Report: Steam Controller Will be in Your Hands By November

Report: Steam Controller Will be in Your Hands By November

Steam Controller Revision 310x

A source close to PC Gamer says that the controller will be released in "October or November."

If you weren't one of the lucky few selected to take part in Valve's Steam Machines hardware beta, you're no doubt curious to get your hands on its funky controller, with its odd touch pads in the place of thumbsticks. Well, according to a source close to PC Gamer, we, unfortunately, probably won't be getting our hands on them until November.

The source claimed to have knowledge of Valve's Steam Machines project, and said at PAX East that Valve's Steam Controller will release in October or November of 2014. It added that added that the completion of the controller is what the Steam Machine hardware manufacturers are waiting on, meaning that the machines themselves should also start shipping out around the same time.

Lastly, the source also claimed that they expect "about 500" games to be natively playable on SteamOS by the end of this year, up from the current count of 382.

The controller, which when it was first revealed featured four buttons around a central touch-screen, has since been redesigned to incorporate a more traditional button layout. The touchpads though, which Valve claims will give the controller precision on par with a keyboard and mouse, are still present.

Will you be picking up a Steam Controller? I will be most likely getting one for my PC, just for when I want to play a "console" type game (like Castle Crashers), as currently trying to get any non-Xbox 360 controller working with the Steam library is a nightmare.

Source: PC Gamer

The d-pad looks like it will be thoroughly shit.

We'll have to wait and see I guess.

Can't wait to get one of these in my hands to find out that the touch pads are shit. I'd be genuinely surprised if they weren't. Every touch based input method I've ever used just seems so buggy that playing a fast paced game with not one but two pads is gonna be a real test of my confidence in Valve. Laptop pads and touch screens(resistive, capacitive, infrared, psychic, it don't matter) never work great for me and I gave up the 2 DS Zelda games before finishing them because of the reliance on unreliable(Oxymoron intended) controls. I'll wait for a buddy to get one of these and see how it works then. I'd doubt Gamestop will have a demo unit sitting out unless it was surrounded by Steam voucher cards and the clerk was told to constantly heckle people with "you can trade in your PS4/xbone games for these and get a bonus hat for TF2".

The question has to be... How much? I have an 360 pad I use effortlessly with my Win 8 PC already. As much as I want one of these, and I do, it has to be affordable if I'm going to invest.

Yeah, it depends on how much it will cost. I might be interested in buying a Steam Machine and one of these, as long as the price / hardware is good. I'll need to upgrade my hardware soonish anyway, if it's a good deal I'll be interested.

I am interested, this is supposed to "emulate" a mouse and a keyboard right? So that I can even play games that dont support controllers. (Not that I really need to but I would like to know that I could)

josemlopes:
I am interested, this is supposed to "emulate" a mouse and a keyboard right? So that I can even play games that dont support controllers. (Not that I really need to but I would like to know that I could)

That's the plan AFAIK. Your game will just take the left track pad as seperate regions representing WASD when desired.

My body is ready for the Steam controller. Even if the SteamOS fails, I care more about the controller. I can finally have a way to play pc games with a gamepad without giving up control my desktop. And since it'll have downloadable key mappings, I can do it without spending 45 minutes mapping keys for every game

I'll use my own pad probably from the superior dual shock layout category.

PoolCleaningRobot:
My body is ready for the Steam controller. Even if the SteamOS fails, I care more about the controller. I can finally have a way to play pc games with a gamepad without giving up control my desktop. And since it'll have downloadable key mappings, I can do it without spending 45 minutes mapping keys for every game

As long as those games are not 2d platformers you should be kinda okay.

Also this dose it all with current PC compatible controllers.

http://pinnaclegameprofiler.com/

Sure its 20 bucks but you can even set up hold down this button and it changes what the other buttons do.

ZippyDSMlee:

PoolCleaningRobot:

Sure its 20 bucks but you can even set up hold down this button and it changes what the other buttons do.

Actually according to Tommy Refenes, the programmer of Team Meat, steam controller are fine for Super Meat Boy, although he still prefer a 360 controller, but he say it might be mostly out of habit. At least that was his opinion back when he first tested them at Valve's HQ.

