Dragon Age: Inquisition Box Art Revealed

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Dragon Age: Inquisition Box Art Revealed

Dragon Age: Inquisition box art

And lo, the Inquisitor raised his arm to the Heavens as he spoke unto his massed followers, "Hey, check out this swanky cover art!"

It may not seem terribly relevant to digital devotees but for box enthusiasts like myself, a game's cover art is an essential part of the whole package. Good cover art will draw your eye and generate interest and intrigue; bad cover art can make your game look stupid while it's still sitting on the shelf.

And what do we think of the Dragon Age: Inquisition box art? It's pretty enough and clever in a way, but kind of boring too, isn't it? That's entirely my humble opinion, obviously, but there's nothing about the "bad guy makes lone stand against the massed forces of evil" motif that really floats my boat. Feel free to point out that I didn't care for Dragon Age: Origins and thus may well be biased against the whole thing, but even discounting that, as much as a biased observer is able to do so, it really doesn't ring my bell.

Here, take a closer look:

But enough about me - what do you think? Is this a quality cover that charges you up for more Dragon Age, or is the whole concept of box art just a silly anachronism?

Dragon Age: Inquisition is being developed for the Xbox 360, Xbox One, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4 and PC, and is expected to come out this fall.

Hmmm, I LIKE it. It's certainly a bit more thematic than DA II was(with it's almost stereotyped "Grizzled male lead walking towards the viewer"). It harkens back more to the first games title art with the stenciled outline made from something else.

Well, the design doesn't do anything new for me, but I like the colors and shades. The background looks a little dull, though - a few figures of the key characters wouldn't have gone amiss here, I feel.

EDIT: It's taken me a while to notice the dragon...my skills appear to be slipping. It's a very nice touch. I wonder what the significance of the diamond inside the O is?

Well, I like one thing about it now. It's a really nice looking box art.

I like it. It isn't too cluttered, the perspective leaves the character's gender ambiguous, and green is honestly not a color I see enough of in box art these days (even if it is only a little).

I think this is really good stuff compared to most box arts. I guess it might be a bit washed out, but the art is gorgeous and I love the composition.

Compared to any of the Mass Effect covers this is friggin' Da Vinci

EDIT:

Tactical Pause:
the perspective leaves the character's gender ambiguous

This is really nice too. I hadn't even thought about that, but yeah definitely worth a thumbs up

Adam Jensen:
Well, I like one thing about it now. It's a really nice looking box art.

I know right? How could you go wrong with black and green because Alien and Xbo....Oh yeah. There's even some orange in it, by the gods.

Gonna parrot everyone else, that's pretty box art if I ever saw some box art. Certainly a break from Bioware's typical "here's some dude looking at you all stoic-like with his best buds right behind him. Mhm, yes sir."

Also ties into the story of the game with the whole demunz and green rifts and dragons and the chosen o-- GOD DAMN IT

FUCK.

I mean, yeah, good.

(I'm actually excited for it on top of that though. Seems like a genuine effort this time around)

Barbas:

EDIT: It's taken me a while to notice the dragon...my skills appear to be slipping. It's a very nice touch. I wonder what the significance of the diamond inside the O is?

"Sir, this O seems unmolested"
"Stick a diamond into it"
"B-but can't we occupy the negative space with something meaning--"
"Does 'meaningful' look like a studded diamond?"
"Um-"
"The right answer is, 'yes'"

You're just lucky the Q got away from the bedazzlement.

looks pretty good to me, but then again its still early so itll probably change. Now lets see how long it takes for someone to make this all about bitching about how bioware ruins everything......

Looks pretty good, if generic (there is nothing about that cover that would make you think Inquisition). Heck, it could easily be a heavy metal album cover. It SHOULD be a heavy metal album cover.

The only complaint I have is how much more prominent the EA logo is than the Bioware logo. Like that EA logo is going to make you any sales.

I'm liking the 'hidden' dragon, keeping consistency between the previous boxart. It ranks higher than DA2, but below DAO's simple yet interesting boxart.
Getting excited with the game, and hopefully this doesn't end with hype suicide unlike a certain other game...

Cover art isnt an issue for me when buying a game then again i do just sell games when im done with them. :-) Anyway, the art is generic and passable for what it is.

It's some nice piece of art and I like that it doesn't shove [PREMADE ADVERTISEMENT CANON MAIN CHARACTER] in there just standing around looking of in the distance like one series I could mention, it's even pretty much gender neutral which is cool.

But yeah not a big fan of the "stand against Dark Evil Army of Darkness" thing seemingly being in focus.
Well, at least it's not just another Blight.

At least it isn't another stubbly guy with brown hair pointing a sword/gun at you.

The design itself is pretty cool, and it certainly better than Dragon Age 2's. Like many people I feel that the broody looking hero staring at the camera is overdone (and for games with character creation, rather annoying).

I cannot help but notice the orange and blue colour scheme though. I am not sure what market research has led publishers to like this so much, but once people have brought your attention to it, it stands out in a bad way.

I can safely say that it influences my decision on whether or not to buy the game in no shape or form.

On the downside, it's a little boring. On the upside, it's not a grizzly-looking action hero posing his giant muscles for the camera. I dunno, it's somewhere in between for me.

Nice artwork and it will definitely stand out on the store shelves. Is it a totally amazing and unique piece of art? Not really but I think it does what it's trying to do. If I had any complaint at all, it would be about the font used for Inquisition. I don't know what it is exactly, but something about that font just doesn't look right compared to the rest of the image.

