Third X-Men: DOFP Trailer Brings Mutants, Mayhem

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Third X-Men: DOFP Trailer Brings Mutants, Mayhem

Newest (and possibly final) trailer for the superhero blockbuster shows tons of characters, action

Fox has released the biggest trailer yet for the much-anticipated return of director Bryan Singer to the Marvel movie franchise he helped launch over a decade ago; which reveals what may be the full roster of major characters, their respective mutant powers and the giant robot Sentinel enemies.

As with previous recent advertisements for the film, a big moment is afforded to Evan Peters the new character Quicksilver; who (owing to a shared-rights situation between two studios) will also appear in Marvel Studios The Avengers: Age of Ultron next year, though played by a different actor and with a (presumably) different backstory.

I'm guessing the whole Quicksilver thing pretty much cements that X-Men and Avengers aren't sharing a universe...

Also, I find it a bit sad how X-Men, who were one of the franchises that really sparked this ongoing superhero craze we've been having for the past decade, have been overshadowed by the Avengers-universe continuity. Would have been nice if they tied into it, though...

"The uploader has not made this video available in your country" GG Fox. GG.

Jandau:
I'm guessing the whole Quicksilver thing pretty much cements that X-Men and Avengers aren't sharing a universe...

Also, I find it a bit sad how X-Men, who were one of the franchises that really sparked this ongoing superhero craze we've been having for the past decade, have been overshadowed by the Avengers-universe continuity. Would have been nice if they tied into it, though...

I could just imagine it now...Avengers VS X-men.

El Luck:

...Well that idea was fun while it lasted.

Whoa, what?

There's mutants in this XMen movie? Yeah, I know one person who won't be seeing it then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QLd1QLkMcM

...you're welcome, peeps in the UK.

It didn't look as underwhelming as I thought it would.

The Sentinals look like the most generic robot toys you always passed in the aisles of the toy shop when making your way to the good stuff. The cartoon Sentinals, while no less silly, were at least intimidating. What is it with robots in movies from the last decade looking so terrible?

The SentinEls look retarded, agreed. However they are as big as is probably viable for a bipedal robot that is supposed to to high mobility combat versus a diversified opfor for a price that is reasonable.

And since you market it to americans, the toy look is kinda mandatory.

btw:
I vote for dinklage winning this.

Casual Shinji:
The Sentinals look like the most generic robot toys you always passed in the aisles of the toy shop when making your way to the good stuff. The cartoon Sentinals, while no less silly, were at least intimidating. What is it with robots in movies from the last decade looking so terrible?

Well for movie purposses the make sense.

Don't think people would respond to well to police robots bigger than a house.
And they wouldn't be all that practical either.
although, now i think of it, i don't think it was all that clear to the animators of the cartoon show how big they actually were.

And the look of them, well that's a mather of fact overtaking fiction in development.

X1/3 were good but not great (X3 being the least).
And first class was a bit beter.

But must say, these trailers are selling the movie to me.

So... this is gonna suck. Looks generic as fuck with neither the X-Men nor the Sentinels looking the part. And don't tell me that "THE ORIGINAL DESIGNS WOULDN'T WORK ON FILM HERP-DERP", because I've got three words for ya: Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Did I just see Wolverine pop his Bone-claws.
I'm really curious how this fits in with the continuity.

And wasn't young Prof X crippled at the end of First Class?
Or will this not be a sequel to that movie?

Creedsareevil:
The SentinEls look retarded, agreed. However they are as big as is probably viable for a bipedal robot that is supposed to to high mobility combat versus a diversified opfor for a price that is reasonable.

Jeroenr:

although, now i think of it, i don't think it was all that clear to the animators of the cartoon show how big they actually were.

It's not even the size, it's that they look flimsy. They don't exude any sort of strength or weight. They look plastic-y and comprised of just plates.

And a lot of robots in current movies suffer from this. Whether it's Iron Man, the new Robocop, Transformers... All of them feel like just a mess of plates.

I'm usually fairly flexible with how faithful to the source material something has to be, but this one just seems to have the name and the catalyst the same as the original story. I don't mind (too much) using Wolverine instead of Sprite/Shadowcat/Kitty Pryde as the one sent back through time to prevent the world from going to hell in a hand basket, but why have her be the one with the ability to send his mind back into the past. Well, other than being able to say "Hey, we brought back Ellen Page! She's still cool, right?"

