Dragon Age: Inquisition Will Launch October 7

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Dragon Age: Inquisition Will Launch October 7

BioWare has set Dragon Age: Inquisition's release date and provided fans with a new gameplay trailer.

BioWare announced today Dragon Age: Inquisition will be available starting October 7. The announcement was included with a trailer the company released today. The two-minute video has plenty of action, beautiful landscapes, and returning character Varric. The news follows yesterday's reveal of Inquisition's box art.

The Inquisitor survives a cataclysmic blast that killed thousands, and no one knows how. A breach threatens to swallow the world as demons terrorize Thedas. The Inquisitor now stands as the one to restore order to the world and destroy the monsters that hope to tear the world apart.

The trailer is full of gameplay and shows footage of characters introduced in Dragon Age 2, like the witty dwarf Varric. It's not raining men, but it is raining demons, according to him. In a shot at the end with the characters standing together at a long table, you can even see a Qunari companion. Inquisition also marks the first time a player can be a Qunari.

Gameplay footage shows the Inquisitor casting powerful spells, rolling around, and making mincemeat of demons with a sword. Of course, there are also dragons - big ones, too.

Dragon Age: Inquisition comes to Xbox One, PS4, Xbox 360, PS3, and PC on October 7.

Source: YouTube

This all looks very good, but I wouldn't call it gameplay. In-game maybe, but show me the UI, some inventory management, what the game will look like as I play it.

From a story-side, I really hope they don't force the Chantry in a positive light this time around, or even the "Necessary evil" position. Everything they've done in these games from the organizational level has been awful. Don't mess it up like you did Cerberus, Bioware (They're racist, evil, and ruthless! Nevermind, they're just misunderstood. Fuck it, they're evil again, but dumber this time).

Mcoffey:
This all looks very good, but I wouldn't call it gameplay. In-game maybe, but show me the UI, some inventory management, what the game will look like as I play it.

From a story-side, I really hope they don't force the Chantry in a positive light this time around, or even the "Necessary evil" position. Everything they've done in these games from the organizational level has been awful. Don't mess it up like you did Cerberus, Bioware (They're racist, evil, and ruthless! Nevermind, they're just misunderstood. Fuck it, they're evil again, but dumber this time).

What was wrong with Cerberus? At the end of ME3 the Illusive Man's motives are very clear. He allowed himself to be indoctrinated to be able to control the Reapers. Everything he's done in the three games was to that end. Whether that's evil or not is up to the player, really.

Also I'm glad they're not going to release it until October. The longer the wait, the less chance there'll be of repeating the DA2 mistakes. I also quite like all the different environments.

7/10.

It's not often you can have the launch date and review score match like that.

Just kidding, I think Inquisition looks like it could be rather good

Son of a whore! I'm going to be back in school! I can't afford to spend time playing it. Give me a summer release damnit!

But I'm pretty psyched for this. I hope it doesn't become another disappointment.

I really don't want this to be bad.

After DA2 and SWTOR, I'm really withholding judgement.

Nimcha:

Mcoffey:

What was wrong with Cerberus? At the end of ME3 the Illusive Man's motives are very clear. He allowed himself to be indoctrinated to be able to control the Reapers. Everything he's done in the three games was to that end. Whether that's evil or not is up to the player, really.

Also I'm glad they're not going to release it until October. The longer the wait, the less chance there'll be of repeating the DA2 mistakes. I also quite like all the different environments.

In Mass Effect 1, they made it really clear that Cerberus are these irredeemable bastards. Then, everything in Mass Effect 2 was telling you that was just a few rogue cells and that they're really not so bad. Only a few people like Anderson and Ash/Kaiden had anything bad to say about them, if I remember correctly. Then they flip-flopped again and just made them completely evil (And significantly more militarized than before, somehow, but you needed an enemy that would shoot back, so I'm willing to over look that one). In the long run it works, but they presentation from a game-to-game basis always felt really inconsistent to me. I question how their role in 3 would have been different if people had warmed up to them more, and bought into the percieved Good Intentions.

