Origin's "Gigabytes Of Deals" Sale Cuts Prices On Titanfall and More

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Origin's "Gigabytes Of Deals" Sale Cuts Prices On Titanfall and More

Origin Gigabytes of Deals sale

Origin is getting into the spring sale business with "gigabytes of deals" on just about everything.

When you think of spring sales, at least as far as digitally-distributed games are concerned, you probably think about Steam. But today, we're not talking about Steam, we're talking about EA's Origin, which is having a little bit of a seasonal sale of its own.

The "Gigabytes of Deals" sale - I don't know if that's actually the official name for it, but it's at the top of the page and so that's what I'm calling it - isn't as crazy-cheap as we've come to expect from Steam, but there are still some deals to be had. The newly-released Titanfall, for one, is $47.99, down 20 percent from its regular price of $59.99, and Battlefield 4 is half-off at $24.99. A ton of Sims stuff has been marked down, and if soccer is your thing, FIFA 14 Digital Deluxe is half-price as well, also at $24.99.

Other noteworthy deals include SimCity at $14.99, Crysis 3 at $9.99, Dead Space 3 at $9.99 and the Mass Effect Trilogy for $19.99 - say what you will about the end of Mass Effect 3 but that's an amazing pile of top-quality gaming for 20 bucks. And if you're a Command & Conquer fan, the Ultimate Edition, which includes 17 games from the original C&C all the way to Tiberian Twilight, is also half-price at $9.99.

There are an awful lot of other deals up for grabs, some better than others - Tiberian Twilight by itself is the same price as the C&C Ultimate Edition, for instance - and if it hasn't cut the prices quite as deeply as Steam sometimes does, that's not entirely surprising: EA said a couple years ago that it wouldn't be getting into that kind of thing. (But you can still score Dead Space for free, if you haven't already.)

The Gigabytes of Deals sale runs until 11:59 pm PDT on April 23.

Whatever happened to sales cheapen intellectual property EA?

Oh boy, I can now get Titanfall for 35!
The multiplayer only game. That is fully digital and has not third party company charging more. And has been out for a month. I can now get it for 5 less than a release day physical copy going through additional distributors. When it has a discount.

Nothing else interests me either, but this is cool to see I guess.

hazabaza1:
Oh boy, I can now get Titanfall for 35!

I paid 22 for Titanfall.

One thing I'll say for EA, their policy of regional price fixing has saved me some serious money over the last year, if I'd paid full price for Titanfall I'd be very disappointed indeed, but for twenty quid it's pretty good.

Zipa:

David DeMartini and John Riccitiello got shoved out the door, that's what.

I honestly never thought I'd ever buy anything off of origin but I'll be damned if I'm turning down BF 2142 for a fiver!

Well played origin, well played!

Good job EA! You held a pretty little sale!

You get a little happy sun sticker for your kindergarten level "Running a digital distribution service" assignment.

Maybe one day, if you study hard enough, you can be just like your uncle Steam!

On a more serious note, I may actually buy a thing or two.

Darth Sea Bass:
I honestly never thought I'd ever buy anything off of origin but I'll be damned if I'm turning down BF 2142 for a fiver!

Not to be a downer but Amazon had it for less then 1$ a week ago.

And wasnt The Saboteur priced at 5$ already? Im almost sure it was as I have been in eyeing it for a while.

It might be different in the American store, but in the European store almost everything has the base price of a brand new game (including those that have been out for several years), which really makes the discount pointless as you can get better prices at a store, or at a Steam sale if Origin isn't holding that particular game hostage.

Well, it's still origin. They could be gifting all the games for all I care and I still wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. Then again I live in Europe and the fiasco with the languages and versions is still unacceptable, has been since 2009.

Mirrors Edge is pretty cheap at 2.49. Now I know you're thinking "wasn't that 75% off on Steam back in February?". It was, but the base price on Steam is 14.99, which would be 3.75 with 75% off.

Moral of story - compare base prices, not just discounts. Also, get Mirrors' Edge if you haven't already, it's great.

the only thing on there that interests me is the c&c collection but i don't know

Zipa:

That was the first thing that came to mind when I looked at the title. Good show.

But really, I don't like Origin and will try to avoid it and EA. They've dropped the ball on nearly everything released recently. I don't look too kindly on killing Dungeon Keeper and their handle on ratings. I will await the day they change course.