------ Not part of quote reply from this point ------

He also used steam controller for Mew-genics booth, this week-end, come to make some comment about it during this interview.

iniudan:

ZippyDSMlee:

PoolCleaningRobot:

Actually according to Tommy Refenes, the programmer of Team Meat, steam controller are fine for Super Meat Boy, although he still prefer a 360 controller, but he say it might be mostly out of habit. At least that was his opinion back when he first tested them at Valve's HQ.

------ Not part of quote reply from this point ------

He also used steam controller for Mew-genics booth, this week-end, come to make some comment about it during this interview.

Which boils down to a normal pad is better if you get past the paid advertising. The steam controller just dose nothing better than a normal control pad and is unusable on fancy AAA games like Batman..

I'm excited to give it a try, but I have no idea if it will be any good. We'll just have to wait and see I guess. I'm quite interested in that haptic feedback (or whatever it was actually called) sounds like it would make quite the difference.

ZippyDSMlee:

Which boils down to a normal pad is better if you get past the paid advertising. The steam controller just dose nothing better than a normal control pad and is unusable on fancy AAA games like Batman..

What paid advertising ? When he mentioned his opinion about Steam controller for Super Meat Boy, he was invited because Valve wanted the opinion of Team Meat as as part of development process of said controller. It was also the version of the following model at the time.

Here the blog post itself.
http://tommyrefenes.tumblr.com/post/62476523677/my-time-with-the-steam-controller

iniudan:

ZippyDSMlee:

What paid advertising ? When he mentioned his opinion about Steam controller for Super Meat Boy, he was invited because Valve wanted the opinion of Team Meat as as part of development process of said controller. It was also the version of the following model at the time.

Here the blog post itself.
http://tommyrefenes.tumblr.com/post/62476523677/my-time-with-the-steam-controller

Okay it was a cheap shot my bad, but at the end of the day he aid he'd rather use a 360 pad. That tells me all I need to know, even with all the revisions the first impression of the steam controller were not all that great. Its flawed, then again all controllers are flawed to a degree but the steam controller is a bit too flawed.

Still looks like it'd be uncomfortable and awkward to use. I'll stick with my Dualshock 4, and the Scarlet Crush tool which makes it act like a natively PC compatible 360 pad.

A acquaintance who's been using one says that it's currently his preferred controller for fighting games.

ZippyDSMlee:

Okay it was a cheap shot my bad, but at the end of the day he aid he'd rather use a 360 pad. That tells me all I need to know, even with all the revisions the first impression of the steam controller were not all that great. Its flawed, then again all controllers are flawed to a degree but the steam controller is a bit too flawed.

Yes, but he also mention it simply because of familiarity reason, not functionality.

Not surprising, really. I'm actually glad they're holding off on rushing them to market.

They've only just made a major design change. To rush them to market without further, extensive testing would be foolish.

Besides, they're attempting to create a controller; one that uses an unorthodox/nonstandard method of input and has an open-ended modding environment; that will be compatible with just about any PC game imaginable.

That's going to take some time...

ZippyDSMlee:

Except, by most accounts of those that have actually had hands-on time with the thing (even in it's early iterations), it actually works wonderfully for 2D platformers.

It often seems as though most (but certainly not all) of the negative opinions on the controller stem from people who've never laid hands on it.

Isn't that odd?

I've used that service before. It's inherently flawed insofar as the platform adds a layer of latency to all controller inputs. Especially if there is any amalgam of native controller drivers.

So...it's really not an ideal "fix" for someone's controller-to-PC woes. Not all of them, anyway.

ZippyDSMlee:

Which boils down to a normal pad is better if you get past the paid advertising.

Paid advertising?

Sheesh. Come on now. We need not sink into conspiracy theories.

The steam controller just dose nothing better than a normal control pad and is unusable on fancy AAA games like Batman..

That's one hell of an assumption, now isn't it? Especially in light of the myriad of samples of people using the thing for games just like that. And "nothing better than a 'normal' control pad"? I'm sorry, but I vehemently disagree. I've tried using a thumbstick to emulate a mouse pointer. Even the very worst of trackpads do a better job.

I also wanted to say that I think you misunderstood what Tommy Refenes said in his review. He said he only "preferred" the 360 controller. Not because it was superior or that the Steam controller was inferior but because it was more "familiar". In fact, he quite liked some of the prospective aspects of the proposed final design of the Steam controller.

