Despite Titanfall, The PS4 Still Outsold the Xbox One in March

Despite Titanfall, The PS4 Still Outsold the Xbox One in March

Titanfall New

Titanfall did, however, take the number one spot on the software chart.

Despite all the hype for Microsoft-exclusive mechtastic shooter Titanfall, it still hasn't managed to move more Xbox Ones than PS4s in March, reveals the official NPD sales numbers. That's not to say that Titanfall performed poorly, as it still sits in the number one spot on the software sales chart, above the PS4 exclusive Infamous: Second Son. Could it be all those Titanfall gamers are playing it on the PC, rather than Microsoft's box?

Here's the full sales chart below:

1. Titanfall (Xbox One, PC)
  2. Infamous: Second Son (PS4)
  3. South Park: The Stick of Truth (360, PS3, PC)
  4. Call of Duty: Ghosts (360, PS4, PS3, Xbox One, Wii U, PC)
  5. Dark Souls II (PS3, 360)
  6. Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes (PS4, Xbox One, PS3, 360)
  7. NBA 2K14 (360, PS4, PS3, Xbox One, PC)
  8. Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster (PS3, Vita)
  9. The Lego Movie Videogame (360, PS3, 3DS, Wii U, Xbox One, PS4, Vita)
  10. Minecraft (360)

"As seen in the past few months, hardware sales for March 2014 saw strong growth over March 2013," NPD analyst Liam Callahan said in a statement. "Sales increases were driven completely by consoles sales due mainly to continued success from the PS4 and Xbox One."

Microsoft confirmed that it sold 311,000 Xbox Ones in March, and while Sony has yet to make an official comment, estimates put PS4 sales at around 370,000. So while it did beat the Xbox One, it wasn't by a huge margin, and it's very clear that both consoles are selling well.

If you're noticing a distinct lack of PC games on this list, it's because the NPD sales charts only takes into account games sold at physical brick-and-mortar video game stores.

Source: Venture Beat

Key word for sales too "Video game stores" as in console game stores with one rack of PC games. Anyway this is just more hype to be expected when a new console is released, next week it will be back to PC gaming is dead and the battle of which is the best console leaving Nintendo out on the fringe saying "Hey! what about me???".

Also ofcourse they are selling well, all the hype for the new hardware and all the fanboys are flocking to buy. Sane thing happened when the 360 and ps3 was released and all the sales comparisons playing right into the manufacturers hands.

Despite titanfall?

oh sure it sold well...but its hardly a system seller..that game is at least 60 hype

Xbox one with $50 discount and hyped game sold 60,000 less than a still supply constrained PS4 in Microsoft's key territory.

There you go.

We don't need a sales report every month. At this point it's a news story if the PS4 doesn't outsell the Xbox. Also "despite titanfall"?. Not even the most ravenous of fanboys honestly thinks thought that titanfall would be a major game changer, especially seeing as it's an fps that's also on PC.

Revolutionary:
We don't need a sales report every month. At this point it's a news story if the PS4 doesn't outsell the Xbox. Also "despite titanfall"?. Not even the most ravenous of fanboys honestly thinks thought that titanfall would be a major game changer, especially seeing as it's an fps that's also on PC.

But if they don't give a sensationalized sales report every month, how will the Escapist degenerate into a fanboy circlejerk? Who doesn't want to be IGN?

Also, the NPD is so limited in it's scope that it hardly matters on a global scale. Dunno how it is in the states, but in europe XB1s keep piling up in shops because no one buys them.

Wow, South Park is selling this damn well? Maybe this is the windfall Obsidian needs, they've had a rough couple of years, generally creating flawed masterpieces, which almost never sell as well as the polished blandness of the big AAA series.

erbi79:
Also, the NPD is so limited in it's scope that it hardly matters on a global scale. Dunno how it is in the states, but in europe XB1s keep piling up in shops because no one buys them.

Well, according to sales data I have seen, the Xbox One is selling very well in North America. Still being beaten by the PS4, though. Once you go outside of North America, the sales are almost laughably lopsided in favor of PS4. 2-1 (almost 3-1) in every region sort of lopsided.

Don't think it's even available in Japan, yet, but I seriously doubt Xbox One will move any meaningful number of units there. Japan has pretty much rejected Xbox systems on the whole.

Steven Bogos:
"As seen in the past few months, hardware sales for March 2014 saw strong growth over March 2013,"

Are we supposed to take it as news that hardware sales in March of 2014 were better than hardware sales in March of 2013, when you consider that March of 2014 saw the recent release of a new hardware cycle? Meaning as opposed to March of 2013 which came during a time when nearly everyone that wanted hardware already had it.

To me that's like saying that there was an increase in the sale of light bulbs in March of the year following the invention of light bulbs, versus March the year before when light bulbs had yet to be invented. Not my best analogy, but I hope you see the point I'm trying to make that comparing March '14 to March '13 isn't apples to apples.

3DS - 159,000
Wii U - just over 70,000
Wii - 28,000
PS Vita - a little over 10,000
PSP - around 5,000

Well, it would be interesting to know how much money Microsoft spend to secure that Titanfall stays Microsoft-exclusive.
Seems to turn out being a good move, though.