Big Whoop. They still heavily employ the "Fuck Australia Tax", Titanfall is $64, and BF4 only hits $40. Guess what EA, both are cheaper on Kinguin.

Fuck you EA.

Sincerely, Australia.

Zipa:

They remembered who they were and that they were okay with that.

*looks at Mass Effect 3 DLC*

Same price. What a ripoff.

Not everything is on sale, and as I noted in the post, the price cuts aren't as dramatic as we often see in Steam sales: there's nothing 75 percent or 90 percent off, 50 percent is the max. And really, if there's absolutely nothing in this sale that you see as a pretty good deal, not one single game, then I think maybe you're just determined to hate Origin no matter what it does.

Well that was interesting. Not sure what happened there, but no need to repeat myself.

Dragon Age: Origin is $5, that is a fantastic deal. Although I have it.

Crysis 3 for $9! I want it so bad (but it's $20 here in Australia for the deal).

I may as well pick up The Saboteur for $5, I've heard good things about that.

not bad. i was actually surprised with the "on the house" game. till now dead space 1 is for free and i actually got it. as skeptical i was first but it didnt charge me a single cent for it. got the entire game for free. thats actually really nice of EA.
shame that i already payed full price for titanfall with its season pass but hell, i still enjoy the crap out of it and havent regret it.

Zipa:

They realized that Steam has already set a precedent that makes portions of the community believe that full releases should cost slightly more than a cellphone game.

Andy Chalk:
And really, if there's absolutely nothing in this sale that you see as a pretty good deal, not one single game, then I think maybe you're just determined to hate Origin no matter what it does.

Are you seriously just now realizing that some people on this site have an irrational seething hatred for EA on a level normally reserved for war criminals?

OT: Hmmm I kinda wish titanfall was more heavily discounted, I really want to pick that one up but $50 is still a bit much with how short on money I am right now. My breif experience with BF4 at a friend's house was enjoyable so I might pick that one up.

Oh wow! Titanfall on sale, and I've been waiting to pick up Simcity also!

Just kidding, I'm never going to buy another EA game until they have an ethics transplant. I hate EA, I hate the people who work there, I hate their shareholders, I hope they go bankrupt, I hope their studios crumble and I hope the ground they stood on gets salted.

Zipa:

look at the titles. i dont think there is anything left to "cheapen".

CpT_x_Killsteal:
Big Whoop. They still heavily employ the "Fuck Australia Tax", Titanfall is $64, and BF4 only hits $40. Guess what EA, both are cheaper on Kinguin.

Fuck you EA.

Sincerely, Australia.

It that USD or AUS?

Right now the NZ portal puts Titanfall at $71.99, whether that is in NZD (which puts it around $61 USD) or another currency is unknown.

major_chaos:

Zipa:

They realized that Steam has already set a precedent that makes portions of the community believe that full releases should cost slightly more than a cellphone game.

Or that there are people out there in the world that can't afford the $100+ it takes to buy the entire version of a triple A game at a semi regular basis.

Don't you just love it when people tar everyone by the same bush on the internet?

Ed130 The Vanguard:

Or that there are people out there in the world that can't afford the $100+ it takes to buy the entire version of a triple A game at a semi regular basis.

If you are referring to Australian price gouging then you have my sympathy but it doesn't really counter my point. If you are doing the thing where "A game without its DLC isn't a complete game" thing lets just say I cold not agree less and stop before my healbar gets any worse.

Don't you just love it when people tar everyone by the same bush on the internet?

Thus why I said "portions", as in "not everybody".

Don't you just love it when condescending people make baseless insults?

Andy Chalk:
then I think maybe you're just determined to hate Origin no matter what it does.

Wow, welcome to EA-hater central. Is it your first day?

So what? They finally understand one of the things that Steam is doing well and are trying to cash in so we should just give them money to encourage them to stop being customer-hating idiots? If only things were that simple.

Did they change the agreement on Origin so that I don't have to give them permission to scan my entire computer?(that bothers me for some reason) Did they stop blatantly lying to and insulting their customers? I'm going to assume no.

But good job EA, welcome to ten years ago.

(PS Didn't BF4 go half-price months ago?)

Do4600:
Oh wow! Titanfall on sale, and I've been waiting to pick up Simcity also!