You can read his review of the very early build here - http://tommyrefenes.tumblr.com/post/62476523677/my-time-with-the-steam-controller

Personally, I can't wait to get my hands on one. Whether it will live up to the promises remains to be seen; and I will judge it accordingly. Who knows? Maybe I'll hate it. Maybe it'll be the most uncomfortable controller since the VirtualBoy. I'm certainly open to that possibility. But for now all I have to go on are the opinions of those that have used one. And so far...they're sounding fairly positive.

ZippyDSMlee:

PoolCleaningRobot:

That's pretty sweet but there's two problems: its not Linux compatible and its paid. Its not that I'm cheap or have a problem with paid software, I just don't like the idea of managing protected programs on my computer more than I already do. Plus motionjoy can do most of that

Besides there's a weird issue I'm not sure it can overcome which is emulating both a gamepad and a keyboard and mouse. With motionjoy, you have to choose which means having complete control over your system and binding wasd to a stick which sucks, or using the full gamepad but I can't close out of games and select something else without getting off my ass and moving back to my desk

iniudan:

Also this^. Binding a stick to wasd is kind of sucky but I've played emulated 2d platformers on my phone and I think touch works pretty well as an emulated D-pad, so I like the Steam controllers touchpads in principle. Plus I read Refenes opinion and it sounds promising

Vigormortis:
I've used that service before. It's inherently flawed insofar as the platform adds a layer of latency to all controller inputs. Especially if there is any amalgam of native controller drivers.

So...it's really not an ideal "fix" for someone's controller-to-PC woes. Not all of them, anyway

And this too. 3rd party software adds extra steps which I hope won't be a problem with the Steam controller's config

ZippyDSMlee:
Even with all the revisions the first impression of the steam controller were not all that great. Its flawed, then again all controllers are flawed to a degree but the steam controller is a bit too flawed.

He tested the first revision, and many improvements have been made since. The problem is that you haven't tried it yourself, have you?
OH YE OF LITTLE FAITH
Gotta try to believe it.

PoolCleaningRobot:

And this too. 3rd party software adds extra steps which I hope won't be a problem with the Steam controller's config

Well, one would assume you wouldn't need such 3rd party software with the Steam controller. The entire premise behind the controller, besides new (hopefully better) input methods, is that the entire thing is "mod" friendly. Valve's not only making the thing as universally compatible as possible but also releasing the things entire API package to the public when it launches. Combined with the planned community features associated with the controller, this should make the Steam controller extremely customizable. [1]

[1] This is honestly the thing that has me most excited for the controller. I'm curious to see where it goes in the hands of the modding community.

This may be a silly question, but why the fuck don't I see a wire in that photo?

PoolCleaningRobot:
Besides there's a weird issue I'm not sure it can overcome which is emulating both a gamepad and a keyboard and mouse. With motionjoy, you have to choose which means having complete control over your system and binding wasd to a stick which sucks, or using the full gamepad but I can't close out of games and select something else without getting off my ass and moving back to my desk

I've set up XPadder in such a way that my controller acts as a default 360 pad but switches to a desktop mode when I hold down the select button. I can then control the mouse with the right stick and access task manger, alt tab, etc... with the buttons. Works pretty well for the most part (only game I've come across so far that requires you to hold select is Crysis 2). No Linux support for XPadder either though. I use my phone with Mouse Server in that case.

SecondPrize:
This may be a silly question, but why the fuck don't I see a wire in that photo?

Steam controller are suppose to be wireless with removable USB cable once they release. Prototype are currently wired only fonction simply because the production is still only prototype, but it is still a removable cable.

iniudan:

SecondPrize:

Steam controller are suppose to be wireless with removable USB cable once they release. Prototype are currently wired only fonction simply because the production is still only prototype, but it is still a removable cable.

Thanks, so long as there's an option to plug in a USB cable i'll be okay.

Juan Regular:
I've set up XPadder in such a way that my controller acts as a default 360 pad but switches to a desktop mode when I hold down the select button. I can then control the mouse with the right stick and access task manger, alt tab, etc... with the buttons. Works pretty well for the most part (only game I've come across so far that requires you to hold select is Crysis 2). No Linux support for XPadder either though. I use my phone with Mouse Server in that case.

