Palcohol - Powdered Alcohol - Approved For Sale in The US

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Palcohol - Powdered Alcohol - Approved For Sale in The US

Palcohol - Powered Alcohol - Has Been Approved For Sale in The US

Palcohol transforms a shot of vodka or rum into a small pouch of powder.

Tired of lugging around clunky bottles to parties? Want to purchase your booze more discreetly? Palcohol may be the product for you. The product, which has been approved for sale by the Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau (TTB), is exactly what it sounds like: a powered form of alcohol that you mix with water to make a drink.

To start off, the company plans to make margarita, mojito, cosmopolitan, and lemon drop "pre-mixed drink" flavors, as well as two "hard liquor" flavors: vodka and rum. The product's motto is "Take your Pal wherever you go!" and would seem to have its uses sneaking alcohol into places that traditionally have quite strict regulations, such as movie theaters, live venues, and sports events.

As for the "elephant in the room," that is, the concept of "snorting" the powered alcohol, the original version of the Palcohol website had the following to say:

Let's talk about the elephant in the room... snorting Palcohol. Yes, you can snort it. And you'll get drunk almost instantly because the alcohol will be absorbed so quickly in your nose. Good idea? No. It will mess you up. Use Palcohol responsibly.

It has since been updated to state that the powder is cut with enough filler to make snorting inefficient.

While the product does have TTB approval, there are also state regulations, and even if the government provided its full approval, retailers and wholesalers would still have to get on board. Nevertheless, Palcohol's founder says that he plans the product to hit liquor store shelves this fall.

Source: The Verge

Unless it is cheaper or actually tastes good I can't really see myself purchasing any of these. It doesn't seem to have much a purpose when carrying around alcohol isn't really an issue unless you need to take it somewhere you generally shouldn't be anyway.

Also typo in the title, it should be powdered alcohol and not powered alcohol, right?

Zyph73:
Unless it is cheaper or actually tastes good I can't really see myself purchasing any of these. It doesn't seem to have much a purpose when carrying around alcohol isn't really an issue unless you need to take it somewhere you generally shouldn't be anyway.

Also typo in the title, it should be powdered alcohol and not powered alcohol, right?

For times when space is an issue a "Just add water" alchohol could be really good like camping or long term storage or perhaps even military rations?

Steven Bogos:
Palcohol - Powered Alcohol - Approved For Sale in The US

What is the alcohol powered by, exactly?

Fossil fuels, solar, fission, bicycle, some kind of fusion? Please tell me, I'm quite intrigued.

Also, what does the powering of this alcohol actually achieve?

Does it allow the drink to perform rudimentary mathematical equations? Can we expect our beverages to someday possess a greater intelligence than our own? Could spirits someday rebel against us and establish an alco-centric society? Could the idea of an ale/human hybrid move from the realm of science fiction to science fact?

Alcohol

Powered by society's insatiable lust to text unwise things to former sex partners.

Edit: Steven, you fixed the typo and ruined my joke.

How dare you take your job seriously.

Great, so spiking drinks just got that much easier.

More inventions from the country that brought you aerosol cheese.

Edit:

Caiphus:
Alcohol

Powered by society's insatiable lust to text unwise things to former sex partners.

This is the best post ever.

had the idea for this 2 years ago but never got around to it, glad someone did since this would be very useful at football games and such where beer is 10 bucks a cup

Caiphus:
Alcohol

H-how did you know?!

But, isn't alcohol more like an oil? how is this even possible? when did we develop the technology to turn organic compounds that are liquids at room temperature into powders? why is everyone just accepting this as true?
As far as my knowledge of chemistry goes, this is completely impossible. ethanol (the alcohol is drinks) is its own organic compound: CH3CH2OH. Unless below -114 celsius it is a liquid. Since the powder is meant for outdoor use, and is clearly kept at room temperature, the only case I can think of is that the powder reacts with water to form alcohol. Maybe it is a mix of organisms and glucose, but that would take a long time.

As far as I can tell, this whole article is a troll. His website: http://www.palcohol.com/home.html even says the way they make it is secret. If someone has any more information proving me wrong my bad, otherwise, i'm calling bullshit.