Well who knew? Turns out that just because you say something is a system seller, doesn't automatically make it so. And only the first TitanFall is an Xbone/PC exclusive. They won't even have that when TitanFall 2 is announced. Better step up your game for E3 Microsoft, or you're screwed.

Its pretty clear that there isn't such a thing as a system seller on a large scale. In the short term, sure, as we saw with the case of Xbox Ones sale increases in the UK that everyone made a huge fuss about. However in the long term it just never seems to work out that way. A small (by comparison) amount of people will buy a console for a game, but the majority don't.

Heck, the biggest console seller I remember was actually somethin weird like Animal Crossing for the 3DS, but even that had tons of different factors added in.

Fat_Hippo:
Wow, South Park is selling this damn well?

I'm glad to see that as well. Maybe Ubisoft will get a clue about not making everything require uPlay. I know I wouldn't have bought TSOT if it had required uPlay.

shintakie10:
Its pretty clear that there isn't such a thing as a system seller on a large scale.

I don't know, Halo 5 is sure to move a ton of xbox ones, but by that time they will be so far behind it won't really matter.

Had Microsoft made sure that Halo 5 would be released earlier, the table may have turned, Titanfall would never do that.

arc1991:

shintakie10:
Its pretty clear that there isn't such a thing as a system seller on a large scale.

I don't know, Halo 5 is sure to move a ton of xbox ones, but by that time they will be so far behind it won't really matter.

Had Microsoft made sure that Halo 5 would be released earlier, the table may have turned, Titanfall would never do that.

Exactly, because history has shown us that if a console gets behind in sales, it can never catch up, right! Stick a fork in it, its done!

I give up. The doom and gloom just keeps right on coming, yet no one seems to realize the the Xbox One is actually selling VERY WELL. At this point, its the best selling console in their history. The PS4 is just selling even better. But people keep getting this math in their heads that if the PS4 sells more, than the One is failing, and that is simply not true.

Riff Moonraker:

Exactly, because history has shown us that if a console gets behind in sales, it can never catch up, right! Stick a fork in it, its done!

I give up. The doom and gloom just keeps right on coming, yet no one seems to realize the the Xbox One is actually selling VERY WELL. At this point, its the best selling console in their history. The PS4 is just selling even better. But people keep getting this math in their heads that if the PS4 sells more, than the One is failing, and that is simply not true.

I'm pretty much on your page, I just don't get the doom and gloom shit, well I kinda do a little since I see obvious hatred being displayed at different levels, using math can be one of them (yes that can actually be done ebfore anyone tries to tell me otherwise).

I don't see the Wii U failing into the ground and neither the XB1, people here with the doom and gloom just hate the stuff right off the bat because it doesn't appeal and grovel to them in a begging manner.

The Xbox One is still selling damn well considering they don't have nearly as many release regions (PS4 in Japan would have made a difference).

The Xbox One and PS4 are both selling really well. That's a bloody good thing.
Having the two systems be relativity close in units is good thing for competition and gaming.

Revolutionary:

Adam Jensen:
Well who knew? Turns out that just because you say something is a system seller, doesn't automatically make it so. And only the first TitanFall is an Xbone/PC exclusive. They won't even have that when TitanFall 2 is announced. Better step up your game for E3 Microsoft, or you're screwed.

Titanfall is also on the 360, so yeah you really don't need an Xbone to play it. Not sure if it's released yet though, would be interested in seeing how much it sells.

arc1991:

shintakie10:

I don't know about that. The last couple Halo games were not that great and the "x game will be a system seller for y console" argument has been used by a half dozen Wii U first party titles.

I think the days of the system seller are over and have been for a while. Consoles need libraries of games to sell. One good game just won't cut it anymore.

OP: I think the cannibalization of releasing Titanfall one 3 different platforms gave the X1 the short end of the stick in terms of unit moving potential. Pouring that much hype into a game that wasn't even an exclusive is kinda silly.

Irridium:

Titanfall is also on the 360, so yeah you really don't need an Xbone to play it. Not sure if it's released yet though, would be interested in seeing how much it sells.

It's already released on 360, but it's having a lot of launch issues from what I've heard.

I'm mostly happy about Final Fantasy X HD crushing sales of Lightning Returns, even though it's a decade old port of a PS2 game only available on one of the major consoles.

Pay attention, Square Enix.

I hate to use the phrase, but at this point is it fair to say PS4 won? Its the more successful of the two consoles, even with the Xbone's flagship title TitanFall being a whole big pile of just okay.
Now I don't have either of the new consoles 'cause they're hundreds of dollars and not on game looks fun enough to justify that. Especially while almost all those games come out for the PC too.
But since launch, the PS4 has done nothing but sell better than the Xbone. TitanFall was supposed to be the giant turn around, and to its credit, the few people i know who bought it liked it. But the important word in that was 'few'. Out of my dozen or so gamer friends, 2 bought it. Hate to generalize, but I imagine its similar in other gaming circles.

