Spider-Man and X-Men Studios Team Up Against Marvel?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Spider-Man and X-Men Studios Team Up Against Marvel?

spiderX

Fox's mutants will appear in a teaser at the end of Sony's spider-sequel.

In a surprise move, a short scene from the upcoming blockbuster feature X-Men: Days of Future Past will play during the credits of The Amazing Spider-Man 2. The scene will reportedly be part of an action sequence featuring X-Men characters Mystique, Havok, Toad and William Stryker; and is regarded as strictly an advertisement for X-Men, not as the beginning of a "crossover" between the two series.

What makes the arrangement unusual is that movie studios seldom collaborate on promoting eachother's films, particularly when they are expected to compete with one another at the box office (X-Men: DOFP will release only one month after ASM2.) The move is likely to be seen as rival studios working together toward the common goal of undercutting Disney's Marvel Studios; which has used shared-universe continuity between it's superhero films for an unprecedented string of box-office hits. Spider-Man and The X-Men are both Marvel properties, but currently reside with other studios because of rights deals made before the veteran comics publisher established its own studio.

It appears unlikely that this marketing collaboration would lead to an actual "team-up" between the two blockbuster series; but it's an open secret that every studio in Hollywood is looking for ways to steal (or muffle) Marvel's thunder: The shared-universe conceit allows the studio to brand even risky ventures like August's Guardians of The Galaxy as psuedo-sequels to one of the biggest action franchises on the planet, which threatens the box office prospects of many other studios and would only increase in dominance were they to reacquire major players like Spider-Man or Wolverine. So it's not too hard to imagine Sony and Fox (which has a famously toxic relationship with Marvel leadership) calling truce to hold-fast against the bigger "enemy."

Source: Empire

It'd be a very short-lived fight.

ugh, i hope nothing comes of it. i detest the new spiderman movies, and some of the x-men films were really good. i'd rather not have the new spiderman entering the x-men franchise in any way

EDIT/ Jesus fucking hookers in a brothel, I am following the instructions and this pic wont show up. Six tries now and nothing! Even after copy-pasting. I have also noted that everybody's "Spoilers: click to view", NEVER WORKS

http://iwastesomuchtime.com/on/?i=8076 link to the Double Facepalm.

If NEITHER studio is capable of handling either franchise separately, WTF makes them think a collaboration will work? The only hope I have is for a scene of Hugh Jackman Punching Andrew Garfield square in the face meat.

SilverStuddedSquirre:

EDIT/ Jesus fucking hookers in a brothel, I am following the instructions and this pic wont show up. Six tries now and nothing! Even after copy-pasting. I have also noted that everybody's "Spoilers: click to view", NEVER WORKS

If NEITHER studio is capable of handling either franchise separately, WTF makes them think a collaboration will work? The only hope I have is for a scene of Hugh Jackman Punching Andrew Garfield square in the face meat.

I think this image actually roundly sums up your dismal failure to use the simple forum tools :P

Scrumpmonkey:

SilverStuddedSquirre:

I think this image actually roundly sums up your dismal failure to use the simple forum tools :P

I know! The delicious part is, THAT is the image I failed to post XD Is there one with a third crewman?

SilverStuddedSquirre:

Linked images must end in a file extension (.jpg, .gif etc.) for the image to show using that method.

In this case, right click on the image in question and click "copy image location". Then paste this into the image box.

e.g

Right clicking on your image and choosing "copy image location" yields this address:
http://cdn.iwastesomuchtime.com/October-18-2011-20-12-49-DoubleFacePalm.jpg

Place this between (img)(/img), with square brackets instead of round brackets, and you should get this:

EDIT:

Neither company seems to be able to handle their properties well. Perhaps not releasing trashy film after trashy film might make it easier to compete with Marvels success record. Neither will match Disneys budget, but they can at least not shit out a title just to hold onto copyrights.

The thing is that even teamed up they'll probably lose. Disney is in a much better financial position than Fox or Universal, if Disney decided to change the release dates of all the Marvel movies to match the competition's dates Disney is better diversified and could afford to make less money on the Marvel movies in the short term if it meant that they could make the rival studios' use of Marvel properties unprofitable and thus get the rights back eventually.

I just wish Disney would do what they did with Lucas though, just walk into the Fox and Universal lots and say "give us a number."

Ragsnstitches:

SilverStuddedSquirre:

Linked images must end in a file extension (.jpg, .gif etc.) for the image to show using that method.

