for nostalgic adults rather than actual teens.

Edit: note, I still consider her being in Highschool to be pretty non-negotiable.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here