Spider-Man Producer Says No Marvel Crossovers Are Coming

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Spider-Man Producer Says No Marvel Crossovers Are Coming

spidey

"We don't need it yet," says longtime producer Avi Arad

The results, for the most part, have yet to start making serious development news, but Hollywood's new favorite gimmicks are crossovers and shared-universes; thanks to a rush to copy the success of Marvel Studios' mega-successful Avengers initiative. But don't expect to see Spider-Man going for any team-up gigs anytime soon - his producer is dead set against it.

"I think it will take a moment in which we've run out of ideas," Arad said in a recent interview with IGN, adding that "Peter Parker is unique; he's really different. He's not an Avenger. He's not an X-Man. He's unique and we revere that." Instead, Arad and Sony Pictures are concentrating on creating their own "universe" built exclusively within the Spider-Man mythos; with multiple sequels planned alongside spin-offs about The Sinister Six and Venom, among others.

Arad was part of the new leadership team that pulled Marvel Comics out of bankruptcy in the late-90s, and was at the forefront of creating the Marvel Studios movie brand with hits like X-Men and Sam Raimi's original Spider-Man. He resigned his positions with Marvel in 2006, shortly after the company struck the ambitious independent-financing deal that would eventually become The Marvel Cinematic Universe (he was still credited on the first Iron Man and The Incredible Hulk,) but remained a producer of the Sony-owned Spider-Man movies. He has been credited as a major force behind series-reshaping moves such as adding Venom to the cast of Spider-Man 3 (reportedly against the wishes of director Raimi) and the controversial 2010 decision to reboot the franchise entirely. In addition to Amazing Spider-Man, Arad's other post-Marvel projects have included Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance and Bratz: The Movie.

Amazing Spider-Man 2 debuts in the U.S. on May 2nd.

Source: IGN

Sounds like this Arad guy is thrusting his manhood in the way of greatness to ruin everyone's good time.

Spider-Man isn't an Avenger? Marvel begs to differ.

While a Spider-Man and Marvel cinematic universe crossover would be cool I am not that sad or angry if it doesn't happen. I would love to see an X-Men and Marvel cinematic universe crossover though.

No surprises here, they want to keep their cash cow to themselves. Jerks.

Also, Spider Man 3 would have been a way better movie without Venom... or should I say, without shoe-horning Venom into an already complete story for the sake of fan service. I love Venom, but do you know what I love more? Good movies.

It could only work as a reboot of Spidey inside of the MCU. MCU movies are all connected and they reference each other often. Just putting the existing Spider-Man in the middle of it all would make no sense. But if his origins story were to happen in the MCU that could work. I'm kind of pissed that Marvel can't make a Spider-Man movie. Imagine how awesome that would be.

Wow. Sounds like Arad is behind all the bad decisions... making Spidey 3 a convoluted mess by adding Venom, rebooting a movie franchise that really didn't need it...

and those other movies are not exactly good either, now are they?

The problem is that Fox/ Columbia/ any other studio just can't make good superhero movies with any kind of consistancy. Look at X-men and X2. They were pretty okay... at the time. Now that we've seen what CAN be done with the genre they pale in comparison to even some of the most mediocre examples. The only decent movie i think they have ever made is X-Man First class and that's because the production was taken out of their hands by British film making great Matthew Vaughn. Meanwhile Brain Singer has been responsible for directing such 'classic' films as Jack the Giant Slayer. I don't hold out a huge amount of hope for days of future past.

The Fox/ Columbia producers don't know the first thing about what they are doing. They are simply desperate to prevent Marvel from taking their licenses back and producing something infinitely better.

I think it's pretty much a unanimous conclusion that anyone holding a Marvel licence other than Marvel is a dickhole for doing so.

I haven't seen the new Spiderman and I will not see the sequel either because I do not want to encourage the holder to retain the franchise.

This extends to the Xmen films.

NoeL:
Also, Spider Man 3 would have been a way better movie without Venom... or should I say, without shoe-horning Venom into an already complete story for the sake of fan service.

Honestly, I think Venom actually works in Spider-Man 3 far better than Sandman does. Having Sandman be responsible for Uncle Ben's death means Peter wasn't, and therefore he has no reason to be Spider-Man. Take Sandman out of the movie and you have Peter and Harry wrestling with their dark sides via Venom and the New Goblin, and an ending which sees both of them rejecting that darkness without the extra complication of the Sandman. To my mind, that's a much better film.