In this case, right click on the image in question and click "copy image location". Then paste this into the image box.

e.g

Right clicking on your image and choosing "copy image location" yields this address:
http://cdn.iwastesomuchtime.com/October-18-2011-20-12-49-DoubleFacePalm.jpg

Place this between (img)(/img), with square brackets instead of round brackets, and you should get this:

Thanks. I'm far better with physical tools than web tools. Trying to get Internet things to work properly looks like this when I do it:

I really don't understand why Sony and Fox don't combine their marvel universes. Not only would a Spidey/F4/X-men crossover be huge and probably make Avengers cash, it would also raise awareness for all 3 franchises. Look at what Avengers did for Cap and Thor. Even just a one time crossover film would be a massive win for both studios.

SilverStuddedSquirre:

Scrumpmonkey:

SilverStuddedSquirre:

I know! The delicious part is, THAT is the image I failed to post XD Is there one with a third crewman?

As a matter of fact....

:P

OT: I'd love to see at least the X-Men somehow find it's way back into Marvel's hands. Then we could get Wolverine in The Avengers. :3

Fusioncode9:
I really don't understand why Sony and Fox don't combine their marvel universes. Not only would a Spidey/F4/X-men crossover be huge and probably make Avengers cash, it would also raise awareness for all 3 franchises. Look at what Avengers did for Cap and Thor. Even just a one time crossover film would be a massive win for both studios.

The problem is that would require Fox and Sony to work together and give up the "want all the money" attitude that movies seem to be focusing on now (Just like Jim Sterling was saying about video games too), for they would have to try and figure out a way to split the costs and profits.

I really have no opinion on Fox and Sony really trying to help each other out, for I don't think it will really help them against Marvel for Marvel seems to know what they are doing. Both Fox and Sony don't seem to understand how to make a movie based on a comic to generate large appeal.

Captchas: Rocket Science - its not really that hard.

Yay free market capitalism. Where Big business interests trump those of the consumer for the greater bad.

Its a real shame we will never see a joined up marvel universe with different companies desperately hanging on to their own pieces.

Fusioncode9:

Looks good on Paper. Just a few problems though:

First : everything associated in ANY way with the Current Spider-Man.
Second : you can bet that the new fantastic four will be a giant steaming pile of garbage. Evidence? The first 2.
Third : brilliant casting aside, everything associated with Fox's X-Men franchise is also a steaming pile of Shyte. Not to mention Cyclops is Dead, Jean Grey is Dead, and Wolverine got his claws Neutered. (First class was a great movie, but they've already boned the franchise SO FAR past the point of redemption, that the only way stories work is in the past, or alternate realities - which I thought we were avoiding in the Movie Marvel Verse.)

You forget that Cap and Thor also got respectable stand alone movies, each doing the character individual justice and showing them be Awesome on their own merits, not just cool when you put them next to Hulk or Iron Man.
Removing The Avengers takes away some great moments for each character yes, but they could all still be stand alone movies and be good. None of these heroes have a BAD movie yet. Let's tally up Fox and Sony:

Spider-Man: 2 out of 4 movies are good, looking to go 3/5 ; odds strongly against.
Fantastic-Four: 2 out of 2 movies are shit. Looking for a single good outing here, odds strongly against.
X-Men: 2 out of 5 movies good, looking to go 3/6 ; odds pretty good

All of these franchises struggle to make a 50% record of decent films. So far F-Four has a 100% fail rate.
You can say "two heads are better than one," but when those two heads are Lloyd and Harry from Dumb and Dumber, it won't help you.

RJ 17:

SilverStuddedSquirre:

Scrumpmonkey:

As a matter of fact....

:P

OT: I'd love to see at least the X-Men somehow find it's way back into Marvel's hands. Then we could get Wolverine in The Avengers. :3

NOOOOOO! Warf is sad at me too?

EDIT/ I feel like I should get a meme pic:

Attempts to mock failure with Facepalm Earns BIGGER facepalm.

thetoddo:

I just wish Disney would do what they did with Lucas though, just walk into the Fox and Universal lots and say "give us a number."

That's the thing, Sony needs Spider-Man right now. They aren't doing too well in most of their departments, so any right they hold that will guarantee profit, they will hold on to it. I am one of the few that didn't loathe the new Spider-Man movie, but I'd be much happier if it were given the chance to join Marvel's joint universe.

SilverStuddedSquirre:
Facepalming

I win.

OT: I'm not even sure Sam Raimi's Spidey is good for this. Does...anyone ever stop the flow of bad ideas in Hollywood? Ever?

I doubt that the contracts that Sony and Fox have with Marvel would allow either company to produce a film with characters they individually lack the rights to. Would the contracts have included terms for jointly produced films?

Can't we all just get along? If done right, the sheer awesomeness of a X-Men/Spider-Man movie would revival The Avengers. I remember how hard I hit the roof when the X-Men (with their original voice actors and designs) showed up the the Spider-Man cartoon show from the nineties. That was incredible. Something like that can be done again, if people would just put their pride aside.