And I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but why is everyone except Marvel fully willing to embrace the "Yes, we're making a comic book movie and sometimes that means weird stuff is happens?" This is referencing the clip that was released a couple of days ago, not the new trailer, that shows some of the mutants (Bishop, Blink, Iceman, Sunspot and Colossus) fighting some Sentinels in a library. Bishop has Sunspot hit him with some of his power to give him an energy boost, but instead of just being able to release that energy from his hands (as in the source material) he's physically attached to an oversized gun. Why can you go 3/4's of the way there...and then quit? Why bother at all using him then?

I really enjoyed X-Men: First Class. I really did. But I just have a lot of reservations about this one.

Darth Marsden:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QLd1QLkMcM

...you're welcome, peeps in the UK.

Cheers for that. :)

OT: Trailer is certainly interesting enough for me to put the release date in my calendar. The combined cast looks like it could be a lot of fun, but it's the return of Bryan Singer that gives me the most optimism.

TheMemoman:
It didn't look as underwhelming as I thought it would.

Agreed. My interest has spiked a bit..

Suddenly young Xavier, seemingly after he started his school for the gifted, can walk? How many timelines are they cramming into this?

I really liked First Class, but I think I'll wait until Wolverine and Friends: Time Traveling to Smooth over Inconsistencies airs on TV to watch it.

Casual Shinji:

Creedsareevil:

Jeroenr:

It's not even the size, it's that they look flimsy. They don't exude any sort of strength or weight. They look plastic-y and comprised of just plates.

And a lot of robots in current movies suffer from this. Whether it's Iron Man, the new Robocop, Transformers... All of them feel like just a mess of plates.

Considering that the amount of agility and mobility outright forbids a heavy frame and that modern engineering tends towards light but durable materials, you have to aknowledge that a huge, hulking heavy robot is probably not the way to go.

If its big and heavy it has to be able to deal with the consequences of that. That aside: Mimicking the range of human movement on a combat capable highly mobile frame is a tall order. It is then supposed to pack guns, ammo, powersource etc...

A lightweight frame with artificial muscles and tendons made from, going on a limb here, carbon fibers and stuff like that is probably more realistic then a heavy hydraulic juggernaught. A light armor plating covering vital areas is most likely the maximum you wanna put on a light frame.

The Iron Man armor is already laden with problem, no need to go further. Lets just say that its ability to absorb kinetic schock is truly otherwordly. Oh. And the sweat. And the heat. Th suit sure is good in preventing tony from slowly cooking.... and all in that... well... thin frame...

Casual Shinji:

Creedsareevil:

Jeroenr:

Metal is being replaced with plastics and composite materials more and more.
We already have humanoid robots in real life, and they start to look more like toy's as well.
even the military ones.

But i think using CGI also has a role in it, animatronics does often gives things a real presence.

Ranorak:
Did I just see Wolverine pop his Bone-claws.
I'm really curious how this fits in with the continuity.

And wasn't young Prof X crippled at the end of First Class?
Or will this not be a sequel to that movie?

It goes after Wolverine in Japan. In that movie:

I guess they will say that the injury in First Class did not cripple Charles; after all, there is still the issue that he can walk in Wolverine Origins and the flashbacks in X3.

The trailer looks good but there are a lot of questions hanging around this movie. First, how is Charles Xavier able to walk again? Second, will all of these new mutants like Blink and Bishop get a fair amount of screen time or will they get barely a minute or two before the movie goes "Hope you got your money's worth, folks, cause that is a wrap for these mutants"? Also, how will Quicksilver be portrayed in this movie? Is he gonna be Magneto's son or are they going to fudge with the cannon on this? If he is gonna be his son, shouldn't there be a bigger age difference between the two or am I missing something?

I'm trying to give X-Men: Days of Future's Past a chance. Just hope this doesn't turn into a major pooch-screw.

I miss the vast sentinels of the animation, even if they would be ridiculously cumbersome in real life. Those things were intimidating!

MasterOfHisOwnDomain:
I miss the vast sentinels of the animation, even if they would be ridiculously cumbersome in real life. Those things were intimidating!

Not really. What was intimidating was the fact that these suckers were built at an alarming rate and had custiomized iterations just to combat specific powersets.

El Luck:

That actually happened in the comics:

http://marvel.wikia.com/Avengers_vs._X-Men_(Event)

While this trailer did get me interested in the movie again, I'm still worried that it will be "Wolverine and the X-men," as opposed to the, imo, better X-Men First Class that didn't have Wolverine in the mix. I think Wolverine being absent allows the other characters more room to grow/have more developed personalities.

This also looks like a mash-up of fan service, "cool! Did you see that? They had that guy I like do that thing he does" moments.

Creedsareevil:

MasterOfHisOwnDomain:

Not really. What was intimidating was the fact that these suckers were built at an alarming rate and had custiomized iterations just to combat specific powersets.

