Sony "Looking Into" Discount for Last of Us PS3 Owners on PS4

Sony "Looking Into" Discount for Last of Us PS3 Owners on PS4

The Last of Us bite

Gamers who purchased The Last of Us on PS3 last year may receive a price drop on the PS4 version.

If you missed out on The Last of Us, the post-apocalyptic stealth adventure game from Sony and Naughty Dog, you'll soon have another chance--it's hitting the PS4 later this year. But what about those who purchased the game for full price less than a year ago and want to experience it again on a newer console? According to Naughty Dog Community Strategist Eric Monacelli, some kind of discount may be in order. Responding to a question on the European PlayStation Blog, Monacelli replied that the publisher was "looking into" options that would help gamers who already purchased The Last of Us and its DLC.

"Any chance that people who own TLoU on PS3 and also the season pass will get a discount on TLoU Remastered?" This question was asked by one commenter, with similar thoughts echoed by others, and Monacelli was understanding in his response. Though he made no promises, he stated, "We're looking into the business model for all this and will post about this once we have input from all regions."

While that's not exactly a confirmation of a discount for loyal buyers of multiple versions of The Last of Us, it's nice to see someone from Naughty Dog at least acknowledge this question. The Last of Us isn't the first last-gen game to get the next-gen revamp treatement--Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition launched for the Xbox One and PS4 earlier this year, at full retail price, less than a year after the game's original release. Re-purchasing fairly recent games for $60 isn't really practical for most of us, so it would be nice to see some sort of recognition and discount should this trend continue; we'll see if The Last of Us: Remastered actually sees a price drop for previous buyers.

Source: PlayStation Blog via Polygon

It would be nice if they do this, since they didn't for Tomb Raider.
And surely it's technically feasible, some PS3 games could be "upgraded" to the PS4 version for $10, either the physical copy or the store copy.

O my god, they ported a game I already own over to another device, must buy the game again!

What? they are asking 60 bucks for the game? Let's see.. give up on buying this game, because I already own it... or... nag the developer to give me a discount, because I must own this game, AGAIN!

I do hope that people who are nagging for a discount and end up buying this game again don't end up complaining how it is just the same game again ( with dlc included this time ) with prettier sparkles.

Was there not some deal for some launch games on both new systems where if you bought the previous gen version you got a discount on the next gen version? It might have been publisher specific, but it was a nice precedent in today's "lets release as many versions as possible" market. Why not continue that trend instead of looking like greedy schmucks like with the Tomb Raider: "We didn't like the sales of this game so we're releasing it again a year later with a botoxed Laura" Edition?

Honestly if there isn't enough stupid people who (have this game on PS3 and all the DLC they want) in this world who would buy this game for $60 again while keeping their PS3s and the old game, I'd say Sony would be smart to offer a discount.

I am going to get it, since I never bought the PS3 version. I wanted to but lack of funds and it never really struck me as an awesome game (even though I always hear people say otherwise).

So I will probably pay a little more and get increased performance and DLC, so it suits me.

meanwhile i can play every single game i played before on my new PC.....
really, this is silly. you already own TLOU. they have no right to ask for more money on another device.

Even if this does happen, it'll only be for the digital copy I presume. And I'm a physical man.

Still be a nice gesture though.

bluegate:
O my god, they ported a game I already own over to another device, must buy the game again!

What? they are asking 60 bucks for the game? Let's see.. give up on buying this game, because I already own it... or... nag the developer to give me a discount, because I must own this game, AGAIN!

I do hope that people who are nagging for a discount and end up buying this game again don't end up complaining how it is just the same game again ( with dlc included this time ) with prettier sparkles.

This mirrors perfectly my first thought on the matter. Are people mad that the same being released later on another format/console? They own the game and I'm sure were happy with their purchase, why the sudden outrage.

omega 616:
I am going to get it, since I never bought the PS3 version. I wanted to but lack of funds and it never really struck me as an awesome game (even though I always hear people say otherwise).

So I will probably pay a little more and get increased performance and DLC, so it suits me.

Enter my second thought. I played the demo, watched the videos, but never jumped to buy it. There were other games to play at the time. I'm still behind on playing them.

Strazdas:
really, this is silly. you already own TLOU. they have no right to ask for more money on another device.

I'm not sure if that was supposed to be sarcastic or not. If not the statement makes no sense. I purchased Mass Effect for PC, next ME2, and then finally ME3. The consoles got versions of these games as well. I did not instantly gain access to said ports. They do have the right to charge money for a different version of the same game. Why is this any different? I admit it feels unfair, but it's sound logic.

Strazdas:

Actually, despite me being a massive PC gamer and playing almost all games on PC, they are WELL within their rights to ask for money. It's a new version of the game, on a new device, on a new console. When you bought [insert game here] on PC, did you get copies for the X-Box and PS3 as well? When the disk didn't work in a console, did you complain that they have no right to sell you a copy that only works on PC?

What they are doing is actually HELPING those who already have the game by offering a massive discount. It's still a new disk, a new copy and a new console, but because you already own it, they are offering a discount on the remastered version.

Please think an argument through before going PC elitist.

EDIT:

Um, this thread is currently displaying that there are 143 pages... Yet I just posted on the first? Escapist, I think the hamsters escaped again.

rather read that a pc version will come out. im not spending money on a ps4 just to play this game, especially since i cant aim for shit with a controller.

Arawn:

I'm not sure if that was supposed to be sarcastic or not. If not the statement makes no sense. I purchased Mass Effect for PC, next ME2, and then finally ME3. The consoles got versions of these games as well. I did not instantly gain access to said ports. They do have the right to charge money for a different version of the same game. Why is this any different? I admit it feels unfair, but it's sound logic.

It was a jab at lack of backward compatibility. On PC i am backwards compatible for majority of PC history. On PS4 i would have to rebuy the same game even if i own it already.

Lil_Rimmy:

Actually, despite me being a massive PC gamer and playing almost all games on PC, they are WELL within their rights to ask for money. It's a new version of the game, on a new device, on a new console. When you bought [insert game here] on PC, did you get copies for the X-Box and PS3 as well? When the disk didn't work in a console, did you complain that they have no right to sell you a copy that only works on PC?

What they are doing is actually HELPING those who already have the game by offering a massive discount. It's still a new disk, a new copy and a new console, but because you already own it, they are offering a discount on the remastered version.

Please think an argument through before going PC elitist.

EDIT:

Um, this thread is currently displaying that there are 143 pages... Yet I just posted on the first? Escapist, I think the hamsters escaped again.

Its the same game on same medium. the only difference is that the device is different. its akin to having your DVDs locked to a single DVD player model and once you buy a new one, you got to buy new DVDs for it.

Oh, and btw, PS1 discs DO work on my PC. how about that?

Yes, they are "Helping" you by making you pay for the same game twice if you want to buy it on the new model.....

The page bug happens sometimes, it goes away the next thread you visit, dont worry about it.

Interesting stuff, I'll probably look at upgrading my copy if the discount comes into effect.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here