Give it a few years and when the Spidey universe fails he will be begging to add spidey to the Avengers, even as a cameo. Funny thing from watching the S2 trailer is how brighter it is compared to the first movie. You would think they would all do deals and rent other characters from each other and thus would be advertisement for their own franchises. Spidey and Xmen are advertising in each other movies in May, which is dumb as its meaningless when their competitor has a movie in August with Guardians.

This is about as chocking to me as the news, that Guardians of the Galaxy were going to be tying into the overall MCU, that was posted a few days ago.

I don't actually care if Spider Man was part of the MCU, I could go either way really.
The current Spider Man just do not fit though, it would be way too awkward to crowbar him into a largely tied together universe.

I don't want X-Men in there at all though. Maybe a few of them scattered around.
To me it would rob the heroes of their... uniqueness, I guess, if a billion mutants were also running around.

Abomination:
I think it's pretty much a unanimous conclusion that anyone holding a Marvel licence other than Marvel is a dickhole for doing so.

I haven't seen the new Spiderman and I will not see the sequel either because I do not want to encourage the holder to retain the franchise.

This extends to the Xmen films.

You and me pal, for some reason I am kinda happy that Fox and Sony got the rights to Marvel's biggest characters and in doing so Marvel was forced to developed their( at the time ) B-list characters like say Iron Man and Thor and look where they are now.

The once underdog are now on top and everybody wants to be like them.

MovieBob:

In addition to Amazing Spider-Man, Arad's other post-Marvel projects have included Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance and Bratz: The Movie.

That's probably the most journalistic and impartial looking "fuck this guy" I've seen in a while. The whole last paragraph, but especially this.

I don't mind The Amazing Spiderman, and ill probably like the second (Huge Spiderman fanboy here and i love seeing the character on screen...apart from Spiderman 3...) but wow this guy is an arse.

Really hope Marvel gets him back soon, not to fussed with X-men as i never really paid attention to them.

Also, question...Do Marvel have Fantastic 4 back?

"from the studio that brought you Thor"?

arc1991:
I don't mind The Amazing Spiderman, and ill probably like the second (Huge Spiderman fanboy here and i love seeing the character on screen...apart from Spiderman 3...) but wow this guy is an arse.

Really hope Marvel gets him back soon, not to fussed with X-men as i never really paid attention to them.

Also, question...Do Marvel have Fantastic 4 back?

"from the studio that brought you Thor"?

Nope.

Fox owns FF and will be rebooting the franchise as part of the existing X-men Universe soon, They've cast Kata Mara as Sue and Michael B. Jordan as Jonny which has pretty somewhat controversial (I'm game for it though)

My reaction to this whole article was a series of curses which would get me flagged...

Seriously, the pretentiousness astounds. I give no care to which universe (Fox or Marvel Studios) Sony would decide to ally with...they should just pick one already...

Barring that, and I've said this before, Sony should just start plugging in a few of their own IP's, which might fit in for such crosovers. Of course, this is assuming they are going for that particular angle, as Fox and WB seem to be. Right or wrong, admitted or not, each company seems to want their own version Avengers. If so, go for it, but do it the right way...

Antonio Torrente:
For some reason I am kinda happy that Fox and Sony got the rights to Marvel's biggest characters and in doing so Marvel was forced to developed their( at the time ) B-list characters like say Iron Man and Thor and look where they are now.

The once underdog are now on top and everybody wants to be like them.

It makes Marvel Studio's success look all the more real. Who in the mainstream movie audience had heard of Iron Man or Thor before Marvel deiced to make them central to their cinematic universe? Hell they've even made us take captain America seriously again.

Sony holds the rights to spider man because he can survive on brand alone. He is a very well known name. He is Marvel's flagship character. You could slap him on anything (and they frequently do) and it would get notice for that fact alone. That's what irks me about them too; they have an easy ride meanwhile Marvel have had to actually take risks and build something. "Amazing Spider man" reboot has been frankly unwatchable for me, it exists on name recognition alone and rides on the superhero wave that has been kept from crashing by Marvel studios.