Just kidding, I'm never going to buy another EA game until they have an ethics transplant. I hate EA, I hate the people who work there, I hate their shareholders, I hope they go bankrupt, I hope their studios crumble and I hope the ground they stood on gets salted.

i hate EA as well but really slowly, they are getting better. still skeptical of course.

titanfall has the EA logo on it but the game still belongs to respawn and its really a fun title. played it yesterday again and i just had a blast.

Holythirteen:

Did they change the agreement on Origin so that I don't have to give them permission to scan my entire computer?(that bothers me for some reason) Did they stop blatantly lying to and insulting their customers? I'm going to assume no.

they have actually changed the agreement and is not as intrusive as it was at the beginning. now its just like steam.

the last bit should be still true.

Ed130 The Vanguard:

CpT_x_Killsteal:

Fuck you EA.

Sincerely, Australia.

It that USD or AUS?

Right now the NZ portal puts Titanfall at $71.99, whether that is in NZD (which puts it around $61 USD) or another currency is unknown.

Last time I checked it put everything in USD, that was a while ago though. Either way, Kinguin doesn't wank itself with the "Fuck Australia Tax", so it's cheaper there no matter what.

Hey look, it's Steam Jr. Just you wait guys, in ten years Origin will have a huge following and everyone will be clamoring to forget that it was ever DRM shit. Much like Steam today...

I have to say some of the prices on Origin make me chuckle. They're still charging 20 bucks for Spore? Really? and its on sale for half price....so a tenner and this piece of shallow shit is yours.

josemlopes:

Darth Sea Bass:

Not to be a downer but Amazon had it for less then 1$ a week ago.

And wasnt The Saboteur priced at 5$ already? Im almost sure it was as I have been in eyeing it for a while.

I'm in the UK so it wouldn't really work for me. :/

Doom972:
It might be different in the American store, but in the European store almost everything has the base price of a brand new game (including those that have been out for several years), which really makes the discount pointless as you can get better prices at a store, or at a Steam sale if Origin isn't holding that particular game hostage.

I don't even glance at Origin. Its a dismal failure in my eyes. Forced upon the consumer with bullshit rhetoric about "Sales cheapening games" in order to justify their ludicrous pricing model and now they are having to accept reality. Discounting something that was horribly overpriced only makes it less of an insult, it does not make it a good deal.

I hate proprietary stores. 40-55 for a digital game is a fucking joke. Each Sims 3 expansion pack is still 15 down from 30. I find Origin's pricing frankly insulting and their policy of having a monopoly on certain games in order to try and strong-arm you into paying over the odds is still disgusting. Origin does not exist in a free market. It is still a terrible store.

If the C&C ultimate edition is $9.99, why is it 12.49 in the UK? Does EA not understand conversion rates, or are they just assholes?
I was tempted to buy something, seeing as I need Origin on my PC to be able to play Mass Effect anyway, but it says something that despite being on sale the games all still seem too expensive.

In a story about Origin which has nothing to do with Steam.

Steam mentioned 4 times
Origin mentioned 3

Please explain?

marurder:
In a story about Origin which has nothing to do with Steam.

Steam mentioned 4 times
Origin mentioned 3

Please explain?

1) this is the Escapist a very Pro PC and more or less anti console place.

2) The Escapist is also known for being that popular bandwagon of hate to jump on whenever EA so much as rears it's head, Origin or the company.

3) This site has more Pro Steam users than Origin or Uplay so without having to do the math it's made clear that this site will never ever change it's tune when it comes to Steam or EA, I know this because so far nothing has changed at all within the past 6 or so years and I expect the same bandwagon to go on for longer.

I for one have no problem with Origin, sure I can hate EA myself at times but by no means did they personally come to my house, kill my dogs and my family but some people on here like to believe that's true on a personal level.

There's even some people on here (and a lot on Steam) that believe Origin is spyware and that it's bad DRM (even though Steam as of late is just as bad with being DRM), Uplay also needs more work but all in all the 3 of them can be as bad as each other, the fans just don't ever want to admit that, which has also been proven recently by the "Why the Steam hate?" thread.

Andy Chalk:
... then I think maybe you're just determined to hate Origin no matter what it does.

I openly admit that I hate Origin and Electronic Arts no matter what they do. Since 2008, I've been doing everything in my power to diminish their market share. They are completely irredeemable in my eyes and only the complete failure of their business will suffice.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here