Thanks, that's a good idea. I've tried using Xpadder before and it was complicated and I don't think it had bluetooth support for duel shock, so I said fuck it. I connect my laptop to my TV via hdmi so I'd like to be able to use a gamepad and carrying something extra like a wireless mouse is annoying. But that was years ago, I'll have to try XPadder again especially now that I know you switch control schemes from the controller. I'll have to try phone server too, I use Unified Remote but the Linux version is only in beta I believe

PoolCleaningRobot:

ZippyDSMlee:

PoolCleaningRobot:

That's pretty sweet but there's two problems: its not Linux compatible and its paid. Its not that I'm cheap or have a problem with paid software, I just don't like the idea of managing protected programs on my computer more than I already do. Plus motionjoy can do most of that

iniudan:

Also this^. Binding a stick to wasd is kind of sucky but I've played emulated 2d platformers on my phone and I think touch works pretty well as an emulated D-pad, so I like the Steam controllers touchpads in principle. Plus I read Refenes opinion and it sounds promising

Vigormortis:

So...it's really not an ideal "fix" for someone's controller-to-PC woes. Not all of them, anyway

Linux? Why? Not every game runs on linux making lunix pointless unless you plan on playing only a few of the smaller titles off of steam.

It emulates KB and mouse well enough if you have a game that resource hungry it will glitch but I find putting its priority up fixes that most of the time.

My main complaint with it is it has a learning curve to use well but it's one of the better game pad config ultitlies out there, yes it also sucks its a paid app but its compliment of features makes up for it.

I'd say if you have a normal PC pad and like it just want more features out of it the program will work well enough for you if you invest the time to learn its crazy GUI. The steam pad is missing to many buttons for me to have the same opinion. Maybe the 2nd or 3rd full rebuilt revision will but at this point and time there is nothing telling me this will work for most games well.

ZippyDSMlee:
Linux? Why? Not every game runs on linux making lunix pointless unless you plan on playing only a few of the smaller titles off of steam.

Maybe I just happen to prefer it and its functionality to Windows

sent from my netbook running Manjaro XFCE

I don't use it heavily for gaming so I'm mostly thinking toward the future. If I'm spending about $1000 on a gaming rig its going to run an OS I like and not whatever disaster Microsoft cooks up in the future. Besides, I've bought dozens of older games off GoG from circa 2000 and I have yet to find one that won't run through Play on Linux on my 2gb ram, Celeron duel core netbook at full settings with no lag. A majority of low end recent games run too and Linux ports are becoming more common among indi devs. I may not be playing the latest and greatest, but virtually any older pc game is open to me. So while I will have to duel boot in the future with a real gaming pc (like I do now), I plan to do most of my gaming and casual use on Linux

It emulates KB and mouse well enough if you have a game that resource hungry it will glitch but I find putting its priority up fixes that most of the time.

My main complaint with it is it has a learning curve to use well but it's one of the better game pad config ultitlies out there, yes it also sucks its a paid app but its compliment of features makes up for it. I'd say if you have a normal PC pad and like it just want more features out of it the program will work well enough for you if you invest the time to learn its crazy GUI.

I do think its true what they say, you get what you pay for. So its not that I think the app is bad

The steam pad is missing to many buttons for me to have the same opinion. Maybe the 2nd or 3rd full rebuilt revision will but at this point and time there is nothing telling me this will work for most games well.

The Steam pad has a d-pad, 4 face buttons, left and right trigger, 2 touch pads with clicks, pause, select, Steam button, and 2 back squeeze things. Looks like the same amount to me. You must be thinking of the old touch screen version with only 4 face buttons. I have nothing to say convince you though. It very well might suck complete ass. But my experience playing games in the same touch manner on my phone tells me it could work really well

But, it doesn't come out until November. So until then, I'll be keeping my options open to finding a good solution for using my ps3 controller on my pc. I'll probably try XPadder first, then this

This controller looks hideous, like someone took an Xbox controller, turned it upside down, then replaced the sublime control of thumbsticks with (likely, given the results of ALL other touchpad interfaces) unresponsive touchpads. I'll stick with my logitech controller, even with all the fiddling with it needed for some games.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here