Physics Students Discover How to Replicate Street Fighter's Hadouken

Street Fighter Hadouken

The key to executing a Hadouken in real life is beating the current record for fastest dodgeball throw.

Students of the University of Leicester's Department of Physics and Astronomy investigated just how average humans like ourselves could create a Hadouken-type fireball, a special attack used by certain Street Fighter characters. The students, A. Toohie, J. McGuire, and A. Pohl, discovered a way - unfortunately, their conclusion indicated their method is currently impossible to execute.

The students' method included soaking a dodgeball in gasoline and throwing it fast enough for it to so that the viscous drag forces would ignite the fuel. In order for the fuel to ignite, a person would have to throw the gasoline-soaked dodgeball at 93 miles per hour. The current fastest dodgeball throwers can throw a dodgeball around 66 miles per hour. Even if someone could throw a dodgeball at 93 mph, the students concluded even this wouldn't be enough.

"Even if we assume the player could still throw as fast with a gasoline-soaked dodgeball as with a normal dodgeball," the students concluded in their paper, which was published in the Journal of Physics Special Topics, "they would not be able to attain this autoignition velocity even momentarily, and as such could certainly not maintain it for any length of time, as would be required for the ball to ignite."

It may be impossible for a human to throw a dodgeball with the required velocity, but mechanical launching methods could provide a solution. Perhaps we were not meant to master the Hadouken.

Source: Journal of Physics Special Topics via io9

Well then, I say we get the US Navy on it - fire that thing out of a massive gun. Money well-spent.

Why is the picture from xTekken, tho?
If you're gonna talk about street fighter hadouken, at least get a picture from a good game.

Barbas:
Well then, I say we get the US Navy on it - fire that thing out of a massive gun. Money well-spent.

Now, even though it won't be a thing, I want to see Naval Dodgeball become a thing.

I'm in shambles...

LOOK WHAT YOU'VE DONE TO ME!

More on topic, I'd really like to see the guys at Mythbusters get on this.

Not so much a Hadouken as it is a fireball, but still, kind of neat.

I enjoy the idea of phycisists and students spending their down time validating ideas from fictional works.

Why is this news? Bottom line is, it's impossible.

Oh man, bullying is gonna get a lot rougher.

Also, this is not really a Hadouken. Ryu just seems to create a fireball from nothing (God knows how), whereas this is basically an inflammable dodgeball.

*pushes nerd glasses up*

Hey, Leicester is where I live. =D

Cool idea but not really sure what else to go on by this~

roseofbattle:

In order for the fuel to ignite, a person would have to throw the gasoline-soaked dodgeball at 93 miles per hour. Even if someone could throw a dodgeball at 93 mph, the students concluded even this wouldn't be enough.

Wait so to make it work you have to throw at 93 mph, BUT throwing at 93 mph isn't enough to make it work? I'm confused

fluxy100:

roseofbattle:

In order for the fuel to ignite, a person would have to throw the gasoline-soaked dodgeball at 93 miles per hour. Even if someone could throw a dodgeball at 93 mph, the students concluded even this wouldn't be enough.

Wait so to make it work you have to throw at 93 mph, BUT throwing at 93 mph isn't enough to make it work? I'm confused

you would have to sustain at least a 93 mph throw in order to ignite the gasoline.

since the world isn't a frictionless vacuum, there would need to be a constant acceleration. In reality you would probably need to reach a higher speed just to maintain that constant.

So this news story is "university says "you can't do a hadouken"" well no shit! What next? Local college says "sun walk impossible, even at night"?

What they did wasn't even a hadouken, it was stupid teens trying to be sciencey. Just take the science away and cover a basketball in a flammable liquid, light it and throw it ... that would be a better way of doing it anyway!

Even then that's not really a fireball, just a ball on fire, kind of an important distinction.
Still an interesting fact though.

1) Obtain a pitching machine
2) Rig it to launch at 100mph
3) Soak a bucket full of baseballs in gasoline
4) Get the hell off my lawn

While I would question the legality of throwing fire accelerant at people (no pun intended), improvised weaponry on it's own is surprisingly legal in the US. Also, flamethrowers.

Having said that, this is impractical as hell, on top of being dangerous and irresponsible.

I really want to see this on Mythbusters now.

Barbas:

Baseballs and fire.