Intimidating v. frightening. Efficiency of production doesn't intimidate. And it's all subjective anyway ... I found them intimidating because of their size, and so did most of the X-men if I remember ...

Why even pretend there's continuity if you're just going to change whatever you want whenever it's convenient? See: Beast not being blue, Xavier walking, Mystique being good again, Magneto in prison?

I hope this is at least mediocre.

Scribblesense:
Why even pretend there's continuity if you're just going to change whatever you want whenever it's convenient? See: Beast not being blue, Xavier walking, Mystique being good again, Magneto in prison?

I hope this is at least mediocre.

I don't think that's fair. A lot of it is easily explained. First, I'm not a fan of the Wolverine movies or the Last Stand. However:

- Beast being blue: he's a scientist. The same way he made a "cure" that turned him blue in the first place, he could have made a vaccine to undo it

- Xavier walking: First Class never said that he was completely paralyzed. We see him in a wheelchair at the end, but that could have been during his recovery. Or, someone may have invented some sort of cybernetic prosthetic for him

- Mystique being good: she could have had a falling out with Erik over the way things ended with Charles. Xavier was her only friend for a very long time, and while she acted in the heat of the moment when he was crippled, she could have felt that Magneto was crazier than she realized, and left him

- Magneto in prison: and then he is freed. What's the problem? How does him being in prison affect the continuity when the trailer shows that he is then freed?

I really enjoyed the trailer, way different vibe compared to the other two.

Except for X3 I enjoyed all of the X-Men movies so I am very looking forward to this one. I bet it's going to be epic!

Every trailer they put out makes me more apprehensive. I hate the sentinels. I hate the change of directors. I hate the character designs (laughably absurd rocket chair notwithstanding). I miss the tone and direction First Class set up the Xmen franchise to take. Now, since Bryan Singer just HAD to have his franchise back it looks like First Class will just be one of maybe two bright spots on a boring poorly constructed series.

tdylan:

- Magneto in prison: and then he is freed. What's the problem? How does him being in prison affect the continuity when the trailer shows that he is then freed?

Magneto was free by the end of First Class.

Somehow these trailers have felt... incomplete in a way. It was very obvious from the dialogue that it was patched from different sentences, not whole lines. Kinda amateurish if you ask me.

And I wonder how much of the plot they just revealed in this trailer? How much is there still left unseen? First Class was awesome but now I'm not so sure how this one looks.

legend forge:

tdylan:

Yes, but who is to say that he didn't do something between first class and future past to get him locked up? He was "free," at the end of first class, but also a wanted man.

Mr. Q:
The trailer looks good but there are a lot of questions hanging around this movie. First, how is Charles Xavier able to walk again? Second, will all of these new mutants like Blink and Bishop get a fair amount of screen time or will they get barely a minute or two before the movie goes "Hope you got your money's worth, folks, cause that is a wrap for these mutants"? Also, how will Quicksilver be portrayed in this movie? Is he gonna be Magneto's son or are they going to fudge with the cannon on this? If he is gonna be his son, shouldn't there be a bigger age difference between the two or am I missing something?

I'm trying to give X-Men: Days of Future's Past a chance. Just hope this doesn't turn into a major pooch-screw.

I think these are all good points. On the subject of the characters getting screen time, I'm leaning towards them getting only a cameo like appearance. I doubt they'll take the time to fully flesh out anyone aside from the big players. A few lines and perhaps someone actually saying their name or something like that. Throwing the fans a bone, then moving on to the stars. I for one am disappointed with Quicksilver. Sure the cartoon had it, but it looks rather cheesy. But yes, what is the age situation? He looks like a teen, iirc Mangeto was supposed to be 20ish in the last movie. (don't really remember too well)

tdylan:

legend forge:

tdylan:

Yes, but who is to say that he didn't do something between first class and future past to get him locked up? He was "free," at the end of first class, but also a wanted man.

He was charged with the assassination of JFK and locked in that very specific cell after a trial where he bent a crowbar into a pretzel to demonstrate his power.

They've been releasing a ton of sites and videos like this to flesh out the intervening years.

Arawn:

But yes, what is the age situation? He looks like a teen, iirc Mangeto was supposed to be 20ish in the last movie. (don't really remember too well)

I'd say late 20s or early 30s at the end of First Class. He was a child in a concentration camp and the Cuban missile crisis happened in 1962. It's hard to say though, as the Nazis ran the camps from 1933 to 1945.

Edit: Actually they probably had a date in the movie in the scene showing his arrival. I just don't remember what it was.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here