You kind of see that happening in Dragon Age 2, with the way the conflict between Mages and Templars plays out. It all feels like they really went out of their way to make it appear less one-sided than it is. That could have been so much better than it was -The slice we got in Origins was fantastic- but it suffered with everything else in that game, so every Templar was an asshole except Cullen (Who should have been an asshole, considering his mental state when you meet him in Origins), and damn near every mage you meet was a blood magic user or an abomination. It was all very one-dimensional.

It does look pretty good. Undeniably gorgeous, although I can't deny I'm disappointed about the direction they seem to be taking the story in.

It was frustrating enough that Mass Effect 3's story was, in the broad strokes, identical to Dragon Age: Origins', and it looks like they're rehashing it again here. You are the ONLY SURVIVOR and hence the ONLY ONE who can stop the Fade apocalypse/ Blight/ Reaper invasion. I'll reserve judgement, of course, and I guess you expect a certain amount of this sort of storytelling in a fantasy RPG, but it would be nice if they'd done something a bit different.

Anachronism:
It does look pretty good. Undeniably gorgeous, although I can't deny I'm disappointed about the direction they seem to be taking the story in.

It was frustrating enough that Mass Effect 3's story was, in the broad strokes, identical to Dragon Age: Origins', and it looks like they're rehashing it again here. You are the ONLY SURVIVOR and hence the ONLY ONE who can stop the Fade apocalypse/ Blight/ Reaper invasion. I'll reserve judgement, of course, and I guess you expect a certain amount of this sort of storytelling in a fantasy RPG, but it would be nice if they'd done something a bit different.

The reason why they are going back to the BioWare standard story arc is because of how people reacted to Dragon Age 2's story and how they tried something different and along with the other problems of the game it was something that people didn't seem to like. It will be interesting to see if Inquisition is successful where they might take the story next time, stay safe or try something different?

Huh... this looks great. I have a terrible urge to pre-order this game.

Okay.
At least it is being released this year.

Although I do have some things to talk about.
- This trailer did not view much about gameplay, so that doesn't look good in my mind.
- It looks ten times better then the past two games combined! :D
- The story, it seems a whole like "The Chosen One" on a bigger scale, while I don't mind the whole Chosen One thing, I just hope it doesn't go to crap like Dragon Age 2 or Mass Effect 3. Also some connection from Dragon Age: Origins and 2 would be great, although I'm playing it on my PS4, so hopefully I can choose what happened before.
- The Characters ... we seem to have a lot of them, I think I saw Leliana too, hopefully the Champion and Hawke will be there too.

Still, I am excited for this and like many people, I am pleading with God to not let them screw this up!
But I'm very sceptical due to the recent traffic that EA and Bioware have gained lately

Please be good, please be good!
I'll pre-order it, but I'll be annoyed if it turns to be shit. D:

StormShaun:

When it turns out to be shit, you'll get what you deserve.

Sanunes:

Anachronism:

The reason why they are going back to the BioWare standard story arc is because of how people reacted to Dragon Age 2's story and how they tried something different and along with the other problems of the game it was something that people didn't seem to like. It will be interesting to see if Inquisition is successful where they might take the story next time, stay safe or try something different?

Which annoys me since I'm one of the few that thought DA2's story was so much more interesting. I still like Origins, DA2 reminded me of something Obsidian would write, trying to balance the morality, making everyone guilty of something to incite the mage-templar conflict, sort of like FO:New Vegas, or KotOR 2 (which, again, I hold to be much better than the original, as great as it was).
THis actually strikes me more as trying to do both at once though, and I'm not sure that's wise. Are we supposed to focus on the Mage civil war with both parties pushing their own rhetoric, or is the whole "Demons everywhere destroying the world" plot going to totally overshadow it?

I expect at least one Monty Python referrence.

Other than that, I agree with others who say that this isn't much of a 'gameplay' trailer, so much as it is a combat trailer.

But then again, how do you build an exciting trailer about dialogue choices and crafting?

hum... pre rendered cutscenes and cgi aren't part of the gameplay... Beside all of this, i remember some other Bioware's games that had good trailer and were average at best (swtor or DA2 for example).
With them i trust what i see.

There is a fair amount of game play shown actually, few fighting scenes etc, sure it isn't all gameplay, but i wouldnt say there wasn't much.