America!

MY GOD! the potential for this reaserch is endless....
i hope these were not graduate students.
seemslike somthingone could figure out with a set of data and some not so complex math.

Barbas:

Or the Mythbusters. If they can fire a ping-pong ball at super-sonic speeds I'm sure they can get this puppy to auto-ignite.

EDIT: Better link.

Adam Jensen:
Why is this news? Bottom line is, it's impossible.

Impossible for a human. Anyone who stops there is a quitter.

I was looking forward to seeing a video of some student hadoukening the shit out of his lab partner or something.

SKBPinkie:
Ryu just seems to create a fireball from nothing (God knows how)

The anime explains it as him focusing his "chi" or life force to a point. Starts off just being able to blow out a candle before it progresses into a ball of pain.

Barbas:

Or the crew from Mythbusters perhaps.

So if I soak the front of my car with gasoline and drive down the interstate at 95mph, I'll burst into flames?

I somehow doubt the figures the physics student has caluculated.

Doubly so since Firefox says the source link is "an untrusted source". ;P

"Round One..."
"Wait, wait. Ryu, before we fight, what's in the bag?"
"...Nothing..."
"Wait. Is that full of gasoline-soaked dodgeballs?"
"...No..."
"Oh come on. That's got to be against some kind of rules...!"

So what you're saying is:
Street Fighter isn't some no-holds-barred brawler wherein fighters from around the world pummel each other into a pulp, but rather is the most over-dramatic, overly cinematic games of dodgeball ever conceived?

That series makes so much more sense now. It's all so clear...

is it just me or does this seem like a hell of a one track mind way to "throw a fireball" at someone.

we were throwing "Hadoken!" fireballs at each other when i was 13...

all you needed was a bonfire, some bog roll and balls/idiocy...

now you may well say "well ofc, but that's a bit of a set up...also probably quite dangerous"...

...to which i'd say "so's a petrol soaked dodge ball -.-"

Seeing as they're already using both a dodgeball and enough gasoline to thoroughly soak it might I perhaps suggest just adding a lighter to that mix?

Soak dodgeball, set it on fire, then throw it at whatever speed you wish.

This is why cannons exist

Well that may cover the Hadouken but what about the Shoryuken?

Please tell me they didn't get a scholarship...

roseofbattle:

Students of the University of Leicester's Department of Physics and Astronomy

oh God university of Leicester do some real work will you!

Am I the only one having a hard time with this one?

In order for the ball to ignite, you would need to be able to hit a velocity of 93mph... followed immediately by, "Even if someone could throw a dodgeball at 93 mph, the students concluded even this wouldn't be enough.

Either 93mph is enough, or it's not, it can't be both.

Wait,93mph? I'm sure that's a typo...surely 88mph?

Also, what about a baseball instead? Charlie Sheen can throw them that fast.

Gods, I so want to link to XKCD right here, but let's just say why stop there? I mean, if you want to level L.A., all you have to do is pitch a baseball at 95% the speed of light.

I dunno, I mean...research like this, while fun to read and play with numbers, it's something more suited for free time shenanigans.

Baresark:

In order for the ball to ignite, you would need to be able to hit a velocity of 93mph... followed immediately by, "Even if someone could throw a dodgeball at 93 mph, the students concluded even this wouldn't be enough.

Immediately after launch the object would slow down, so the momentary 93mph is not enough, has to be much higher then that.

And that is why you pick an ignition source that goes off at lower levels, hell even one that self ignites in atmosphere... rather obvious.

Mr.K.:

Baresark:

Immediately after launch the object would slow down, so the momentary 93mph is not enough, has to be much higher then that.

And that is why you pick an ignition source that goes off at lower levels, hell even one that self ignites in atmosphere... rather obvious.

I thought the most obvious thing is that once gasoline is ignited, it will stay burning till it burns away. You wouldn't actually need to keep it at ignition speed in order for it to stay burning, it would only have to reach a speed high enough to initially ignite it.

It actually may be more possible that initially thought. Check out ncdadodgeball.com I'm apart of the NCDA and our best throwers average in the mid-high 70s mph with 8.5 inch rubber balls. The fastest thrown that was clocked with a speed gun was 82mph. While no one has hit 93+ mph, it still may be more possible than when this idea was initially thought of.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here