I can already tell this is a bad idea given that I live in a country that's well known for people becoming excessively drunk and violent

iblis666:
had the idea for this 2 years ago but never got around to it, glad someone did since this would be very useful at football games and such where beer is 10 bucks a cup

they don't let people bring in their own alcohol so they can refuse sale to intoxicated people

mathsisfun:
But, isn't alcohol more like an oil? how is this even possible? when did we develop the technology to turn organic compounds that are liquids at room temperature into powders? why is everyone just accepting this as true?
As far as my knowledge of chemistry goes, this is completely impossible. ethanol (the alcohol is drinks) is its own organic compound: CH3CH2OH. Unless below -114 celsius it is a liquid. Since the powder is meant for outdoor use, and is clearly kept at room temperature, the only case I can think of is that the powder reacts with water to form alcohol. Maybe it is a mix of organisms and glucose, but that would take a long time.

As far as I can tell, this whole article is a troll. His website: http://www.palcohol.com/home.html even says the way they make it is secret. If someone has any more information proving me wrong my bad, otherwise, i'm calling bullshit.

I know very little about chemistry.

But!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_powder

The actual website seems remarkably unprofessional, but hey.

heroicbob:
I can already tell this is a bad idea given that I live in a country that's well known for people becoming excessively drunk and violent

iblis666:

they don't let people bring in their own alcohol so they can refuse sale to intoxicated people

Thats the point, its harder to sneak clinking bottles and clanking cans into places. A few packets of powder and an empty carton + water and away you go.

If I take a spoonful & apply heat, will I be able to inject?

Ever since I stopped drinking to get drunk and started drinking to savour the taste of particular drinks, like single-malt Whisky, I doubt I could appreciate a product like that. It may be capable of making you drunk, but I sincerely doubt it can taste anything like a proper drink.

Anyone else think that the way that the "elephant in the room" disclaimer is worded, it may as well be a ringing endorsement for frat-folk everywhere to snort it immediately?

I bet for an encore the sites update says something along the lines of "Palcohol is cut with enough filler to make snorting it innefficient, but here is a link to a few sites which will provide you directions on how to do it more efficiently, which you should NEVER ever do.... srsly folks, It's bad mmmkay?"

Caiphus:
Alcohol

Also can lead to calling them at 3am when your texts go unanswered.

because a white powder will never be confused for anything else I mean why would anyone be hiding a white powder on them there is nothing else like that you could possibly confuse this with so there will be exactly no problems what so ever right?.

Can't find any US patent applications in his name or assigned to Lipsmark.

So what if you added this to actual alcohol? Would you get Ultra-alcohol or would it just sink sadly to the bottom. I love the "totally don't do this guys, it will give you an awesome buzz but snorting it is bad." disclaimer. Now no stupid teenager is ever going to do that.

I've always wanted to snort and smoke alcohol inbetween glasses of bourbon.

Ugg this is a really bad idea. I wish as humans we were not so obsessed with messing ourselves up.

Well, Reuters news service at least seems to think powdered alcohol is real, according to one of the links off the Wikipedia page.

I wonder how/if it burns?

Why. Why? I already dislike the idea of alcohol because it raises the chances of doing something bad or regretful. But some people atleast know their limits, but putting it in powdered form sounds like alcohol poisoning waiting to happen. processing all that alcohol at once from snorting it(And it will happen. A lot. By people who don't know what alcohol is.) and lots of drunk driving.
Why is this alcohol a good idea?

Might be a cool ingredient to play around with for the molecular cooking geeks.

Wait.....wait,......WTF.....holy *****! What are these idiots of the government thinking? Pot/weed/marijuana is still illegal, despite it's proven medical benefits and lack of long term health hazards; yet alcohol, a substance proven to have long term [negative] brain effects and short term impairment, is getting approved as a powdered substance that can be basically sniffed up the nose and directly to the brain?!

I don't want to live on this planet any more....

That disclaimer reminds of prohibition era grape blocks.
Which included precise and specific instructions of exactly what you should not do to turn it into wine and hence break the law.

Deathfish15:
Wait.....wait,......WTF.....holy *****! What are these idiots of the government thinking? Pot/weed/marijuana is still illegal, despite it's proven medical benefits and lack of long term health hazards; yet alcohol, a substance proven to have long term [negative] brain effects and short term impairment, is getting approved as a powdered substance that can be basically sniffed up the nose and directly to the brain?!

I don't want to live on this planet any more....

Actually no one's going to snort alcohol. Aside from the fact that the pain would be out of this world. Not to mention it would actually be less efficient than simply drinking the stuff.The amount of alcohol that can diffuse into the blood across the membranes in your sinuses and nose are actually quite small.. since the surface area is much smaller compared to the stomach and gi tract. It's used for drugs because many of these drugs actually lose poetncy after a bath in stomach acid. Alcohol has no such problem.