And considering it looks this good now, it will look glorious in October, already seems to be better than 2, but then again all 2 needed was some more area's to explore and few more towns and vilages, (not even another city, vilages and towns would of been fine) and it would of been great.

StormShaun:
Okay.
At least it is being released this year.

Although I do have some things to talk about.
- This trailer did not view much about gameplay, so that doesn't look good in my mind.
- It looks ten times better then the past two games combined! :D
- The story, it seems a whole like "The Chosen One" on a bigger scale, while I don't mind the whole Chosen One thing, I just hope it doesn't go to crap like Dragon Age 2 or Mass Effect 3. Also some connection from Dragon Age: Origins and 2 would be great, although I'm playing it on my PS4, so hopefully I can choose what happened before.
- The Characters ... we seem to have a lot of them, I think I saw Leliana too, hopefully the Champion and Hawke will be there too.

Still, I am excited for this and like many people, I am pleading with God to not let them screw this up!
But I'm very sceptical due to the recent traffic that EA and Bioware have gained lately

Please be good, please be good!

they said Hawke and the Grey Warden will be there too
and given that DA2 takes place during Inquisition, Leliana WILL be there
as for the gameplay, there's various actual gameplay trailers around, though they're mostly the E3 demo reel types
I'll keep my eye on this one tho
I wanna preorder the deluxe edition, but the shit is that it's digital and Origin loves pulling 30kbps download speeds on me

MinionJoe:

StormShaun:

if it turns out to be shit, you'll get what you deserve.

Fixed for ya.

Sure Bioware have had a few mishaps, but i wouldn't say what they have done has been complete shit, just...Different to what people expected. For all we know this could be GOTY and Bioware could redeem themselves. And tbh, i hope they do, Dragon Age: Origins was great, Kotor years ago was glorious, and the Mass Effect games were great to.

Admittedly Dragon Age 2 and Mass Effect 3 were...different, but by no means unplayble, everyone wanted this, that and the other and got something completely different. TOR did the same but still has players going to it.

I'm not saying i have high hopes for this game, but i am willing to give it a chance. What i see so far has me really interested, If they have all this done now, October should be very interesting.

I am trying so hard to come up with a joke about no one expecting a Dragon Age: Inquisition. Sadly, I can't.

OT - Looks interesting. Fro the fragments of story in the trailer, it sounds like it could have good writing at least.

arc1991:

MinionJoe:

StormShaun:

if it turns out to be shit, you'll get what you deserve.

Fixed for ya.

Sure Bioware have had a few mishaps, but i wouldn't say what they have done has been complete shit, just...Different to what people expected. For all we know this could be GOTY and Bioware could redeem themselves. And tbh, i hope they do, Dragon Age: Origins was great, Kotor years ago was glorious, and the Mass Effect games were great to.

Admittedly Dragon Age 2 and Mass Effect 3 were...different, but by no means unplayble, everyone wanted this, that and the other and got something completely different. TOR did the same but still has players going to it.

I'm not saying i have high hopes for this game, but i am willing to give it a chance. What i see so far has me really interested, If they have all this done now, October should be very interesting.

I can stand by that sentiment. Bioware are by no means glorious gods who make no flaws, but I've never played a game of theirs that was objectively bad. Whether or not you hate the ending of ME3, it is the best shooting and combat that Mass Effect has ever had, SWtOR may be a bit wasteful with it's design, but I've still played through half the character stories, a couple of which are brilliantly fun (looking at you Imp Agent). So no, despite my occasionaly complaints about Bioware, I don't think its necessarily fair to say anything they've made is total crap, especially not when we live in an age where things like "Guise of the Wolf" or "Metal Gear: Ground Zeroes" can commit much bigger sins than growing somewhat milquetoast.

arc1991:

Sure Bioware have had a few mishaps, but i wouldn't say what they have done has been complete shit, just...Different to what people expected.

And despite these multiple and repeated "mishaps", people are still publicly admitting to pre-ordering the game. Once BiowEAr get their money, they're no longer under any obligation to create an enjoyable (or even playable) product. Yet people expecting this title (from this company) to break that historical pattern?

Look, the media has, in recent years, made effective use of peer-pressure to try and keep people from doing stupid things. I don't see why the same tactic shouldn't be used to encourage people to not make the similar, stupid mistake of pre-ordering entertainment products. Especially given the industry's history of not delivering on any promise that was made.