Fox and Sony are just retarded. Both their movies are in May, so how will advertising each others movies going to do anything against Marvels movie that is released 3 months later in August? lol. People wont even be thinking of Xmen or Spiderman by then.

Fusioncode9:

X-Men works best in isolation, the whole "we hate muties ... but superscience and magical superheroes are okay" thing just doesn't work.

BigTuk:
It'd be a very short-lived fight.

Agreed. Shorter than even Loki's little spat with The Hulk in Avengers, though the little whining noise Loki makes will be the exact same thing these two studios will make.

Marvel has a string of critically acclaimed, big-budgeted and even bigger profiting movies that all manage to share a cohesive universe with one another.

The X-Men movies can't decide what the hell they are, if they really tie into the "Origins: Wolverine" or "Wolverine" flick, or if they want to reboot it with First Class, or just say screw it lets play Time Lord all up here with a DeLorean with this movie. They all range from "Well... It was good when Ryan Reynolds was allowed to speak at least" to "Eh... That was good too".

Spiderman though? It's heyday was back when Raimi was working on it (I think, at least), and that was until the studio started bickering and fighting with him to try and push in things they wanted (hence we got Spiderman 3). Now its Muzzle-flair swinger Spidey in the painfully cliche "Destiny" version of his character, and the next movie's only greatest strength from what I've seen is Paul Giamatti. Aside from that, they're trying to shove at least 3 big-named villains into the movie, and on top of that 3 origin stories for the three villains as well.

That doesn't bode well.

The irony, small though it may be, is that this move actually makes me want to see both movies less, not that I had much desire for ASM2 anyway. They are making the wrong concessions. This makes them look desperate and afraid, all the while still managing to come across as wholly disinterested in making films for the actual fans.

They aren't too good to do some cross promoting but they cannot actually allow something like "mutant" to be said in the MCU, which is the continuity that people love right now. Petty.

Honestly, acquiesce to some of Marvel's creative control demands because they are making the better movies right now, anyway.

So... Does this mean Spider-Man would not need some "mutant" help in order to take down the pending Sinister Six or something?

Aw man... We could have called it Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends...

I smell a movie adaptation of Arcade's Revenge!

....Wait. Is that a good thing?

suitepee7:
i'd rather not have the new spiderman entering the x-men franchise in any way

Yeah, no need to drag Spidey down to the crap of the X-Men series.

bjj hero:
Yay free market capitalism. Where Big business interests trump those of the consumer for the greater bad.

Wait. Isn't the consumer the only reason we have the Spider-Man and X-Men reboots?

Ignoring that, I'd really like to see a list of ways in which this actually harms you. Or anyone else.

Pinky's Brain:

X-Men works best in isolation, the whole "we hate muties ... but superscience and magical superheroes are okay" thing just doesn't work.

Which is why Spider-Man (Threat or menace?????) would fit in thematically. And really has in the comics.

I like the idea of a Spider-Man/X-Men team up more than the idea of him being part of the Avengers. And I know he was part of the Avengers in the comics. So was 80% of the Marvel Universe. Sandman was a member. Doesn't make them fit.

cursedseishi:

Agreed. Shorter than even Loki's little spat with The Hulk in Avengers, though the little whining noise Loki makes will be the exact same thing these two studios will make.

I don't know. Loki was still moving after that.

FPLOON:
So... Does this mean Spider-Man would not need some "mutant" help in order to take down the pending Sinister Six or something?

Maybe he's looking for a cure to his powers and becomes Man-Spi...That's been done before, hasn't it?

Also, I oppose SMAHAF because Firestar being involved would please Tara from WTFIWWY

Why don't we...
Take the movies from Sony and Fox
and give them back to Marvel?

I know, I know... They're going to milk the hell out of the franchises JUST so that they can make a little bit of cash... and keep the ips from Marvel and a huge movie universe.

I, personally, would like to see these three companies split the cost 3 ways, split the earnings 3 ways... and just shack up like 3 cold men in a snow storm.

One day the contracts will run out and Spidey and the Xmen will be back in the hands of their rightful owners when it comes to movie rights and this terrifies Sony and Fox because they know damn well these licenses will make Marvel SOOOOO much more money than they could ever dream of making while they have them because Marvel actually knows how to make damn good comic movies.

I wish they would just freaking give up already, sell them back to Marvel and go make other movies they're more qualified for.

I went to see The Amazing Spider-Man 2 yesterday and it really was good. There are some plot holes

but overall it was excellent. Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone mainly.
And I've seen people say it's confusing because there's too many villains..there's two. TWO. I never got confused.

Go see it though, it's good, not perfect, but worth, seeing.