The only reason someone like Sony or Fox hadn't bought the rights to Iron Man was because they couldn't easily make a quick buck from it. About 10 years ago those characters would have been considered "The Scraps" by major studios who lacked imagination or ambition. Now i bet they would salivate at the chance to pick up even a minor Marvel property.

Great...

Instead of putting spider man into a GOOD movie lets just keep milking him as the cash cow we have made him into...

*sigh*

And this is why, when they inevitably do the Clone Saga, every single clone will have their own spinoff movie. They're trying to mine Spider-Man for all it's worth, but it's not a mine, it's a little hole in the ground, not really designed for supporting a bunch of spinoffs.

MovieBob:
"I think it will take a moment in which we've run out of ideas," Arad said in a recent interview with IGN

You already have. The last movie you made was devoid of anything resembling a "good idea". The plot was stupid, the character of Parker dumbed down into some strange fusion of Parker and Edward Cullen, the villain was comprised of bad CGI and his plan was idiotic, and "swinging the cranes" could quite possibly be this movie's "nuking the fridge" in terms of how stupid and ridiculously difficult to believe as it was. I literally could not possibly be LESS excited for the next film.

"Peter Parker is unique; he's really different. He's not an Avenger. He's not an X-Man. He's unique and we revere that."

He was offered membership into the Avengers twice in the comics: back in the 60s and again in the 80s. He became a member in 2000. Something Arad should know, since he was employed with Marvel until 2006. So Arad clearly doesn't know how Spider-man history as well as he wants to pretend.

And no, while not an X-Man, Spider-man has worked with the X-Men a number of times.

Instead, Arad and Sony Pictures are concentrating on creating their own "universe" built exclusively within the Spider-Man mythos; with multiple sequels planned alongside spin-offs about The Sinister Six and Venom, among others.

Have they actually put any thought whatsoever into how this is supposed to work?

How do they plan on building spin-off movies around the Sinister Six? Spider-man would have to be their hero of choice as that's the only one they own, so it's not even really a "spin-off" then, is it? Unless they plan to center the movie entirely around the villains, which is a bone-headed decision. I can't recall a movie that's ever done it particularly well. Though I can think of one that might manage to pull it off....and ironically, that movie is ALSO coming from Disney's side of the playing field.

Sony needs to admit defeat now and offer to sell the rights to Spidey back for a decent sum. Marvel will happily pay it. If they insist on milking the Spidey franchise like this, they'll eventually run the property so deep into the ground that they'll have to beg Marvel to take it back.

He has been credited as a major force behind series-reshaping moves such as adding Venom to the cast of Spider-Man 3 (reportedly against the wishes of director Raimi) and the controversial 2010 decision to reboot the franchise entirely. In addition to Amazing Spider-Man, Arad's other post-Marvel projects have included Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance and Bratz: The Movie.

There are times when we don't get along, Bob, but I love you for this last paragraph.

MovieBob:
He has been credited as a major force behind series-reshaping moves such as adding Venom to the cast of Spider-Man 3 (reportedly against the wishes of director Raimi) and the controversial 2010 decision to reboot the franchise entirely. In addition to Amazing Spider-Man, Arad's other post-Marvel projects have included Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance and Bratz: The Movie.

You forgot the masterpiece that was 'Roboseipian' "From the producer of Iron man, X-Men and Spiderman"

Surely being an Avi Arad film is a mark of quality.

This is good, but for the complete opposite reason the guy said. Spiderman needs to have a GOOD movie series before he's ready to step up with the avengers. The Sam raimi trilogy was too campy, the new movies are too twilight crappy, as movie bob stated. I'm looking forward to a future reboot that's worthy of standing beside the current avengers and their individual movies.

edit: they should get the Whedon brothers to draft a script.

also, this guy is acting like an Avenger tie in would somehow harm his shitty franchise, when I guarantee a Spiderman movie that has iron man pop in for a second and wave hello, would be the most profitable spidey yet haha.

Good job ignoring what your primary audience wants. By refusing to provide this, you are sabotaging yourself. I hope your terrible movies fail and you are forced to give up these rights you cling to, so we can finally get the Spiderman movie we actually want.

"Peter Parker is unique; he's really different. He's not an Avenger. He's not an X-Man. He's unique and we revere that." comes across as a bit arrogant. Something like
"Peter Parker is unique; he's really different. He's not always an Avenger. He only sometimes interacts with the X-Men. He's unique and we revere that." is probably a bit more accurate.