You'd think people would have learned by now, but apparently not. It's time to change tactics.

On 10/21 we should have a good idea of what actual players think of it. Some folks just can't resist those preorder bonuses. I love you.

jFr[e]ak93:
I am trying so hard to come up with a joke about no one expecting a Dragon Age: Inquisition. Sadly, I can't.

OT - Looks interesting. Fro the fragments of story in the trailer, it sounds like it could have good writing at least.

No one expects the Ferelden Inquisition! Fear and surprise, those are our two weapons. Fear and surprise and a fanatical devotion to the Divine. Hm. Amongst our weaponry we have such diverse elements as fear, surprise, a fanatical devotion to the Divine, i'll come in again.

On-Topic: This is looking pretty good. Now if Bioware learns from their previous games this could be pretty awesome. After all ME3 (sans ending) did show a lot of learning happening.

You know I've never played any of the dragon age's but the story and combat here intrigue me. For any of those who've played any of them, what is the combat like? I would hope it's something different than mash all the buttons but not so difficult that it would be hard to get into.

It doesn't really show much gameplay does it?

Character/city designis horrendous though, maps look appealing on the other hand, it's almost as if characters and architecture were done by usual BW team that couldn't capitalize on features given to them by tools at their disposal and maps were created by Dice or somebody else ;)

Saucycarpdog:
You know I've never played any of the dragon age's but the story and combat here intrigue me. For any of those who've played any of them, what is the combat like? I would hope it's something different than mash all the buttons but not so difficult that it would be hard to get into.

DA combat system is pretty straightforward on PC it's your usual micro management of 4 character party, with tactical pause and skill bar to aid you however it's simple almost primitive compared to NWN2 or Drakensang. DAO was slow-paced and required some strategy to win certain fights but it's very easy to get into. DA2 combat was similar but more flashy and tedious, Orsino fight is the epitome of what is wrong with that system - long fights with bosses that cannot kill you, however you must suffer through them to see all the awesome things developers prepared which end up not being awesome at all. DA3 combat, from what I've gathered, seems to be aiming at something between DAO and Witcher 2, tactical pause and with free camera seems to be retained however you can also easily switch into TPP roll around and just perform some combo attacks with your party members acting as AI controlled supports.

Saucycarpdog:

Thats kind of tricky because the combat shifted radically between the two games. In Origins it was very much like earlier games of theirs, like Kotor or Neverwinter Nights. You could pause, issue orders to your companions, abilities on a quickbar, etc. Kinda slow and boring at times if you weren't into it, but the story carried the game anyway.
In DA2 the combat was sort of similar, but much more interactive, spells having different effects or areas of effect that you could place, a lot better sound and combat animations that made it feel like there was more action, overlapping abilities with your companions to maximize the effect. The problem was that many of the side quests, and even main story quests, reused locations and battlefields, had very few differing environments, and had an annoying penchant for spawning new waves of enemies out of the ether just when you thought you'd won a fight. The story was also very differant, forgoing the globetrotting save the world epic feel of DA:O in favor of a more intimate story focusing on a smaller cast of characters over the course of 10 years. I liked it a lot, but I can understand people being put off by it.
Long story short, the combat in 2 improved some things but made new problems. I enjoy it more, but I certainly think Origins is the better game in terms of quality.

Saucycarpdog:

They have changed the combat in both games, in fact Origins had different combat between the PC and console versions. In Origins (for the PC) it was a lot more tactical oriented with the ability to zoom out and make decisions that way. With Dragon Age 2 the tactical camera was gone and combat sped up a great deal, but felt like most of the other over the shoulder games. In both games you could select anyone in party and play and them and switch at anytime.