Silentpony:
snip

As much as I would like to say that "yes Playstation has won" that would be rather silly at this point. Only due to the fact that if you look at the last generation and how thoroughly the ps3 got stomped early on only to make a humongous comeback at the end of the generation.

OT:I'm glad to see that everything's going so well for both systems. I may hate the xbone but I'm still glad to see it doing well. Now Nintendo just needs to pick up the pace and I'll be even happier.

P.S sorry for any typos as I'm writing this on my phone

MinionJoe:

Fat_Hippo:
Wow, South Park is selling this damn well?

I'm glad to see that as well. Maybe Ubisoft will get a clue about not making everything require uPlay. I know I wouldn't have bought TSOT if it had required uPlay.

They'll probably try to interperate it as "what they want is Yearly South Park installments."

We can at least be thankful that Matt and Tray will reject that idea.

To be fair, Titan fall is not that innovative a game compared to what they originally had planned for it. It's basically call of duty with about 4 mech suits. Most of my friends are looking more forward to DESTINY.

Steven Bogos:

If you're noticing a distinct lack of PC games on this list, it's because the NPD sales charts only takes into account games sold at physical brick-and-mortar video game stores.

And this....this right here....is why NPD numbers have been a completely, utterly useless metric for years.

Seriously, why do we even bother listening to these analysts? They're so far behind the times they practically speak ancient Sumerian.

Also, I read this:

Despite all the hype for Microsoft-exclusive mechtastic shooter Titanfall, it still hasn't managed to move more Xbox Ones than PS4s in March

..as, "Despite how fantastic Titanfall turned out to be, it still wasn't enough to convince people to shell out 500 bucks for an overpriced, glitchy, pointless, corporate-friendly box of rubbish."

Steven Bogos:

The list lists Xbone and PC for Titanfall. Is it not counting PC numbers (I notice 360 is not listed here or the source)? It's puzzling to throw in only two of the three platforms unless they're both relevant.

Vault101:
Despite titanfall?

oh sure it sold well...but its hardly a system seller..that game is at least 60 hype

To you it may not be a system seller, but it was pretty much the only thing of note coming out that was even remotely exclusive, and so it was pinned as the "great white hope." Which maybe points to a bigger fault in Microsoft's business strategy than even the Xbone.

jackpipsam:
The Xbox One is still selling damn well considering they don't have nearly as many release regions (PS4 in Japan would have made a difference).

Of course, their biggest region is still North America, so restricting available markets isn't as huge as it might otherwise be. I'm not sure "damn well" is particularly accurate. But it comes off more as an excuse than anything else. The Wii sold well, period. The 360 sold well out of the gate, period. Now that their successors aren't doing as hot, it's an issue of "well, you have to factor in X Y and Z." Sony and their fans did the same thing last outing, too. It's absurd.

Vigormortis:

..as, "Despite how fantastic Titanfall turned out to be, it still wasn't enough to convince people to shell out 500 bucks for an overpriced, glitchy, pointless, corporate-friendly box of rubbish."

Especially since you can get those issues with Steam or Origin for free!

shintakie10:
Its pretty clear that there isn't such a thing as a system seller on a large scale. In the short term, sure, as we saw with the case of Xbox Ones sale increases in the UK that everyone made a huge fuss about. However in the long term it just never seems to work out that way. A small (by comparison) amount of people will buy a console for a game, but the majority don't.

Heck, the biggest console seller I remember was actually somethin weird like Animal Crossing for the 3DS, but even that had tons of different factors added in.

The system is the system seller. And when you add the things Microsoft did, and then pitch it the way Microsoft did...you still sell millions of consoles.

Goddamnit.

Revolutionary:

And 360 as well, well soon. I honestly never considered it worth a XBO since frankly anyone tho wants a XBO would have already planned to get it and one that doesn't can get the game on PC/360 anyway, kind of pointless to hype it so much just lines them up for these letdowns.

Zachary Amaranth:

Especially since you can get those issues with Steam or Origin for free!

Or on the 360.

As long as the Kinect boat anchor keeps the XB1 at $100 more and there aren't any killer exclusives, the PS4 is going to keep beating it. Halo 5 might sell a lot of units that month. Otherwise, little reason to shell out the extra $100 for next gen titles if you have to pick one.

I'm not surprised at all that this has happened. Your "enemy" is 100$ cheaper, that's a big deal to people that have a limited budget.

With that said, I find it rather pointless to buy either one since they have no games. I recommend you wait a couple of months at least before investing in one. Titanfall and Infamous aren't that great to be perfectly honest.

Be interesting to know how many copies Titanfall sold on PC (physically and digitally) compared to console.

Riff Moonraker:

arc1991:

shintakie10:

Its the Sony Ponies who are worse than the Nintendo Defence Force at the moment, at this point the PS4 is well ahead in sales but the Xbox One is still doing damn well. Its far from failing and is Microsofts fastest selling console yet, in its own terms and by its own right the Xbone is a huge success. The PS4 is an even bigger success and that is undeniable, Sony made a better piece of hardware for a better price but that doesn't erase the fact that the Xbox One is still doing incredibly well.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here