It's... alright. Seems kinda flat to me with the character dead center, splitting the image. I guess moving the character to the side a bit and changing the shot angle would ruin the misty dragon thing they have going on.

Andy Chalk:
It's pretty enough and clever in a way, but kind of boring too, isn't it?

Name one Triple-A box cover that isn't.

These things are generally designed to look as non-confrontational as possible for the target audience. And the "meriad of stuff shaped like icon" is the hot design choice of the last 5 years, so it's really not that clever.

Gonna parrot everyone else and say that I'm glad they didn't put a glaring, stubbly, white dude front and center and call it a day. Now they just gotta show me the game. What I've seen of it so far hasn't impressed me much, but I'd love to be excited about Dragon Age again.

Casual Shinji:
Name one Triple-A box cover that isn't.

I actually quite like the Witcher 2 CE box, although maybe that's not an entirely fair comparison:

Metro: Last Light was pretty good too:

Your point has merit, the vast majority of box art is safe, predictable and dull, and it's tough picking out something recent and mainstream that breaks that mould. The Inquisition art manages to avoid being bad, I just don't see where it's particularly good either.

Tactical Pause:
I like it. It isn't too cluttered, the perspective leaves the character's gender ambiguous

That is obviously a dude, if it was a woman there wouldn't be any armor.

Well that sure is purdy! Reminds me a lot of disturbed with all the red glowing eyes on shadowed faces, also reminds me of the soul chamber level in Mortal Kombat with the green vortex.

Can we all agree... nothing will be more generic and bland than Mass Effect 2's cover art?

And then Mass Effect 3 got confused and thought it was Battlefield 3...

Honestly, sometimes a box cover is so bad, I make my own.

I'm a fan, easily the best of the series too. Origin's was really boring and I can't even remember 2's. But I'm a big fan of this one. Gives a feel of epicness, which the last game of the series should bring. It is the last of the series right?

I don't think it's jaw dropping, but it does make me very, very excited for a different reason:

Based on what we're seeing, it looks like I was right. The Veil isn't going to just tear, it's going to straight break. And I am so excited about this because I was terrified that the game was just going to be about the Mage-Templar War. And I find that mind-numbingly boring. I'm glad to see that Dragon Age has remembered that it has all this lore to work with and doesn't need to fall back into a 'civil rights' storyline.

No orange and teal for once! I like it.

I was expecting the standard floaty head affair, so colour me suprised.

oldtaku:
Looks pretty good, if generic (there is nothing about that cover that would make you think Inquisition). Heck, it could easily be a heavy metal album cover. It SHOULD be a heavy metal album cover.

We really do need more gameboxes with covers like heavy metal albums:

I'd play the heck out of that (It actually reminds me a lot of DOOM to be honest)

The cover is different from your normal dude bro cover so that is nice. The hidden mist dragon is pretty cool as well. I am looking forward to the game atm.

I enjoy this. The colors look nifty and something is actually happening in the art. People aren't just smiling (or scowling, grimacing, etc) for the camera.

Elfgore:
I'm a fan, easily the best of the series too. Origin's was really boring and I can't even remember 2's. But I'm a big fan of this one. Gives a feel of epicness, which the last game of the series should bring. It is the last of the series right?

Nope! It's non-tangential with the other games outside of the linearity of the timeline moving forward. They've said specifically that they want DA to be a universe which they can continue exploring rather than just making a trilogy.

It's not bad.
There are some positives to it. The colors are a little more exotic than we're use to, though the all mighty marketer blue and orange is ever present. And they had the foresight to apply no gender to the protagonist by having them face away from the viewer leading into peoples roleplaying, though again it still has that "American" flair of having to have an identifiable lead plastered somewhere.

Much preferred the simpler style of DA:O.
Thinking on it, are you sure that's the official box art? I'm on the fence about that, probably will swap it out for something closer to the DA 2/ME 2-3 box art, in keeping in with consistency.
Stay Classy, Bioware.

Nimcha:
No orange and teal for once! I like it.

Are we looking at the same cover? Granted the coloring is not as prominent but the ever present Marketer colors are there in the sword and the background.

Bland, boring, the flaming sword for flaming sword of badassery sake, oh and dragon shape because, well... dragon.

Yeah, lazily done is definitely something I'd say about it. It's as if they went from a somewhat interesting choice of box art with DA: Origins clean white background, with just the splash art of the dragon and title to provide the necessary definition of the character, without being male-centric. To Dragon Age 2 which was... God awfully bland in its own way while trying to appear "BADASS AND INTENSE F*** YEAH BLOODSPLOSION!", then there's the box art which is also the exact same thing.

This one is just trying too hard.

Very nice! It's a bit busy, especially compared to Dragon Age: Origins' cover, but it's absolutely a step above the standard fare.

Covers seem to be decreasing in importance as we move into a more download-focused market, so it's very nice to see that some companies are still putting in the effort.

Personally, I think it's a bit too flashy if anything. The nice thing about the covers of Dragon Age: Origins and Dragon Age II is their simplicity. I think it really gets across the point that this is a fantasy game where you can shape the events. This one still does that, but there's a lot more going on in the background and it kind of feels like the game is going to force a narrative in this one compared to the others. My humble interpretation, of course. :)

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here