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/the-secret-deal-behind-spider-man-2-plugging-the-x-men-exclusive-1201158216/

Seems this was actually just an odd instance of Sony fulfilling a contractual obligation to 'promote' Fox's new X-men movie in exchange for Mark Webb being released to work for them.

SilverStuddedSquirre:

Fusioncode9:

Looks good on Paper. Just a few problems though:

The biggest problem is, the MCU, spiderman and F4 movies all are about a few people with spesial powers helping those without any.
X-Men is about armies of people with special powers battleing eiths other or armies without any.

The Battle of New York woult be quite different if a third of the citizens could shoot deadray's out of there eye's.

simpely put, the back stories of the worlds of these movies are incompatteble. (with X-men any way)

First : everything associated in ANY way with the Current Spider-Man.
Second : you can bet that the new fantastic four will be a giant steaming pile of garbage. Evidence? The first 2.
Third : brilliant casting aside, everything associated with Fox's X-Men franchise is also a steaming pile of Shyte. Not to mention Cyclops is Dead, Jean Grey is Dead, and Wolverine got his claws Neutered. (First class was a great movie, but they've already boned the franchise SO FAR past the point of redemption, that the only way stories work is in the past, or alternate realities - which I thought we were avoiding in the Movie Marvel Verse.)

Time travel could solve that. (a bit of a cheap solution, but it has a connection to comic/cartoon)
And don't forget, Xavier Died in X3 as well.

You forget that Cap and Thor also got respectable stand alone movies, each doing the character individual justice and showing them be Awesome on their own merits, not just cool when you put them next to Hulk or Iron Man.
Removing The Avengers takes away some great moments for each character yes, but they could all still be stand alone movies and be good. None of these heroes have a BAD movie yet. Let's tally up Fox and Sony:

Spider-Man: 2 out of 4 movies are good, looking to go 3/5 ; odds strongly against.
Fantastic-Four: 2 out of 2 movies are shit. Looking for a single good outing here, odds strongly against.
X-Men: 2 out of 5 movies good, looking to go 3/6 ; odds pretty good

All of these franchises struggle to make a 50% record of decent films. So far F-Four has a 100% fail rate.
You can say "two heads are better than one," but when those two heads are Lloyd and Harry from Dumb and Dumber, it won't help you.

I do think you are being a bit harsh to some of movies.

The F4 movies weren't to bad, the fist a bit beter than the second.
(And dont forget it's a reboot, so its a fresh deck)
Spiderman 1,2 and ASM1 were enjoyable too (sm 3 not so much).
And X-men, non of them drove me to demand a refund.(were good not great)

Compare them to DareDevil(almost walkt out on that one) or Catwoman.

And let's not forget the matter of taste.

William Ossiss:
Why don't we...
Take the movies from Sony and Fox
and give them back to Marvel?

Yay, Spongebob reference!

LostPause:
http://variety.com/2014/film/news/the-secret-deal-behind-spider-man-2-plugging-the-x-men-exclusive-1201158216/

Seems this was actually just an odd instance of Sony fulfilling a contractual obligation to 'promote' Fox's new X-men movie in exchange for Mark Webb being released to work for them.

I read a similar report this morning. At first, I thought it was an actual crossover but the mentioning of characters like Havoc and Stryker, two characters from the X-Men's past, raised a red flag. So, this is more of a cross-promotion instead.

Personally, Sony and Fox working together like this might not work in their favor. They're making a lot of plans with the IPs they have but the upcoming movies for this year, Amazing Spider-Man 2 and X-Men: Days of Future's Past, have yet to be released to the public. Amazing Spider-Man, so far, is getting positive reviews but the majority of them say that the movie has some glaring issues despite what Rotten Tomatoes qualifies as a "passing grade". Either way, if one or both of these films tank at the box office, then its going to hurt the outcome of their future plans.

I really wish both companies would work together to make a more cohesive cinematic universe, but it looks like the commentary Jim Sterling provided in a previous episode (see Jimquisition episode The Unholy Trinity of Blind Greedy Bastards) definitely applies to Hollywood as well. -_-

I've always felt that X men works best as a speperate reality feom the rwst of the marvel properties. So I'm not loving this idea.

LazyAza:
One day the contracts will run out and Spidey and the Xmen will be back in the hands of their rightful owners when it comes to movie rights and this terrifies Sony and Fox because they know damn well these licenses will make Marvel SOOOOO much more money than they could ever dream of making while they have them because Marvel actually knows how to make damn good comic movies.

I wish they would just freaking give up already, sell them back to Marvel and go make other movies they're more qualified for.

Unfortunately the way the rights were sold says that as long as a movie using that property is made every X years the rights will not revert back, it's why a terrible FF movie was made and never released a while back. Marvel won't get the characters back as long as movies keep getting made unless they can buy the studios out of their contracts.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here