Secondly alcohol has no negative effects ... if used within reasonable limits, just like pot, and actually has quite a few health benefits as well, not the least of which is pain mitigation. See while many people are quick to point out all the health problems alcohol causes.. those are just the cases where the stuff is consumed to ridiculous excess. And no Alcohol doesn't kill braincells...it messes with your brain chemistry... just like pot/weed/etc.

so

palcohol + water = alcohol + ?

synobal:
Ugg this is a really bad idea. I wish as humans we were not so obsessed with messing ourselves up.

Yea, something tells me this is going to be even less healthy than regular alcohol. Also, let the record show that just telling someone not to snort something, has never actually prevented them from snorting it. Their target demographic has been known to drink Windex when their vodka supplies run low, so this new invention doesn't exactly fill me with confidence.

Some people just really gotta get their body ruining fix. I know I can't go a day without slicing sections of my skin off!

Nope. Drinking is a social thing, you chat, you drink. Snorting beer just sounds awful - only addicts would love that. For me, drinking is about the social and interacting with friends, not just getting drunk. This powder alcohal seems like its invented by 16 year olds who think drinking is just about getting drunk.

Ethanol is a liquid at ambient temperatures so I would like to know how this works exactly. Unless the powder acts as a non toxic absorbent for the ethanol but that would give damp powder and sounds unlikely. If any one knows please tell me I am a chemist and this interests me !

well, i can see this as a good thing for long term storage. and if this is not a hoax (because it seems that it does nto exist anywhere but on that website) then it may just get traction. im not a drinking person, but i would certainly want to carry few grams of powerder rather than two bottles given the chance.

FancyNick:
So what if you added this to actual alcohol? Would you get Ultra-alcohol or would it just sink sadly to the bottom. I love the "totally don't do this guys, it will give you an awesome buzz but snorting it is bad." disclaimer. Now no stupid teenager is ever going to do that.

since there is a lot of water in regular acoholic drinks (unelss you mean pure alcohol, in which case you wouldnt be able to drink it anyway. well, drink and live that is), this would likely react and increase the concentration, if different tastes probably be a mix. not like people havent tried to spice beer with vodka before.

SadisticFire:

Why is this alcohol a good idea?

why is ANY aocohol a good idea? because humans.

BigTuk:

Actually no one's going to snort alcohol. Aside from the fact that the pain would be out of this world. Not to mention it would actually be less efficient than simply drinking the stuff.The amount of alcohol that can diffuse into the blood across the membranes in your sinuses and nose are actually quite small.. since the surface area is much smaller compared to the stomach and gi tract. It's used for drugs because many of these drugs actually lose poetncy after a bath in stomach acid. Alcohol has no such problem.

Secondly alcohol has no negative effects ... if used within reasonable limits, just like pot, and actually has quite a few health benefits as well, not the least of which is pain mitigation. See while many people are quick to point out all the health problems alcohol causes.. those are just the cases where the stuff is consumed to ridiculous excess. And no Alcohol doesn't kill braincells...it messes with your brain chemistry... just like pot/weed/etc.

Sinuses wont alow much in, however i wonder what would be the result of it trying to react with moisture in our lungs as if it were water trying to create alcohol. that can be quite dangerous.

Alcohol has benefits, in small doses. drinking it is already above such doses. Pain migation, we already got more effective and less harmful ways of doing that (cheaper too), and even if we didnt, Weed is multutude of times better for such purpose. alochol as a painkiller is akin to using aspirin to cure cancer.

iblis666:
so

palcohol + water = alcohol + ?

whatever filler they are using. which for all we know may just be potatoes.

SonOfVoorhees:
Nope. Drinking is a social thing, you chat, you drink. Snorting beer just sounds awful - only addicts would love that. For me, drinking is about the social and interacting with friends, not just getting drunk. This powder alcohal seems like its invented by 16 year olds who think drinking is just about getting drunk.

drinking is a social thing for you. There are plenty of people that drink alone, there are plenty of people that dont like having to carry a bunch of heavy drinks around, all kinds of people. There ARE people who think the purpose of drinking is to get drunk.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_powder

apparently the alcohol is just absorbed into a separate medium that is water soluble, so it's cheating, but with SCIENCE!

also the approval might have been an error so you're not gonna see it for sale for a while

Saying "it will mess you up if you snort it" is just telling people to snort it!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here