Now from everything I have been reading and that one video on YouTube that was taken last summer, it looks like they are aiming for a mix of the two, keeping the speed of combat from Dragon Age 2, but adding back in the tactical combat from Dragon Age: Origins.

james.sponge:

Character/city designis horrendous though, maps look appealing on the other hand, it's almost as if characters and architecture were done by usual BW team that couldn't capitalize on features given to them by tools at their disposal and maps were created by Dice or somebody else ;)

Seriously? Did you see the character models in Origins? These look incredible by comparison. At least their teeth move when they speak.

swiftax:

Which annoys me since I'm one of the few that thought DA2's story was so much more interesting. I still like Origins, DA2 reminded me of something Obsidian would write, trying to balance the morality, making everyone guilty of something to incite the mage-templar conflict, sort of like FO:New Vegas, or KotOR 2 (which, again, I hold to be much better than the original, as great as it was).
THis actually strikes me more as trying to do both at once though, and I'm not sure that's wise. Are we supposed to focus on the Mage civil war with both parties pushing their own rhetoric, or is the whole "Demons everywhere destroying the world" plot going to totally overshadow it?

I agree, I preferred the story of Dragon Age 2, I frequently say that the things I liked and disliked about Dragon Age: Origins and Dragon Age 2 were completely reversed between the two games.

swiftax:

james.sponge:

Seriously? Did you see the character models in Origins? These look incredible by comparison. At least their teeth move when they speak.

I did and I think they looked horrible :) BW was never good at character design - with some ME characters being an exception - and this game just confirms it. And when you compare their designs with games like Bioshock Infinite, The Witcher 2/3, Assassin's Creed, Deus Ex Human Revolution or Dishonored it's very hard to be impressed by what they presented so far.

Mcoffey:

In Mass Effect 1, they made it really clear that Cerberus are these irredeemable bastards. Then, everything in Mass Effect 2 was telling you that was just a few rogue cells and that they're really not so bad. Only a few people like Anderson and Ash/Kaiden had anything bad to say about them, if I remember correctly. Then they flip-flopped again and just made them completely evil (And significantly more militarized than before, somehow, but you needed an enemy that would shoot back, so I'm willing to over look that one). In the long run it works, but they presentation from a game-to-game basis always felt really inconsistent to me. I question how their role in 3 would have been different if people had warmed up to them more, and bought into the percieved Good Intentions.

Now...don't take this the wrong way and assume that I'm OK with the decisions that Bioware made in ME3, but here i have to disagree.

The story arc in ME3 for Cerberus was that the leadership became indoctrinated and turned around and executed it on all their people. If you read the available notes, emails, etc in the game you see the pro-human Cerberus employee's not realize what was going on until it was too late. The Illusive Man himself doesn't even turn out to be evil, he's sacrificing everything to attempt to save humans and doesn't realize how far he's fallen. And even at the very end, he thinks he's able to control them without understanding that they've been pulling his strings.

The arc for Cerberus in ME3 completely lines up with ME1 and M2 and (unlike the ending of the game) is done very well IMHO.

On topic...I want to get excited about this game, but Bioware has burned me twice in recent memory, so I'm going to wait for reviews. I hope it turns out well.

Damn I'm so excited for this. Might be the first time in a long time I actually pre-order the special collectors edition of a game.

Oh, how i laughed at it being called "gameplay trailer". Nice try bioware, but how about an actual gameplay trailer next, ok?
anyways, i'm getting hyped for this game with what i've seen so far, and we finally get a reveal of all the companions and eventual waifus/husbandos.

Wait, is that Cullen on the far left?
*goes to investigate*

EDIT: OH HELL YES IT IS. Yay~ my favorite crazy turned awesome templar is returning and is a potential love interest

Called it. The Fade is broken, and demons are coming through. So glad this is the storyline they went through.

Got to love how, even as the world is falling apart, humans still find time to kill each other in wars instead of trying to work together.

Please, please, please tell me that the female voice actress is better than the male one. He sounded too generic. Or we can pick different voices for me. Or different styles of talking, like Dragon Age II.

So. Super. EXCITED!

The Deluxe Edition has some pretty swish extras (imo at least). I kind of want the Halla mount...
My problem is that you can only get the PC Deluxe Edition as a download from Origin; there's no physical disc version.
At least not in the UK (not sure about elsewhere). Game have got the exlusive rights to the Deluxe Edition (again :|) and the only PC version they have is the normal one. However, you can get physical versions of the console Deluxes :/

All my saves are for the PC and there's also the wonders of modding to consider...
Alas, it appears that the Deluxe Edition and I were not meant to be :'(

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or