I just want to see Hulk beat Hugh Jackman up, okay? No more Wolverine Origin stories! He's had three already! (XMEN 2, good though it was, is Wolverine Origins 0.5)

"He's not an Avenger."

Yes he is. So is Wolverine.

But then, he seems to think that a cross over is a move you pull when sales are starting to dip.

Oh well, I've no interest in this new Spider Man anyway, so I'll just wait till they fuck it up so bad Marvel has to take it back due to damaging the Spider Man IP, >.> still waiting on them to do that with the IPs Fox has to actually.

He specifically mentions that Spider-Man isn't part of the Avengers or the X-Men (though he IS an Avenger and is a close friend of the X-Men), but I think I should point out he is part of the Fantastic Four and those two franchises absolutely must crossover at some point. Dear God please.

Yeah a lot of nice words to say we at Sony do not want to risk our ownership of Spiderman in the movies by working with Marvel any more then we have to. I really can't wait for sony to get their claws out of him and spiderman is used with greater thought then just issues of rights.

The only Marvel movies are Marvel Studio movies. The rest are just cheap knockoffs. Respect to what came before Iron Man because they paved the way towards perfection (especially the first two Blade movies) but X-Men, Fantastic Four and especially this new Spider-Man franchise are standing in the way of progress and only deserve to be ridiculed and ignored until they slink away in shame and the true versions of these properties can finally see the light of day.

I'm not excited for any of these "other" Marvel films, Days of Future Past has slightly peaked my interest but only because First Class was good and The Bent Bullet promo was fantastic.

I shall continue to protest with my wallet, not seeing any more Spider Man or X Man Movies until they can join the MCU where they belong.

No matter how much my children hate me for it.

It sounds like he's doing exactly what Marvel is doing with their movies, only he's keeping it within one movie-series universe. Which I don't think is a good idea. The reason the Marvel movies are working is because they build off of each other, but they can stand by themselves as well. They can get away with having so many different characters on screen because those characters are already established in other movies. By the looks of The Amazing Spider-Man 2, these guys seem to think the idea of "cram as many people as we can into the movie just like they did and we've got a winner," is going to work, and I fear all it's going to do is make the movie feel cluttered and full. These characters, especially the villains, aren't going to get a chance to shine because they're all going to be fighting for screen time.

I could be wrong I suppose, but I don't think so.

At this point, can't Disney pretty much just buy Sony Studios outright and be done with it?

Every part of Sony has been imploding (Playstation being the lone exception). Just step in with a bucket of money and buy up all of it. No more Sony pictures, Spectacular Spider-Man for 2017. Bam. Done.

CriticKitten:

There are times when we don't get along, Bob, but I love you for this last paragraph.

My sentiments exactly

OT: I dunno about the rest of you but I quite like watching this slow motion train wreck happening, sure it would be nice to actually have Magneto in the next Avengers, and see how spiderman would have reacted to the battle of New York. But it's great that Marvel is forcing other studios to finally innovate with their borrowed IPs. Even if the ideas are a bit bone headed.

"I think it will take a moment in which we've run out of ideas,"

The fact that you had to copy Batman Begins with the origin story when it was simple enough on its own and turn Peter into a pseudo-hipster says you're already there.

"Peter Parker is unique; he's really different. He's not an Avenger.

Yes, he is.

He's not an X-Man.

Not technically, but he does give lectures at the Academy of Tomorrow and he is well liked by them, often teaming up with Wolverine.

He's unique and we revere that."

And yet his character in your move came across as rather generic when it came to teenager archetypes. Still stand by it, PETER PARKER DOES NOT SKATEBOARD!

NoeL:
No surprises here, they want to keep their cash cow to themselves. Jerks.

Seems to just be Avi Arad being a dumbass. Marc Webb and Andrew Garfield both want to crossover with Marvel.
The irony of keeping their "cash cow" to themselves is that their movies aren't especially good, and a crossover with Marvel would legitimize them, make them WILDLY more popular, and probably net them some direction from Marvel as to how to do it properly.

They don't want to share their money, but that means they're also not making nearly as much as they could be....which is silly (and the same thing as EA not putting their games on Steam).

Maddeningly short-sighted humans....

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or